• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lucentto

Oct 25, 2017
Well, to be more specific I hydroplaned on the highway. I lost control, hit the left side wall, then spun until I stopped on the other side. My car was completely destroyed on the front side, but at least i'm not dead. I somehow didn't hit a single other driver while I was spinning in the middle of the highway.

So how was your day today guys?

Sully

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear you are safe man, thats really scary, i work as an insurance adjuster if you need to pm me for any advice on the process, i imagine your car is totalled

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Good to hear you're okay. That must've been horrifying. Thankfully you didn't get injured and didn't hit anyone else.

I've hydroplaned before, but thankfully got out of it. I have had a similar accident, though, and it's my only one:

I was DDing for friends who wanted to go to the bar as a group. One lived near me in the country, so I took a back road to her house. Well, just after I left it started to sleet. I took it slowly, and even stopped behind someone else who was stopped ahead of this really steep corner with a guardrail on one side. He took it slowly, and I did too -- less than the speed limit and I don't think I was going too fast. Well, I hit black ice and the van started to carry towards the guardrail. Thankfully nobody was coming. I pumped the breaks and got the vehicle to a crawl, and angled it so that the bumper would just tap the guardrail on the side.

Well, I don't know anything about cars. While the bumper didn't show any damage, the limited impact and the area at which it occurred snapped the control arm for the front left wheel, causing it to move erratically while driving. I got it home, and my Mom quietly took it in to get fixed so that I wouldn't get in trouble from my Dad, who found out later anyways. She paid for a realignment, the control arm and an oil change.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I had a small ish accident almost two months ago. I must've been going too fast on a sharpish turn in the rain and when I hit the brakes to slow down my car didn't turn. It slid right into the curb. It was my shitty daily driver car and all I lost was the bumber and tire rod on the left side. Still it was terrifying. Thank Christ I didn't hit anyone.

Also now I'm terrified of driving in the rain. I drive really really slow in it. Hopefully it passes.

Magilla

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dude(tte) I'm glad you are OK. Hydroplaning is scary as fuck. You are just at the mercy of the road gods at that point.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Yeah car accidents are scary shit. Glad to hear you'e ok OP. Got in one about 2 years ago and got really lucky as well.

Driving back from the lake utterly exhausted after boating around all day and fell asleep at the wheel. Next thing I know I'm going down into the ditch and spinning out of control. Did 2 360s and miraculously never hit any trees before slamming into a farmer's fence and coming to a stop.

Passenger side door was shot but everything else was ok and car was still drivable. Got the door fixed and still drive the same car to this day.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hydroplaning is the scariest thing that can happen behind the wheel, when it happened to me the front windshield was covered in water too. so i was blind with no control going 80kmph going over a bridge with heavy traffic below. my heart stopped.

i'm glad you're OK OP.

OP
OP
Lucentto

Lucentto

Oct 25, 2017
PICS?
but glad you're ok and no one else was hurt
No pics. In hindsight I probably should have taken some, but that was something that didn't cross my mind after the accident.

I don't want to drive car for a good week or so now. Luckily my job doesn't care if I work from home next week, or however long it takes for my car to get fixed (if it gets fixed).

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Scary stuff, glad you made it out OK.

I hit black ice at 70mph once and my truck drifted dead on across the central divide towards a big rig truck. If the brush in the central divide didn't help me slow to a stop I was dead.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No pics. In hindsight I probably should have taken some, but that was something that didn't cross my mind after the accident.

Honestly, I think it's great that taking pictures wasn't the first thing you thought of after the accident. There's a lot more to be concerned about, like your safety and those around you. Facebook/Youtube don't need any more material, that's for sure.

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hydroplaned once. Thankfully it was 4 am and there were no other cars on the freeway with me, so even though I went through a few lanes and ended up facing the wrong way on traffic, I came out unscathed.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
That's some scary shit, I'm glad you're ok

Fear of hydroplaning or sliding on black ice is one of my greatest driving-related anxieties. I don't care, I'm taking it slow when the road's like that.

A few winters ago I slid off a ramp and ended up into a tree at the bottom of the hill. Thankfully, I just lost a headlight and got a dent but fuck that was terrifying, I should have braked while I was going down the hill but I was so shocked I didn't know how to react
Honestly, I think it's great that taking pictures wasn't the first thing you thought of after the accident. There's a lot more to be concerned about, like your safety and those around you. Facebook/Youtube don't need any more material, that's for sure.

Well, no, it would be pictures for insurance purposes. Sharing them with Facebook ect would be a "nice" bonus heheh

LowMax

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was driving to a friend's house as it started to rain lightly. I realized I went the wrong way in the fork in the highway, so I shot off the closest exit. I was still going about 40-50mph on a 25mph exit. As soon as I saw the curve coming up I put on my brakes and tried to turn.

The tires started to squeel and the car went sideways and off the road. My first though was "oh god don't flip"

The car slowed down a bit while sliding through the dirt, started going backwards. At this point I should have applied the brakes, because unbenownst to me, I was heading toward a concrete barrier, which I hit fairly hard. I thought I totally ruined the back end of my car, but I got out and saw that it was in tact, but the but the bumper was jammed in a bit.