• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
It's not an impossibility. I'm only reporting what I experienced and what he told me he experienced.

And, as I said, no doubt 60fps is better. I clearly see the difference, and enjoy 60fps more, for sure. 60fps is great, but I found some of your claims hyperbolic. Sorry if it sounded like I'm insinuating anything, but you knew your post title would garner this type of response.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
After playing around 144 fps for the last 3 years i don't think I could do it. I would assume something is wrong with the device or game.

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone that doesn't see the clear difference between gaming at 30, 60, 144+ may have something wrong with their vision or something. I don't mind 30 fps in some games, but I still certainly notice the difference.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Anyone that doesn't see the clear difference between gaming at 30, 60, 144+ may have something wrong with their vision or something. I don't mind 30 fps in some games, but I still certainly notice the difference.

It's not about not seeing the difference. The difference is obvious and clear. It's about claims that 30fps games are bad, blurry, cause nausea and latency difference is noticeable even to little children that is causing this type of reaction. Of course there is a difference and play what you like, how you like it.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I switch between 60 and 30hz all the time. It only takes a few seconds for me to adjust, so I'm fine. As long as the framerate is stable and matches with the display, I'm usually good.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm already not looking forward to getting a nice smooth 100+ FPS in Yakuza 0/Kiwami at 1440p to struggling for a steady 60 in Kiwami 2...

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that bad as long as the frames are consistent. It is jarring going to it right after 60+ though.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Over the years I've played with framerates ranging from smooth 60 to choppy 15 and TBH I find if the game is fun enough it doesn't matter.
Obviously more is better, but after a couple of minutes my brain adjusts and its not an issue anymore

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
Arent FPS/sports/Racing games the top-selling skus on consoles? Maybe not so much sports this gen?
Do those games 'not count' to you?
Sure but FPS, racing, sports games have been running at 60fps since last gen. it's nothing new, as it's one of the core focuses of the games. also that's only 4 games, unless you count the yearly updates.

but what about:
GTA 5
RDR 2
Spider-man
God of War
Breath of the Wild
Uncharterd 4
Destiny 2
Assassin's creed
FarCry 5
Horizon: ZD
ghost recon wildlanss
rainbow six siege
For Honor
MH:W

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
30fps is worse in some games than others, but yea, not really preferred

theres no single element that can improve a game's visuals more than bumping it to 60fps, just makes the game look so much better in motion

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The Lego games have always been fairly poorly optimized. Tried to play Marvel Super Heroes years back with a friend and had to have been down to the 20s and below at times.

OP
OP
ArnoldJRimmer

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
The Lego games have always been fairly poorly optimized. Tried to play Marvel Super Heroes years back with a friend and had to have been down to the 20s and below at times.
This could also be a factor. Its a console so i cant throw up an fps counter but it might be dipping below 30 and making the whole thing feel even worse.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Most of this stuff on PS4 is 30 FPS and some stuff on Switch too so I've gotten more used to swapping back and forth from 144hz to that. First time I saw 144hz , I thought it was too damn smooth. It was like playing in water and it was beautiful. Neir at a high frame rate is so awesome to see and Monster Hunter World animations are beautiful as well. 60 fps is actually kinda choppy too now when I see it. When in game cutscenes are capped sometimes, it makes me think my PC is messed up for a sec lol. I play most things on PC though.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
It's not too bad if it's completely locked.

But oh man, going back and forth is FUCKED.

Look at Warriors Orochi 3 on the Pro. It's 60FPS but if it drops ANY frames under that it immediately goes to 30. It's just an insane design decision and incredibly jarring.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Frame pacing on PC is notoriously more finicky to achieve than consoles.
While I imagine this is probably true on some titles is this really a "thing?" Like locking my fps to 30 in Witcher 3 with RTSS and monitoring my frametime it gives me pretty much a rock solid line. There is no way in hell that any console hits as consistant frametime.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
All you guys that get headaches playing games that run at less than 60fps are so luck you didn't game in the 80s and 90s or have to game on a budget. Bless you all though must be awful for you.
The majority of games actually ran at 60fps during the NES/SNES era.

Last edited:

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
It's really hard to go back. Not proud to admit I've become a FPS snob, but it is what it is.

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I played Assassin Creed Odyssey at 4K/30fps locked and I enjoyed it massively. As long as its consistent and frame pacing isnt a issue 30fps is just fine.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
For me, variable 40-50 fps is alot worse than 30. At least when you play a difficult game like Soulsborne where timing is important.
I can say that base PS4 delivers quite good 30 fps compared to how choppy 30 fps feels on PC.

It's gonna be a looong interesting wait in-before Sony tells us in what fps (Base/Pro/PS5 Turbo) they're going to deliver PS4 BC in.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
For me, variable 40-50 fps is alot worse than 30. At least when you play a difficult game like Soulsborne where timing is important.
I can say that base PS4 delivers quite good 30 fps compared to how choppy 30 fps feels on PC.

It's gonna be a looong interesting wait in-before Sony tells us in what fps (Base/Pro/PS5 Turbo) they're going to deliver PS4 BC in.
Yeah framerate instability and especially frame pacing issues is the worst, Bloodborne looks broken on my PS4, constant judder. I hope that gets fixed on PS5. If not then VRR should fix most of that by default in next gen I think, Gsync does that on PC at least.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
There's nothing wrong with a stable 30fps.

I say that as someone who will be dropping several thousand on a setup and monitor that does 200hz.

Is more better? Of course. But a great looking game with 30fps stable is fine.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
They were 50fps but is that what you were talking about here?
"All you guys that get headaches playing games that run at less than 60fps are so luck you didn't game in the 80s and 90s".
It was hardly stable though and many games suffered slow down. Which I imaging would be awful for those people.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Yeah PS4 Spider-Man, God Of War and Horizon are unplayable :p

Sure 60 is smoother and we'd all prefer it, but a 30 is fine (ideally stable, but I'm not throwing away a good game over some hiccups here and there), it is definitely not a deal breaker - especially if you're playing it from a safe viewing distance on a television (for me the further you are away the less you notice).

In an ideal world all games would aim for 60 (I'd prefer if every game aimed at 120 but most TVs I believe don't support higher frame-rates) but I understand a lot of games, especially on consoles where we can't control the settings used most of the time (I'm super happy there are now performance modes cropping up, even on Switch!).

I really hop Phil Spencer isn't yanking our collective chain when he said he wanted to level the playing field between performance and visual fidelity when it came to designing the nextbox and all release titles even big open world ones are 60fps.

Keep on persevering with 30 and your eyes will re-adjust.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
You're being overdramatic. 30FPS is undoubtedly inferior, and it's definitely jarring when coming from >60fps. But as long as the framerate and framepacing are solid, it's fine, and you'll acclimate quickly.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I feel you OP. I built a high end gaming PC only around 6 weeks ago after console only gaming for 20 years. I'm playing everything at a locked 60fps.

Then I went back to PS4 Pro last week to compare and 30fps felt awful. Like everything was half speed. It's crazy how quickly you become adjusted.

That said I was mostly content with 30fps for all that time. But then I was content with 240p many years ago too. Times change and to get used to improvements, it's difficult to go back.

I said it in another thread recently: 60fps feels immersive, like you are there. 30fps creates a sense of detachment, more like you are watching a film. For gaming, I want it to be the former. Not to mention combat, aiming and shooting, driving, platforming etc all feels so much more exhilarating and satisfying at 60fps.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
You are right, but people don't want to admit that the thing they are forced to use is subpar. I still remember when Naughty Dog called 30fps unplayable and broken while releasing TLOU remaster at 60fps and everyone was totally on board then, but when they had to revert to 30fps for Uncharted 4 it was suddenly back to business as usual.

You can get used to anything and 30fps certainly isn't exempt from that, but it is hard to go back to when used to 60 and higher.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
It was hardly stable though and many games suffered slow down. Which I imaging would be awful for those people.
The slowdown was annoying, and could be much lower than 25/30fps, but it usually happened when there were tons of enemies or bullets on screen so it was almost like a weird slowmo effect programmed in to help you out of a tricky situation. I'm not sure if any frames were actually lost, I think the whole game just slowed down until the program could catch up.

Anyway, that era's visual issues can't be compared to what we have today when the whole games are running at slower framerates with desperate use of motion blur to smear out the stutter etc. Hopefully VRR can help us out of all that next gen, then uncapped 40-50fps shouldn't be an issue anymore as long as you have a new hdmi 2.1 TV.

I think Stadia will push console devs to try harder as well, the hardware on the datacenter side will handle everything like on PC and will be stackable if needed, and the stream will prioritize framerate over resolution. 30fps with pretty graphics won't be as impressive on a relatively expensive stand alone box if you can get equal or better graphics with twice the framerate through a chromecast or webbrowser.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
It really is weird to me hearing about nausea from running below 60fps. It's weirder calling people trolls if they can't relate to something that legitimately reads like hyperbole. I've been PC gaming for sometime (years) at 60 or above and I can still go back and forth between consoles and PC (it's really not that hard, lol).

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
Majority of next gen games are gonna be 4K, all they have to do is give us an option to play them at 1080 or 1440p/60fps. Hell, even dynamic resolution would work.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Kudos for calling out a troll who doesn't even do his homework.
I was there and a steady 60fps in the 80's and 90's was not common in the UK. Slow down and poor PAL conversions were what we got. Those that get headaches would have needed a constant supply of nurofen.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
I play 60 on the PC for the most part and 30 on PS4, going between the two immediately after is noticeable, 60 is just so much better, however for me as long as it's a solid 30fps then it's fine, isn't an issue at all and it's only really aggravating after coming straight off playing on the PC at 60.

And just thinking about some of the best games I've played this gen such as GOW, BB, MHWorld PS4, HZD, all action games which I consider the best this gen along with DMC & Sekrio when it comes to combat, they all ran at 30 and wasn't any problem at all, except for BB at times since that had framepacing issues. One other thing as well is games like GOW, Horizon and Spider-Man on the PS4 all feel like they run so much better and smoother than locking a game to 30 on PC, that's one thing I hate whenever I try to lock 30 on PC, never feels as good as the consoles lock and can never get perfect framepacing for some reason.

But yeah, overall it's not really a big deal, like I said, majority of the best games I've played have been a solid 30fps and the lower fps was never a thought when playing those games.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Not all 30fps is created equal.

HZD and GoW have pretty solid 30fps and fairly responsive, and I stuck with the slim, not a pro.

However, games with erratic framerate or crappy input lag (hello, Shadow of Mordor, AC Unity/Odyssey/etc), they really do feel like garbage in comparison.

Anything I can possibly play on the UW Gysnc, is definitely played there though. 100-120+ VRR is .. good.