• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
ArnoldJRimmer

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Doesn't bother me at all really. Instability is more annoying as I can notice the frame drops.

I know 60 fps is objectively superior but for some games I quite like the "filmic" look. Please don't hurt me.

Actually I'm going to integrate that into the official smoothness rating:

< 30 FPS: filmic smooth.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't bother me at all really. Instability is more annoying as I can notice the frame drops.

I know 60 fps is objectively superior but for some games I quite like the "filmic" look. Please don't hurt me.

uh 30 FPS on video games is not fiimic. first off films are shot and made completely differently from video games so comparing FPS between the two mediums doesn't even work.

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could be one of the blessed ones that don't care/don't notice any difference between 30fps to 60fps I wish I could.

Duck Sauce

Oct 30, 2017
United States
I wish I could be one of the blessed ones that don't care/don't notice any difference between 30fps to 60fps I wish I could.

Yeah, there's a surgery for that.

n6FG8W.gif

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
I am infinitely grateful that my eyes are, apparently, not as capable as some of yours seem to be. The concept of the difference between 30/60 being anything more than a tiny disappointment that I'll quickly forget about, or something that I'd never notice in the first place, sounds terrible.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Nah, which brings me to another thing consoles should support: ULTRA WIDE!!!

I'm doubling down in this thread.

Ah, OK. I was thinking the TV might not be in the right display settings if you're complaining about laggy responses, since it sounds like you're describing an issue that isn't necessarily tied to framerate (~17 vs 33 ms isn't that much of a difference on its own)

OP
OP
ArnoldJRimmer

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Ah, OK. I was thinking the TV might not be in the right display settings if you're complaining about laggy responses, since it sounds like you're describing an issue that isn't necessarily tied to framerate (~17 vs 33 ms isn't that much of a difference on its own)

Actually that might be an issue. I don't think I have game mode set up on my TV and that be adding extra lag on top. I'll check, thanks!

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It's not that bad. It's obviously noticeable coming from 60fps but if you persevere (as I'm sure you will) then you'll adjust.

It isn't, what is the actual worst is unlocked framerate that hovers between 20-40 fps. The stutter makes that shit unplayable. I'll never forget how much of a garbage experience I had with prince of Persia 2008 on pc. V sync, double buffered, wide swings between 30-60. I only continued with the game when I found a way to lock it to 30fps.

Its not bad if the FPS is solid with consistent framepacing. And on PC i hear its much worse than on console for some reason.

I've found that using a mouse to control certain first person games at 30fps is kind of awkward. Some games handle this well while others.... Don't. The input lag is smoothed over by using a controller's less precise (not inaccurate but not 5000 dps) input in my experience.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
It is unplayable. Even if its 100% stable, everything feels so sluggish and its just not fun to play. Even RTS games like Total War are annoying AF when the framerste dips.

I have a beast of a PC and enjoy high fps and refresh rates. I still enjoy sub 30fps n64 games. People are so OTT on this forum sometimes.

I mean look at this. Come the fuck on.
But it is true that 60 fps starts looking real choppy after playing a game in the 70-90 range for example.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Actually that might be an issue. I don't think I have game mode set up on my TV and that be adding extra lag on top. I'll check, thanks!

Yeah I remember back in the day the Win95 port of Sonic CD let you toggle between 30 and 60 FPS, the former being suited to people playing on slower hardware i.e., a 486 or maybe worse. It's visually easy to tell the difference but the change in game's responsiveness was actually pretty minimal; the game mostly felt the same either way.

Last edited:

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Same here.

Been playing between PC and X1 over the last couple years and felt 60fps wasn't as important as people claim it is.

For the last 6 months or so I have not played X1 much at all cause i basically let my kids have it. And the few times I've gone back to play with my son the difference is jarring. Shit looks nasty, I don't even like playing games on X1 anymore.

OP
OP
ArnoldJRimmer

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Completely valid question. All the points you raise suggest there is lag with the controls, 60fps would not fix that. If it is the fact that the screen refresh rate is not fast enough for you then you would have an issue with watching TV too.

I don't think you know what you are talking about. Frame rate has a direct correlation with input latency.

I mean, you watch movies in the theater, right? Given that most of those run at 24 FPS, according to you, it should follow that playing games at 24 FPS should be just fine too.

Come on.

Last edited:

dose

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think you know what you are talking about. Frame rate has a direct correlation with input latency.

I mean, you watch movies in the theater, right? Given that most of those run at 24 FPS, according to you, it should follow that playing games at 24 FPS should be just fine too.

Come on.
As I've been in the industry over 20 years, I do know what I'm talking about. Nice try at twisting my words too btw.
The issues you raise are not related to the frame rate, the lag in the controls are because of the way it is has been coded (ie, badly). There are many many 30fps games that are responsive and control fine.

OP
OP
ArnoldJRimmer

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
As I've been in the industry over 20 years, I do know what I'm talking about. Nice try at twisting my words too btw.
The issues you raise are not related to the frame rate, the lag in the controls are because of the way it is has been coded (ie, badly). There are many many 30fps games that are responsive and control fine.

::sigh:: Latency could be worsened by artificially by the game engine, no doubt. But the fact that the FASTEST an input change can happen on screen is doubled when going from 30 to 60 FPS is significant. There could be several frames that go by before everything needed is set up by the engine to actually start drawing the new action, and those frames will take longer at 30 than at 60 FPS.

Heck, competitive gamers swear by higher frame rates, even above and beyond the refresh rate fo the monitor simply because it reduces input latency.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"Daaad, daaad, why is everything moving with less than 60 frames per second? What is happening daaadd"

In all seriousness, I find these kinds of threads completely ridiculous. There are countless games that stick to 30 and they play just fine.

I played 4 player Goldeneye when I was younger at 10 frames per second, if I could take this, you can take 30 frames just fine.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
30fps is proper shit when you've gotten used to 60fps for a long period of time.

OP
OP
ArnoldJRimmer

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
"Daaad, daaad, why is everything moving with less than 60 frames per second? What is happening daaadd"

In all seriousness, I find these kinds of threads completely ridiculous. There are countless games that stick to 30 and they play just fine.

I played 4 player Goldeneye when I was younger at 10 frames per second, if I could take this, you can take 30 frames just fine.

No, I don't have to. There's nothing wrong with knowing that 60 FPS is just a better experience hands down, and preferring it either.

This whole "You must be elitist" bullshit is exactly that: bullshit.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
User warned: platform wars rhetoric
It's not just the lack of fluidity though, it's the latency.

I'm sure your 5 year old could tell the difference in latency between a 30 and 60fps game. And you were nauseous from a 30fps game? God, the PC Master Race is really taking all those God of War GOTY awards hard.

Look, no doubt 60 fps >> 30 fps. No question. But you act as if 30 fps is some blight on humanity :)

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No, I don't have to. There's nothing wrong with knowing that 60 FPS is just a better experience hands down, and preferring it either.

This whole "You must be elitist" bullshit is exactly that: bullshit.

But it is elitist bullshit. 60 fps looks better than 30 yes. But games are perfectly playable and they look fine at 30 frames. When I see people writing things like "how can people cope with the garbage of 30fps" my eyes could not roll harder.

- edit - the same goes with "30 fps make me nauseous". I mean, LOL.

OP
OP
ArnoldJRimmer

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'm sure your 5 year old could tell the difference in latency between a 30 and 60fps game. And you were nauseous from a 30fps game? God, the PC Master Race is really taking all those God of War GOTY awards hard.

Look, no doubt 60 fps >> 30 fps. No question. But you act as if 30 fps is some blight on humanity :)

Oh look, another console warrior bringing up PC master race. What a surprise.

I was the one that knew the issue was latency, but yes, he did feel it too. He said it was harder to control than the other lego games we play. The controls are exactly the same, so I don't know what else it could have been. Don't fucking insinuate I'm lying. You don't fucking know me.

And I'm not alone. There's plenty of people here who agree with me. I doubt they are all "PC MASTER RACE SCARY!!!" either.

Also, again, to be clear the game itself didn't make me nauseous (and being nauseous from a 30 FPs game that moves the camera a lot is not some unheard of thing either, I know plenty of people who get sick from it as well), it was that one character with the stilted animations that made me feel nauseous.

OP
OP
ArnoldJRimmer

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
But it is elitist bullshit. 60 fps looks better than 30 yes. But games are perfectly playable and they look fine at 30 frames. When I see people writing things like "how can people cope with the garbage of 30fps" my eyes could not roll harder.

60 FPS looks better, plays better. This is not rocket science. It's hard for me to wrap my head around this sentiment. How could you not see why people would prefer it. Why MOST people might prefer it, after experiencing it.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
It's the sort of thing that I never have a problem with until all games started targeting 60fps. Now I cannot go back.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Oh look, another console warrior bringing up PC master race. What a surprise.

I was the one that knew the issue was latency, but yes, he did feel it too. He said it was harder to control than the other lego games we play. The controls are exactly the same, so I don't know what else it could have been. Don't fucking insinuate I'm lying. You don't fucking know me.

I'm not insinuating you're lying, I'm hypothesizing you're imagining the difference is bigger than it is because of a cognitive bias.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Coming from PC and i enjoy 60fps, enjoy it enough that a lot of games have to be 60fps for me but once i got a Nintendo switch i manage to adjust and accept 30fps but i only accept it when its in undock mode.

OP
OP
ArnoldJRimmer

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'm not insinuating you're lying, I'm hypothesizing you're imagining the difference is bigger than it is because of a cognitive bias.

That's not an impossibility. I'm only reporting what I experienced and what he told me he experienced.

The game felt slower to play, less responsive, a bit blurry, I'm guessing due to motion blur, and that damned character made me feel like puking.

Is that just because I'm so used to 60 FPS? Maybe.