• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are in the minority and are being ridiculous.

Once I had a guy waiting on my spot and I sat there in my car just to spite him. Bullshitted around, made a call, played with the radio. And then when he finally drove a little bit past me, I pulled out and some random pulled right in. Fuck that guy thinking he deserved a spot.

And you think you're the good guy in this situation.

SideMatt

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I completely disagree. I think its far more inconsiderate to occupy a space that others need, there are so many other places where you can go and relax after class. You don't need to do it in a space that others desperately need for convenient access to a building.
Yeah this is such an obvious and known social rule that I don't know how there is an argument here at all.

HiredN00bs

Oct 25, 2017
Laurel, MD
"my convenience is worth ALLLLLLLL these other people's inconvenience"

If the reverse lights aren't on, the spot isn't open. Move along.

This is almost in the same vein as "I've just made an error, so I'm going to impede traffic and risk an accident rather than just eat the mistake and turn around."

King of Cups

Oct 27, 2017
Wow.

Anyway, my own personal rule is that unless I see reverse lights, I will slowly round the entire car park once before assessing that it is mostly full. On my way back round, if I happen to see someone entering their car to leave, then I'll assert myself a bit more and wait nearby for at least 30 seconds with a signal. If it takes too much longer than that, I just assume they're piddling around and move on. I'll usually circle three times before giving up, but I've only had to give up once or twice during a huge event. Spaces are pretty fluid. If I miss out on spots, that's on me for not being in a timely fashion.

It's not that hard, people. Everyone should just be aware of themselves as much as others around. No reason to be all pissy.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Can't you just wave at them that you're not leaving so that they don't have to wait for nothing? I swear, here's people being nice, seeing a soon to be open spot and signalling so the rest of traffic can pass, but nope, "they're being dicks" because you can't just give them a signal that while you're going to your car, you're not actually leaving.

It's really not that hard to be courteous.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stop giving a shit. They wanna indicate and wait let them. Feel pressured? I finished a phone conversation in my car when someone was waiting for me to leave my spot. Fuck em. I don't exist for them. Most times I'll go normal pace and leave the spot but never rush. If they don't like it they'll move on.
I agree with the woolly one.

besides there's a pro tip in there for you OP. Just hold your phone up to your head when you see a lurker. They'll get the hint. Or if they don't, return to step 1, not giving a shit.

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
It's more common that people who enter their car are gonna leave and not sleep. What's the big deal

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is the only way to park in overcrowded parking lots, sometimes. Get over yourself OP.

now, if this were a parking lot with tons of ample parking, then I'd be pissed but university parking lots, movie theaters, and malls during their peak hours tend to have this issue and it's perfectly fine imo for somebody to signal and wait.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I prefer big parking lots, so I can park at the end of it and just walk

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Once I had a guy waiting on my spot and I sat there in my car just to spite him. Bullshitted around, made a call, played with the radio. And then when he finally drove a little bit past me, I pulled out and some random pulled right in. Fuck that guy thinking he deserved a spot.
Some of y'all are some fucking weirdos.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The other day, a car was waiting for me to leave. I hurried up but I still had to put my son in his seat so the car had to wait for an extra couple of minutes. When I finally try to back up, the car moves to let me go and another car that just got there just swoops in and takes the spot. I felt bad for the people in the first car because I know what it's like.

To OP and others who feel the same, what if the people waiting are doing so because they have a young child in the car or some other reason that they need to park ASAP? I once drove around a parking lot for 30 min and had to leave because it was full and no one was leaving. It fucking sucks. I definitely don't blame people for not wanting to take chances, and I do the same, though I try not to put too much pressure on them or block the way for other cars for too long. Just tell them you're not leaving yet, it's not hard.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Why not just think "oh that person could use this spot and I no longer need it. I'll be on my way"? It's not hard to be a litttle considerate and it's not like they're doing anything to you that should make you upset.

It was an important call. I had to take it. Should I drive and fumble with my phone because someone can't be bothered to drive five feet down and park?

Considerate? Sure. Putting a strangers needs ahead of mine? Nope. Doormats are on isle 9.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah, it's perfectly fine, especially if the parking lot is full. Usually I'll roll my window down and politilely ask if the person is going to be leaving or has just parked up, otherwise waiting around too long could be annoying for others.

Ultimately I'd recommend being more compassionate to the needs of others (finding a parking spot is stressful and time consuming in and of itself) or caring less about the pressure of the situation (though honestly, if having someone waiting near them is enough to get them to make a driving error, they probably shouldn't be driving).

I've been on both sides of this scenario and find it perfectly acceptable and normal.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I find people that don't respect those who are signalling and quickly take someone else's spot way way worse. Hating this is like hating people getting in line to enter a restaurant because you're eating.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Why feel pressure at all? Let them wait, and do your thing. If they ask or watch just shake your head. Don't see the problem.

If they see someone going into his car or sitting in a car, who doesn't look like he's just parked, it's not wrong to think that you are maybe leaving.

This reminds me of the thread here where someone had neighbors sitting in their car all day / night in front of his flat....

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Just wave at them to indicate you aren't leaving soon and they'll move on. Not complicated.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I hate people that park next to me when I park in an area with just my car and 20 free spaces.

I watched someone yesterday park between 2 cars and then struggle to get out of the car when they could have parked in the middle of 5 empty bays.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How anyone can be mad at this baffles me. If I'm waiting for a parking spot it's because there aren't any other convenient ones and you look like you're leaving, if you're not, don't. "It puts pressure on the persoin in the car" fucking HOW? if I'm chilling in my car and someone waits for me, that's their problem not mine. If I'm leaving it doesn't change that, if I'm not I get to laugh at them for waiting around. It's usually pretty clear if you're leaving or relaxing.
This forum seems to have become overrun by people complaining about the most basic aspects of everyday life because it triggers their anxiety or whatever. It's honestly gotten quite embarrassing and tiresome.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
This only bugs me when there is other places to park. If it is a full parking lot it's the only way to get a spot so I'm much more understanding. But if they can park elsewhere I resent the pressure to leave ASAP and I'll make sure to not rush.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This forum seems to have become overrun by people complaining about the most basic aspects of everyday life because it triggers their anxiety or whatever. It's honestly gotten quite embarrassing and tiresome.
It's worse because passing thoughts have become threads. Things that most of us may briefly think about are made to be a big deal by virtue of making a thread on this forum and discussing it. What is there to discuss about a person waiting for your parking spot? It gets so tiring on this forum because people insist on debating philosophically about the most mundane aspects of life, and it really makes me feel like I'm losing it sometimes. I don't mind the threads that are fun and made in jest, those are great - but ones like this that require people to have a "serious" discussion over something so mundane and inconsequential makes me feel like I'm in the twilight zone.

Whenever I see threads like this I notice that a lot of people are extremely idealistic and inflexible, to the point where I wonder just how many ever leave the house. It really feels like a bunch of out of touch people debating things with no life experience.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I always park far away for two reasons

1st: I don't want people dinging my cars/fucking my car

2nd: Parking near the entrance is always a clusterfuck of people coming out and in the store, traffic jams and so on.

m23

Oct 25, 2017

For real lol. OP is being a bit ridiculous, as are some of the posters here.

Baphomet

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
You pretty much have to do this when you go to a super packed place , so I've done it *shrug*

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not really, no.

You and people like you are the real problem.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I love the people that will drive around for 10 minutes to avoid walking 90 seconds.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Rather signal and people know you're waiting for a spot than waiting there, no lights, like some kind of ass. Also preferable to the jackasses who pull up next to the entrance and put their flashers on.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Got in my car once in a parking lot and needed to fill out the card I just picked up, oblivious to the rest of the lot. After a few minutes I finished up, started my car and went to pull out to find people were MFing me. I just shrugged and laughed then drove away.

You aren't guaranteed my spot by virtue of my returning to my car. What if I decided to go back in and get something else? What if I had an important phone call I needed to field? What if -plug in any reason here-? Just go find another spot. Jeeze.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
When there isn't room to get around the person waiting, I've seen multicar pileups behind them where everyone is inconvenienced.

Bonus points when because of the multicar pileup, other people who want to leave also can't leave because they can't get out.