• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I get that some of you need to be console warriors and must get all defensive, but chill. Im Just hoping 60 fps becomes more common in consoles. Im not threatning your manhood or anything.

Because "30 fps is.... fine... i guess" is not something we need should need to be saying. Console games should atleast offer a chiice between lower graphics levels and 60 fps and higher settings at 30.

Choices are good, right?
For what it worth FH4 does have a 30 FPS high quality 4K vs 1080Pp 60FPS mode and I chose the 30fps as I can't really tell much difference. I'm one of the lucky one that doesn't get headaches though.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
I know the feeling OP. Playing at 120fps just makes it even more jarring. I use a 120hz ultrawide as my main PC monitor, and going back to console game in 16:9 at 30 (or even sub-30...) is really jarring, to the point it hampers my experience. Games are just so much more immersive when they run buttery smooth and you have all that extra screen space.
I'm currently looking for a new PC monitor and was thinking that it might be time to experience 120 hz gaming. But then I think about what that could mean for my console gaming and wonder whether I would be better off not knowing what higher frame rates are like.

OP
OP
ArnoldJRimmer

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
That's why pc exists. So you can have all those choices you want.
Most console gamers don't want to endlessly fuck around with optimizing shit. That's the entire point.

Also, you don't have to be a dick about it.

Im not. Being a dick, im respo ding the couple of people that got defensive and acused me of copy pasta.

And if it take you an endless amount of time to choose from a single low fps and high fps setting. Then i dont know what to tell you.

Oct 26, 2017
I get that some of you need to be console warriors and must get all defensive, but chill. Im Just hoping 60 fps becomes more common in consoles. Im not threatning your manhood or anything.

Because "30 fps is.... fine... i guess" is not something we need should need to be saying. Console games should atleast offer a chiice between lower graphics levels and 60 fps and higher settings at 30.

Choices are good, right?
For a lot of games, it's not quite as simple as tweaking the graphics and resolution to get higher frame-rates. Some games are very CPU intensive or have things that are tied to their frame-rate or what not. That and most folk aren't really all that anal about framerates to begin with so there isn't much incentive there to begin with

OP
OP
ArnoldJRimmer

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Playing Okami HD now at silky smooth 30FPS and I don't see the problem.

I mean yeah, 60FPS is nice, but then again, I play through Star Fox yearly and that game runs at what, 15FPS? Still a blast.
But yeah, I hope it gets better for you, OP. Hang in there!

30 fps is not silky anything.

30 fps is brillo pad smooth.

40-50 fps with variable refrssh display is silky smooth.

60 fps is buttery smooth.

120 fps is baby butt smooth.

And a 144 fps is the smoothest.

These are the proper labels. ;p

RunLoganRun

Jun 2, 2019
It makes me queezy playing at 30fps now. It's a shame too, because I'm missing out on a lot of classic game time, can't even touch an N64.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018

Choices are good, right?

I mean I guess, but there are definitely a lot of games that tie framerate to game logic because it makes it significantly easier to predict/test. Decoupling game logic from specific units of time doesn't necessarily improve a game because it leads to instability in things that people take for granted in titles. (As for me, I tend to regard things like falling through the floor of a game as an amusing novelty more than a dealbreaker but as long as I'm writing a serious post I guess I ought to be open about the fact that I recognize this is not a commonly-held opinion in gamer culture since physics bugs are the one thing most people believe makes or breaks a game)

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My monitor "only" goes up to 100hz and I feel like anything less than 70 is pretty damn rough when playing a PC game. I've definitely gotten spoiled.

OP
OP
ArnoldJRimmer

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I mean I guess, but there are definitely a lot of games that tie framerate to game logic because it makes it significantly easier to predict/test. Decoupling game logic from specific units of time doesn't necessarily improve a game because it leads to instability in things that people take for granted in titles. (As for me, I tend to regard things like falling through the floor of a game as an amusing novelty more than a dealbreaker but as long as I'm writing a serious post I guess I ought to be open about the fact that I recognize this is not a commonly-held opinion in gamer culture since physics bugs are the one thing most people believe makes or breaks a game)

I dont know anyone that still does this... except maybe some japanese games and fighting games maybe?

Not tying your game to the framerate is like game loop 101 things not to do.

You do indeed tie it to time. But not framerate.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I know the feeling OP. Playing at 120fps just makes it even more jarring. I use a 120hz ultrawide as my main PC monitor, and going back to console game in 16:9 at 30 (or even sub-30...) is really jarring, to the point it hampers my experience. Games are just so much more immersive when they run buttery smooth and you have all that extra screen space.

Same here got a ultrawide x34 predator 100hz at 3440x1440 then going back to a 4K 16:9 30fps is a bit eh..

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I dont know anyone that still does this... except maybe some japanese games and fighting games maybe?

Probably several smaller dev games do, but I usually don't go out of my way to peek under the hood. I mean, sure, your triplaaaay stuff isn't going to tie time to framerate, but the triplaaaaay stuff isn't where I put my time or attention

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
That's why pc exists. So you can have all those choices you want.
Most console gamers don't want to endlessly fuck around with optimizing shit. That's the entire point.

This argument really doesn't hold water because a console game is not going to have all of the granular options for optimizing because the hardware is fixed.

What's overwhelming about a selector for prioritizing frame rate vs prioritizing resolution in a console game option menu?

If people can play the games themselves without being overwhelmed, that option shouldn't overwhelm people either.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I go back and forth without a big issue. I understand and appreciate the difference, but never find myself caring one way or the other as long as it's stable.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I play at 165 FPS on my PC and then immediately go to 30 FPS on my PS4 and I'm fine with it. I notice the big difference but it's not annoying.

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018

Funniest thing about that? Most best selling games on consoles run at 60.

People who think PC gamers are the only ones who care for framerate are woefully ignorant.

Choices are good, right?
100%

What Pro and X should've done for every game, frankly.

Sal

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
1*GdcSeFcbQBUbyeZjh8lJ_g.jpeg

OP
OP
ArnoldJRimmer

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Does anyone happen to know if Lego Dimensions runs at 60 on the X? Not that I would splurge for one, but maybe I can borrow one from a friend. Since the line of toys is defunct now I don't think the game will get anything like a remaster or patch support though, so I doubt it...

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
As console players, we played a lot of last gen games at 22ish fps with under 720p resolution. 1080p with stable 30fps was a big improvement.
Like others said, what is important is not going from an upper frame rate to a lower of the same game.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I play at 165 FPS on my PC and then immediately go to 30 FPS on my PS4 and I'm fine with it. I notice the big difference but it's not annoying.
I'm with you on this, and I feel like it's from growing up playing games with no attention on framerate. Back in the NES and SNES days, we didn't talk about framerate, we just said it has heavier controls or something like that. There wasn't a huge market flooded with games so we adapted and didn't complain because it's all we knew.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
30fps is bad and you guys should really stop accepting it. Baffling when people have zero issues with 30fps.
It isn't bad, nor is it baffling that people don't have a problem with it. We're all different. You hate 30fps clearly, but try not to point fingers at others with an "What's wrong with you?!" attitude just because they have no problem with it and even embrace it if it means better graphics.

OP
OP
ArnoldJRimmer

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
If your son noticed it means you're raising him right

The funniest part was that he thought the game was still loading:

"Is the game is still loading daddy?"

Because some of the lego games we played were pretty old (and not super optimized on PC), so sometimes, after a level load ,the game would stutter a bit for like a couple of seconds.

So he thought the stuttery-ness/latency of 30 FPS meant the game was still loading!

Nah son, just 30 FPS.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you on this, and I feel like it's from growing up playing games with no attention on framerate. Back in the NES and SNES days, we didn't talk about framerate, we just said it has heavier controls or something like that. There wasn't a huge market flooded with games so we adapted and didn't complain because it's all we knew.

Exactly!

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. it's not horrible. it just is. Frame pacing is much more of an issue than a consistent frame rate. I feel like if you can watch Into the Spiderverse, which was 15 frames per second held for 2 frames to make it 30fps, then you can play any locked 30fps game without issue. You're just being picky (which is alright, but no hyperbole needed).

Also, unless you want graphics/effects/LOD to stagnate, 30 will always be around.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what you're used to. I remember playing Uncharted 4 multiplayer (60fps) and then playing the horde mode (30fps due to CPU AI routines i guess). Its definitelly quite noticeable jumping between those modes, but personally, it took a few minutes to get used to it. I'm fine with both 30fps and 60fps for the most part.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Does anyone happen to know if Lego Dimensions runs at 60 on the X? Not that I would splurge for one, but maybe I can borrow one from a friend. Since the line of toys is defunct now I don't think the game will get anything like a remaster or patch support though, so I doubt it...
I don't think an X would be good enough for you bud. You clearly have exquisite taste and love to tell people about them so why do it to yourself Ace?

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Doesn't bother me at all really. Instability is more annoying as I can notice the frame drops.

I know 60 fps is objectively superior but for some games I quite like the "filmic" look. Please don't hurt me.