• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I really dislike the whole 'write the seller a letter/include family pictures' trend that seems to be ongoing. Just ripe for abuse of fair housing rules.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't able to update our experience...

We listed our house two weeks ago, on a Thursday, we had one offer by Friday sight-unseen, but they wanted us to decide by Saturday before our open house. We said no, we were going to do the open house, got 4 offers after the open house. Wild market. I feel like we lucked out with the house we got our offer accepted on... We came in above asking by $5k, but I think there was some serendipity with when we put our offer in and how everything worked out.

You can't help but feel emotional with some of the people... One couple that bid was a young couple, they had bid unsuccessfully on a bunch of houses for months, and they were the ones who came in on Thursday. BUt the offer we accepted was $5k over asking, plus no closing costs, which ends up being a significant difference, and they were well qualified where that first couple was really up against the ceiling of what they could borrow and they were financing closing costs.

Both closings are scheduled for middle of August. Closing on our house sale, and then closing on our purchase immediately after... We have the movers scheduled that day as well. Pretty damn hectic, esp with a 1-year-old. But we're lucky, so far everything's worked out.
Congrats!

Sucks for that young couple, though. But if they were cutting it that close to pay for a house, they should probably be looking for something less expensive. Borrowing at max for a house is so risky.

I really dislike the whole 'write the seller a letter/include family pictures' trend that seems to be ongoing. Just ripe for abuse of fair housing rules.
That's a thing? Ew.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
How does selling your house while looking for a new one work? Should both processes start at the same time? We are not sure how to make a contingent offer.

We've been in this process, and here's how it's worked for us:

My wife and I weren't actively looking... But we'd been kinda casually scoping out the market. A house gets listed that we really like and we jumped on it, went to check it out, then got in contact with an agent that day. We went back a few days later and put in an offer on that house that our agent wrote up for us.

We came in $5k above asking, with closing dates that worked for the sellers, but the purchase was contingent on the sale of our current house (We need the equity for a down payment, we couldn't buy it otherwise). In this market, the owner decided it was fine and that the contingency wouldn't be a problem. There was 1 other offer on the house when we put in our's, but they chose ours which is fortunate for us. We made a $1k deposit with our offer, as well as a $5k deposit when we signed the Purchase & Sale a week later. We also had the inspection in between that time too.

Then everything kicks off with our current house... We listed our house the following week and the process started for us. We made it clear to any prospective buyers that Mid-August was our ideal closing date and 4/5 of the offers we got agreed to the same closing date (August 16). One of them didn't, but w/e, we didn't go with them anyway but we could have tried to negotiate it.

Likewise, we got a $1k deposit with our accepted offer on our house; and then the P&S for our house is today, inspection was about a week ago or so. We have the appraisal scheduled for next Tuesday.

I was very, very stressed about selling and buying at the same time, especially because we have a 1-year-old and a dog which makes moving into some place temporarily really hard for us. But, honestly, it's worked out fine. Our agent has been amazing, she ws both our buying and selling agent, and she's a bull dog.

Agreed. Our agent suggested we do it for the house we're buying, so we did... I think in our case it helps us, we have a beautiful cute baby. We didn't accept it for offers on our house, I didn't want to make an emotional decision.

I think in some cases I get it and I wouldn't be against it ... Like, if I'm in a city that's being gobbled up by foreign investors, I'd rather sell my house to a young family than someone who is going to turn my house into a Zillow rental property from China. But, it's also rife for abuse too.

Congrats!

Sucks for that young couple, though. But if they were cutting it that close to pay for a house, they should probably be looking for something less expensive. Borrowing at max for a house is so risky.

Yeah, exactly.

There's a lot of other properties where we live that are $10k, $20k cheaper than our's, and maybe they require a little more work than our's or there's some compromises, but still.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

I buy and sell a lot and had no idea this was a thing.

In my area it seems to be (and a lot of other places too).

Found a lot of places online who also 'recommended' it when I was first doing my research.

dLbFR10.jpg

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Arrakis

Oct 30, 2017
ontario,canada
What is better?

Getting 500k mortgage to fix my parents' house for close to 400k..

Or find a newer less broken 4 bedroom house for 675k in Toronto (TTC-public transit accessible)? Is that even.. POSSIBLE? lol

Would you then own the house ? If it's in toronto I'd fix up your parents home and own that , a 4 bedroom home is probably worth a million right now . I'm an hour away and it's 600K-700K for a four bedroom

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I feel like this was recommended to us by the agent (who was repping both us and the seller) because the sellers were literally about to yank their house off the market and stay just before we made an offer. I wasn't having it but I can safely say after meeting them at the closing (and my wife's expert FaceBook stalking skills) if we were black they never would have sold us this place.

The wife wrote us this long-ass letter and left it in the house when we took ownership about how they raised all their children there and how bittersweet it was to move on, instructions on a bunch of stuff around the place, blablabla.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, exactly.
This is nuts- they're not applying to a university. All I care about is that offer is solid and the closing will happen as planned.

I'll admit as someone who just sold my house to a couple kinda like my wife and I but 10 years younger... If I had two offers, one of them from some Chinese LLC, or a Development Corp and one of them from a young family, I'd go with the family... Even if the foreign LLC had a slightly better offer, or met our needs better. I also like my neighbors and would know they'd be pissed if I sold the house to a company that was going to turn it into an Airbnb rental.

I'm emotional like that though. And as our city gets more and more developed, I like to see actual owners living someplace.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, exactly.

I'll admit as someone who just sold my house to a couple kinda like my wife and I but 10 years younger... If I had two offers, one of them from some Chinese LLC, or a Development Corp and one of them from a young family, I'd go with the family... Even if the foreign LLC had a slightly better offer, or met our needs better. I also like my neighbors and would know they'd be pissed if I sold the house to a company that was going to turn it into an Airbnb rental.

I'm emotional like that though. And as our city gets more and more developed, I like to see actual owners living someplace.

Well yes, I agree to an extent. I always prefer to sell someone that actually "needs" the property over a foreign LLC (never had offers from foreign LLCs). With that said, if the foreign LLC had a 98% of closing and the "family" only a 50%, I would go with the LLC. I prioritize my family's interests over another.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, exactly.

Exactly. For me as a seller, it is reassuring to see the buyer is a human being with a actual reason for wanting the house. People do bail on offers or get really picky during inspection. Someone who works 3 miles away and has a newborn is less likely to bail.

I do think it opens up the door for discrimination and that could be very problematic.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, exactly.

My neighbor just sold his house and I was very glad to hear that he said the buyer was actually looking to move into the house.

I was dreading that my neighbor's house would turn into an improvised apartment or Airbnb thing.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Well yes, I agree to an extent. I always prefer to sell someone that actually "needs" the property over a foreign LLC (never had offers from foreign LLCs). With that said, if the foreign LLC had a 98% of closing and the "family" only a 50%, I would go with the LLC. I prioritize my family's interests over another.
When we sold our house we had 6 offers, the lowest offer (like 10 grand below asking) had a letter stating how they knew they were low but loved the house, grew up on the street blah blah. We ended up going with an all cash offer, no contingencies 20 grand over asking. Wasn't a hard decision at all (although the couple that bought it were a very nice young couple). But even it was an LLC buying it a $30,000 swing would be hard to swallow

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When we sold our house we had 6 offers, the lowest offer (like 10 grand below asking) had a letter stating how they knew they were low but loved the house, grew up on the street blah blah. We ended up going with an all cash offer, no contingencies 20 grand over asking. Wasn't a hard decision at all (although the couple that bought it were a very nice young couple). But even it was an LLC buying it a $30,000 swing would be hard to swallow

It's unlikely to ever do that. But if they are equal on paper or close it can be a difference maker.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Would you then own the house ? If it's in toronto I'd fix up your parents home and own that , a 4 bedroom home is probably worth a million right now . I'm an hour away and it's 600K-700K for a four bedroom
Yeah, it's actually a 4+1. Potentially a 4+2? With a yard that is big by Toronto standards.
I think it's around an up-and-coming but still affordable area, but the houses around there are selling for 700-800k right now too. I'm moving ahead with getting ownership of it since there are little alternatives within Toronto haha. I don't drive, so I NEED a decent public transit network.

how can you all afford houses 500k-600-k worth makes me wonder what im doing wrong...

For us, double-income couple making 45k each and saving for over a decade lol. It'd be tough to do without double income or if single, a good tech or business/finance degree job.

I figure each 100k in borrowing is about $500/month mortgage. And hopefully that amount is not more than 50% of your take-home pay to be affordable for you (although I think the RECCOMMENDED is it only being 30%). That's kind of what you have to consider besides the massive downpayment amount.

Last edited:

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
I just bought a second house and now need to figure out how to rent the old house. I should have probably planned this a little better. LOL

yankeeh8er

Oct 26, 2017
Dracula Georgia
We are signing the papers tonight to finalize the sale of our house tonight. It has taken 3 months, and twice people agreed to buy our house only to back out at the last minute. I am so excited to put this nightmare behind me today.

Arrakis

Oct 30, 2017
ontario,canada
We are signing the papers tonight to finalize the sale of our house tonight. It has taken 3 months, and twice people agreed to buy our house only to back out at the last minute. I am so excited to put this nightmare behind me today.
Congrats on the sale , I'm going to be where you are next year and I'm dreading a dragged out process , hopefully everything gets wrapped up before the recession

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Yeah, I don't think its fair, but we did one and the homeowner I think took our bid because of it. They were really compelled by the fact that we wanted to place our roots here and start a family. I think he liked that my wife was a teacher (he was a college professor)

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
This is nuts- they're not applying to a university. All I care about is that offer is solid and the closing will happen as planned.

For many, especially those that have some memories in their homes, parting/leaving a home can be a difficult decision. So they want to sell the home to a couple that want to make similiar memories, instead of a investment firm that plans to rent it out. Now sure, if the investment firm's offer is x5 more than the family, that is a no brainer. But if things are fairly equal? The Family wins (And they would win in my book, if we ever need to leave).

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Appraisals for the house we're buying and the house we're selling all came in. So far so good. August 16 closing date on both which will be a fucking crazy day signing over everything and moving the same day, but ... w/e. We're getting there.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Appraisals for the house we're buying and the house we're selling all came in. So far so good. August 16 closing date on both which will be a fucking crazy day signing over everything and moving the same day, but ... w/e. We're getting there.
Do people usually do appraisals for houses they are buying?

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
Try buying a home in SF/Oakland. Within hours any decent property will have multiple bidders and the offers will already be ridiculously above the already ridiculous asking price.

I've just accepted the fact that I will be a renter for life.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
how can you all afford houses 500k-600-k worth makes me wonder what im doing wrong...

Frankly, for us it's because we bought a $200,000 house in 2012 that went up over 60% when we sold it this year and ... my wife is in a medical profession that makes an average of $180,000 in this state.

You're not doing anything wrong. I couldn't swing it without my wife and some luck either.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Try buying a home in SF/Oakland. Within hours any decent property will have multiple bidders and the offers will already be ridiculously above the already ridiculous asking price.

I've just accepted the fact that I will be a renter for life.
I wonder how things are when you buy from a newly constructed condo vs buying from a current owner.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Do people usually do appraisals for houses they are buying?

At least where I live the the bank requires it to write the loan. So the bank (well, our mortgage broker) gets an independent appraisal to make sure that the loan to value ratio is close. In this case, the house appraised for $5k over what our accepted offer price is, which is within the range. We're putting 20% down so it's not that big of a deal, we could have some wiggle room. For the house we're selling it's more important for the value & loan to be close because the buyers only putting down 3.5%... I figure it's an FHA loan for them, which probably has stricter requirements.

This was something that became more common after the housing crash of ~2008/2009 because a lot of banks got sunk when they wrote loans for properties that weren't remotely near what they were worth... so when people defaulted on their loans, there was negative equity, and it's what contributed to the mortgage crash (among other things)

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
At least where I live the the bank requires it to write the loan. So the bank (well, our mortgage broker) gets an independent appraisal to make sure that the loan to value ratio is close. In this case, the house appraised for $5k over what our accepted offer price is, which is within the range. We're putting 20% down so it's not that big of a deal, we could have some wiggle room. For the house we're selling it's more important for the value & loan to be close because they're only putting down 3.5%.

This was something that became more common after the housing crash of ~2008/2009 because a lot of banks got sunk when they wrote loans for properties that weren't remotely near what they were worth... so when people defaulted on their loans, there was negative equity, and it's what contributed to the mortgage crash (among other things)
Its at no cost to the buyer right?

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And once you buy a house, you basically spend the rest of your existence worrying about your pipes leaking. Like those commericials say, you literally do turn into your parents.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Its at no cost to the buyer right?

I think so, or at least it's rolled into some brokerage fee, closing cost, stamp tax, or some other fee that gets slipped in somewhere. I didn't have to pay an appraiser out of pocket or anything. Also, it's not connected to your city's tax appraisal either, so your taxes don't go up with this either.

It's something that's done after the purchase & Sale agreement (in our case at least) to ensure that the loan we're applying for is less than the appraised value of the property. Back in the 2000s for a while banks would lend to anybody with barely a proof of income and they were so eager for new business they let anything slip through. And that's partly what collapsed the global economy from 2007-2011.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
It is not really free. It is part of the loan closing costs and is passed on to you.
Interesting...

so say i want to buy a house. I make a offer say 500k and its gets accepted, but the bank say its worth 480k and wont lend me the proper amount. Can i then back out of the sale and get my deposit back, or do i have to had made that contingent in my offer?

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting...

so say i want to buy a house. I make a offer say 500k and its gets accepted, but the bank say its worth 480k and wont lend me the proper amount. Can i then back out of the sale and get my deposit back, or do i have to had made that contingent in my offer?

That is usually a standard mortgage contingency - that the offer is contingent on loan approval. Sellers will usually then renegotiate a little.

In hot markets, people usually waive that contingency (or put in a clause offering up to a certain amount over appraisal). So you'll have to find that extra money from your pocket or lose the deposit.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Congrats. We're supposed to be signing papers today as well, but we're doing so remotely and our California notaries aren't willing to notarize the documents our Virginia title company drew up as they're not compliant with CA notary law. Just the latest complication in the clusterfuck selling our house has been.

Despite the house selling for 40K more than what we bought it for, after renovations and fees we're way in the red (arguably breaking even considering what we would have paid in rent, but then considering the opportunity cost of the down payment and what it could have done in the stock market...).

And yet, even without yet escaping from the nightmare of selling, I still find myself browsing listings on Zillow and thinking about buying again.

Lorcain

Oct 27, 2017
sf%20billboard.jpg

I laughed. I cried. And then cried some more every morning on my way to work.
That's awful. Dystopian future there. I recently moved from a high cost of living area (not as bad as SF) to one of the lowest cost of living areas in the country. The quality of home we were able to purchase was crazy compared to what I was living in. I have friends that struggle in NYC and SF that are dual income earners well over $100k. Fuck that.

Last edited:

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How exactly do you sell a home?

Like, I have a home worth around 160K that I still owe about 100K on.

I want to buy a home in the 250-300K range, but I feel like there is not way I can juggle them both at the same time, and I know I can't choose my sell date of the first home.

How do people do this normally? Pay 2 mortgages until the 1st one sells? What about using the money from the first to pay towards the 2nd?

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How exactly do you sell a home?

Like, I have a home worth around 160K that I still owe about 100K on.

I want to buy a home in the 250-300K range, but I feel like there is not way I can juggle them both at the same time, and I know I can't choose my sell date of the first home.

How do people do this normally? Pay 2 mortgages until the 1st one sells? What about using the money from the first to pay towards the 2nd?

Sell the first, put the money toward the second.

In practice, you can make your offer to buy contingent on your current house selling and schedule both closings for the same day.

Or you can move into a rental while between owned homes.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sell the first, put the money toward the second.

In practice, you can make your offer to buy contingent on your current house selling and schedule both closings for the same day.

Or you can move into a rental while between owned homes.

But don't most rentals require a year long lease?

Also, i have 3 pets, so that's a headache as well.

I'm interested in your first point though. I guess that is something I should talk about with a realtor.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the housing market is huge at the moment. Stuff goes in a couple days at most unless there are major issues or it is way overpriced, sometimes even that doesn't stop it.

I wouldn't recommend putting in an offer without seeing, you can still catch them if you go to see them, but you need to be able to make a decision soon after the viewing and hope that your real estate agent is quick enough to write up an offer and send it as well.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I think these letters are stupid and can lead to discrimination. But for some people there is an emotional connection to a house and who gets it after them, and these letters address that.