• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
In other words, she wasn't a character. What we giving brownie point to movies for things they'll eventually do something with down the line? Should I be applauding the mess that was BvS?

And, what depth did the actual love interest have?

No applause, but there's also nothing wrong with telegraphing a character the way they did, MJ's character had brevity on purpose to set up the reveal, and her character absolutely came through in the brief scenes we saw of her which were there to do exactly that.

And Liz was part of Peter's backstory/teenage world building as much as she needed to be, she's not a main character in PEter's story but part of his coming of age tale, and they did well with the screen time she had. She wasn't presented in a problematic way as a prize, imo, and there's only so much screen time you can give to a side character like that. They did well with the screen time she had.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Ursula was clearly the best anyways. She even went to go give Peter those cookies with nuts in em!

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
God bless. Would you like a glass of milk?

Yes, please along with some cookies and this month's rent.

No applause, but there's also nothing wrong with telegraphing a character the way they did, MJ's character had brevity on purpose to set up the reveal, and her character absolutely came through in the brief scenes we saw of her which were there to do exactly that.

And Liz was part of Peter's backstory/teenage world building as much as she needed to be, she's not a main character in PEter's story but part of his coming of age tale, and they did well with the screen time she had. She wasn't presented in a problematic way as a prize, imo, and there's only so much screen time you can give to a side character like that. They did well with the screen time she had.

His main love interest being a "side character" with absolutely no depth or drive outside of Peter Parker is the problem. She's a nothing character, she's there for Peter to gawk at and try to obtain. That's it. She has no independent agency in the film. People can hate Raimi MJ all they want but she was her own character with her own agency.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I love Spiderman 2, but every time I watch it i feel like it should have ended with Peter accepting that he and Mary Jane were not a good pair and moving on. I think it would have fit the rest of the movie better and like she only left her fiance because "the main character has to get the girl".

So? Why is that a priblem?

Also this ^

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
giphy.gif
I don't think there's a better response than this.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Homecoming is the first good Spider-Man movie
The movie where side characters don't have much purpose in regards to the themes and messages the movie wants to tell? How they exist to move the plot forward or even worse, just exist? MJ doesn't so anything but look cute and say a few lines. Wtf does Ned do for the overall package? Guy gets a lot of screen time but he is just a jokey side-kick who adds no substance.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a sucker for the romance plot in the Raimi films. I think MJ (and Dunst) are fine. Though yes it is disappointing she ends up being a damsel in distress so often.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
]

His main love interest being a "side character" with absolutely no depth or drive outside of Peter Parker is the problem. She's a nothing character, she's there for Peter to gawk at and try to obtain. That's it. She has no independent agency in the film. People can hate Raimi MJ all they want but she was her own character with her own agency.

She was mostly part of the world building, she's also not his main love interest but simply a side-character in his coming of age story. MJ is his main love interest. The film was telegraphing this all the way.

These kinds of characters are perfectly fine and indeed absolutely required for worlds to be fleshed out, and for a side-character she was fleshed out pretty well.

She also had her own agency, she was clearly presented as a capable person who had her own goals and abilities etc... she was absolutely not just there for Peter to gawk at.

May 10, 2018
Rewatched the movies recently and I agree. Outside of J.K Simmons, Willem Dafoe and Alfred Molina, the cast of the Raimi trilogy isn't all that great.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Michelle > Mary Jane, can't wait to see her again

But yea, she sucked hard. One of the parts of the trilogy that aged really badly for me, though even back then it was glaring.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Peter was a creepy stalker and MJ was horrible human being who loved the obsessive attention Raimi's Peter gave her.

Definitely not my favorite part of Raimi's Spider-man.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Damn people take their comics waaaaaay to seriously forget that theres been cheese as far back as the 60's etc, which I assume is what Raimi grew up reading.

Also we just found out in another thread how Videogame Magazines treated female gamers in the early 2000's (which is LESS than 20yrs ago) like as if it was still pre 2000's.

Of course now we may finally get female characters treated right in Homecoming and everything going forward etc, but it took them long enough.

As a side note the Horror/Sci-Fi has been serving up some bad ass female characters for years, the rest need to catch up.

Oct 30, 2017
Spider-Man 3 MJ is the worst incarnation of the character by far. Let's get upset at Peter even though he has no reason to really expect anything for the most part!

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Damn people take their comics waaaaaay to seriously forget that theres been cheese as far back as the 60's etc, which I assume is what Raimi grew up reading.

Also we just found out in another thread how Videogame Magazines treated female gamers in the early 2000's (which is LESS than 20yrs ago) like as if it was still pre 2000's.

Of course now we may finally get female characters treated right in Homecoming and everything going forward etc, butit took them long enough.
How are women characters treated right in Homecoming? Liz is designed to be an object of Peter's affection who isn't anything but that. MJ has no character, she has a personality. Aunt May is treated as Hot Aunt May.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
MJ was fine, but Peter Parker's whining was insufferable, even for Peter Parker.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I would take flawed human being over bland love interest any day of the week. Her trying to recreate the upside down kiss with her new fiance in Spiderman 2 was creepy and amazing.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
How are women characters treated right in Homecoming? Liz is designed to be an object of Peter's affection who isn't anything but that. MJ has no character, she has a personality. Aunt May is trrated as Hot Aunt May.

This isn't true at all.

As reasoned above:

MJ's character had brevity by design as she was being telegraphed. This is a perfectly fine technique, AND her character definitely came through in the brief scenes we saw of her.

Liz was a side-character as part of Peter's coming of age story. She was presented as someone with her own intelligence, agency, and abilities, and it was more like two peoples lives intersecting with our focus on one person than her being an object.

Spidey

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I didn't dislike MJ in these movies but I certainly felt like I always wanted to like her more than I actually did. There wasn't much to her the characterization and I don't think Dunst ever managed to get more from the page in the same way Stone or even Laura Harrier did.

ASM Gwen is the only great love interest in any of these movies though, hopefully Zendaya steps up when she actually becomes one, she felt incredibly one note in Homecoming.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The best part about Homecoming is that Holland is the GOAT Spiderman.

I think Raimi did a better overall movie.

Although that might be me not being able to see a Spiderman movie without Mary Jane, Osborn, JJJ etc.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kirsten Dunst is a good actor but MJ is written extremely shitty in those movies. So was Aunt May and Gwen Stacy.
The only likable females in those movies are Betty and that skinny neighbor girl.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Mary Jane is a pretty awful person in the Raimi trilogy. The shit she does to Jameson's kid in 2 is honestly terrible.
It really is. Her kissing Harry made me so mad. Hell her actions in almost every movie were maddening. She was better in 3 but by then it was too late.

Emm Stone / Gwen Stacy is still the best spidey movie love interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.