• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I got an email at like half passed 5 in the morning today that there was a successful login to my twitch account all the way in Los Angeles, and I'm in New York.

First of all, I literally never use twitch. And second of all, what the fuck? So I log into twitch myself for the first time just to change my password, enable 2 step verification and then I say to myself, fuck it I never even use it so I disabled it.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. It happened with Netflix as well. Just change passwords and sign up for 2 step verification. It's getting easier for anyone to hack passwords.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I got an email at like half passed 5 in the morning today that there was a successful login to my twitch account all the way in Los Angeles, and I'm in New York.

First of all, I literally never use twitch. And second of all, what the fuck? So I log into twitch myself for the first time just to change my password, enable 2 step verification and then I say to myself, fuck it I never even use it so I disabled it.

I imagine they have/had access to your Amazon account...
Might want to check purchases.

Am I misremembering, or did you also have issues with PSN wayback?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Not Twitch, but other accounts. Unique passwords and 2FA all the things.

Oct 27, 2017
Got you beat there OP, I had an email from the Epic Game Store that someone had logged into my account...

Except I hadn't opened an Epic Store account yet. Managed to get into it and change all the passwords, and get 2FA on it.

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
This is happening with me as well. Yesterday from Russia and today from Vietnam. I recently lost my twitch account for suspension, an account I have used for years, and it said it was indefinitely suspended for breaching several TOS violations. I rarely use my twitch other than linking it with curse gaming, so I am positive it was hacked. I tried to send an e-mail to twitch about this but they are not helping me out at all, so I created a new account and in two days it has had multiple successful logins. I wonder what's going on.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They hack Twitch accounts to use your prime sub (if you have your amazon prime associated with your twitch account) usually for the Fortnite items. They then sell the Fortnite account with the 'rare' items on ebay. When I got my account back and I was prime subscribed to a random guy.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This happens all the time across the internet. It's not a new thing. 2FA and password managers are your friends.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Use 2fa. Don't use the google Authenticator app. Use something like Authy so you can use it across multiple devices. Also be aware of phishing emails. I have gotten a few that were pretending to be PayPal.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine they have/had access to your Amazon account...
Might want to check purchases.

Am I misremembering, or did you also have issues with PSN wayback?
What's Amazon got to do with twitch? And thankfully nah I never really had an issue with PsN, but I always make sure to not have credit card info on there anyway. I remember several threads here of it getting hacked for others and that was a key suggestion
Got you beat there OP, I had an email from the Epic Game Store that someone had logged into my account...

Except I hadn't opened an Epic Store account yet. Managed to get into it and change all the passwords, and get 2FA on it.
Isnt Epic Store some new shit? And you just recently made an account and it already got hacked?
They hack Twitch accounts to use your prime sub (if you have your amazon prime associated with your twitch account) usually for the Fortnite items. They then sell the Fortnite account with the 'rare' items on ebay. When I got my account back and I was prime subscribed to a random guy.
Wow, crazed Fortnite motherfuckers is the root cause of the twitch infiltration huh. Goddamn. I don't have amazon prime but I do shop on amazon every now and then, how do I know I'm free from danger?

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
Oh yeah sorry about that bro was going to tell you I used your account to watch some Apex streams but yeah haha surprise

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
They try to buy gift subscriptions and send them to themselves. Twitch support can refund them but there's no option to cancel/refund through the account panel.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I had the same issue. I think it's a robot, because I immediately activates two step authentication. Now my phone gets bombarded with passcode texts.

Thagirion

Dec 6, 2018

Mine was Taiwan

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Yup me too, ssems like signs of desperation, ubi too, instagram etc

2fa helps except when u get texts at 3am, 3;15am , 4am, 4:30am, 5, 6 etc that's annoying

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
OP check this website https://haveibeenpwned.com/ if your email shows on there then it's probably wise to change your email address on your accounts, I had issues like this for ages on multiple accounts but the second I changed my email on them all it fixed the problem.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
OP check this website https://haveibeenpwned.com/ if your email shows on there then it's probably wise to change your email address on your accounts, I had issues like this for ages on multiple accounts but the second I changed my email on them all it fixed the problem.
No pwnage found, but thanks for this. I wonder if I should have freaked out if they found something

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Literally happened to me 5 days ago. Login from Brazil. Changed all my passwords that I could that I had saved which was quite tedious but man, can't be too safe. This shit is outrageous...

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had multiple login attempts on Uplay from India, China and Indonesia. I already changed my password and put on 2FA. They still attempt to login.
Luckily, Ubisoft sends out email notification if there is a suspicious login on my account now.

I have been pwned before, so I had to change all my passwords. Yeah, its a pain.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
2fa for Twitch is a must. Every week, at least 4 times, I'll get a text from Twitch giving me the authentication code. Someone consistently tries to get into it. And that's with nothing on it.

Nec

The Fallen
Mar 12, 2019
A few months ago someone hacked my Epic Account, linked his PS4 and everything, the problem was, my Epic password was my default password for almost everything, so, a bunch of people enter in my twitch account (my FFXIV Key was stole), Spotify, Battle.net, Ubi account, for my luck nothing was change (and major accounts like steam and gmail has another password), just lost de FFXIV key, and change every password that I had. And some websites don't even have some kind of warning when someone suspect enters in your account, I just hate when I receive email without any kind of location or IP from who is in my account.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium

How do you find out where you were pwned though? Mine got 1 result but fuck knows where it's from because my email is totally safe.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
Happened to me a few weeks ago, but I can no longer access my account. I had the twitch account on an old email I dont check often so by the time I found it it was too late. Ive been waiting weeks now for a reply from twitch support which is aparently normal for them. I dont care much about the account but I do want to keep the twitch prime library it had.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
What's wrong with the Google authenticator? I use this for most of my stuff...
Nothing at all. However if you get rid of your device or need to wipe your phone out then you loose your 2fa accounts. Authy allows you to sync them from the cloud under an account. Also Authy has a desktop app that allows you to get codes as well.

Nec

The Fallen
Mar 12, 2019
Wow you're right and it's a site I haven't used for years.... no big deal right?

If you didn't use the pwned site password for other accounts then no, otherwise yes it is a big deal, the type of dudes who does that try to login in every site possible.

Deleted member 55421

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
I dont understand how some people still dont have 2FA enabled on their accounts after all the treads we see regarding this type of stuff.

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
Look out they could be a fake email to get you to go to they site and give your login info never use any link from emails

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Wow you're right and it's a site I haven't used for years.... no big deal right?

If your PW has changed after the breach, you're fine. All they have is old info. I haven't had any issues after I did a major change to my PWs. They got my email/PW from a site I haven't visited in nearly a decade. I assume some older forums I used to visit when I was in college is probably still at risk but they can parade as me if they want. Not like anything valuable is in there.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
What's Amazon got to do with twitch?
Amazon Prime and Twitch Prime are linked to each other, Amazon owns Twitch. I imagine they share the same account infrastructure too, though I believe you can have different credentials on both services.

But you did have a(n unused) Twitch account already? Or did someone set-up an account on your email adres?
Edit: seemed you already had an account.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
main security problem is when you use the same password on many things, I had that happen, a password from some forum or other website leaked and people managed to use it for some stuff like Origin, but it was very easy for me to solve it at least,
so yeah, don't use the same passwords.

Dec 20, 2018
My buddies twitch account just got stolen last week. I legit have no idea why because he doesn't have prime, he doesn't sub to anyone, and he doesn't even stream.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
main security problem is when you use the same password on many things, I had that happen, a password from some forum or other website leaked and people managed to use it for some stuff like Origin, but it was very easy for me to solve it at least,
so yeah, don't use the same passwords.

I think after the initial breach with PSN way back, I ended up changing my PW for every site I go to. Haven't had any issues after that especially with 2FA being used for pretty much everything. Only some mega old forums/sites I no longer visit might be fucked but who cares.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Had a guy use my cc for a hotel room in London and some shitty cologne. Still don't know how it was hacked.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, crazed Fortnite motherfuckers is the root cause of the twitch infiltration huh. Goddamn. I don't have amazon prime but I do shop on amazon every now and then, how do I know I'm free from danger?

Set up two step verification on your twitch account (I have it on my amazon too). They send a code to your phone when you log in to stop hackers who only have your log in details

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
99.9% of the time this happens because people don't use strong unique passwords for every single account. 2FA was introduced because of this reason. I think 2FA is crutch and is actually teaching people bad password habits. "Hmm I have 2FA, I can use whatever password because nothing can happen to my account now!"

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
99.9% of the time this happens because people don't use strong unique passwords for every single account. 2FA was introduced because of this reason. I think 2FA is crutch and is actually teaching people bad password habits. "Hmm I have 2FA, I can use whatever password because nothing can happen to my account now!"

Trying to remember unique passwords for every website is such a god damn hassle. Thank god for login credential programs that handle everything for me.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Epic don't even verify email addresses when you create an account. They do this because it pushes their numbers up.

The whole point of 2FA is that it's more secure because it changes every ~30 seconds if you're using an app rather than SMS or email.
Microsoft have even been trialing password-less sign-in options for some of their services, using their authenticator app in place of a password.

It's still a good idea to use a unique and secure password, but that's far less important now if you're using 2FA.
You could post your password online and people still wouldn't be able to get into the account if they don't have the authenticator.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Happened to me too, OP. Somebody from Italy hijacked my account very randomly. I changed my login infos and haven't had an issue since.