• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
I'm having a hard time coping. She was the absolute fucking best. Had her since she was only 8 weeks old and saw her through adulthood. I'm not sure what I'm going to do without my dog now.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry you had to do that. If you don't mind me asking, what did your dog do?

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing other members.
Better give some more info before you trigger 90% of ERA lol.

Edit: Also sorry for your loss

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018
I'm assuming it was due to biting or being aggressive. Going by ERA threads on subject, going to guess a pitbull

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that he seems unhappy should probably clue you in that it wasn't an easy decision.

You're probably just going to scare him off with some crazy, unreasonable assumptions.

OP
OP
Microsoft

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
She was attacked by an unleashed dog (this was the second time this happened) during a walk a while back. It was bad for my dog, at the same time, the owner of the other dog was hitting my dog trying to protect his. Ever since then, she trusted no other person or animal. Essentially became aggressive and a liability. Especially to children.

Oct 25, 2017
She was attacked by an unleashed dog (this was the second time this happened) during a walk a while back. It was bad for my dog, at the same time, the owner of the other dog was hitting my dog trying to protect his. Ever since then, she trusted no other person or animal. Essentially became aggressive and a liability. Especially to children.

shit man, that's super sad.

really sorry for your loss OP.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

:/

You did the right thing by the sound of it.

Shazz

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017

oof sorry for your loss m8

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
How old, Id never put my dog down without atleast looking for another home, trainer or rescue foundation

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck this hurts to read, I'm so sorry for your loss

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I'm assuming it was due to biting or being aggressive. Going by ERA threads on subject, going to guess a pitbull

Just cause a dog isn't aggressive doesn't mean it is a pit bull. In fact they aren't even the breed that has the most bites reported (that would be cocker spaniel). Only two dogs I knew of personally that were put down due to aggression(both cause I worked at a vet) was an English mastiff and a bloodhound. The mastiff developed fear aggression when she turned two (dogs can get behavior changes around that age). Owner tried everything to train the dog out of it but nothing helped. She ended up having to put it down because it's a large dog and she couldn't risk the dog freaking out and biting a child (it would do a lot of damage). The bloodhound was grabbed from behind and bit the person who did so. Because it was his second bite the owner was told either he had to get insurance or the dog had to be put down. He could not afford insurance and the bloodhound rescue we knew of literally skipped town (they owed us money and the people had moved to Canada and this is how we found out) so he had us put him down. He couldn't even take the body home cause animal control insisted we keep the dog so they could come verify it was the dog.

Last edited:

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
And you know they didn't do this...how?
I don't. I do know that even dogs with incredibly severe aggression can be rehabilitated, and many major NA cities have organizations that take unwanted animals.

Lots of people I know don't know about groups that are willing to take those dogs.

Sorry for loss OP.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was she also aggressive in the home to others?

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
I don't. I do know that even dogs with incredibly severe aggression can be rehabilitated, and many major NA cities have organizations that take unwanted animals.
Pointing this out isn't going to help him at all when he already put his dog down. I had to put my cat down due to behavior issues because she became increasingly neurotic and it was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. I don't regret it at all, but I miss her like crazy.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I had a dog when I was about 13 years old. It was the sweetest, most loving dog in the world. There was a place behind our home where he contracted a skin disease. We spent thousands of dollars on veterinary trips, pills, creams, whatever we thought would work. It just got worse. He was bleeding and crying every day trying to scratch his own skin off. This is a hard decision but we put him to sleep because it was the right thing to do. No responsible pet owner takes this decision lightly.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
How old, Id never put my dog down without atleast looking for another home, trainer or rescue foundation

This is a really naive view. For one it is not responsible to just foist off a dog with aggression issues unto some one else (certainly not anyone not qualified to do a lot of dog behavioral training and good luck finding some one who knows how much problems an aggressive dog can be having the time to take that risk). Secondly sometimes no amount of training will help a dog with aggression, especially not fear aggression.

This is a hard decision for anyone even when it is the obvious right decision without naive people coming in to judge the person.

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
That's a sad situation. I know you probably wanted to rebuild the trust between your dog and people again, but when there's children in the house and aggression, obviously things are on a ticking clock and idealism and platitudes only go so far. I'm very sorry it came to this.

I'm currently trying to stop some severe aggression in a cat I adopted late last year and if it weren't just me in the apartment, I may have had to do the same.

I hope your family can rebuild and you can eventually come to terms with this difficult decision.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Pointing this out isn't going to help him at all when he already put his dog down. I had to put my cat down due to behavior issues because she became increasingly neurotic and it was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. I don't regret it at all, but I miss her like crazy.
If he didn't explore other options then that's his error as an owner.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Antagonizing Other Members Over a Series of Posts in this Thread; Numerous Prior Bans for Hostility and Inflammatory Behavior
That's a sad situation. I know you probably wanted to rebuild the trust between your dog and people again, but when there's children in the house and aggression, obviously things are on a ticking clock and idealism and platitudes only go so far. I'm very sorry it came to this.

I'm currently trying to stop some severe aggression in a cat I adopted late last year and if it weren't just me in the apartment, I may have had to do the same.

I hope your family can rebuild and you can eventually come to terms with this difficult decision.
You would have killed your cat because it wasn't friendly. Jesus

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really sorry to hear that OP, I know it wasn't a decision made lightly. Sorry for your loss :(

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
To people judging OP, maybe you would have taken risk with your family or others families with an aggressive animal, but don't go bad mouthing OP for deciding not to.

OP made the right choice.

Greecian

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck, I'm sorry man.

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
You would have killed your cat because it wasn't friendly. Jesus

I think you need to step you emotions back a bit.

I'm working with a behaviorist, my vet and a possible re-home agency, you don't know me. If I had a child in house in danger, I may not be able to wait around for the conditioning training to take old.

Maybe go for a walk and come back and post some of the resources you'd like to share to other pet owners of era that have struggled with their pets behaviors. Your pride isn't welcome.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Did you explore other options or not? The organization I volunteer for explicitly expects this of any potential owner.

Maybe it didn't occur to him that you had just the solution to his problem. Please tell me the name of your organization so I can be sure to tell them how judgmental you are.