• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
She was attacked by an unleashed dog (this was the second time this happened) during a walk a while back. It was bad for my dog, at the same time, the owner of the other dog was hitting my dog trying to protect his. Ever since then, she trusted no other person or animal. Essentially became aggressive and a liability. Especially to children.

Fuck that other person, god damn.

Reminds me of when this middle aged woman didn't nail down her beach tent and the wind picked it up as a projectile, destroying my tent, and within 2 feet of killing someone's toddler. Some people can't function in public.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Apologies to OP. I've just seen enough animals put down and treated as property that didn't deserve more resources that I'm soured. Especially considering the view many of this site seem to have for animals

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Her breed was a Boerboel. Look it up if you need to.

But this was the main reason I made the decision to put her down. She turned on family members she grew up with.

That's a real tough thing to do, OP. But you made the right choice.

Process the loss, remember the good times, and pick up a new puppy soon after to give a happy home and fully heal.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Did you explore other options or not? The organization I volunteer for explicitly expects this of any potential owner.

Knock it off. You don't know the exact situation that the OP is going through, nor do you have the right to judge him for making a decision in the best interests of his dog and his family.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She was attacked by an unleashed dog (this was the second time this happened) during a walk a while back. It was bad for my dog, at the same time, the owner of the other dog was hitting my dog trying to protect his. Ever since then, she trusted no other person or animal. Essentially became aggressive and a liability. Especially to children.
that's a shitty situation to go through. I'm sorry for you and your dog for other people's carelessness.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have a friend who went through something similar. Their dog use to be super friendly and would love playing with my dog. But, their dog got attacked once and became super aggressive around other dogs after that. Really fucking sucks. Fuck shitty pet owners who let their dogs run loose.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry about that and it's an awfil
Did you explore other options or not? The organization I volunteer for explicitly expects this of any potential owner.

That particular breed is one of the strongest and most powerful breeds in the world and extremely challenging to house and train even without the specific behavioral issues the poster described and is potentially not even rehabilitation-viable. It's territorial and bred to guard property against large African predators. It's not just an abused shelter dog or badly trained pit bull but a really significant legal and safety liability. It's a gigantic breed that could easily kill a child or adult if it were spooked or felt threatened or challenged.

I doubt there are many organizations willing to take her on. And the poster already sounds responsible and engaged in the dog's welfare and of those around it. If it's turning on family members then it may well be beyond help. It's possible a dedicated individual could do it but even the breeding organization has strict rules on how to train and categorize them.

Oct 25, 2017

That's heartbreaking.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so fucking sorry. I hope the guy who ruined your friend's trust lives out the rest of his days in pain and loneliness. What a fucking scumbag.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, man. The worst ones are the ones where it feels like there could have been a way. My mom has put down some pets where we walked away wondering if the vet was wrong with their diagnosis and/or recommendation.

The important thing is not dwell on it, which some Era users aren't helping.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Wow she was beautiful. I'm horribly sorry that you had to go through that as her best friend. She looked like a sweet girl before her traumatic experience. I have a dog of my own and I'd be devestated if I had the same thing happen to him because of an unleashed dog and a careless owner. That bit is infuriating.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
so sorry op. what a pretty doggie. bet you loved her a lot

something maybe others could consider is the fact that behaviour training for dogs doesn't always work. at the end of the day, dogs are animals and don't follow human parameters of logic and morality. even well trained dogs can and have killed children bc of unfortunate circumstances or off days. op probably did the right and only thing to do.

OP
OP
Microsoft

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Sorry about that and it's an awfil

That particular breed is one of the strongest and most powerful breeds in the world and extremely challenging to house and train even without the specific behavioral issues the poster described and is potentially not even rehabilitation-viable. It's territorial and bred to guard property against large African predators. It's not just an abused shelter dog or badly trained pit bull but a really significant legal and safety liability. It's a gigantic breed that could easily kill a child or adult if it were spooked or felt threatened or challenged.

I doubt there are many organizations willing to take her on. And the poster already sounds responsible and engaged in the dog's welfare and of those around it. If it's turning on family members then it may well be beyond help. It's possible a dedicated individual could do it but even the breeding organization has strict rules on how to train and categorize them.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Honestly, I'm a "tough guy" and I couldn't believe that I cried while I saw her get put down. Holy smokes it's freaking difficult.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Pwnz replies are just as baffling as the guy who made the Microsoft joke, but it's not my business.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
I'm so fucking sorry. I hope the guy who ruined your friend's trust lives out the rest of his days in pain and loneliness. What a fucking scumbag.
This is uncalled for. Things happen in life and none of us were there it's an unfortunate incident but not deserving of this kind of vitriol.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (5 Days) - Unnecessary hostility towards a grieving member
:/

You did the right thing by the sound of it.

No, there are plenty of rescues that would have taken the dog and either rehabilitated it for a new home or fostered it forever. Places like Best Friends in Utah, who famously took all the Michael Vick dogs and rehabilitated them. It's understandable that OP was unable to be the one to rehabilitate the dog or live with its issues, but there are plenty of others who would have been happy to.

OP made the wrong decision, period.

Or, show compassion to someone who just lost their best friend?

Well it sounds super harsh, but he didn't "lose" his best friend, he chose to kill his best friend.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing with my dog a few years ago. It's a tough decision but you know it was the right one.

Unleashed dog came out of a house and ran at us while on a (leashed) walk, my dog basically ripped it to shreds in seconds. It lived but the owner didn't seem to care in the moment or afterward, but that was enough for me to consider and finally decide to have him put down. Having kids and moving to a new house with tiny dogs living next door was really the deciding factor, I couldn't risk having it happen again or worse, with a kid.

He was old for his breed and was also having periodic seizures that the vet couldn't figure out how to keep under control. He lived a good life and I loved him but I'm not losing my entire life over a dog attack lawsuit.

I had him put down in my house with just me and the vet there playing with him and feeding him steak and treats until he finally wound down and passed away.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
No, there are plenty of rescues that would have taken the dog and either rehabilitated it for a new home or fostered it forever. Places like Best Friends in Utah, who famously took all the Michael Vick dogs and rehabilitated them.

Considering you have zero, and I mean absolutely zero clue what avenues OP explored before making the final decision you have no standing to make a claim that a wrong decision was made.

OP knew his dog better than someone hopping in a thread chilling in front of a screen casting judgement based on no facts.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
No, there are plenty of rescues that would have taken the dog and either rehabilitated it for a new home or fostered it forever. Places like Best Friends in Utah, who famously took all the Michael Vick dogs and rehabilitated them. It's understandable that OP was unable to be the one to rehabilitate the dog or live with its issues, but there are plenty of others who would have been happy to.

No, the OP made the right decision for this enormous, territorial breed of dog and it broke his heart. This isn't a celebrity dog intervention reality show.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering you have zero, and I mean absolutely zero clue what avenues OP explored before making the final decision you have no standing to make a claim that a wrong decision was made.

OP knew his dog better than someone hopping in a thread chilling in front of a screen casting judgement based on no facts.

Unless he contacted every rescue and no one would take him, something he has not mentioned trying, I feel comfortable in my judgement based on the facts that OP has presented.

No, the OP made the right decision for this enormous, territorial breed of dog and it broke his heart. This isn't a celebrity dog intervention reality show.

Places like Best Friends and similar are for everyone, not for celebrities. They take abused and mistrustful/aggressive dogs ALL. THE. TIME.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Pwnz replies are just as baffling as the guy who made the Microsoft joke, but it's not my business.

The thread started put with no info, I was just keeping it light. Had it started with all of the details I wouldn't have. The other owner was reckless, horrible situation.

Yea I removed them.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017

Well it sounds super harsh, but he didn't "lose" his best friend, he chose to kill his best friend.

Just check out the Best Friends website and it says "We rarely consider admission to Best Friends as the first option. Because of limited staff resources, we are not able to personally respond to every individual request." So seems obvious that that "option" is far from a sure thing.

Imagine seeing someone mourning their pet and thinking "Sweet! An opportunity to show how good a pet owner I am!"

No one is impressed by how morally superior you are to anyone who has ever put down a dog. Fuck off.

Unless he contacted every rescue and no one would take him, something he has not mentioned trying, I feel comfortable in my judgement based on the facts that OP has presented.

Places like Best Friends and similar are for everyone, not for celebrities. They take abused and mistrustful/aggressive dogs ALL. THE. TIME.

Yes, let's assume the worst. Why not? After all, very few people are as caring and knowledgable as you, so what are the odds they acted appropriately?

It's odd how the Best Friends site makes it seem like you shouldn't at all count on your dog being accepted by them when apparently they take all comers.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017

What is your problem? This was not a decision taken lightly, and putting a dog to sleep is not murder.

Maybe there are some cases where it's not justified, I'm not an expert. But this certainly doesn't sound like one of them.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There's so many things to say to you that would result in a ban....

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth

Someone who casts any form of criticism in good faith would have maybe asked for more information before doing so.

You're here only to cause trouble.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is your problem? This was not a decision taken lightly, and putting a dog to sleep is not murder.

Maybe there are some cases where it's not justified, I'm not an expert. But this certainly doesn't sound like one of them.

Putting a healthy dog to sleep is murder, wtf. He wasn't saving it from a painful terminal disease. He himself said it became a "liability", that's not how I would refer to a "best friend" whose personality changed after trauma.

Whatever. I feel sorry his dog was traumatized, and then killed by his owner, that's where my compassion goes in this story. See ya.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Somebody always has to come in these kintd of threads and show their ass. i wish people got banned for that bullshit.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

I said the same but apparently a dogs life isn't worth asking more questions about

I'll take the benefit of the doubt that OP looked at all options unlike most owners

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Putting a healthy dog to sleep is murder, wtf. He wasn't saving it from a painful terminal disease. He himself said it became a "liability", that's not how I would refer to a "best friend" whose personality changed after trauma.

Whatever. I feel sorry his dog was traumatized, and then killed by his owner, that's where my compassion goes in this story. See ya.

Well I have compassion for the dog which was clearly not mentally well after the trauma he suffered. I have compassion for the owner who made a difficult decision. I have compassion for the children the OP clearly implied had been scared or attacked by this animal.

My compassion isn't limited. It was a heartbreaking and difficult decision, and you can applaud the work of animal rescue teams without shitting on the OP.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Typical of this fucking place for people to come in and judge OP's decision process and character with limited information instead of offering consolation or advice. Goddamn it Era.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017

One of my dogs (15# miniature schnauzer) was attacked by a full grown German Shepard on a walk once. It absolutely changed her temperament. She's actually really good outside of our home now, but she can be VERY defensive in our home. We worked for years to try and help...There was a time when she would become hyper aggressive around young children, and that was tough to see. So I understand.

One of our other dogs was recently diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy (after having a cluster of 5 seizures in one day), and the days he was in the hospital were some of the hardest days of my entire existence. We honestly thought he was going to die or be brain dead after the incident.

Not having your pup around is going to suck for a while. There's nothing you can do to change that. But things will get better...I'm so sorry for your loss and hope you can find someone or something to help guide you through the pain.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019

would love to know your qualifications in dog training and handling?

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
maneil99, I wouldn't double down if I were you.
On a forum that views animals like this one I certainly won't. The frustration with me and the other user is that we have seen so many dogs killed without recourse. I'll try and hope that the OP looked into those options but it's just so common for people not to.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You realize that the law in many states and countries actually demands this depending on the dog and the situation right? The dog had already attacked or tried to attack multiple persons including trusted family members. Ideally no pet owner would ever have to go through this but you're calling him a murderer based on your view of a situation you don't have anywhere near enough context for.

In some situations a dog doing that wouldn't even be returned to its owner but taken away and destroyed. That's not my term that's the legal definition of what happens to dangerous or diseased animals. It's not called murder. And the guy is telling us the story because he's distraught about the fate of his dog and the people endangered.

It's not a barky chihuahua nipping people - it's a gigantic south African mastiff - specifically bred to protect property from lions and jackals- literally. And its own breeding organization won't even certify dogs that don't meet extremely specific criteria.

But he's not a murderer regardless of any of that.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
The lack of empathy people can show towards people on this site is unreal sometimes. I actually adopted my dog from Best Friends and in the process got to know some of the people who work there.

They absolutely do not have the facilities to accept every dog that sends a request at them due to one reason or another and this is true of most rescue organizations in America. And taking on a breed like a Boerboel would be a massive commitment due to the size and temperament of the breed. You're asking an organization to commit to hundreds of hours on rehabilitating a single dog, and most organizations do not have the resources to commit to something like that. You can't trust the dog around other dogs at that point and Best Friends runs ranch like facilities that emphasizes social interaction. An aggressive Boerboel would be a liability to the other dogs on their facility.

If you have zero clue on what you're talking about when it comes to running large scale rescue operations and aren't familiar with how much resource an organization has to commit to these larger breeds, just keep your mouth shut and give your condolences to OP for the loss of a magnificent creature.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
On a forum that views animals like this one I certainly won't. The frustration with me and the other user is that we have seen so many dogs killed without recourse. I'll try and hope that the OP looked into those options but it's just so common for people not to.

Hey look, there's those gross generalizations again.

If I see a few people on a forum say something it must mean the entire forum is that way.

Clearly your apology was hollow. You should probably just bow out of the thread and take some time to cool off.

OP
OP
Microsoft

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373

I don't know if you're a dog owner yourself. Or maybe you put a dog's life over a humans. It may sound a little harsh to my dog by me saying that, but you wanna talk about pitbulls being dangerous, then you certainly don't know about my dog. Her breed is a Boerboel. She was well on her way to becoming bigger than a lot of humans. Especially anyone you can call a child/children. After she got attacked, she never came back from it and developed behavioral issues. We are talking about a dog that can do a lot more damage than any pitbull. Anyway, I know for a fact I made the right decision.