• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Couldn't have said it better myself. Honestly, I'm a "tough guy" and I couldn't believe that I cried while I saw her get put down. Holy smokes it's freaking difficult.

It is absolutely horrible to witness. You are a good person for being there with the dog in his/her final moments. I did the same for my cat a while back who also developed behavioral issues. I feel your pain. Sorry for your loss

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if you're a dog owner yourself. Or maybe you put a dog's life over a humans. It may sound a little harsh to my dog by me saying that, but you wanna talk about pitbulls being dangerous, then you certainly don't know about my dog. Her breed is a Boerboel. She was well on her way to becoming bigger than a lot of humans. Especially anyone you can call a child/children. After she got attacked, she never came back from it and developed behavioral issues. We are talking about a dog that can do a lot more damage than any pitbull. Anyway, I know for a fact I made the right decision.
You made the right decision. Don't let these assholes get to you when you should be grieving. You're absolutely correct.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if you're a dog owner yourself. Or maybe you put a dog's life over a humans. It may sound a little harsh to my dog by me saying that, but you wanna talk about pitbulls being dangerous, then you certainly don't know about my dog. Her breed is a Boerboel. She was well on her way to becoming bigger than a lot of humans. Especially anyone you can call a child/children. After she got attacked, she never came back from it and developed behavioral issues. We are talking about a dog that can do a lot more damage than any pitbull. Anyway, I know for a fact I made the right decision.
You don't need to apologize.
People always say "irresponsible owners!" at pitbull threads, and there's much truth to that. But this is what responsible dog ownership looks like, and it really fucking sucks, and the last thing the world need is someone who seem to know very very little about dog training lecturing the people who are able to do the right thing in these situations.

p.s.
I personally believe that a person who is unwilling to do what you did should not own a boerboel, full stop.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like you had to make a difficult decision OP, I am glad you know you made the right decision however hard. Anyone giving you a hard time should back off, im sure this was the last thing you wanted.

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
Our dog is incredibly easy to trigger. He'll even growl at me for getting too close when he's moody, and don't even think of going near a bowl of food. We got him at 2 years old from a shelter, skinny and injured. I can only imagine what happened to him before.

Luckily in our case, he is small and only weighs about 15lbs. We can accept that he may attack us, since you can just stand there. Worst case, someone in the family needed a bandage for the day. We've had large dogs before, and if they had the same tendencies as our little guy I'm not sure we could accept that.

I understand what losing a dog (truly family) feels like OP. I took a day off work and binged some light-hearted TV to keep the mood up when our last dog became fatally ill (got into Brooklyn Nine-Nine this way). Take it easy, remember the good times, and maybe begin to search for a new addition to the family when and if you're ready.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I'm sorry for your loss OP. I won't judge, but I do hope you explored other avenues first. Or if not, that with future pets you will look into them if behavioral issues arise.

Regardless, I know this must have been a very very hard decision, and I do not fault you, especially if the safety of children, yours or others was involved.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Sometimes aggression can't be solved. Fortunately in my case it was.

I have a wonderful black Labrador. She is an absolute mush but there was a time where she was so aggressive and would nip at my daughter and sometimes even myself. We didn't know what caused it but we did notice she was putting on a lot of weight.

We came close to letting her go. Not putting her down, but giving her to a no-kill shelter until we discovered she has a thyroid problem and it was causing the weight gain and that weight was causing her all kinds of pain. That pain was why she was aggressive.

Now she is still a big old fatty but she is once again the gigantic mush we always knew her to be.

Not every story ends the way mine did.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
This is uncalled for. Things happen in life and none of us were there it's an unfortunate incident but not deserving of this kind of vitriol.

No. Grown people who let their dogs roam off-leash are some of humanity's absolute worst because they know damn well every possible way that can ruin or end the life of their companion, other animals, or literally any person in the area and they still make that decision. In this case, one guy being a jackass allowed his dog to go after someone else's dog, then hit the stranger's dog himself (despite this dog being leashed!) traumatizing the dog and leading to a premature end to its life. And that's just one incident. They're fucking assholes who deserve the worst until they realize their absurd self-importance is costing lives.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
She was attacked by an unleashed dog (this was the second time this happened) during a walk a while back. It was bad for my dog, at the same time, the owner of the other dog was hitting my dog trying to protect his. Ever since then, she trusted no other person or animal. Essentially became aggressive and a liability. Especially to children.
Do you have children?

Oct 25, 2017
My condolences for your situation, OP. It's a hard decision to make and a sad one, but it sounds like you made the right call.

My 3 year old daughter was attacked by an unleashed aggressive dog while she was playing on a playground and she has never been the same. She has been absolutely terrified of dogs ever since and I make CONSTANT efforts to help her get over these fears and help her to be around dogs again.

Sometimes you just can't take chances with dogs becoming aggressive, especially around young children and with large breeds.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking hell. This is awful. I cannot even imagine being in this type of situation.
Hang in there OP.

OP
OP
Microsoft

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Do you have children?
Not myself but there are children in my household. Who she turned against I might add.

Thanks to everyone else who sent their condolences and shared their stories. I read every post in this thread, don't feel like I'm ignoring some of you. I already want to add another hairy member to my family. This time a much smaller breed like a miniature pinscher. I don't see myself living without a dog and I don't think I can dedicate as much time to a big dog now a days like I did with Nala (that was her name). I literally went 6 months unemployed and dedicated that time to her because I knew the type of dog I had. It may or may not hit me even harder later on.

The best compliment Nala got was when her socialization trainer said to her, "It's like you have the most beautiful eyeliner on". That was sweet of her and something I overheard her say.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
If you're looking for a small breed and one that is very fun I would suggest checking into mini schnauzer.

They are psycho dogs. Super energetic and great with kids. They are also great and handling rodents if you happen to have any in your home or yard.

The love you receive is dependent on the love you give, and they wants lots.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
God, what a terrible tragedy. That other fucking dog owner... I would be so livid.

You did the right thing even though it must have been heart-wrenching. I am against euthanizing pets unless it's an absolute last resort... and this was, due to no fault of your own. I'm so sorry, man. :(

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
I'm so sorry OP. Reading your posts I can see how agonising this was for you, but you did the right thing. Given the opportunity I'd quite enjoy beating the owner of the dog. What a piece of shit.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Wow that is heart breaking that such an unfortunate event lead to her developing social issues and even moreso that you had to make such a difficult decision to put her down. The lack of empathy some posters are showing in this thread is appalling, just assuming the worst.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My deep condolences OP. My dog is very vocal, he growls to talk, not because he's angry, but just because that's how he is. When we play, he growls, when he is happy, he growls. It's just part of him. I'm constantly afraid that some little kid is going to run up to him, try and pet him, hear him growling, and their parents are going to get scared and call animal control or something, so I keep him far away from kids. I'd be devastated if a court ordered him down or something.

At the same time, my dog has been attacked by a pair of pitbulls before in the park and is also very afraid of other dogs now. He gets very angry when dogs come up to him and defensive, which I understand because the attack on him was severe (he needed emergency medical attention).

I feel for you strongly right now. I hope you find comfort somehow.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
here's a picture of when she was a young one https://i.imgur.com/Xo1Kkze.jpg

I am so, so sorry for your loss, Nala was an absolutely beautiful girl. It's utterly infuriating that the negligence of another pet owner left such horrible trauma for Nala, and in turn, ultimately leaving you with a devastating decision to make. I am so, so sorry. A sibling of a friend of the family had to make a similar choice with their dog, and it was heartbreaking. My thoughts are with you.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks OP.

When you lose someone you care about it always sucks. But you will always have the memories and good times you shared together, which is still more than a lot of people can say.

Also it takes a special kind of asshole to shit on someone who just lost someone in their life. Think before you post or send emails.

Jul 18, 2018
Just cause a dog isn't aggressive doesn't mean it is a pit bull. In fact they aren't even the breed that has the most bites reported (that would be cocker spaniel). Only two dogs I knew of personally that were put down due to aggression(both cause I worked at a vet) was an English mastiff and a bloodhound. The mastiff developed fear aggression when she turned two (dogs can get behavior changes around that age). Owner tried everything to train the dog out of it but nothing helped. She ended up having to put it down because it's a large dog and she couldn't risk the dog freaking out and biting a child (it would do a lot of damage). The bloodhound was grabbed from behind and bit the person who did so. Because it was his second bite the owner was told either he had to get insurance or the dog had to be put down. He could not afford insurance and the bloodhound rescue we knew of literally skipped town (they owed us money and the people had moved to Canada and this is how we found out) so he had us put him down. He couldn't even take the body home cause animal control insisted we keep the dog so they could come verify it was the dog.
That's a good story, not harping on that.

But I said according to ERA I assumed it was a pitbull because every dog thread a pitbull gets brought up

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry for your loss OP, it's a shame she was harmed so heavily by that stranger. People can be incredibly unkind and affect pets in many ways.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. Grown people who let their dogs roam off-leash are some of humanity's absolute worst because they know damn well every possible way that can ruin or end the life of their companion, other animals, or literally any person in the area and they still make that decision. In this case, one guy being a jackass allowed his dog to go after someone else's dog, then hit the stranger's dog himself (despite this dog being leashed!) traumatizing the dog and leading to a premature end to its life. And that's just one incident. They're fucking assholes who deserve the worst until they realize their absurd self-importance is costing lives.

To add to my own story, the two pitbulls that attacked my dog were also unleashed. My dog was leashed, we were running in the park. As soon as we set foot in the park, two fully grown pitbulls sprinted full speed at my dog, got on both sides of him, and started gang style attacking him from both sides, as the dipshit owners just watched. Once i got them off my dog, they scooped up their dogs, and took off running.

I don't blame the pit bulls for attacking my dog, I blame their dumbass owners. Every single problem I've ever had with other dogs, its because they're unleashed. And people get indignant when you tell them to leash their gigantic dogs. My dog seriously can't take that shit, he starts shaking and lashes out at anything near him when another dog comes near now, and it takes me like a solid hour of petting him and holding him to calm him down.

People who don't leash their dogs are giant, enormous pricks.

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
Very sorry about this whole situation. She was a beautiful dog. You did the responsible thing, but I know that doesn't make it any less heartbreaking for you.

I am facing a similar situation with one of my cats who has bitten a bunch of my friends. I have a toddler now and nobody will take the cat because of its history with attacking. I've started putting the cat outside and it helped a lot with taking the edge off, but I still worry about him with my son all the time.

Shit really sucks. Sorry man.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
No, there are plenty of rescues that would have taken the dog and either rehabilitated it for a new home or fostered it forever. Places like Best Friends in Utah, who famously took all the Michael Vick dogs and rehabilitated them. It's understandable that OP was unable to be the one to rehabilitate the dog or live with its issues, but there are plenty of others who would have been happy to.

I have had a lot of contact with and donate extensively to Best Friends. They don't take aggressive dogs willy nilly from anyone in the country. The Michael Vick situation was a special (and high profile) case. You don't know what you're talking about. Shush.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
That fucking sucks, so some idiot had an unleashed dog and hit your dog? That's fucked up to the max. Very sorry for your loss.

CaptSpaulding

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
So sorry to hear this.

Dont mean to derail the thread but I am just curious the legality of putting down a pet due to bad behavior. I googled and seems like the vet has to approve it. It just seems like a lot of ambiguity with the laws when it comes to this.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry OP. Putting a pet down is the most traumatic thing I have ever experienced so far in my life. I've been debating whether or not to get another cat/dog but I never want to experience that again.

Putting a healthy dog to sleep is murder, wtf. He wasn't saving it from a painful terminal disease. He himself said it became a "liability", that's not how I would refer to a "best friend" whose personality changed after trauma.

Whatever. I feel sorry his dog was traumatized, and then killed by his owner, that's where my compassion goes in this story. See ya.
Sometimes saying nothing at all is the best decision. This is one of those times. Enjoy your lashings.

OP
OP
Microsoft

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
is the other dog dead?
I have no idea. I went to the hospital though due to rabies concerns... I got bit when I tried to separate both the dogs. I can say that when I explained it to the hospital staff, they asked me some questions and they sent animal control (?) to the person's home. Luckily I took a picture of his DL because he was suspiciously trying to run away from the situation. I got bit on one of my fingers.

Last edited:

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
Just went through having to put one of my dogs down recently, it really is the worst. Sorry for your loss OP.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Damn, this is sad.

OP doesn't seem to want to dish too many dets so I'm not gonna bother asking. (plus I don't like playing 21 questions. I assume people are grown ass adults so there is no point in me asking "how did the dog "turn on" the kids and whats your relationship with them? Was every option exhausted?" cause it doesn't fucking matter now)

Putting a dog down for such a reason prob isn't easy.
Feel bad for the doggo.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
She was attacked by an unleashed dog (this was the second time this happened) during a walk a while back. It was bad for my dog, at the same time, the owner of the other dog was hitting my dog trying to protect his. Ever since then, she trusted no other person or animal. Essentially became aggressive and a liability. Especially to children.

Damn. I know that can't have been an easy decision, but for what it's worth I think it was the right one under the circumstances. My condolences.

OP
OP
Microsoft

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
It's so surreal. My dog would be hanging about in my room. But she no longer is... God damn it hurts. Or I'd always wake up and she'd be there. I really hope time can heal this.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I'm so sorry for your loss, OP. I can see how much Nala meant to you and your family. Making this decision must have been incredibly hard, don't let the naysayers here get you down.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
This thread is reason #1 I'd never bring anything personal over to this site. Look how many people, like robots, need to pull out the fucking checklist and make sure everything was done by THEIR standards.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that, OP. I'm really sorry for your loss.

ForKevdo

Nov 2, 2017
I've performed my fair share of euthanasias, I must be a murderer

So sorry for your loss, OP, you had a beautiful pup and I'm sure that she was as happy as she could have been with you. I'm glad that you're confident in your decision, because it sounds like you made the right one.