• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
It's so surreal. My dog would be hanging about in my room. But she no longer is... God damn it hurts. Or I'd always wake up and she'd be there. I really hope time can heal this.
So sorry for your loss . It's impossible decision but kids are very fragile and a liability with some dogs.
My dog is very sweet she loves to climb up and give you hugs but I realised at some point that she's also skittish and nervous . When my baby was about 6 months I turned around for one second and the baby somehow crawled over and grabbed her. She freaked out and lashed out luckily just trying to get away but bit my daughter on her forehead. I was like holy fuck that was like 3 inches from her eye . I had to gate the dog sometimes and work on both of them when possible . Now my daughter is like 30lbs and dog is like 12lbs so it kinda sorted itself out but for a while I was wondering if id have to give dog away or leave at parents for a while. Luckily they came to a truce it was so stressful

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea. I went to the hospital though due to rabies concerns... I got bit when I tried to separate both the dogs. I can say that when I explained it to the hospital staff, they asked me some questions and they sent animal control (?) to the person's home. Luckily I took a picture of his DL because he was suspiciously trying to run away from the situation. I got bit on one of my fingers.

So sorry you had to go through all of this!! I know it's probably more stress than you want to have, but I'd definitely be looking at legal options to get compensation from the dog owner for not only your own medical bills for the hospital visit, but also the costs associated with your own pet.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I'm so so sorry for your loss OP! It's horrible losing such a valuable member of your family. Especially when it was because of someone else's actions and their insistence on looking out for themselves. I know how much it hurts to lose a dog. Even now years later I still look back on the times when he was around. I miss him greatly.

I hope that eventually time will heal that wound of loss, but know that you have people here who grieve with you.
You would have killed your cat because it wasn't friendly. Jesus
No, there are plenty of rescues that would have taken the dog and either rehabilitated it for a new home or fostered it forever. Places like Best Friends in Utah, who famously took all the Michael Vick dogs and rehabilitated them. It's understandable that OP was unable to be the one to rehabilitate the dog or live with its issues, but there are plenty of others who would have been happy to.

OP made the wrong decision, period.

Well it sounds super harsh, but he didn't "lose" his best friend, he chose to kill his best friend.
giphy.gif

And as someone from Utah, hendersonhawk, Best Friends wasn't able to help me with my dog. And ignored my postings afterwards.

So don't you dare act all high and mighty when even places like Best Friends have to reject requests.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's so surreal. My dog would be hanging about in my room. But she no longer is... God damn it hurts. Or I'd always wake up and she'd be there. I really hope time can heal this.

This breaks my heart man, I feel terribly for you.

A suggestion that some might find distasteful that I'd like to explain: Perhaps get another dog right now to help you with the pain. I know many view doing stuff like that as "replacing" your old dog, but I do not. My rational is as follows: when people are admitted to hospitals and such after going through traumatic events, a common thing is that the hospital or whatever will bring in therapy puppies. There's a lot of studies that show the effectiveness of dogs in helping people deal with raw, hurtful emotions. When I'm feeling very down about myself, my own dog will come and cheer me up, it's something great that is innately in dogs. Since you said you already feel like you'll eventually get another dog, I can't think of a better bonding moment for you and your future dog than having him by your side at such an important time. Through your grief, IMO, you will honor your dog by continuing your loving tradition of raising his species.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man people are so damn judgemental in here.

Sorry for your loss OP. That had to be a hard decision.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for your losses.

It sounds like you did what you could, especially taking 6 months off to try to help her. I'm sure she knew you loved her and was dedicated to helping her until her last moments with you. I'm sure you'll always be able to enjoy and gain something from the memories you have of her.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Sorry for your loss, OP

I had to put my cat down this year and it was fucking devastating. This thread is sort of confirming that it was a good thing I never posted about it though :\ The fuck is wrong with some of you people?

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
No, there are plenty of rescues that would have taken the dog and either rehabilitated it for a new home or fostered it forever. Places like Best Friends in Utah, who famously took all the Michael Vick dogs and rehabilitated them. It's understandable that OP was unable to be the one to rehabilitate the dog or live with its issues, but there are plenty of others who would have been happy to.

OP made the wrong decision, period.

Well it sounds super harsh, but he didn't "lose" his best friend, he chose to kill his best friend.

Jesus, get down from your high horse... kill his best friend... holy hell.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I went through a very similar story with one of my childhood dogs. You made the right decision, even though it is absolutely gut-wrenching. I'm sorry.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
She was attacked by an unleashed dog (this was the second time this happened) during a walk a while back. It was bad for my dog, at the same time, the owner of the other dog was hitting my dog trying to protect his. Ever since then, she trusted no other person or animal. Essentially became aggressive and a liability. Especially to children.
I usually don't post in pet threads but this got to me. Im so sorry you had to put her down over something that was neither of your faults.

My condolences OP. Im so sorry you had to go through that.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
She was attacked by an unleashed dog (this was the second time this happened) during a walk a while back. It was bad for my dog, at the same time, the owner of the other dog was hitting my dog trying to protect his. Ever since then, she trusted no other person or animal. Essentially became aggressive and a liability. Especially to children.

If anybody dared judge you before hearing this, I hope they hang their heads. It sounds like you almost did her a favor. She was stunted beyond repair and terrified of everything around her. I would pursue damages from the other owner if I were you.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Shit, OP, I'm very sorry for your loss. I know how hard a decision this must have been for you and that it cannot have been taken lightly. I know it hurts like hell but you have to act in the best interests of everyone. Don't listen to some of the cunts in this thread who are giving you a hard time: they don't know anything and you should ignore them.

Typical of this fucking place for people to come in and judge OP's decision process and character with limited information instead of offering consolation or advice. Goddamn it Era.
This thread is reason #1 I'd never bring anything personal over to this site. Look how many people, like robots, need to pull out the fucking checklist and make sure everything was done by THEIR standards.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that, OP. I'm really sorry for your loss.
Man people are so damn judgemental in here.

Sorry for your loss OP. That had to be a hard decision.
Sorry for your loss, OP

I had to put my cat down this year and it was fucking devastating. This thread is sort of confirming that it was a good thing I never posted about it though :\ The fuck is wrong with some of you people?
Yes, yes, yes and yes. There are lots of good things about this forum but the number of judgemental cunts who line up to pile on posters based on nothing more than assumptions they've pulled from their arses is pretty depressing. And people doubling, tripling, even octupling down on their shitty takes in here is woeful.

Mar 23, 2019
I can see what the other posters were trying to say about other potential options, but this isn't really the best time for hindsight when op is still grieving. Hopefully though, some others learned that putting a pet down doesn't have to be the first option.

Terribly sorry for your loss op. I got my first ever pup last December when she was 8 weeks just like yours. Me and my family love her more than anything, and I'd be heartbroken if I had to make the decision you had to. I hope there's some kind of legal action you can take against the idiot who had their dog off the leash.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
While I don't agree with your decision I am sorry for your loss. I had to put our corgi down last year due to terminal cancer. Losing a pet is always difficult.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Sorry for your loss.

It was bad for my dog, at the same time, the owner of the other dog was hitting my dog trying to protect his.

Out of curiosity, what was the breed of the attacking dog? It is kind of insane to attack a dog as big as a Boerboel.

You also mentioned she was attacked twice. How old was she when these attacks happened?
What made the second attack special (I mean, harder to recover from, on a psychological level)?

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
The people trying to make OP feel awful are terrible. There are so many people who have to put down or surrender their animal after exhausting every possible thing. The people who are being irresponsible about it are in a tiny minority.

I work with behaviorists (the licensed, regulated kind. not the morons who charge you $500 to look at your dog but haven't read a piece of research or learned anything new about dogs in 20 years). You can throw a ton of resources at a behavior problem without making much progress all while trying to manage what's a constantly dangerous situation because you've got kids, elderly grandma with dementia who can't follow the plan, etc. living with you.

Most closed intake shelters aren't going to take it in because they don't have the resources to deal work on the problem. Even the places that specialize have to turn most animals away. If you drop it off at the municipal animal shelter it's going to be scared and confused while it's evaluated, then put on a schedule, and then euthanized. In that case it's better to help them along peacefully yourself.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
How old, Id never put my dog down without atleast looking for another home, trainer or rescue foundation
So you'd basically make it someone else's responsibility to ultimately deal with the dog? That seems like the lame way out.

OP, sorry for your difficult situation.

OP
OP
Microsoft

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Sorry for your loss.

Out of curiosity, what was the breed of the attacking dog? It is kind of insane to attack a dog as big as a Boerboel.

You also mentioned she was attacked twice. How old was she when these attacks happened?
What made the second attack special (I mean, harder to recover from, on a psychological level)?
First time it happened she was 5 or 6 months old. I made the mistake of going to an unleashed dog park (I still had my dog leashed though). One dog came straight up to mine and started attacking it. It wasn't too bad but not a good experience for mine. It was a pitbull mix type dog, small breed.

Second time she was about 1.8 months old. This was about 2.5 months or so ago. I was simply walking my dog on a neighborhood and a person was walking his dog unleashed. The other dog did some serious damage to mine. The thing is that I disadvantaged my dog. I wasn't allowing her to fight back as I was pulling the leash back. Of course the other dog being free, had a huge advantage. It was also a pitbull type dog. No question about it.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
No. Grown people who let their dogs roam off-leash are some of humanity's absolute worst because they know damn well every possible way that can ruin or end the life of their companion, other animals, or literally any person in the area and they still make that decision. In this case, one guy being a jackass allowed his dog to go after someone else's dog, then hit the stranger's dog himself (despite this dog being leashed!) traumatizing the dog and leading to a premature end to its life. And that's just one incident. They're fucking assholes who deserve the worst until they realize their absurd self-importance is costing lives.
Jesus, you sounds like an angry 12 year old. You weren't there, you have no idea what happened. All you know was the dog was off-leash, not how it got that way.

In any event none of that is grounds for horrible endless torment for the owner and the very fact that you think this way speaks to your immaturity.

Last edited:

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I'm kind of embarrassed by some of the people on the first page running to immediately antagonize a community member who lost a loved one.

I'm sorry for your loss OP. I lost a cat that I loved very dearly a few years ago so I know how tough this can be

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
First time it happened she was 5 or 6 months old. I made the mistake of going to an unleashed dog park (I still had my dog leashed though). One dog came straight up to mine and started attacking it. It wasn't too bad but not a good experience for mine. It was a pitbull mix type dog, small breed.

Second time she was about 1.8 months old. This was about 2.5 months or so ago. I was simply walking my dog on a neighborhood and a person was walking his dog unleashed. The other dog did some serious damage to mine. The thing is that I disadvantaged my dog. I wasn't allowing her to fight back as I was pulling the leash back. Of course the other dog being free, had a huge advantage. It was also a pitbull type dog. No question about it.

Thanks for your answers. That is sad. I was not expecting her to be so young when these happened.

By the way, it was not your fault if the unleashed dog started running at your dog and attacking her, it is the fault of the master of the unleashed dog in my opinion.

That being said, in usual context, I believe dogs tend to be less nervous/aggressive when both are unleashed. I think the dog on a leash feels the pressure to protect her owner, which can lead to a more tensed situation. However, this does not apply in your two cases, because the attacker was the unleashed dog.

Last edited:

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of embarrassed by some of the people on the first page running to immediately antagonize a community member who lost a loved one.

I'm sorry for your loss OP. I lost a cat that I loved very dearly a few years ago so I know how tough this can be
This forum has a serious problem with trying to dunk on people; community members or not, at any given time. It's honestly embarrassing and sad.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry about your loss, OP. I trust you made the right decision, it sounds like this event was extremely traumatic for your dog.

That other person is an absolute piece of trash.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This forum has a serious problem with trying to dunk on people; community members or not, at any given time. It's honestly embarrassing and sad.

It's the poop in the swimming pool ratio.

Scientifically the poop represents an almost immeasurably tiny, vanishingly small proportion of the volume of the pool (and attendant danger) but the visual of the poop is more than enough to make everyone want to get out - but hardly represents the vast majority of the pool content.

See also: wasp in a crowded bus.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
This is a really naive view. For one it is not responsible to just foist off a dog with aggression issues unto some one else (certainly not anyone not qualified to do a lot of dog behavioral training and good luck finding some one who knows how much problems an aggressive dog can be having the time to take that risk). Secondly sometimes no amount of training will help a dog with aggression, especially not fear aggression.

This is a hard decision for anyone even when it is the obvious right decision without naive people coming in to judge the person.
What happened to "Death is a permanent solution for a temporary problem."?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017

A dog that lives about 8 years having aggressive tendencies and becoming antisocial is not a temporary problem.

That saying is more like someone loses their job or lives with chronic pain, is lonely after a breakup. These are situations for which there are many options or ways to look at things. This dog wasn't going to find any new answers.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I quoted a post that claimed that putting a dog down due to psychological (therefore behaviourial) issues is always acceptable.

I was not debating this specific case (won't do that either).

Behaviourial issues, not caused by medical issues such as neurological damage, are temporary. Unless they are not worked on then they become conditioned.

Our vet suggested to return our cat to the shelter, where it stays till they put him down due to his behavioural issues.

It took us half a year, but now we got him under control and he does not display anymore behavioural issues.

Comparing putting a dog down to suicide is gross.
I didn't?

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very sorry for your loss, OP. Ignore the few weirdos on this forum that tend to put dog lives above humans. You knew your situation and your dog best, and your family and children's safety is paramount. Making hard decisions like this is sometimes part of what it is to be a responsible owner of a large and aggressive dog breed.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I quoted a post that claimed that putting a dog down due to psychological (therefore behaviourial) issues is always acceptable.

I was not debating this specific case (won't do that either).

Behaviourial issues, not caused by medical issues such as neurological damage, are temporary. Unless they are not worked on then they become conditioned.

Our vet suggested to return our cat to the shelter, where it stays till they put him down due to his behavioural issues.

It took us half a year, but now we got him under control and he does not display anymore behavioural issues.

I didn't?
If you had read, he did take 6 months off employment I think to try to help his dog regain self-control but it wasn't enough. Not only that, but his dog was strong enough to seriosuly maim or kill and he had vulnerable people (children) living with him. Your situation with your cat is probably not that comparable except for perhaps similar love for your pets.

Sometimes not all situations can have blanket answers. we can say in general, it's better to try to rehabilitate before quarantine or euthanizing an animal, but some situations get pretty dire, so it's sometimes an acceptable solution. i don't think most posters would agree that euthanizing for any psychological problem at all is a-ok. They do mean it's situational, and often they trust an owner who loved their pet that they are making a sad but acceptable choice for their circumstances. Maybe you're more skeptical/cynical about people though.

Last edited:

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Sorry for your loss OP.

Dogs should always be on a leash in public places, I've seen and heard of so many incidents. My 2 year old boy was bowled over by a big dog off its leash, it could have been worse!.

OP
OP
Microsoft

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Thank you guys and gals. Reading your comments definitely helped. I was emotional yesterday. I swear I did not think I would get so, never in a million years. Just goes to show dog is man/womans best friend.

To the other people, I hope you are never in a position in which you have to make a decision on what to do with a big aggressive dog like a Boerboel. However, to those other people, I seriously hope you never have a Boerboel to begin with or anything like one.

Edit: I'm not going to seek legal action against the other person. I hope animal control did their jobs and ultimately chose the right thing in terms of what to do with their dog. The other person's dog had no business being unleashed. Seriously, wth? I am angry at the person but maybe it was an honest, albeit, ignorant mistake. It's not going to bring my dog back.

Sorry for your loss OP.

Dogs should always be on a leash in public places, I've seen and heard of so many incidents. My 2 year old boy was bowled over by a big dog off its leash, it could have been worse!.

I'm sorry to hear that. By boy do you mean a dog or your kid?

Last edited:

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington

Once again it's naive to think every behavioral problem can be fixed. Sometimes you can't (even with people). And an aggressive dog is a danger to everyone. It's also not responsible to hand off a dangerous dog to some one you have no real idea if they can handle it.

It's a very black and white viewpoint with no understanding of realities who thinks euthanasia is never appropriate for behavioral issues. I could also tell you a story of a dog that the probkem was not aggression but extreme separation anxiety that euthanasia was sadly the answer. The dog would hurt itself no matter what they tried and you can't expect anyone to never leave the house. And the dog was so terrified of being left even chaining it down didn't stop it from escaping (while ripping skin off to escape) and hurting itself more trying to get out to find its owner.

Sometimes there is not a happy ending and it's really naive to assume that there always can be.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
The OP has mentioned that the dog has been like this for years, is a breed that is larger than some people, and has been getting increasingly aggressive around kids and family.

It's a tough decision, but it sounds like efforts to rehabilitate it weren't working, and keeping it around longer carried a very real risk of the dog attacking someone out of the blue. And with a dog that big, an attack can kill or maim someone in seconds.

It makes sense to not want to take that chance. As much as OP clearly loved his dog, I think it was the right thing to do in order to protect the people around him. Being indecisive or hesitant about this, while understandable, would have put people in danger.

The original version of that phrase is "Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem", so it can be seen that way.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Trolling, Insensitive Generalizations
If you had read, he did take 6 months off employment I think to try to help his dog regain self-control but it wasn't enough. Not only that, but his dog was strong enough to seriosuly maim or kill and he had vulnerable people (children) living with him. Your situation with your cat is probably not that comparable except for perhaps similar love for your pets.

Sometimes not all situations can have blanket answers. we can say in general, it's better to try to rehabilitate before quarantine or euthanizing an animal, but some situations get pretty dire, so it's sometimes an acceptable solution. i don't think most posters would agree that euthanizing for any psychological problem at all is a-ok. They do mean it's situational, and often they trust an owner who loved their pet that they are making a sad but acceptable choice for their circumstances. Maybe you're more skeptical/cynical about people though.
Once again it's naive to think every behavioral problem can be fixed. Sometimes you can't (even with people). And an aggressive dog is a danger to everyone. It's also not responsible to hand off a dangerous dog to some one you have no real idea if they can handle it.

Im not going to discuss this specific case.

It's a very black and white viewpoint with no understanding of realities who thinks euthanasia is never appropriate for behavioral issues. I could also tell you a story of a dog that the probkem was not aggression but extreme separation anxiety that euthanasia was sadly the answer.

No. And honestly someone who truly believes in that I am not open to talk to further about this topic.

The dog would hurt itself no matter what they tried and you can't expect anyone to never leave the house. And the dog was so terrified of being left even chaining it down didn't stop it from escaping (while ripping skin off to escape) and hurting itself more trying to get out to find its owner.

Sometimes there is not a happy ending and it's really naive to assume that there always can be.
like jumping out off second floor, through windows, destroying walls/doors. Chewing through everything. Jumping over fences... i have seen that, and i have seen dogs being therapy who behaved like that. On the other hand, while you cant expect someone not to stay in house all life, the dog very well can come along or be managed with dogsitters. To take a shortcut and kill an animal just because its easier on the original owner, instead of re-homing, admitting one has failed in educating or whatever therefore not seeking professional help...

One can do that, yes, but it's not the only solution to behavioural problems. Those are temporary problems that can be fixed in different ways. Not all without medication, but death is never an answer for a temporary problem.

Chopchop
I just know the phrase as I wrote it: Death is a permanent solution for a temporary problem.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I had a Patterdale terrier that was the sweetest' most curious thing in the world. My cousin had the mother but we didn't see him often. One time he brought her round thinking it would be a nice thing to have them see each other.

There was a lot of inquisitive sniffing then the mother kinda went wild and and they started fighting. I got bit separating them and my little one got some nasty bites and a damged eye. Ever since that moment she sorta changed. Very defensive whenndogs were near her, snarling if they sniffed, would snarl if you walked past her while she was eating and very defensive over her toys and bed etc.

I would still wake up with her at the bottom of the bed, with her little sad eyes and I'd be like 'up then!' and she would snuggle on the covers in between my legs and I'd wake up with her dug under the covers somehow and curled up next to me. With us she was generally fine but some of those snarling moments I have to wonder how far could she have been pushed before she bit us, there were warning snaps in the air and such.

To see her behaviour change so quickly was so damn sad. She was such a lovely pet to everyone but after that she only seemed to let her guard down with a few people. She had to be put down for health reasons sadly while I was away working.

Sorry for your loss dude. It's painful. She was my bud during hard time, my only friend at some points of my life and spent 15 years with me since I was 12 and I still well uo with tears when I think I didn't get to say goodbye.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
like jumping out off second floor, through windows, destroying walls/doors. Chewing through everything. Jumping over fences... i have seen that, and i have seen dogs being therapy who behaved like that. On the other hand, while you cant expect someone not to stay in house all life, the dog very well can come along or be managed with dogsitters. To take a shortcut and kill an animal just because its easier on the original owner, instead of re-homing, admitting one has failed in educating or whatever therefore not seeking professional help...

One can do that, yes, but it's not the only solution to behavioural problems. Those are temporary problems that can be fixed in different ways. Not all without medication, but death is never an answer for a temporary problem.

You can't just rehome a dog that is so terrified of being left alone that any time it is it ends up damaging itself and other stuff. That person will end up having to leave sometimes too. We're talking about a dog they eventually tried to chain down to keep it from doing all that shit (jumping through windows and other stuff) and it literally tore its neck pulling itself out of the collar (or something like that, this has been a while since I heard of this case... that part just stuck out to me so I remember it better than the whole rest of the ordeal talked about). Yes, it is an extreme measure but at the end, they did have to put the dog down. By the way, this was in a dog forum full of people dedicated to dogs and no one thought it was the unappropriate action. These were people who know dogs very well and love dogs. The dog was living its life in terror and no drugs or behavioral or even physical restraints was doing anything to solve it. I mean this wasn't your everyday case of even extreme seperation anxiety. But point is you will get the unique case of even seperation anxiety where sometimes that is the answer. You can't just blanketly condemn some one just by hearing behavior problem and put to sleep. And dog aggression even more so cause you're talking about a dog that is dangerous to others. And a large dog can easily kill a kid or even adult.

ONce again, you're naive if you think that there is absolutely no case that sometimes that is the only thing that can be done.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for your loss. I lost my dog a week ago had 8 years died from cancer. I was completely devastated, gradually recovering from it.