• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
If the driver is signalling they are indicating that they're taking the spot, and the people behind them can pass them and also indicates to anyone coming the other way they're intentions.

I legit have no idea how some people function if this act stresses them out...

Once I had a guy waiting on my spot and I sat there in my car just to spite him. Bullshitted around, made a call, played with the radio. And then when he finally drove a little bit past me, I pulled out and some random pulled right in. Fuck that guy thinking he deserved a spot.

The fuck am I reading?

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
You should legally be able to drive into these people full speed. They hold up parking lots like crazy just so they dont have to walk an extra 20 feet. Drives me fucking nuts.

To be clear, this happens daily at an account I work at. 90% of the lot is empty, they just simply must have the spots right next to the door because reasons.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I don't care if someone is waiting for my spot, but I never do this myself. I'll just park at the far end of the lot and hoof it to my destination.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
What are you supposed to do in a full lot? Let the guy behind you get the spot and circle for a half hour waiting for the magical moment when you're passing right as someone is pulling out of their spot?

Cilla

Oct 29, 2017
Queensland, Australia
This is normal! Especially when it is busy season like Christmas here. I do it too as otherwise you just WILL NOT get a park. Because everyone else is doing this too as there's no free parks. So of course in turn people do it to me and it's fine. But it does suck when they are a bit close to me and it makes it difficult to back out.

Oct 25, 2017
If parking is packed to capacity like at a university or overcrowded mall, it is absolutely normal and acceptable to signal your claim over a spot once someone returns to their car. At my school parking would fill up by 7am. It just becomes a necessity. It's also normal courtesy to shake your head "no" or wave off a following car to let them know you're not leaving if you're headed there for another reason. This is just necessary behavior when there isn't a lot of parking available. It's also pretty normal if a driver just happens to notice you entering your car and your spot is a conveniently close one. Why not? Have some empathy.

It's a little weird when parking isn't crowded though but some people are just lazy. In those cases I just ignore them and take however much time I need to. Or wave them off if I'm not leaving. Personally if there are plenty of spots available I always go for the easiest one and just walk.

I used to take a break between classes in my car and people would follow me for what are obvious understandable reasons. We're all in the same boat together. I'd just wave them off and they'd go on their way to find the next one. Then once I got into my car nobody would really notice me anymore so there'd be nobody waiting. So really the worst inconvenience it became was shaking my head at someone before I sat down. It really wasn't a big deal.

Any sort of pressure you're feeling is ultimately on you. Just wave people off before you sit down and the situation is over. If anyone spots you in your window and decides to wait regardless, just ignore them and they'll work it out on their own. If you're parked head-in you won't see them anyway. If you're facing out just wave them off if you feel obligated, or put up a sun screen.

That post from someone saying this should literally be illegal, and that other post from the guy who for some reason goes out of his way to spite people, both bring a certain david hayter cameo video to mind.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
When people wait in parking garages it drives me nuts. Particularly in ones where you can't drive past them. Unless you need a spot close to the elivator or something just keep driving until you get up to the 4th floor or whatever. Every time this happens there are like 2 mostly empty floors near the top. Instead what it causes is a 10 minute wait for everyone behind you as each person stops and tries to do it.

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
Once I had a guy waiting on my spot and I sat there in my car just to spite him. Bullshitted around, made a call, played with the radio. And then when he finally drove a little bit past me, I pulled out and some random pulled right in. Fuck that guy thinking he deserved a spot.

You are such a rebel. A true antihero.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I will do this if I see someone start to reverse, since I know they are leaving, but unless I'm terribly desperate I'll drive around until I find something. I usually try to avoid going places when they are packed. Something like a peak trader Joe's time makes me want to die

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
pleaseinsertdisctwo I hope you arent just sitting there idling your car. If you are please do not do that, it is terrible for the environment. If you arent, then thats fine, but I dont see why they would think you were going to leave if your car wasnt even on.

Oct 27, 2017
Never seen anyone do it in a lot with a lot of vacancies, only when they're packed, and you can't fault them for that. I do it too. I try to make sure there is space to get around me but if not sorry were all dealing with this problem here. Just a few days ago I was doing it and a car going the other way almost stole it from me but I honked and they fucked off. When the lots packed you gotta be assertive or you'll be looking for a spot forever.

Also all you guys that intentionally waste other people's time by squatting in a spot just to spite people waiting, grow the fuck up.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
pleaseinsertdisctwo I hope you arent just sitting there idling your car. If you are please do not do that, it is terrible for the environment. If you arent, then thats fine, but I dont see why they would think you were going to leave if your car wasnt even on.

I've left it on 2-3 times for around 20 mins because it was super hot and I needed AC. Otherwise anytime I was just relaxing in my car, it was off.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
If it's a super busy lot and parking is limited, I understand and I'll try to get out asap. But if the person is just lazy and waiting for my "good" spot while plenty of other spots are open, I'll take my fucking time.

Oct 25, 2017
I was a commuter in college and our parking lots were a god damn warzone at times.

Waiting for people was just part of finding a spot.

Nov 2, 2017
This happens in my school a lot, parking is very cutthroat here. I'll always give the "no" wave if I catch a car following me so they know not to wait for me to leave since I won't be.

Wreck We Em

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Fam you're an actual sociopath

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
Just wave them off. Or if you hate the aneixty of having to dismiss someone then find somewhere else to relax.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you OP. I especially love it when there's a flood of spaces open like 50 feet from where they're waiting, and the sheer inconvenience of walking 50 feet is worth waiting 2 or 3 minutes for a space to open up a little closer.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I always park far away from the store anyways, for a few reasons. One it's easier to pull in and eventually pull out and leave, and two so I don't get my Mustang dinged up(or in the event of me driving my truck so I don't ding any other car up). I have no problem walking, walking is good for you. Let all the other people tussle and fight over the close spots because they can't be bothered to walk, I'll be enjoying my peace of mind parking way out and walking in, it's really no biggie the merchandise in the store ain't going anywhere.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
If parking is tight then this is literally the only way to get a spot.

Have you been to any completely full parking lots, OP? They're complete nightmares.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
What I hate is when people waiting for another car to pull out of a parking space block me from driving out of my own space.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
You have two options.
1. Go around me
2. Wait behind me.

Either way it's your problem. Not mine.

God, I'm such a dick. 😈

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
My said she was out with her parents shopping. They went to the car to sit down for a bit, before heading to a different store. Someone stopped and turned on their signal waiting for them to leave, when they didn't he came up to the car to curse them out. Like what.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Yeah college campuses are definitely an okay time to signal, or a busy mall. OP, if you want a short time to have alone in your car, then "just go to another spot" and do that.

University campuses are notoriously difficult to find parking on, and not to mention parking permits are regularly $200-300 at a four year university for two semesters. I agree you should have sometime to situate yourself before you leave, but sitting in your car in a near full parking lot without waving them or telling them "sorry I'm not leaving" is pretty inconsiderate.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
What is with this topic?

I live in LA and the parking situation is generally hot holy hell, but waiting for spots is necessary for parking lots to function.

If someone is waiting in front of you and the person in the car doesn't seem ready, just drive around.

If you're in your car and someone is waiting for your spot, either courteously get a move on, or wave them off if you're not about to leave.

It isn't hard.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Agreed. Hate it when I've got someone in the back and I'm tonguing their ass and some asshole sees movement so they just stop and wait and you can never tell if they're just waiting for the spot or getting their freak on to it y'know.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Like seriously, get the fuck in your car and LEAVE. Like, I'll give you some wiggle room to pick your Spotify playlist or whatever but if you don't get out within 30 seconds you are a literal human piece of shit and I hate you. Like, you do not belong behind the wheel and I would take away your license if I could.

GO HANG OUT LITERALLY ANYWHERE ELSE. IF THERE IS A PARKING LOT THERE ARE PROBABLY BENCHES NEARBY, WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU HANGING OUT IN YOUR CAR LIKE A FUCKING DORK!?!?!?!? ARGH!!!!

Yeah, this thread is actively pissing me off, the fact that some of y'all are dickheads and still trying to play the victim is confirming all of my worst fears and assumptions about people who act stupid when they see I am trying to park.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
How do some of you guys function? Unnecessary stress? The amount of time I take in my car should not and does not have anything to do with anybody waiting. If someone is waiting for me, they can continue waiting. If cars follow you as you're walking, simply turn to them and wave your hand. I did this all of the time at uni. It's really not complicated.

Like seriously, get the fuck in your car and LEAVE. Like, I'll give you some wiggle room to pick your Spotify playlist or whatever but if you don't get out within 30 seconds you are a literal human piece of shit and I hate you. Like, you do not belong behind the wheel and I would take away your license if I could.

GO HANG OUT LITERALLY ANYWHERE ELSE. IF THERE IS A PARKING LOT THERE ARE PROBABLY BENCHES NEARBY, WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU HANGING OUT IN YOUR CAR LIKE A FUCKING DORK!?!?!?!? ARGH!!!!

Yeah, this thread is actively pissing me off, the fact that some of y'all are dickheads and still trying to play the victim is confirming all of my worst fears and assumptions about people who act stupid when they see I am trying to park.

^ 30 seconds? fuck off. I will take my usual time. I'm not saying I am going to sit there and dilly dally, but if I need to check something, or set up my GPS, etc, I am going to do it in the comfort of my parked position. It's not my fault you chose to wait for me.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Like you, OP this is a major pet peeve of mine-for decades.

Christiana Mall in Delaware-home of tax free shopping in the Tri-State area. Around Christmastime that parking lot is a battle zone.

A long time ago my friend and I walked out the mall - there was someone in a car waiting for us and proceeded to drive right behind us at the speed we were walking and followed us to my car. Really fucking annoying.

We got in the car,, buckled up. Took our time. Turned on the heater, let the car warm up, etc. Dude stayed there with his blinker on.

This motherfucker had the audacity to HONK at me.

We said fuck it. Unbuckled our seat belts, got out the car and walked right back into the mall.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

giphy.gif

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
If you're fully blocking a roadway, yes it is shitty to do but if there's room to maneuver around you, seems perfectly fine.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
I don't mind that but I fucking hate the people who get the passanger to jump out of the car and run to stand in a parking spot and refuse to move until the person driving the car comes over and parks.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Just wave them off I've done it. I was just going to the car because I forgot something.

I've seen people signal and some asshole comes out of nowhere and takes the spot anyway.

That's worse.

SideMatt

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
is this r/amitheasshole?

have you guys never had to park somewhere with very few spots??

Last edited:

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Yeah, fuck you if you do this. I'll whip out my laptop and watch an episode of SVU and see if your ass doesn't move before the cold open ends.

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is fine and normal. One of those unspoken rules kinda things. Only time I have an issue with it is if the person who is signaling doesn't try and leave space for others to drive by them. Never feel rushed to leave if some one is waiting for you to move out of that space. It would be worse if they just waited without signaling.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
What is wrong with you dudes?

Just shake your head /wave at person to let them know you're not leaving.

You're actually being the inconsiderate one. They've indicated that they're waiting for a spot and assume you're leaving. They're not trying to rush you. But for some of you to spite people who have simply indicated that they're waiting for a parking spot and assume you may be leaving until you let them know otherwise... just simply let them know otherwise. They'll simply move on and look elsewhere.

Some of you dudes have a serious lack of social etiquette.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
This is common practice around here, especially when it's peak period and 98% if the carpark is full. How wlse are you meant get a spot during those instances?

Can't you people be normal for once?

Dankul

Nov 14, 2017
Back when I was in community college over a decade ago, I use to ask people walking into the parking lot if they were leaving and give them a ride to their cars. Was offered the same several times too.