• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperNerd3000

Oct 25, 2017
There's just something about V's look that just doesn't appeal to me. Maybe it's the new character models and animation, I'm not sure -- but I really miss the overall ink-blot theme they had in IV versus what they have now in V, that weird multi-colored wave thing during specials and winner celebrations.

Plus Ken's face. Ken's face.

Every background is worse too in design and stiff NPCs. The new AE gold theme is also a step back, from what they had in V vanilla!! OK bring it on - I'm ready for the hate...

Indestructible lives on

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Street Fighter IV looks ugly as all hell. I do prefer the ink aesthetic than the water stuff they have going now, and Indestructible was good. I also liked how characters' faces would contort during the camera angles for an ultra. That's about it.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
SFIV does a lot of things better than V but art style?

Mutant Fighter IV

Oct 25, 2017
WS_0001_1460972012.jpg

guile_ssf4.jpg

My money is on "rose tinted nostalgia glasses".

Oct 28, 2017
Big Apple 3AM
Hell no. Everything in SFIV is meh. All the characters look like variants of Seth, washed up colors, the weakest looking iteration of Ryu, those janky animations, everyone having blue eyes. The Okami strokes were cute, but art wise, (and gameplay wise depending on who you're asking) I'm glad the age of SFIV is over.

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
100% disagree. V's color palette alone is more vibrant. Also every single fighter is beefcake man in 4. Still beefy in 5 but much less so.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Both games have terrible character models

SFV saving point is that has some of the best stages in the genre

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I could maybe understand this if the game matched its promo materials. The actual in-game execution is more miss than hit though.
Fun Fact: Every character in SFIV has a high poly, cutscene quality model that they used for these promotional artworks and the SFxT trailers.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Big Apple 3AM
Also, as much shit as I give Capcom, the new gold theme is immaculate imo. I understand that it screams "eSports!" but I gotta say the shit is so fucking gorgeous it gives a certain feeling to the game I dig.

still rather play KOF tho.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck no. SF5 is mostly a fantastic looking game with some of the best animation around.
The new characters are more diverse. All the redesigns for existing characters have been fantastic as well, something SF4 didn't even both with.
I feel like all the males and females in 4 have the same body type. Which isn't the case in 5. It feels way more diverse.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in the same boat as you. SFIV is the better looking game, just compare both versions of Ken (the only character that matters)

People in this thread will disagree with you, but the majority of the people agree with us. The reason why SFV sold so poorly was once the general public saw how Ken looked they didn't want to purchase the game. Capcom can't be bothered to fix him, so the best solution that they gave us was armor covering face.

sfiv-ken-622.png

latest

SFV is the better looking game.... lol ok.

Last edited:

raterpillar

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
They're both pretty dreadful (with flashes of good design here and there).
I remember people were widely down on SFIII (freak fighter 3 etc.) but seem to have come around, thank fuck. I can't see these games being reevaluated in the same way.

vsMIC

Oct 31, 2017
outside of a few mistakes i take v over iv, despite my love of iv.

i also preferred the ink effects though. but models and animations in v are great.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Oh I much prefer V's look. I find the light and the materials are very beautiful. And the designs are on point. I thought 4 looked good too but I like the new look better.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
completely disagree. I think V's artstyle looks much better than IV's. Actual in-game artstyle for SFIV was not really good.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Let's also not pretend Ken looks good in IV either.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really agree. I don't love how SFV looks, but I think it's more visually appealing than 4. SF4's character models have aged rather poorly, especially the arcade pre-console assets. Some of the backgrounds look alright, like the China stage, while others (like the volcano stage) has not. SSF4's new assets look way better, though. I think those + the Arcade Edition assets are the best examples from 4, visually.

Also like JayEH says, Ken didn't look that great in SF4 either. Maybe upon release, but not now.

Both games have terrible character models

SFV saving point is that has some of the best stages in the genre

V has excellent character models. And don't mention Ken. There are 29 other characters in the game.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
There are minor design sensibilities that I don't like about SFV's artstyle(why do the tattered parts of Ryu's gi on his shoulder look so clumpy and why did they replicate that same artstyle in Monster Hunter V JUST MAKE THE TATTERED SHREDS LOOK LIKE TATTERED SHREDS ALSO WHO IS MODELING ALL THE HAIR IN THIS GAME)

But compared to SF4? Dawg you are crazy nutso, SF4 looks like assjuice. And its looked like assjuice since day one. I can't believe how underwhelming that game's first in-game screenshot reveal looked after the initial, hyper stylized cg trailer they put out for 4.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I'm in the same boat as you. SFIV is the better looking game, just compare both versions of Ken (the only character that matters)

People in this thread will disagree with you, but the majority of the people agree with us. The reason why SFV sold so poorly was once the general public saw how Ken looked they didn't want to purchase the game. Capcom can't be bothered to fix him, so the best solution that they gave us was armor covering face.

sfiv-ken-622.png

latest

SFV is the better looking game.... lol ok.
Both of those are hideous but the SFIV version looks like a phone game

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Damn just shows how bad SFV looks then, when a "phone game" looks better than one for current gen consoles.
Naw I just mean theyre hideous in different ways. Sf5 Ken's face is terrible but everything else looks decent, Sf4 Ken's everything is terrible

But I always want a reason to post this.

ken-974c6.png

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm gonna have to disagree, especially considering that SFIV aged like milk.

There's just something about V's look that just doesn't appeal to me. Maybe it's the new character models and animation, I'm not sure -- but I really miss the overall ink-blot theme they had in IV versus what they have now in V, that weird multi-colored wave thing during specials and winner celebrations.

Plus Ken's face. Ken's face.

Every background is worse too in design and stiff NPCs. The new AE gold theme is also a step back, from what they had in V vanilla!! OK bring it on - I'm ready for the hate...

Indestructible lives on
You do realize that SFV has some of the best animations in the entire genre, right.

This proves my point.

Oct 28, 2017
Big Apple 3AM
Both of those are hideous but the SFIV version looks like a phone game
It is on phones after all.
But seriously maybe because I grew up with phones evolving to the powerful levels they are now, but I could never get used to that argument. Maybe because I don't see as "Phones can easily render that." vs "I'm impressed that modern phones can render that." We've come a long way for games that can run on phones on that level. I can't cosign with taking that for granted.

Status
Not open for further replies.