• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
So I don't go to a traditional school, I go to a school where it's a physical location but they give you a chromebook and all the course material is online but you are in a classroom and you submit your work through Google Docs. So it's like kind of a mix.

My school has said before that taking notes and taking quizzes based on what you learned (like most online schools do) "teaches you nothing and is just memorizing useless information", so they have always required us to do research, show work, etc.

So for example, in a history class, one of the assignments might be to do some research on a war or someone important to history and make a 3 page essay on it. Then at the end of the unit, you'll need to write an essay explaining in your own words everything that's you learned in the unit and show that you learned it and understand the concept.

In a math class, you'll be taught a concept and then be told to make 15 examples using that concept and explain step by step how to do every single example.

Well, that brings me to change. Like all schools, my school was closed for MLK Day. During this break, I spent that time doing a research assignment for a history class. I come back to school today to submit that assignment and CHANGE.

So I go to submit it and notice all of my classes have been completely redesigned. My percentage of the course complete is the same but I go to submit that research assignment and it's been completely replaced by "Lecture and Notes — In this Assignment, you will be listening to a lecture on a panorama and taking notes. You can take notes either digitally via Google Docs or on paper physically. You can use these notes on the final test for the module." And the essay at the end of each unit that shows what you learned is now a test where you can use open notes on!

For math, there is now examples you take notes on and you take a test afterwards and are allowed to use an advanced calculator built into the course.

Everything seems simplified and it's completely contradictory because of how the school said that teaches you nothing. So why did they change to a system they don't believe in?

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be thankful.

No way in hell I'd keep going to a school that did what was happening before. Essays on the actual assignment and an essay on what/how you learned? Nah.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Welcome to life!

Stuff changes all the time and you have no control over it. Sometimes it's actually okay and you just need to get used to it, but most times it just gets stupider.

Have fun!

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
what level is this? high school? middle school?
Senior year in high school is me (hopefully graduating in May). But my school isn't traditional and the seniors are mixed in with the freshmen, sophomores and juniors. Basically it's a history classroom and everyone has a different level of math depending on their grade but it's all mixed grades.

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
I'd be thankful.

No way in hell I'd keep going to a school that did what was happening before. Essays on the actual assignment and an essay on what/how you learned? Nah.

The research factor seemed like a good approach, at least - nowadays that everyone can quickly check facts and sources online, moving away from memorization seems like a healthy approach to learning.
Reminds me of how very rarely in my school there were maths/physics test where we could bring notes with formulas, but then the problems would be harder - that's probably a closer model who how that information would be used in a real situation anyway, there'd be more thought to it involved than simply remembering formulas for about a week until your mental cache drops it for something else.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
The research factor seemed like a good approach, at least - nowadays that everyone can quickly check facts and sources online, moving away from memorization seems like a healthy approach to learning.
Reminds me of how very rarely in my school there were maths/physics test where we could bring notes with formulas, but then the problems would be harder - that's probably a closer model who how that information would be used in a real situation anyway, there'd be more thought to it involved than simply remembering formulas for about a week until your mental cache drops it for something else.
For me personally the frustrating thing is how they said that memorization teaches you nothing and then they completely went back on their word and replaced all research with memorization.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have a teacher? Sounds like your teaching yourself, which frankly, is an awful way to learn at your age.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Uhh what kind of bullshit "education" is this? Sounds like you're just learning how to Google stuff....

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Do you have a teacher? Sounds like your teaching yourself, which frankly, is an awful way to learn at your age.
As I said, we are at a physical school location inside a classroom, just all on Chromebooks on student desks. The teacher is at their desk in the back and there if people need help. The curriculum is created by the teachers and is posted online.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
As I said, we are at a physical school location inside a classroom, just all on Chromebooks on student desks. The teacher is at their desk in the back and there if people need help. The curriculum is created by the teachers and is posted online.
That's so strange. It's like there's no value placed on in-person interaction, which I'm sure is a significant factor in getting through to many students.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017

Is this all day? Your teacher is sitting in the back of the room?

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I don't go to a traditional school, I go to a school where it's a physical location but they give you a chromebook and all the course material is online but you are in a classroom and you submit your work through Google Docs. So it's like kind of a mix.

My school has said before that taking notes and taking quizzes based on what you learned (like most online schools do) "teaches you nothing and is just memorizing useless information", so they have always required us to do research, show work, etc.

So for example, in a history class, one of the assignments might be to do some research on a war or someone important to history and make a 3 page essay on it. Then at the end of the unit, you'll need to write an essay explaining in your own words everything that's you learned in the unit and show that you learned it and understand the concept.

In a math class, you'll be taught a concept and then be told to make 15 examples using that concept and explain step by step how to do every single example.

Well, that brings me to change. Like all schools, my school was closed for MLK Day. During this break, I spent that time doing a research assignment for a history class. I come back to school today to submit that assignment and CHANGE.

So I go to submit it and notice all of my classes have been completely redesigned. My percentage of the course complete is the same but I go to submit that research assignment and it's been completely replaced by "Lecture and Notes — In this Assignment, you will be listening to a lecture on a panorama and taking notes. You can take notes either digitally via Google Docs or on paper physically. You can use these notes on the final test for the module." And the essay at the end of each unit that shows what you learned is now a test where you can use open notes on!

For math, there is now examples you take notes on and you take a test afterwards and are allowed to use an advanced calculator built into the course.

Everything seems simplified and it's completely contradictory because of how the school said that teaches you nothing. So why did they change to a system they don't believe in?

Welcome to what awaits you in the adult professional world my friend.

Monday:

"Go left! Go left! Never go right! It's all that is wrong in our industry!"

Tuesday:

"Hey guys, please read the memo from corporate saying always go right from now on."

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I gotta tell ya as someone with one term left of my integrated masters it's a key key skill.

This school you're in sounds pretty out there OP, are you paying for tuition? Just curious.
It's a public school. We had to pay a $70 fee to rent the Chromebook but I think that's all. We have around 300-350 students and it's what they call an "accelerated school". You can go at your own pace, as slow or fast as you want. You can use your phone, watch videos or do anything, it's your choice to fail, the teachers aren't going to babysit you. If you don't get credit, the teacher is going to tell you it's your fault for not taking advantage of the opportunity. We also don't get F's, we get A/B/C/NM (no mark), no mark means no credit and you don't get ANY credit until the entire course is completed.

You get all of the curriculum all at once instead of "do this assignment this day". The goal is for you to finish the course in 3 months or faster. If you do go faster than the average pace, you can graduate early because you can get all of your credits faster, you choose how fast or slow you want to finish the courses.

They also say it's a "choice school" and if you aren't doing any school work and repeatedly not getting any credit or making any form of progress, they WILL kick you out of school and force you to go to a traditional one.

That's basically the general idea of how the school works.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for the detail above OP. That sounds like a nightmare, but all that matters is if you find it engaging and a positive learning experience. Have you taken the SAT? Does this neo-school prepare you for them?

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
this sounds really fucking weird

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Thank you for the detail above OP. That sounds like a nightmare, but all that matters is if you find it engaging and a positive learning experience. Have you taken the SAT? Does this neo-school prepare you for them?
SATs they haven't done (that I know of) however they force all 9th, 10th and 11th graders to take the ACT. They might force 12th graders to take the SAT but I personally have not been called down to take that yet.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
You still learn all the stuff you learn at a normal school (although maybe a little less), they add everything that the education standard requires students to learn and the stuff that isn't on the standard is usually optional/extra credit. The goal of the school is to graduate so they don't really have all that extra not required by the standard stuff because they want you to graduate.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a public school. We had to pay a $70 fee to rent the Chromebook but I think that's all. We have around 300-350 students and it's what they call an "accelerated school". You can go at your own pace, as slow or fast as you want. You can use your phone, watch videos or do anything, it's your choice to fail, the teachers aren't going to babysit you. If you don't get credit, the teacher is going to tell you it's your fault for not taking advantage of the opportunity. We also don't get F's, we get A/B/C/NM (no mark), no mark means no credit and you don't get ANY credit until the entire course is completed.

You get all of the curriculum all at once instead of "do this assignment this day". The goal is for you to finish the course in 3 months or faster. If you do go faster than the average pace, you can graduate early because you can get all of your credits faster, you choose how fast or slow you want to finish the courses.

They also say it's a "choice school" and if you aren't doing any school work and repeatedly not getting any credit or making any form of progress, they WILL kick you out of school and force you to go to a traditional one.

That's basically the general idea of how the school works.

Sounds unique, I wonder how much external bodies take a look at the curriculum.

On your topic, yeah it sucks when any project or workload gets redefined with no warning. At the very least you're graduating soon so you can just focus on knuckling down, and the odd education is bound to be helpful in applications. I imagine there's not gonna be many people who can relate though, I feel most of us just went through the usual teach teach teach EXAM formula.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
SAT you gotta sign up for yourself and pay the fee, then go to a neutral place to take the test with all kids in your region. If you plan to go to a traditional college, you need to do it, which is unfortunate that your school hasn't prepared you for this.

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
The one rule I've found true in my personal and professional life is: "The only constant is change."

People change their minds, business models shift, and most importantly the thoughts and feelings you have now will evolve over the years. You may look back in 20 years and find you are a different person.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
SAT you gotta sign up for yourself and pay the fee, then go to a neutral place to take the test with all kids in your region. If you plan to go to a traditional college, you need to do it, which is unfortunate that your school hasn't prepared you for this.
You don't need to take the SAT. Every college accepts ACT or SAT or both. You're only required to take one of the tests. SAT is just the more common one. Also easier than the ACT imo

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Next step: learning bed.

pomp-and-circuitry-03.jpg

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Yeah I understand the value in teaching kids how to learn themselves and reflect on what they've learnt but it sounds like the school was overusing this method and basically giving the teachers an easy time. A balance is needed really.
A LOT of people did complain about how long assignments took and how much work all of the courses were prior to today's change.

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
A LOT of people did complain about how long and how much work all of the courses were prior to today's change.
Yeah sounds like they had a whole reconstruction and might have gone too far the other way. Just see how it goes and you've only got a short time before you leave anyway so maybe use this change as an example of how you want to continue your method of learning afterwards.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a weird experimental school. I don't think I'd do well--having a good teacher craft the lessons helps engage me with the subject. I was lazy as hell in high school too.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Sounds like a weird experimental school. I don't think I'd do well--having a good teacher craft the lessons helps engage me with the subject. I was lazy as hell in high school too.
It's our third year as a school. First year we used a system called EdivateLearn, second year we added Canvas/Instructure, a proprietary service, Edivate, "Facetime" classes (classes you are required to do physically like P.E. which is in a fitness room with things like weights, treadmills, bikes, etc.) mixed together. This year we completely got rid of Edivate and the proprietary service and completely switched to Canvas. Facetime classes still exist but work for those classes are now submitted through Canvas.

For roll in the first two years, we got an ID card and every classroom had a card slider at the entrance of classroom and you had to slide your card 15 minutes before every class. In the current year, they got rid of that and now we just have one scanner (that's automatically always on) like the ones you see at grocery store but mounted on the wall, at the school entrance and that keeps you present all day.

So yeah, a lot of change has happened. But the change in the OP is the most dramatic change by far because it completely changed curriculum.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
My siblings had school on MLK day.

But that school sounds odd. Some decent ideas, but some bad ideas too. Sounds like a mess overall.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
It's our third year as a school. First year we used a system called EdivateLearn, second year we added Canvas/Instructure, a proprietary service, Edivate, "Facetime" classes (classes you are required to do physically like P.E. which is in a fitness room with things like weights, treadmills, bikes, etc.) mixed together. This year we completely got rid of Edivate and the proprietary service and completely switched to Canvas. Facetime classes still exist but work for those classes are now submitted through Canvas.

For roll in the first two years, we got an ID card and every classroom had a card slider at the entrance of classroom and you had to slide your card 15 minutes before every class. In the current year, they got rid of that and now we just have one scanner (that's automatically always on) like the ones you see at grocery store but mounted on the wall, at the school entrance and that keeps you present all day.

So yeah, a lot of change has happened. But the change in the OP is the most dramatic change by far because it completely changed curriculum.
Seems like they are still trying to work out the kinks.