• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I recently upgraded my TV from a 46" Sharp Aquos that I purchased in 2003, to a 75" Vizio P series that supports 4K and HDR and all that jazz.

In 2015, I purchased an audio receiver for my home theatre (Marantz NR-1605) that, at the time, was top of the line and supported 4K content with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 1.4.

But, in the year since, they updated the HDMI Standard to 2.0a and HDCP 2.2, thus causing HDR and UHD content to not be compatible with my receiver.

Ok, so a TV upgrade turned into an AVR update as well.. I was prepared for that eventuality and ate the cost of upgrading to the Marantz NR-1607. Same form factor, different internals, fits nicely in my home theatre rack.

So, in between this, I've updated my PS4 to a PS4 Pro.

I get the new receiver and hook it all up, and voila, the TV supports HDR, the PS4 Pro recognizes it, and everything is peachy keen....

... Not.

Almost immediately, my tv screen starts flickering. There's random signal drops and 'snow' showing up.. Turns out it's the HDMI cable not having enough bandwidth... I knew there would be the potential for my cable not supporting HDCP 2.2, but I figured it was 'new' enough to have enough bandwidth to handle the full range required by 4K HDR.

But, alas, it was not. So then I switched the cable exiting the reciever to the cable supplied with the launch day Xbox One -- they say "high bandwidth" directly on them, but even they had incremental dropouts. Anecdotal online reports said they'd work for 4K content, to which I had assumed that meant HDR as well.

I was wrong. Through my testing, yes, it handles 4K games no problem, but the moment I attempt HDR, the dropouts occur again.

So now, I've ordered 21GBPS cables that are rated for HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, 4K and HDR with full ethernet communication and every bell and whistle thrown in to it.

They should arrive by Friday. I never bought into the whole 'premium HDMI' cable thing, since I guess I've never had a device that required it.. but holy hell the jump to 4K HDR has been incredibly annoying/costly.

tl;dr:

The 4K HDR connections between PS4 Pro, my AVR, and my TV require a top of the line high bandwidth cable that supports all the latest HDCP requirements, and the journey to get there has been full of very annoying trial and error.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Your issues are literally nothing to do with HDCP, they're entirely bandwidth related. HDR simply requires bandwidth at the top end of the spec, and there are a lot of shit HDMI cables out there.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
I bought this very useful gadget called HD Fury AVR Key. What it does is splitting one 4K HDMI source into two HDMI outputs, one 4K video that went to my TV, and one HDMI audio output to my HDCP 1.4 compliant receiver. This should solve your problem.

123rl

Oct 28, 2017
I had similar issues. I thought I had 4k-capable hdmi cables. My avr is fully compliant and I just bought a new tv. As soon as I attempted hdr, I lost the image altogether. I had to replace my cables with 4k hdr high speed cables, which worked immediately. Amazon UK had them for £6 so I can't complain

Trying to set up 4k hdr was a total shit show though. Every source had its own issues but I got there eventually. Also, the tv has it disabled by default and I had to enable it. Wtf is that even a thing? Who is buying a hdr tv and going out of their way to actively not use it?

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
A big frustration for me is that HDMI cables don't have their bandwidth printed on the cable itself. They'll often just say "high speed", which could refer to 10.2 Gbps or 18 Gbps.

So, I have a stock of hdmi cables, but when I set up a new device, I just have to guess which ones may have the bandwidth I need.

As far as receiver limitations, I got a Monoprice Blackbird Pro switch, so I can bypass my receiver, which doesn't support 4k, for video. My UHD Blu-ray player has a second audio out hdmi to send to the receiver and I just use optical for the PS4 Pro. Even though I have two hdmi ports that support 4K/HDR, I have to use one for ARC, so I needed the switch to get the two 4k devices in the one port left. Yeah, it's a cluster, but saved me a few hundred on a new receiver.

EngenZerO

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, this reminds of the time when I was working with my installer to figure out how to run 4K @ 60hz at 4:4:4 to get 4K UHD to my TV in our distributed setup (100ft+). 4K Baluns didn't quite cut it. I ended up coming up with one solution at that time a Celerity DFO Cable which set me back $$$! It was worth it to get that IQ!

Meicyn

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Haha, this reminds me of my own experience. Bought a new 4K HDR HDTV, receiver was too old to support HDR so I had to upgrade to a better Denon, only to find out that my cables weren't good enough either.

It was worth it in the end, but yeah... so much for just buying the HDTV.