• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
We are never going to get over 30 vs 60 fps debate.
Honestly some people are very aware of it and some don't even notice difference between 30 vs 60 (or so they say).

But there is no denying that 30fps shouldn't be allowed to exist in 2019 and in next gen consoles.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I play 60 on the PC for the most part and 30 on PS4, going between the two immediately after is noticeable, 60 is just so much better, however for me as long as it's a solid 30fps then it's fine, isn't an issue at all and it's only really aggravating after coming straight off playing on the PC at 60.

And just thinking about some of the best games I've played this gen such as GOW, BB, MHWorld PS4, HZD, all action games which I consider the best this gen along with DMC & Sekrio when it comes to combat, they all ran at 30 and wasn't any problem at all, except for BB at times since that had framepacing issues. One other thing as well is games like GOW, Horizon and Spider-Man on the PS4 all feel like they run so much better and smoother than locking a game to 30 on PC, that's one thing I hate whenever I try to lock 30 on PC, never feels as good as the consoles lock and can never get perfect framepacing for some reason.

But yeah, overall it's not really a big deal, like I said, majority of the best games I've played have been a solid 30fps and the lower fps was never a thought when playing those games.
Man, I returned the PS4 version of Sekiro after two days. The framerate made the game completely unenjoyable to me. I couldn't focus on anything other than the consistent stuttering.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Never had an issue with 30fps, as long as its stable. I adjust to it in seconds, minutes if immediately switching from a 60fps title, then forget I'm even playing 30fps. I've always preferred having better visual fidelity or game design ambition in most genres of console game over having 60fps, especially with decent 30fps input latency (there's huge variance in input latency among 30fps titles).

Man, I returned the PS4 version of Sekiro after two days. The framerate made the game completely unenjoyable to me. I couldn't focus on anything other than the consistent stuttering.

That's less to do with the locked 30fps frame rate (on PS4/XO) and more to do with poor frame pacing, which FROM games are notorious for. That and an uncapped frame rate on the Pro and One X.

Last edited:

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Had a similar issue when going from PC games to playing Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4.

Everything feels slightly off. Especially the controls, which feel just that little bit less responsive. Combine that with console aiming controls being shit in general and it was pretty damn tortuous for a while, laboriously dragging the sluggish crosshair around the screen.

I acclimatize eventually, but 30 FPS is so garbage.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
People who defend 30fps never experienced 60fps

It's like going back to 720p after 4K, sure it's playable but the difference is massive.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just come here to read some 30fps apologist.

Standard need to move to be honest, stop pretending limited design (by hardware spec, technical or whatever) is a artists choice (save for some)

30fps is the thing to endure and deal with not to embrace and defend.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's why I said except BB, bad framepacing can be a real killer, a locked 30 isn't an issue but 30 with bad framepacing means it's pretty much running less than 30 when it occurs. When I'm capturing Bloodborne footage for instance and it's an area where there's a lot of those issues the capture will show as something like 27-29 fps on average, Horizon Zero Dawn on the other hand is never below 30.

LordFish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
::sigh:: Latency could be worsened by artificially by the game engine, no doubt. But the fact that the FASTEST an input change can happen on screen is doubled when going from 30 to 60 FPS is significant. There could be several frames that go by before everything needed is set up by the engine to actually start drawing the new action, and those frames will take longer at 30 than at 60 FPS.

Heck, competitive gamers swear by higher frame rates, even above and beyond the refresh rate fo the monitor simply because it reduces input latency.
Yeah it's like min settings to get 200 plus frames in cod or quake never happened, "industry experience"

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It's like going back to 720p after 4K, sure it's playable but the difference is massive.

I know inept or inaccurate posts are sort of synonymous with you, but you know this is absolute nonsense right?

The reality is that 30fps simply isn't an issue for many or most people, which is why we still have 30fps games today. I'd imagine nearly all enthusiast and even countless casual gamers will have experienced both 30fps and 60fps, just by virtue of popular online shooters, beat em ups, platformers etc being 60fps like COD, BF, Smash Bros, Super Mario etc, and then popular cinematic or open world titles like GTA, Zelda, Destiny, Spider-Man, Uncharted etc being 30fps.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
I'd rather have a 30fps that's stable than a 60fps done poorly.

it depends on the games though. I can't imagine Splatoon 2 in 30 but really? lego games are slow paced and really don't need 60 to be good.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
One thing that annoys me is people that want a sort of 60fps mandate for next gen, like that sort of thing isn't crippling for a designers vision and doesn't just set a low ceiling on the kinds of things possible with a game. Some games are hurt bad by 30fps but others are not

Mutant

May 25, 2019
60 fps is obviously preferable, but as others have said, a solid 30 fps is fine for me. I guess different people have different tolerances though.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
60fps for more games would be great, but the reality is that the most people don't really mind 30fps. As long as it's stable, it works for most genres of games and the majority don't really notice anything is amiss.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
30 fps is half the temporal resolution of 60 fps and the games do suffer for it. I do a lot of gaming at both frame rates and it's easy to get used to 30 fps, but it's hard to ignore the choppiness anytime the camera pans. It's even worse panning when they add motion blur to compensate since the entire screen basically blurs into a huge smudge.

Having said that I'm over 30 or 60 fps. I'm all about that arbitrary frame rate on PC. 2D games like Hollow Knight, Axiom Verge and Rogue Legacy are amazing in motion and play amazingly at 240 fps on my PG258Q.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You think 30's bad? I've been doing a lot of Ocarina of Time N64 runs recently, with different versions of the game. Try the original PAL version of the game, 17 fps at 240p, with drops. Enjoy.

Real talk though, I'm okay with 30 for the most part, but 60 is preferable. Sometimes going back from 60 to 30 just feels so weird, like everything feels slow and clunky but I get use to it after a few minutes.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Been playing LEGO games with my 5 year old since he was 4, and we've been having a ton of fun with them. The most perfect thing is that there has been a game for both of his main interests at this age: dinosaurs and pirates. Well, he took a liking to ghostbusters as a lot of 5 year olds do and I wanted to play a LEGO ghostbusters game with him. Sadly the only version of ghostbusters LEGO was held hostage inside that damned and now defunct toys to life game LEGO dimensions.

After trolling eBay and biting the bullet on amazon I managed to get everything I needed to play all the ghostbusters content in that game. My son was psyched!

Now so far we've been playing LEGO games on my pc with my ultra wide monitor, so split screen was great giving us a lot of horizontal space, and of course all the games ran at 60 FPS give or take some frame rate drops on some levels,

So after the interminable fucking install process, (holy cow Microsoft I could have downloaded this entire game twice over on steam in the time it took to download a damn patch, get your shit together), we get into the game and man. We just Looked at each other. Something was so off about the game. How it controlled and how it felt and how it looked. One of tHe characters also featured this weird animation style where some frames are skipped, and holy cow was this head ache inducing. It took me a few minutes to realize what the problem was.

30 FPS was the problem. Even my kid noticed and asked why is everything slow dad? And why is my screen so small, can't we play it on the puter?

I really hope consoles can hit 60 FPS next gen, and not just occasionally, not just often, but rather the majority of the time. I want to be able to get at some of those mainstream games that might not make it to pc, like LEGO dimensions, but have a good gaming experience with them. The upcoming Xbox will do that right?

Hmm, Last of Us, Uncharted, god of war, etc are some of the highest rated games of the gen and 30 fPS...

Oct 31, 2017
If it's stable it's not bad. If you're directly comparing it to 60 it's painful. Case in point: played BotW for 2 years at 30 fps, went to PC and started playing it 4K 60fps and it's so hard to go back to my Switch copy.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
It only really kills me on FPS games. I can get used to bad Framerates on most other games after a little while. But I can't even play a FPS with a low framerate anymore

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I go back and forth between 60 and 30 all the time and it bothers me none.

Same here. And even if it does, after 15 minutes I'm used to it. Lego games, by the way, are pretty static for a large portion of the gameplay (no free cam, unless in free roam mode), so I'm tasting some hyperbole. My kid enjoys the hack out of them on my peasant PS4 Pro. ;-)

I feel sorry for people who are bothered so much by this. Can't imagine the amount of games I had to miss or being unable to fully enjoy, when bothered by 30fps.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Millions of players played of Destiny 1&2 on consoles. Nothing wrong with 30 FPS at all even in a shooter game as long there are no servere frame pacing issues.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
People who complain about 30fps are such drama queens.
Is it noticeable? Yes.
Does it impact my enjoyment in any way? Not really, no.

And after like 10 minutes you stop noticing anyway.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, Last of Us, Uncharted, god of war, etc are some of the highest rated games of the gen and 30 fPS...

The overwhelming majority of the highest rated games this gen are 30fps ironically enough. Obviously PC versions of some of these games can have higher frame rates.

Red Dead Redemption 2 (30fps) - 97
Grand Theft Auto V (30fps) - 97
Zelda Breath of the Wild (30fps) - 97
Super Mario Odyssey (60fps) - 97
The Last of Us R (30fps/60fps) - 95
God of War (30fps) - 94
Metal Gear Solid V (60fps) - 93
Persona V (30fps) - 93
Uncharted 4 (30fps) - 93
Super Smash Bros U (60fps) - 93
Forza Horizon 4 (30fps/60fps) - 92
Bloodborne (30fps) - 92
Celeste (60fps) - 92
Undertale (30fps) - 92
The Witcher 3 (30fps) - 92
Divinity Original Sin II (30fps) - 92
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (60fps) - 92
Shadow of the Colossus (30fps) - 91
Forza Horizon 3 (30fps) - 91
Resident Evil 2 (30fps) - 91

Point is, the whole 30fps vs 60fps thing has never really impacted games critically, in terms of reception or sales.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Millions of players played of Destiny 1&2 on consoles. Nothing wrong with 30 FPS at all even in a shooter game as long there are no servere frame pacing issues.
They had to because they had no other choice of how to play those games only option they got if they want to play those games is at 30fps or nothing as they don't have a PC to play Destinies at 60fps

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah its super rough to me anymore. I remember renting monster hunter world for my base ps4 and noping the fuck out of that REAL fast for the pc version. Need that smooth framerate

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not defending the OP but the first and the latter you mentioned are able to be played in 60.

God of War on a PS4 Pro does not run at 60fps in Performance mode, it's more like an unlocked variable frame rate mode (akin to the older titles). It averages in the mid to upper 40's and only hits 60fps in the quieter moments.

Last edited:

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I've been trying to play Saints Row on the 360 and with v-sync on I'm sure it's sub-30 fps. But horrible tearing with it off.

Makes it hard to play.

Sep 12, 2018
Frame pacing is key, it's why I really wish they'd fix the From games on console because if Bloodborne ran better it'd probably be my favorite game of all time.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I notice it but then shrug it off. Not that jarring to me. I switch between 90-144hz and sub-30fps on Fortnite all the time with PC and Switch. While I'd love everything to be 90+ as it's really really good, it's not a necessity.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Some quick googling seems to imply Lego Dimensions is SUB 30fps. I don't have hard Digital foundry numbers but a number of comparisons show better performance when using the PS4 pro boost mode (which couldn't happen if it was a locked 30fps) and many stages running like slideshows on various platforms.

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
My vision isn't the best, but I couldn't tell you which of my games on Xbox One are running at 60 and which are at 30.

OP
OP
ArnoldJRimmer

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Some quick googling seems to imply Lego Dimensions is SUB 30fps. I don't have hard Digital foundry numbers but a number of comparisons show better performance when using the PS4 pro boost mode (which couldn't happen if it was a locked 30fps) and many stages running like slideshows on various platforms.

Well that explains a lot. Like my nausea.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
30fps is the hardware struggling to produce the graphical settings.

The loss of clarity in motion below 60fps is one og the biggest hits to visual fidelity you can make.

60fps+ just plays so much better for ALL games.

I can understand if a designer wants to focus on certain graphical enhancements for the art they bring, but the loss of clarity in motion almost always makes those redundant to me as games require control.

The overwhelming majority of the highest rated games this gen are 30fps ironically enough. Obviously PC versions of some of these games can have higher frame rates.

Red Dead Redemption 2 (30fps) - 97
Grand Theft Auto V (30fps) - 97
Zelda Breath of the Wild (30fps) - 97
Super Mario Odyssey (60fps) - 97
The Last of Us R (30fps/60fps) - 95
God of War (30fps) - 94
Metal Gear Solid V (60fps) - 93
Persona V (30fps) - 93
Uncharted 4 (30fps) - 93
Super Smash Bros U (60fps) - 93
Forza Horizon 4 (30fps/60fps) - 92
Bloodborne (30fps) - 92
Celeste (60fps) - 92
Undertale (30fps) - 92
The Witcher 3 (30fps) - 92
Divinity Original Sin II (30fps) - 92
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (60fps) - 92
Shadow of the Colossus (30fps) - 91
Forza Horizon 3 (30fps) - 91
Resident Evil 2 (30fps) - 91

Point is, the whole 30fps vs 60fps thing has never really impacted games critically, in terms of reception or sales.
People often can't afford a gaming PC or the title is exclusive and have no choice. This doesn't indicate what you think it does.

The games sell well on 30fps platforms largely because so many don't have a choice or there literally is no choice.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017

C'mon, you really think there are people on a gaming forum that have never experienced 60fps?

Takes me like a couple of seconds to re-adjust when playing a 30fps game.

Deleted member 27315

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I am the only one that finds Motion interpolation a very good option? some 30 fps games feel like a solid 60fps game.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I see nothing wrong with 30FPS. Sucks that it gets in the way of some people's enjoyment.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Or maybe, JUST MAYBE, they've experienced the all flavors of performance issues and accept a lower framerate for a more stable and smooth experience.

Standard need to move to be honest, stop pretending limited design (by hardware spec, technical or whatever) is a artists choice (save for some)

Congrats, you've now met a 30fps apologist. Btw, been pc gaming since 04 and I STILL defend 30fps.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Fps are a design decision and will remain a design decision next gen.

I don't enjoy the feel of 30fps anymore and try to avoid it as much as possible, bought a high end PC for that. But some exclusives sadly stick to 30, it's increasingly harder to enjoy them for me.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017

I'm glad you aren't a game developer and don't get to make that decision. Developers make a call on what framerates to run their games at for a number of factors. If a developing for a fixed configuration like a console, developers make the choice that benefits the overall presentation and performance. PC gamers most of the time get to make that choice on their own.

It will always be a thing for the near future, as limited hardware resources has always been a thing since the dawn of console gaming. Framerates don't sell games or achieve high critical reviews.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
It's def unfortunate that consoles just lack the power but that's what happens when your box has to be 500 or less.

I absolutely agree though. Once you play destiny on pc for example, going back to console is just tough.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I've been playing games on consoles and computers since the C64 and I'm so happy I don't care about 30, 60 or 2312412342fps, or 4k, texture resolution, or hdr or raytracing. It's all fluff to me.
I care about the games themselves, the mechanics , the feel, how fun they are to play. Red Dead 2 runs the way it does on my base PS4 and I have absolutely no problem with that a all, that's just how the game runs. Just like slowdowns on some SNES games back in the day.

The fact that some people actually have a fps counter at screen at all times while playing a game to monitor the fps is just so incredibly mind boggling to me. If you can't tell if the fps is dropping without looking at a counter does it really matter what fps the game runs at?
I'm not saying I WANT a game to run at 30 instead of 60fps, but when I see people say things like "I'm not buying that it only runs at 30fps" I just shake my head.

Last edited:

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I can usually handle it just fine. Though sometimes it feels more noticeable and can be rather annoying. Still I've even chosen to play Witcher 3 in example on 30 fps, to have it be prettier. (I did my first playthrough 60 fps though, with notable dips around to 40~) I also "had" to play the second Witcher game with FPS that couldn't even hold 30, I used to raid in Wow with rather awful FPS too (not even steady 30). Has made me wonder later on how much improved my play would had been with proper FPS, how much more DPS could I have pushed. How many unnecessary deaths I could have avoided.