• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Been playing LEGO games with my 5 year old since he was 4, and we've been having a ton of fun with them. The most perfect thing is that there has been a game for both of his main interests at this age: dinosaurs and pirates. Well, he took a liking to ghostbusters as a lot of 5 year olds do and I wanted to play a LEGO ghostbusters game with him. Sadly the only version of ghostbusters LEGO was held hostage inside that damned and now defunct toys to life game LEGO dimensions.

After trolling eBay and biting the bullet on amazon I managed to get everything I needed to play all the ghostbusters content in that game. My son was psyched!

Now so far we've been playing LEGO games on my pc with my ultra wide monitor, so split screen was great giving us a lot of horizontal space, and of course all the games ran at 60 FPS give or take some frame rate drops on some levels,

So after the interminable fucking install process, (holy cow Microsoft I could have downloaded this entire game twice over on steam in the time it took to download a damn patch, get your shit together), we get into the game and man. We just Looked at each other. Something was so off about the game. How it controlled and how it felt and how it looked. One of tHe characters also featured this weird animation style where some frames are skipped, and holy cow was this head ache inducing. It took me a few minutes to realize what the problem was.

30 FPS was the problem. Even my kid noticed and asked why is everything slow dad? And why is my screen so small, can't we play it on the puter?

I really hope consoles can hit 60 FPS next gen, and not just occasionally, not just often, but rather the majority of the time. I want to be able to get at some of those mainstream games that might not make it to pc, like LEGO dimensions, but have a good gaming experience with them. The upcoming Xbox will do that right?

Oct 27, 2017
It's not that bad. It's obviously noticeable coming from 60fps but if you persevere (as I'm sure you will) then you'll adjust.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played Monster Hunter World on PS4 for like 200 hours and had no issues. Then I played it for about 40 hours on PC with buttery smooth 60FPS and then went back to PS4 and it was like playing in molasses.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think console games will ever shoot for 60 the majority of the time, but I am hopeful about variable refresh rates making 40/50+ more of a reality.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing FF14 on PC for several years, but because I was lazy and just wanted to find some Aether currents, I logged in on PS4. I have a pro, but it was set to resolution, and...man, it felt so choppy. It gave me a headache.

Luckily there's an FPS mode that, while not perfect, is a lot better.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I played Monster Hunter World on PS4 for like 200 hours and had no issues. Then I played it for about 40 hours on PC with buttery smooth 60FPS and then went back to PS4 and it was like playing in molasses.
To be fair this happens when going to a 60 fps game to a 30 fps game on console as well.

And no, consoles will never prioritize 60 fps over other stuff, they haven't for two decades now. People who really care just stick to PC.

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know the feeling OP. Playing at 120fps just makes it even more jarring. I use a 120hz ultrawide as my main PC monitor, and going back to console game in 16:9 at 30 (or even sub-30...) is really jarring, to the point it hampers my experience. Games are just so much more immersive when they run buttery smooth and you have all that extra screen space.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I must be the few that doesn't give a fuck about FPS most the time.
By most the time I mean games like Bloodstained, 30FPS on Switch but 60FPS on PS4.
So PS4 it is.

Dauntless on PS4 is a slideshow and I've put in hours.

OP
OP
ArnoldJRimmer

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It's not just the lack of fluidity though, it's the latency. And in this particular case it's that damn character with the missing, skipping animations. If you've seen the LEGO movies you know what I mean. It's like faux stop motion. Combined with 30 FPS it made me feel nauseous.

Hopefully we can stick to just this game for the time being and well acclimate.

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
Agreed. It's sickening how prevalent 30fps still is.

Hopefully things like Fortnite/Apex, VR, and Stadia will collectively help raise people's standards so we can one day leave 30fps behind.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
30 FPS is fine if done right, most LEGO games just have a slow feel to them. But also, next gen won't make a difference. FPS comes from how much a game tries to push, and how efficient the code is. If they port that particular game then they can most likely up the frames, but any new game is going to try and push things.

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Real talk? This must suck.

I'd rather be able to adjust to different framerates like now than suddenly getting nauseous or sick about having to play a 30 fps game.

OH NO I WATCHED A 4K BLURAY NOW CABLE TV MAKES ME WANNA THROW UP

Sounds like hell.
Hurting my eyes was exaggerating, but it was definitely noticable when I played sekrio.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
It is super jarring.
I wish for a day when every game would aim for at least a locked 60.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I jump back and forth from my PC at 60+ and my Switch, which is commonly at 30. I notice it but it's definitely not the dealbreaker so many present it to be.

Next gen consoles won't target 60 fps either, might as well accept that. Majority of gamers don't really care about that, and targeting 60+ risks alienating the graphics crowd. I've heard "I can't play that game. The graphics suck!" way more than "this can't even hit steady 60 fps".

Would it be nice for most console games to hit 60? Of course, but it's not going to be the norm.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
All you guys that get headaches playing games that run at less than 60fps are so luck you didn't game in the 80s and 90s or have to game on a budget. Bless you all though must be awful for you.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
30fps is a perfectly fine framerate. Just like any other framerate tho it can be sucky if done poorly, with the likes of not being able to stay locked or having poor framepacing. However, there is absolutely an "oof" transition going to it from 60fps and so on. Once you readjust, everything's good. Reasons like this is why I stopped playing at 120fps, going back to 60fps gave me an "oof" moment. I don't want fricken 60fps to feel bad to me, so I strictly limit myself to it even if I can go above.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I'm routinely jumping between a PC and PS4 Pro, so used to shifts but it always takes a few mins for me to get used to 30 fps after finishing a 60 fps game.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
And here I am still holding out hope that eventually someone on the internet will find a way to remove the 60fps lock on The Crew 2 (not going to happen sadly).

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
All you guys that get headaches playing games that run at less than 60fps are so luck you didn't game in the 80s and 90s or have to game on a budget. Bless you all though must be awful for you.
All you guys whose standards have risen with time would find that in previous years, your current standards wouldn't have been met. Therefore, your current standards are too high.

Step 3: ?????
Step 4: Profit!

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
Tell me about it. It's one of the reasons I love remasters. Older games feel way less accessible when how it runs is such a system shock by comparison. People exaggerate with the "running through butter" stuff, but it is a pretty severe adjustment to make.

After trolling eBay and biting the bullet on amazon I managed to get everything I needed to play all the ghostbusters content in that game. My son was psyched!

I gotta say how cool this is. Back before eBay and Amazon existed my Mum went above and beyond to get game stuff for me. On the day before my 12th birthday, at around 6pm, I told her about the expansion pak needed to play Majora's Mask. I later found out she went into town and had to go all over the place to find one. Your kids will remember the lengths you go to.

30fps is a curse we will never get away from.

If they keep needlessly pushing resolution, yeah.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Well controlled 30fps is fine. It's not preferable, but if a game was made with it in mind, it doesn't cause problems. There are many games however that drop below 30fps, and this can be bad. I have no problem with 30fps, but it needs to actually be locked to that.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy i've never been a fps snob, i wouldn't have experienced some of my favorite games lol.
30 fps, 60 fps, i really don't care.

OP
OP
ArnoldJRimmer

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I get that some of you need to be console warriors and must get all defensive, but chill. Im Just hoping 60 fps becomes more common in consoles. Im not threatning your manhood or anything.

Because "30 fps is.... fine... i guess" is not something we need should need to be saying. Console games should atleast offer a chiice between lower graphics levels and 60 fps and higher settings at 30.

Choices are good, right?

Dark-VIII

Oct 27, 2017
the most important thing is to have a solid frame rates
60 is better of course but if you can't maintain it 90% of the time at least then don't bother

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I cant stabd 30 fps without a TV that has decent auto motion tech. I care way more about getting 60+ FPS than higher fidelity or RTX next gen.

Oct 26, 2017
Wyldstyle is intentionally using stop-motion animation for her attacks. You can substitute someone else instead of her in most cases except puzzles though.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Honestly, for me it's not that bad when playing a game at 30 FPS for a while. It's just that when I go to a 60FPS game, it feels much better.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get that some of you need to be console warriors and must get all defensive, but chill. Im Just hoping 60 fps becomes more common in consoles. Im not threatning your manhood or anything.

Because "30 fps is.... fine... i guess" is not something we need should need to be saying. Console games should atleast offer a chiice between lower graphics levels and 60 fps and higher settings at 30.

Choices are good, right?
That's why pc exists. So you can have all those choices you want.
Most console gamers don't want to endlessly fuck around with optimizing shit. That's the entire point.

Also, you don't have to be a dick about it.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
30 fps can be great if there's high-quality motion blur to go along with it, like Spiderman, Uncharted 4, Horizon, God of War, etc. Without it? It can rough, especially if it's not a stable 30fps.

Truner

Oct 27, 2017
Hungary
Playing Okami HD now at silky smooth 30FPS and I don't see the problem.

I mean yeah, 60FPS is nice, but then again, I play through Star Fox yearly and that game runs at what, 15FPS? Still a blast.
But yeah, I hope it gets better for you, OP. Hang in there!

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

I had the same thing in MHW which is why I eventually sold my PS4 copy and stuck to PC. Same thing in Rocket League, after experiencing it on PC playing it on PS4 feels rough.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
30fps, stable and with proper framepacing, feels perfectly fine to me, even after playing 60fps games like fighters or racers for a while.

Oct 27, 2017
I had forgotten how bad 60 FPS was...

After gaming on a 144Hz / G-Sync IPS panel :p

I kid, but 144Hz is a real game changer for me. Don't think I can play games in 30 FPS any more and I realize I may miss out on some high profile games, but doesn't really bother me.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I don't particularly hate on 30 FPS as a target framerate, but I do think that the sort of game that targets it is going to be designed to be a much slower and, for lack of a better word, heavier-feeling experience than I enjoy in my games.