• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
I'm talking about people who, if they see someone in a car, they immediately just sit there and signal, no fucks given.

It's fucking annoying, and honestly inconsiderate IMO.

Parking in university always stressed me the fuck out. Sometimes I'd have a long gap and I just wanted to have a little break in my car. 9 times out of 10 I'd get people in their car signaling and standing there until they figure out that I'm not leaving, instead of maybe driving around for probably not even a minute.

And when I finished class during a time where it's kinda busy, I would always dread going to the parking lot because that meant people following me to my car (coming up to me and asking me if I need a ride to my car, for instance) or people watching me like a hawk. I'd hurry tf up and immediately get out just so those people don't wait. Like yeah, you could say "maybe don't chill in your car" but why? I mean I've NEVER sat there and signaled waiting for a parking spot. I'll drive around and look for an open spot. If it's kind of far, oh well. I wouldn't want to rush people or make them uncomfortable, and while a lot of the time there's wiggle room for cars behind, it's still annoying, especially if the car in front kind of abruptly stops.

And a lot of times, the people who do this, will do this even if there's other parking spaces very close by. They just don't want to walk more than 3 feet.

There's a street near where I live that's super crowded and someone ALWAYS signals and waits for a car to leave the spot and then slowly parallel park into the spot, and everyone behind them has to wait an eternity for this process to finish because there's never any wiggle room, when there's plenty of fucking space to park like 30 feet away.

Like I'm just tired of it. But maybe I'm in the minority and being ridiculous but UGHHHH like in my mind basically people don't wanna walk even a little. Who else agrees???

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
How do you know they havent asked the driver that they're leaving?

It would be poor if they didnt indicate and just stood there. But if they're indicating, I think that's fine.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Yup, should be illegal. Puts unnecessary pressure on the person in the parking space as well who now needs to leave as quick as possible.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I never understood the people who circle around forever waiting to get a close spot. Just take a spot further away and walk the extra 30 seconds.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Doesn't bother me. Can't control what others do, or how they act, so I don't let the little things bother me. This might have bothered me in my younger days.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Try going to places with super limited parking. This is the only way to get a space.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Stop giving a shit. They wanna indicate and wait let them. Feel pressured? I finished a phone conversation in my car when someone was waiting for me to leave my spot. Fuck em. I don't exist for them. Most times I'll go normal pace and leave the spot but never rush. If they don't like it they'll move on.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
I don't mind it if there's room to drive around them, but it's pretty disrespectful during peak hour shopping when both lanes are operating at full capacity.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah what kind of a psychopath sees someone hop into a car in a full parking lot and decides to signal and wait for them to leave the parking spot?

Why is sitting in your car between classes a remotely appealing idea? Does your campus not have places to hang out?

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
How do you know they havent asked the driver that they're leaving?

It would be poor if they didnt indicate and just stood there. But if they're indicating, I think that's fine.
Completely agree. I see this all the time at Costco, the mall, and holiday shopping season and it's honestly better than seeing a car just sit there and you stuck behind them wondering wtf is going on.

Me as a drive, I feel no pressure to hurry up if someone signals for my spot. If they want it, they need to wait till I get out of the spot. I'm not risking mine or my kids safety cause someone signaled they want to take my parking once I move.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This has definitely happened to me before when I was instead talking on the phone. Or napping on a break from work. I don't move either. Unless I'm breaking a rule I don't know about for coming back to use my phone in my car.

Oct 25, 2017
Most times I see this happen thats like the only way you'd get an actually be able to get a parking spot because the lot is so full.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah what kind of a psychopath sees someone hop into a car in a full parking lot and decides to signal and wait for them to leave the parking spot?

Why is sitting in your car between classes a remotely appealing idea? Does your campus not have places to hang out?

It does! But sometimes I want my alone time, and sometimes I wanted some short (useless) naps. I have also never done this when the parking lot is super busy and full.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
The only time this really bothers me is when someone is hogging up the entire section and you can't get around when the other person in the spot is still packing their car up with groceries.

At my college, parking was so hard to find that people would stalk you in their cars by following you back to your spot and take it. It was creepy as hell unless they asked first. I had to wave a few people down to tell them not to waste their time since I wasn't leaving anytime soon.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
OP, I thought you were talking about someone in the car waiting for a spot to open, and causing people behind them to get stuck. That's certainly annoying too.

But yeah, someone creeping for a spot and expecting you to be on their schedule to leave the spot when you just got into the car? Yeah annoying.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
I'm the opposite, if its super busy at a store/grocery store, get in your car and gtfo.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Only time I do this is if I'm in a situation where there's pretty much no parking whatsoever and you're the Lucky Joe I spot getting into their car.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Nah you're wrong OP. This is exactly what you're supposed to do if you see someone coming out in a busy car park. What do you want them to do? Just drive on and be "Oh well" and have to wait until they can find an already empty spot whilst someone else comes along and takes the one they already found?

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There have been times in my life where I have sat in my car for whatever reason and I can sense people watching my every movement like a cobra readying to strike. I just ignore them. There's no rule in society that says I'm not allowed to give people false hope of a parking space. If they want to make assumptions, that's their lookout.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread would have been a whole lot cooler if you had the gumption to confront a driver doing this, OP.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
If it's a very busy car park then you should leave the car park at your earliest convenience

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
You can just drive around them? Some places like busy parking lots (Costco, malls on holidays, etc) require you to do this, otherwise you'll never find a parking spot.

killdatninja

Oct 26, 2017
I've never seen this scenario happen on a not-full parking lot, very rare for someone to wait for me unless I have a really good spot near the front of the building/event. Even then it doesn't bother me nor do I feel pressured to leave immediately for their convenience. Enjoy your car breaks OP, fuck them if they wait, not your fault they assumed something that wasn't going to happen.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How anyone can be mad at this baffles me. If I'm waiting for a parking spot it's because there aren't any other convenient ones and you look like you're leaving, if you're not, don't. "It puts pressure on the persoin in the car" fucking HOW? if I'm chilling in my car and someone waits for me, that's their problem not mine. If I'm leaving it doesn't change that, if I'm not I get to laugh at them for waiting around. It's usually pretty clear if you're leaving or relaxing.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I completely disagree. I think its far more inconsiderate to occupy a space that others need, there are so many other places where you can go and relax after class. You don't need to do it in a space that others desperately need for convenient access to a building.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Counterpoint: the real villains are the people bullshitting in their cars when there are others who need a parking space.

I completely disagree. I think its far more inconsiderate to occupy a space that others need, there are so many other places where you can go and relax after class. You don't need to do it in a space that others desperately need for convenient access to a building.
Yeah.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't bother me. Can't control what others do, or how they act, so I don't let the little things bother me. This might have bothered me in my younger days.
Yep. As I've gotten older I've stopped being annoyed by this stuff. When I was younger I was a nutcase when it came to driving. Now I need to tell my wife to calm down and chillax while driving.

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
If it's done in under a minute I don't mind. Any longer and I might give them a beep.

Canuckreefer

Banned
Oct 10, 2019
Yeah not cool on OP's opinion on this
Going to University Id park in a parking lot to take the train
If you wasn't there at least at 6am you was shit out of luck and would have to look for a parking spot and wait if needed
Plus if they see you in their car and wait well that's on them if you're not leaving lol and they will lose on a spot.

I still remember this white girl calling me The N word with an hard R because she was tight that I took a spot and her reasoning was that she was there before me for like 30 mins(I didn't steal a spot I just happened to see one guy get in a car and leave) like she literally came near me and said she waited for 30 mins looking around and told me she had an exam( In September first day of university) I told her I'm sorry but I got school too(I didn't believe her) so she yelled it and drove super fast and hit a car tried to back up and rammed into a moving car in the parking lot.
I just casually sat on my car and observed her dealing with the person who she rammed into and I was laughing at her dumb ass the entire time. She left without leaving a note on the parked car she hit so I left my number for the person and sent her a picture of her car and license plate.
That was like 4 yrs ago hopefully she got jail time 😂

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the answer is just wave 'em off.

I have a job where I drive a van around and fix machines. I have a lot of spare parts and spare units to help customers who can't go without their machines, so parking as close as I can to the customer is a priority for my safety in terms of lifting and moving said machines. So barring a loading zone, I have to often take a parking spot wherever I can get it.

The correct etiquette for scoping out a park is to sit where the parked driver can leave and traffic can go around you. Having your indicator on displays your intention.

If the parked driver isn't leaving soon then they'll wave me off and I'll look for a new spot. It's not personal, it's just circumstance.

Worst thing are the maniacs who come from the opposite direction and speed into a parking spot that someone is indicating for. Special kinds of dickheads that do that.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Except he is going back into the building later. So he does need it.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Stop giving a shit. They wanna indicate and wait let them. Feel pressured? I finished a phone conversation in my car when someone was waiting for me to leave my spot. Fuck em. I don't exist for them. Most times I'll go normal pace and leave the spot but never rush. If they don't like it they'll move on.
Exactly.
Yuuuuuuuuuuup. Great example. These parking lots are always FULL.

When you are driving around a parking lot and said parking lot is FULL and then you notice somebody potentially leaving. What do you do? Continue to do 360s in the parking lot for a miracle to happen and a couple of cars disappears out of thin air? Or you wait and signal to others "and I found this spot first" so you can park and do the f* you need to do.

OP, it's just that the driver *thinks* you are going to leave. If they start honking, they are fucking retarded assholes not taking the clue that you aren't leaving. We usually do what you describe because there's no other f*ing spot in the parking lot close*ish* where we want to go. Or, if there's no parking *at all* otherwise.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I sorta agree, but honestly I do this as well sometimes, I'm not going to follow people, but if I see them getting in I'll wait a bit as well.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I sorta agree, but honestly I do this as well sometimes, I'm not going to follow people, but if I see them getting in I'll wait a bit as well.

I'll wait maybe twenty seconds but if the lights haven't come on by then, they probably aren't coming on. Better to move on in case you miss a real opening.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Once I had a guy waiting on my spot and I sat there in my car just to spite him. Bullshitted around, made a call, played with the radio. And then when he finally drove a little bit past me, I pulled out and some random pulled right in. Fuck that guy thinking he deserved a spot.