• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
She was mostly part of the world building, she's also not his main love interest but simply a side-character in his coming of age story. MJ is his main love interest. The film was telegraphing this all the way.

These kinds of characters are perfectly fine and indeed absolutely required for worlds to be fleshed out, and for a side-character she was fleshed out pretty well.

She also had her own agency, she was clearly presented as a capable person who had her own goals and abilities etc... she was absolutely not just there for Peter to gawk at.

A) A film's purpose is not to world build, it's to develop characters. You can have all the great world building you like, but if your characters and story are lacking then the world building was moot. See the Star Wars Prequels.

B) Liz was absolutely Peter's LI in Homecoming, she's one of his primary motivators for doing things in the film. The end of the movie is him choosing not to dance with her at Homecoming and instead stopping her father and this is seen as a "hard" choice. She is his main love interest in the film, that really ca't be argued.

C) She has no agency. Her "being capable" is not agency. She exists to flirt with Peter, that's it. There's no plotline involving her escaping her abusive father and trying to make it as an actor in the big city while dating a affluent friend from school who has provided her with the first real kind of financial and emotional stability in her life but who she does not truly have the same feeling towards. Liz exists to serve Peter in Homecoming. MJ exists on her own in Raimi.

SpookyLettuce

May 26, 2018
Nah, I liked MJ (esp in 1 and 2 of the Raimi trilogy, and now in the PS4 game) and I think the hate she gets sometimes is overblown. In the Raimi movies, I liked that she had some depth that's completely separate from Peter — like how she grew up in a pretty unhappy household, and how that's contributed to her insecurities, or how she aspires to be an actress.

Her red hair in the first movie was so pretty though. I wish she'd kept it for all of them.

Spider-Man 3 has its problems with the melodrama and stuff but that was kind of an issue for all the characters across the board.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
This isn't true at all.

As reasoned above:

MJ's character had brevity by design as she was being telegraphed. This is a perfectly fine technique, AND her character definitely came through in the brief scenes we saw of her.

Liz was a side-character as part of Peter's coming of age story. She was presented as someone with her own intelligence, agency, and abilities, and it was more like two peoples lives intersecting with our focus on one person than her being an object.
Liz didn't have agency because you only see her when Peter is around. You don't follow her, and her story is dependent on Peter. That's not agency. What does Liz do on screen that shows she has agency? Throws a party where the story centers it around Peter showing up to prove he knows Spider-Man? She is a capable team lead who leans on Peter to win? Does a late night swim at the pool to invite Peter to participate because HE needs to have fun? Tells Peter at the end that he should figure out his shit? She is designed to prop Peter up.

MJ was cute and said lines that resonated with the audience. It isn't fine because then the message of the story weaves through one character, and that makes side characters purely story pushers.

There is a reason why SM1 and 2 are valued so much because Raimi knew side characters need to embody the message he was telling just like Spider-Man. They all had to give up what they wanted the most.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Sometimes I get the feeling that all this worship for Homecomeing has more to do with being a newer movie than with it's own merits.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I did not like Reimi's MJ either. She was a damsel in distress way too many times.

Sometimes I get the feeling that all this worship for Homecomeing has more to do with being a newer movie than with it's own merits.
Sometimes I get the feeling that all the worship for Spiderman 2 has more to with rose tinted glasses.

And I really like Spiderman 2...

Dec 22, 2017
How are women characters treated right in Homecoming? Liz is designed to be an object of Peter's affection who isn't anything but that. MJ has no character, she has a personality. Aunt May is treated as Hot Aunt May.

This is a really good point. Hot Aunt May was an especially weird direction. She is constantly objectified throughout the movie.

I love Tom Holland as Spiderman, and enjoyed Homecoming, but a lot of the 80's teen romance tropes the movie borrowed are not exactly forward thinking.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
It has a lot to do with the movie itself being pretty solid, having a good cast, a good villain, and also being the only good Spider-Man movie in the last 14 years.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My problem isn't with her as much as it is Peter. He's such a cuckold it seems. I say that knowing full-well my big issue with Toby as Peter, but I digress.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's impossible to create a less likable female lead.

Let's forget that she fucks Harry, Peter, some astronaut guy, Peter, Harry and Peter again, her simple existence makes the movies worse, because of the forced melodrama.
Here's a defense of Mary-Jane in the Raimi films (and discusses other things, like toxic masculinity), might be worth a read:
https://www.themarysue.com/spider-man-trilogy-gender-roles/
That real woman is one of the most flawed in the entire world of comic book movies, incidentally. She cheats on people, she ditches John Jameson at the altar, she's insecure, she's petty, she's closed-off and she's really messed up. Her home abuse has followed her around to the point where she can't even read a mildly critical review of her acting without getting depressed and angry.
MJ fights frantically to be seen as someone above her "station" and desperately jumps around from relationship to relationship. She's a complicated character, all right, but the movies never treat her, her motivations, or her dreams, with anything other than respect.
Well, that's what emotional abuse can do to you: completely destroy your sense of self and your ability to handle criticism. There's another (sadly deleted, but it shows up in Spider-Man 2.1) scene in the trilogy that demonstrates how absolutely soul-destroying MJ's home life was, too, where she says, "John loves me. My father used to say, 'You'll never be worth anything. No man will ever want you.'"
I think it's fine that she's not always likable. Is likability a necessary trait for good or interesting characters?

Last edited:

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder everyone:

MJ in Homecoming is not Mary Jane Watson, she's a different character created for the movie and her real name is Michelle Jones. I kinda wish that they just went full on an just called her Mary Jane but eh not much we can do now.

Homecoming was so refreshing, because it ditched bad romance almost entirely.

Homecoming is also the first Spider-Man movie where the final battle didn't involve Peter having to rush off to save his girlfriend. That should be applauded given how Raimi's pretty much did that with all the female characters in his movies. The women in his movies only exist to either be saved or as a reward for the hero.

In other words, she wasn't a character. What we giving brownie point to movies for things they'll eventually do something with down the line? Should I be applauding the mess that was BvS?

And, what depth did the actual love interest have?

I have recently rewatched the movie and Michelle does has a lot of depth;
  • She's an outcast,
  • She's a bookworm,
  • Puts on a shield of a jokester to mask her loneliness,
  • Is very smart,
  • Has a crush on Peter but doesn't know how to tell him,
  • This is my theory but I suspect that she knows that Peter is Spider-Man given that she knew that Peter was in the marching band and robotic club and dropped out, she also hangs very closely to Peter.
This is obviously going to be explored in future Spider-Man movies as Homecoming exist to set the stage and the universe that MCU Spider-Man operate in. Even the Raimi's Spider-Man movies did this as Peter didn't get the girl in Spider-Man 1 and their relationship would be explored, albeit badly, in 2 and 3.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
A) A film's purpose is not to world build, it's to develop characters. You can have all the great world building you like, but if your characters and story are lacking then the world building was moot. See the Star Wars Prequels.

This is a ridiculous comment. Part of a film's purpose is absolutely to world build, I honestly don't know how to respond to this. Come on....

Not every character can be a main character.

B) Liz was absolutely Peter's LI in Homecoming, she's one of his primary motivators for doing things in the film. The end of the movie is him choosing not to dance with her at Homecoming and instead stopping her father and this is seen as a "hard" choice. She is his main love interest in the film, that really ca't be argued.

She was his love interest in that film yes, but the film clearly showed her as a character intersecting and moving through Peter's coming of age story.

Again, characters like this are perfectly fine and indeed required.

C) She has no agency. Her "being capable" is not agency. She exists to flirt with Peter, that's it. There's no plotline involving her escaping her abusive father and trying to make it as an actor in the big city while dating a affluent friend from school who has provided her with the first real kind of financial and emotional stability in her life but who she does not truly have the same feeling towards. Liz exists to serve Peter in Homecoming. MJ exists on her own in Raimi.

She had enough agency on show for a side-character, she is shown as able, determined, interested. She was head of the group preparing the Homecoming dance, leader of the Decathlon team, someone who would call Peter on his shit due to her principles, etc...

If you're going to hold up Liz and Rami's MJ and compare them without context, sure, otherwise no.

she was not intended to be as much of a focus as MJ from Rami's films. MJ in Rami spanned all 3 movies, Liz is a side-character in the first MCU SM. Obviously MJ was more fleshed out, that doesn't mean Liz was a poor side-character.

Liz didn't have agency because you only see her when Peter is around. You don't follow her, and her story is dependent on Peter. That's not agency. What does Liz do on screen that shows she has agency? Throws a party where the story centers it around Peter showing up to prove he knows Spider-Man? She is a capable team lead who leans on Peter to win? Does a late night swim at the pool to invite Peter to participate because HE needs to have fun? Tells Peter at the end that he should figure out his shit? She is designed to prop Peter up.

MJ was cute and said lines that resonated with the audience. It isn't fine because then the message of the story weaves through one character, and that makes side characters purely story pushers.

There is a reason why SM1 and 2 are valued so much because Raimi knew side characters need to embody the message he was telling just like Spider-Man. They all had to give up what they wanted the most.

Her only being seen when Peter is around doest mean she didn't have agency. She was not a main-character, and that's actually okay.

Agency reasoned above.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everything about MJ in SM2 revolves around Peter. She doesn't stand on her own, which is why she sucks in that film. And I liked MJ in the first film.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Kirsten Dunst has always been my celebrity crush so... I disagree, OP. Yes I can be that biased hah.But I cannot deny the cliche of rescuing her on the three damn movies. Haven't seen the Spidey movies that came after Saimi's trilogy.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
MJ in Homecoming is not Mary Jane Watson, she's a different character created for the movie and her real name is Michelle Jones. I kinda wish that they just went full on an just called her Mary Jane but eh not much we can do now.

She's the MCU's take on her, she ain't gonna get suddenly replaced by the "real MJ" lol.

are you acting like the bad MCU don't get incessantly shit on?

He even participated in a thread that did exactly that a few hours ago lmao

Imagine if someone said people only liked the first two movies because of nostalgia, so dumb lol

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
I never cease to be amazed at the insane amount of nostalgia for the Raimi Spider-Man films. As someone who adored them when they came out and watched them over and over, they really haven't aged well.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're still propped up as the only ones that can make a good superhero movie these days.

You know, except for the super popular Deadpool movies and Logan and Days Of Future Past and Wonder Woman.
It's not movie goers fault that DC and Fox have been shitting the bed these last few years.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're still propped up as the only ones that can make a good superhero movie these days.

is that wrong? they've still had some clunkers and those clunkers still get incessantly shit on. Thor 2 is a meme for a reason. claiming that people think "any film with that logo is a masterpiece" is just dumb

He even participated in a thread that did exactly that a few hours ago lmao

lol, of course

Only Disney can make great movies. WBs, and Sony should give them all the superhero ips. Otherwise we won't get quality films like Dr strange.

well that was constructive

Oct 25, 2017
is that wrong? they've still had some clunkers and those clunkers still get incessantly shit on. Thor 2 is a meme for a reason. claiming that people think "any film with that logo is a masterpiece" is just dumb

lol, of course

well that was constructive
Thor 2 isn't even remotely close to being the worse MCU entry which is why I hate that dumb meme.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

Possibly but I'm sure there's certainly a extra reason why we keep getting "old movie x is bad despite being critically aclaimed at the time" threads about Spiderman 2 more than anything else.

Stupid is still a nicer characteristic than bitch in my book.

Hmmmmm....

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I don't like her either due to how she's utilized in those films, but you should really reflect on why her being with multiple guys bothers you, OP.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
What a bad take.

"She sucks because she fucks people and those people care about her!"

Would she be better if she only fucked one person and no one cared about her?

I mean, the writing is certainly hammy, corny, and at times downright laughable...but your areas of critique are pretty absurd to me.

SpookyLettuce

May 26, 2018
Let's forget that she fucks Harry, Peter, some astronaut guy, Peter, Harry and Peter again, her simple existence makes the movies worse, because of the forced melodrama.

Why do you hate MJ for dating guys? Her thing with Harry is a dick move on Harry's part more than anything imo, since he knows Peter likes her too but just goes for it anyway. And MJ gets understandably frustrated with Peter in SM2, because he told her he didn't return her feelings at the end of SM1, after which she tried to move on with astronaut dude, only to have Peter keep trying to get close/pushing her away in 2.

SpiderMan 2 >>>> Homecoming. MJ was fine in those movies.

Yeah this. I've been rewatching stuff from the Raimi films while playing through the PS4 game, and Spider-Man 2 is still so fucking good. Homecoming's fun but the whole double life thing never seems to have lasting consequences for Peter, compared to stuff like the party scene in 2 where all of Peter's problems come to a head.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think she's a good character but that she would be written differently in 2018. The first movie was made in 2001. Things have changed quite a bit when it comes to romance in film.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Her only being seen when Peter is around doest mean she didn't have agency. She was not a main-character, and that's actually okay.

Agency reasoned above.
That doesn't mean she has agency. Her being leader of the decathalon doesn't meam she has agency in this movie. Her entire purpose is to move Peter along. Background noise isn't agency. You get agency by demonstrating it within the frames you see. How they did it in Homecoming doesn't work.

It isn't OK. It just an excuse for a bad character.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't mean she has agency. Her being leader of the decathalon doesn't meam she has agency in this movie. Her entire purpose is to move Peter along. Background noise isn't agency. You get agency by demonstrating it within the frames you see. How they did it in Homecoming doesn't work.

It isn't OK. It just an excuse for a bad character.

Yes it does, and she demonstrated her agency within the frames we saw.

Films require characters like these, her being a side-character and not being involved in Peter's main story thread does not make her a bad character.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Funny, I was just watching this video critique of the Raimi films and it was also shitting on MJ as a terrible person.

Status
Not open for further replies.