• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

klee123

Oct 27, 2017
It's my favourite until REmake came in.

It offered the most customisibility of all the classic games with the ammo creation. dodge mechanic and multiple branch pathways.

Nemesis was also really groundbreaking for the series since it follows you from room to room.

From a lore perspective, I also appreciate how the game shows you the aftermath of the virus outbreak in other parts of the city compared to 2 which was just the Police HQ for most of the game.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
Code: Veronica and 0 exist, so no.

I would very deliberately and without apology play these games over RE3. Better environments, better design, better characters (Jill notwithstanding), better story... better just about everything.

Don't get me wrong, I like RE3, but even at the time of release I considered it decidedly inferior to 1 and 2, and subsequent classic-style RE games have only continued to be more impressive.

And since we're tiering

RE1 > REmake > RE2 > RECV > RE0 > RE3

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the game was fantastic back when it was first released and that feeling remains to this day. Sure, it was no R Evil 2, but it gave us things like ammo crafting, quick turn, mercenaries and one of my favourite credit themes in any game.

I also loved the epilogues you could unlock after beating the game multiple times. I spent ages unlocking them all back in the day. I wonder if any of the are actually still canon now?

The epilogues are all canon, though Ada's makes clear "Ada Wong" was just a fake character who the Spy was saying goodbye to.

...except then she didn't for some reason.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great game. The most fun classic RE to replay imo. It has the best tank controls. It shows when you play CV, which is a giant step back.

Weird difficulty though. Easy and Hard? Easy is lame and gives you nearly every weapons and you get shit from beating nemesis. It blocks you from getting the most awesome weapons. Hard on the other hand starts off difficult, but you can get the desert eagle and custom shotgun which makes it easier than Normal. This is a bit akin to Valkyrie Profile, which has a similar hard mode with better rewards.

Mercs was awesome as well.

I got all epilogues back in the day, subsequent playthroughs were easy with minigun and launcher.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it was completely inferior to the first two games. Uninspired and kinda lame.
Objectively false for many reasons.

Aside from story and the fact RE2 looks better visually than RE1, RE2 is the worst of the first 3 games. It has the worst balance of supplies of the first 3 (only CV balances worse in classic series) and worst puzzles of all the classic styled games, by far.

Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 2 was a tough act to follow, not to mention the formula was starting to wear a bit thin. If Code Veronica was a PS1 game, it probably would have had the worst reception in the series lol. Like someone else said, Resident Evil 4 was honestly the shakeup the series needed. Of course they took the TPS thing too far with the later sequels, but that's an argument for another day :D

TwinsUltra64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cyberspace, EUROPE
You should play it, I totally recommend it.
It deserve more recognition the game is fun to play and addictive, it's a little more fast paced and also this is
the last time you visit Raccoon City, before the totally anilihation

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Recently played it during RE2 20th anniversary and it's still a masterpiece. Had my other RE2 enthusiast buddy who somehow never played RE3 give it a whirl and he was so scared. It was glorious.

Oct 31, 2017
It's unclear if it was renamed due to business decisions or because the plot grew in development.

It's not unclear : the RE spin off team at Capcom was working on Nemesis while the Kamiya team was working on RE3. The PS2 was announced and because of that, Kamiya's RE3 needed way more development time... So the spin off became RE3 and the team crunched like crazy to meet the deadline.

From what I've read, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but during early to mid development Resident Evil Code: Veronica was titled Resident Evil 3

I don't think that's true as OG RE3 was developed by Kamiya's team, a game that we all know as... DMC :D

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-18-inside-the-resident-evil-4-that-never-was

It's a pretty fascinating story.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not unclear : the RE spin off team at Capcom was working on Nemesis while the Kamiya team was working on RE3. The PS2 was announced and because of that, Kamiya's RE3 needed way more development time... So the spin off became RE3 and the team crunched like crazy to meet the deadline.

That doesn't explain why it was renamed to RE3 though. There was no rule that said Capcom had to release a numbered RE title by a given date. It was either renamed because the dev team realised that, in expanding the story, it had become more important to events and deserving of being the next main entry, or because higher-ups decided RE1.9 was not a title that would sell well. Most likely it was somewhere in between.

Kamiya's RE3 was always a PS2 title. Even the RE3 that came before Kamiya's that was the first iteration of "RE on a boat" was a PS2 title. After RE2 Capcom had RE titles in development for every system at the time—CV for Dreamcast, Zero for N64, "RE3" for PS2, RE3 for PS1.

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017
The RE2Make should include 3's scenario, and clean up some of the continuity.

I wouldn't be opposed to playing the beginning of Jill's scenario, jumping to Leon/Claire, then back to Jill for the finish.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
IMO it's the most underrated game in the series, I just replayed it on the Vita and it holds up very well. Forgot how hard it was as well.

I wouldn't be opposed to playing the beginning of Jill's scenario, jumping to Leon/Claire, then back to Jill for the finish.
Been saying this since the REmake 2 announcement. They should combine them into a megagame somehow.

nuttyevans

Nov 8, 2017
I've played through RE3 countless times and I still don't understand the dodge mechanic. When it works it doesn't feel like it's because of something i did lol. Still love the game, that western shotgun...

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's basically an expansion for RE2 passed off as a full game. Resident Evil 2 was groundbreaking for the series, RE3 was just more of the same.

Only reason people like it is Jill in her tube top.
Why is that I've been seeing posts lately inferring that a sequel which doesn't majorly change the franchise is just an expansion? Like is Uncharted 3 just an expansion? It's lame that a sequel can't simply a sequel.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i read in an old interview with mikami the only reason it was called "resident evil 3" was for continuity with the playstation games. Code Veronica was really more in the spirit of where they wanted to go with "a true sequel", not that either game is better or worse, they just thought naming the game anything other than RE3 would confuse people

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I'd imagine it gets a weird reception, because for whatever reason, what appears to have been intended as "easy" mode was sold as the normal mode of the game (it's comparable to "Rookie" mode in RE2). Hard/Heavy is probably the best gameplay wise out of the first three games.

It is absolutely not an "expansion." The R.P.D. is practically an easter egg, so little of the game is spent there. I do feel that later developments with Nemesis felt like "been there, done that" with the G-Virus and William Birkin, who was ultimately a more interesting stalker character than Nemesis - despite the fact that Nemesis was handled incredibly well for the time. I guess it's pretty hard to say what they should have done differently though. "It's relentless - even when submerged in acid it still comes back for Jill!" sounds like the right move, but in the end it just felt like the blob at the end of the train in 2. A little too close to "it won't die, it just transforms!"

Maybe the problem I have with it is that it was a blob.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Not really a fan of RE3. Rather than a true sequel, it felt like RE 2.5.

I found it pretty boring because it was back in Racoon City. Code Veronica is the true RE3.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I talked with the director of the game for 8 hours last year. Here were the major takeaways from that discussion:

- RE3 was never intended to have a number
- It was intended to be a leaner, shorter, more action-oriented game with unique gameplay fixtures you wouldn't find in a mainline RE
- That's why CV, REmake and Zero never implemented the dodge mechanics that are only found in this game
- That's also why there's only one protagonist and, branching paths aside, only one scenario and two bosses
- They also had a smaller budget than RE2 and a shorter development time, so rather than innovate on a technical level, they reused the RE2 engine
- And thus they needed a new team to write the game and develop parts of it
- The number was added late in development to help it sell better and assist the company with certain financial endeavors they were planning to undertake in late 1999/early 2000

RE3 doesn't really fit the "trilogy" narrative the way something like Return of the Jedi does. If you look at the whole overarching storyline, it's definitely CV that's the grand third act of the early RE era. The director himself and most people in development would agree that RE3 functions as an RE2 add on, 3rd disc to RE2, or something similar.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I talked with the director of the game for 8 hours last year. Here were the major takeaways from that discussion:

- It was intended to be a leaner, shorter, more action-oriented game with unique gameplay fixtures you wouldn't find in a mainline RE
- That's why CV, REmake and Zero never implemented the dodge mechanics that are only found in this game
- That's also why there's only one protagonist and, branching paths aside, only one scenario and two bosses
- They also had a smaller budget than RE2 and a shorter development time, so rather than innovate on a technical level, they reused the RE2 engine
- The number was added late in development to help it sell better and assist the company with certain financial endeavors they were planning to undertake in late 1999/early 2000

RE3 doesn't really fit the "trilogy" narrative the way something like Return of the Jedi does. If you look at the whole overarching storyline, it's definitely CV that's the grand third act of the early RE era. The director himself and most people in development would agree that RE3 functions as an RE2 add on, 3rd disc to RE2, or something similar.

Interesting, I never knew this.

I wonder if RE3 will be part of the new RE2 remake?

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Loved it a ton and even rebought it on gamecube. I still place RE2 over it slightly. I liked nemesis at the time of release but he hasn't aged too well these days. The og games in general haven't. People at the time didnt like RE3 as much due to the formula starting to show its age by that point.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Oh cool I didn't know this bit of history. I guess that also explains why they named code veronica that instead of RE4

olimpia84

Nov 1, 2017
Tampa Bay
IMO, Nemesis is the best villain in games. Loved the sense of surprise and fear the game provided when you played it the first time; you never knew when Nemesis was going to show up.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
It's just ultimately not very memorable, and Nemesis isn't as scary/fun as you might think.

A fine game to be sure, but it's arguably the weakest of the classic style RE games imo.
Basically. Code Veronica was worse, but RE3 never felt interesting to me from the get go. Nemesis was a fun idea but the concept clashed with classic RE's camera angles and prerendered backgrounds, making the guy much more of a hassle than he should be. And the rest of the game just wasn't very interesting.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
i read in an old interview with mikami the only reason it was called "resident evil 3" was for continuity with the playstation games. Code Veronica was really more in the spirit of where they wanted to go with "a true sequel", not that either game is better or worse, they just thought naming the game anything other than RE3 would confuse people

Except CV was worse.

Mind controlled hunters, tentacles, super soldiers, hulk rip off, super mutants, cross dressers, and Claire falling for a junior HS boy. Not to mention the step back in mechanics.

Thinking off it, after CV, the direction RE4 took story / plot wise isn't as suprising (unfortunately).

Still, RE0 is worse. It's s very good looking, nonsensical game that should never have been made.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The epilogues are all canon, though Ada's makes clear "Ada Wong" was just a fake character who the Spy was saying goodbye to.

...except then she didn't for some reason.

She's kinda funny like that. I like to think she convinced herself it's easier to continue using the name but, really, she keeps it because it's what Leon calls her.

:'D

Oct 31, 2017
That doesn't explain why it was renamed to RE3 though. There was no rule that said Capcom had to release a numbered RE title by a given date. It was either renamed because the dev team realised that, in expanding the story, it had become more important to events and deserving of being the next main entry, or because higher-ups decided RE1.9 was not a title that would sell well. Most likely it was somewhere in between.

The answer is in the eurogamer article.

Edit : I forgot to quote the following

Kamiya's RE3 was always a PS2 title.

Nope.

"The main title was Biohazard 3 for the original PlayStation, with Hideki Kamiya as director," confirms Kawamura."

It's taken from the same EG article ! :P

Last edited:

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Been saying this since the REmake 2 announcement. They should combine them into a megagame somehow.

Ah, thread about RE3 wouldn't be complete without this horrible idea being floated around. I sometimes wonder if people who say this have even really played RE3 past the opening

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, thread about RE3 wouldn't be complete without this horrible idea being floated around. I sometimes wonder if people who say this have even really played RE3 past the opening

Yes. I wonder if you'll expand on why it's a bad idea instead of shitting up a thread instead?

The continuity fits, RE2 could use the gameplay improvements from RE3 (not withstanding a full REmake treatment), and it's been years (RE 5 IIRC) since Jill was in a game. There's no reason to be as dismissive here as you're being.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. I wonder if you'll expand on why it's a bad idea instead of shitting up a thread instead?

The continuity fits, RE2 could use the gameplay improvements from RE3 (not withstanding a full REmake treatment), and it's been years (RE 5 IIRC) since Jill was in a game. There's no reason to be as dismissive here as you're being.

This would kill the pacing of a great game to insert RE3. There isn't a single plot point from RE3 that would benefit being in the RE2 remake. The russian mercenaries ? Not relevant. Nemesis ? Not relevant.

And then it just kills all the enjoyment out of RE2 considering RE3 has a part where you enter the RPD and go out like it's a tourist attraction. All the tension and majesty of the art museum turned police station would be gone by the time you get to the RE2 part.

The dodge mechanic of RE3 was wonky and was doing more harm than good, how many times the dodge activated just to find yourselves dashing towards the group of zombies instead of being away ? It just does not work except for single-enemy fights.

The dodge itself doesn't even make sense in the context of a survival horror, you're not supposed to zig-zag enemies with dodges, you're supposed to deal with them with what you have or go around them. Not find a way to completely bypass them through timing.

And then are we seriously supposed to believe Jill slept like a log for several days ? It's just going to make the plot of the series look worse because then we'd actually have to face all the inconsistencies of the hamfisted story that is RE3.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I've already argued why it's a terrible idea about a dozen times, if not more, over various threads, but I can give the short version.

Outside two locales you are very briefly in, RE2 and RE3 share very few locations and there's much more to RE3 than I think many people remember: it's very much it's own game and trying to roll it into another will just mean most of its unique areas and time will be cut and cropped because obviously the focus will be the far more popular and well-known RE2.

And sure, it's not an impossible thing to get a game that both remakes and expands RE2 and RE3's respective stories and areas, but the kind of budget for that isn't something Capcom is going to allot to a game, especially now that they're in a period of trimming major budgets for their titles. If this was fantasy la la Land, sure, but we don't live in fantasy la la Land.

It's always been an idea that is good on its surface, but once you really examine it becomes pretty shit

EDIT: And Dream above does a good job of fleshing out smaller points. I honestly don't think most who suggest this remember RE3 that well.

Last edited:

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
RE3 is my favorite of the original trilogy. I played it for the first time a couple years ago.

The attention to detail on the city is amazing even by today's standards, and the addition of the quick-turn and ability to auto-target barrels and valves is brilliant. I also love the ammo crafting, giving you control over what kinds of ammo you make, and how much. And of course the recurring encounters with Nemesis are classic. I also like the branching paths at different points in the story. The game also does a great job of surprising you when you revisit areas. Enemies burst through windows, pop out of cars, spill out of doorways, etc. They ambush you in so many creative ways.

It's way scarier than RE2, yet less punishing than REmake. It strikes the perfect balance between resource scarcity and player empowerment, between tension and release. RE3 even has some rather clever puzzles. I was impressed by how much I enjoyed it, especially since it seems like the most underrated of the three.

MCD250

Oct 27, 2017
Mm, yeah, jamming RE3 into RE2 would be a pretty bad idea. Not sure it'd work without effectively having to streamline/cut down at least one of the two games. The resulting experience would be less than the sum of its parts.

I think probably the only thing that that would help/facilitate would be to explain where the tyrants in the factory came from, and that's not really worth the trouble.

Last edited:

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mm, yeah, jamming RE3 into RE2 would be a pretty bad idea. Not sure it'd work without effectively having to streamline/cut down at least one of the two games. The resulting experience would be less than the sum of its part.

I think probably the only thing that that would help/facilitate would be to explain where the tyrants in the factory came from, and that's not really worth the trouble.

It 100% could not without a fairly large budget, and I don't see Capcom doing that. Especially since, granting RE2Make being successful, that's another modestly budgeted game you could sell down the road.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston

I kinda agree. It would pad on hours and ruin the flow / tempo of RE2 IMO.

I'd rather a full R3make after 2 myself.

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017
This would kill the pacing of a great game to insert RE3. There isn't a single plot point from RE3 that would benefit being in the RE2 remake. The russian mercenaries ? Not relevant. Nemesis ? Not relevant.

And then it just kills all the enjoyment out of RE2 considering RE3 has a part where you enter the RPD and go out like it's a tourist attraction. All the tension and majesty of the art museum turned police station would be gone by the time you get to the RE2 part.

The dodge mechanic of RE3 was wonky and was doing more harm than good, how many times the dodge activated just to find yourselves dashing towards the group of zombies instead of being away ? It just does not work except for single-enemy fights.

The dodge itself doesn't even make sense in the context of a survival horror, you're not supposed to zig-zag enemies with dodges, you're supposed to deal with them with what you have or go around them. Not find a way to completely bypass them through timing.

And then are we seriously supposed to believe Jill slept like a log for several days ? It's just going to make the plot of the series look worse because then we'd actually have to face all the inconsistencies of the hamfisted story that is RE3.

So, in effect, a game accounting for both of those during development could not address matters of pacing? The main issue with the RPD section is that it happened before RE2 in the chronology and nothing you did there mattered to RE2. An approach that treats RE3 like an actual title versus the side story it was initially would have to address that. It was jarring going from playing RE2 where zapping was a thing, to a game like RE3 which undid a lot of the impact of zapping by forgetting/ignoring that the player had been there before as a gamer, and also that they would go there *again* chronologically. As for gameplay, I should have been more clear. There were several quality of life changes to movement, dodge included, that would make it to other games in the series like not pushing a button to go up/down stairs (just one example).

Essentially, I disagree with a few ideas here, main point is that RE3 came out and had improvements worth considering and some that continued through to future iterations gameplay-wise, while continuity-wise RE3 was harmed by semi-bungling RPD - this could be remedied, your suspension of disbelief notwithstanding.

I've already argued why it's a terrible idea about a dozen times, if not more, over various threads, but I can give the short version.

Outside two locales you are very briefly in, RE2 and RE3 share very few locations and there's much more to RE3 than I think many people remember: it's very much it's own game and trying to roll it into another will just mean most of its unique areas and time will be cut and cropped because obviously the focus will be the far more popular and well-known RE2.

And sure, it's not an impossible thing to get a game that both remakes and expands RE2 and RE3's respective stories and areas, but the kind of budget for that isn't something Capcom is going to allot to a game, especially now that they're in a period of trimming major budgets for their titles. If this was fantasy la la Land, sure, but we don't live in fantasy la la Land.

It's always been an idea that is good on its surface, but once you really examine it becomes pretty shit

EDIT: And Dream above does a good job of fleshing out smaller points. I honestly don't think most who suggest this remember RE3 that well.

It is possible to hold that opinion without being a dick about people remembering RE3. As for your budget points, let's not act like either one of these games was some Skyrim level massive sandbox. These were games that could easily be completed in 8 hours combined, tops. The entire RE1-3 trilogy spawned tons of strategy specific speed runs based upon the relative brevity of the game allowing for memorization of routes and efficiency planning. Somehow I doubt there's AAA level budget disaster included here.

I kinda agree. It would pad on hours and ruin the flow / tempo of RE2 IMO.

I'd rather a full R3make after 2 myself.

I'm definitely sympathetic to this view most of all, the pacing of RE2 and RE3 were completely different from the start. However, both games combined are about the same length as maybe the first Uncharted game (6-8 hours) and nowhere near the length of RE4 and beyond.

Ideally, in a world where Capcom cared to make survival horror flavored RE games, yeah definitely R3make would be a better choice.