• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
UPDATE: I was wrong. I hate them too.

1MFdivu.png

"I hate Sonic's friends"

Do people really even know what they're talking about when they say things like this?

Kd4CMse.png

With the announcement of Sonic Mania Plus, it was revealed that Mighty and Ray would be returning. I don't personally care for these characters but it's nice to see them come back. With this, of course, came some really bad takes.

ur15RqA.png

I just have to ask why? If this were a 2D Mario announcing playable Waluigi DLC or something I imagine you would not get this kind of reaction at all.

Sonic 3&K was the first in the franchise to feature multiple playable characters, each with their own abilities that allowed the player to experience stages in entirely new ways. It was pretty great stuff and this approach was continued in the Advance & Rush games and Mania. However, when the franchise moved to 3D, games like Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 opted to give each character had their own unique gameplay type (such as mech shooting, treasure hunting and... fishing). I can tell you for a fact that this is where the disdain for Sonic's friends started.

You dislike these characters because you associate them with dumb forced gimmicks shoehorned into the 3D games, right? Like, if SEGA continued with the Sonic 3&K/Advance/Rush/Mania approach (where every character controls the same and follows the same gameplay objective but with their own abilities), I imagine people wouldn't care so much.

If this is why you dislike Sonic's side-characters, then I've got news for you. You don't hate Sonic's "sh*tty friends", you hate stupid gimmicky alternate gameplay styles shoehorned into a platformer game.

When you look at these actual characters... like, they aren't even bad lol.

I genuinely believe that this is one of the ways the Sonic franchise is ahead of Mario even. Sonic has way more non-male characters than the Mario franchise and Sonic's characters are actually interesting. Like, you've got Rouge who's this cool treasure hunter, Blaze who's basically like a princess from an alternate dimension with badass fire powers, Cream is like this innocent child who is incredibly OP in the Advance games and, say what you will about Amy, but they have been taking steps towards improving her as a character (I've heard she's good in the Sonic Boom cartoon series).

It's probably time we ended this whole "Sonic's Sh*tty Friends" thing.

EDIT 1: Okay in reading some of the responses, I've slowly realised that, yeah, okay

most of Sonic's friends are pretty obnoxious.

I don't think they should be in everything and their appearances should be limited but I still maintain that they get a lot of unfair hate.

Like, genuinely, they should only appear in a game if they have a reason to be there. Silver had no reason being in Forces and it just brought up so many questions in the process.

EDIT 2: Been thinking about it even more and decided that the title of this thread isn't true. I don't think you should be forced to love these characters; I can think of plenty of good reasons to hate them that have nothing to do with gameplay. If these characters are ever made playable again and you're forced to play as a character you don't really care for, then by all means, go ahead and hate them.

Last edited:

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
I just didn't like having to play as them, rather than them just existing within the universe.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I'm not of the "all of them are shitty friends" mindset, but I still think a good number of them are annoying and have terrible designs.

The Deadly Six are also incredibly awful.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
It would probably help if 75% of them didn't just look like Sonic with a change in hairstyle and color scheme.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand this either. I really like Shadow, Amy and most of Sonic Friends. Maybe because I grew up with Sonic X but I always liked them in the games.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
People don't hate Sonic, Knuckles, or Tails or anything. Because they make sense. They go well with the artstyle, and gameplay of the series.

MintyMisguidedAlbertosaurus-size_restricted.gif

It's bloat like this ^^^^^^ that needs to end. This is Sonics OG shitty friend. And it needs to be burned.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really like Silver/Blaze/Shadow/Rouge/Omega/Espio and Amy is good when shes not a sonic yandere.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Most of them are either awfully designed, have a really annoying personality or starred in their own abysmal games.
Rouge is like the waifu of every edgy 10 year old.
Rose is just ugh.
I don't have to say much about Shadow.
Big the Cat? Yeah...

I'll just stop here and say Knuckles is the only one of those that doesn't look like he's from deviantart or just just annoying as hell.
Tails is just there but at least not offensive.

Silver is...ok I guess?

It really boils down to them all being Waluigi tier or worse. Except liking Waluigi is a nice meme so...

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Some are good, some are okay, some are shitty, that's just kinda how it goes.

Shame on that tweet though, slamming the biggest comeback in Sonic side character history.

Tracker_TD

Oct 25, 2017
While I agree that blanket takes like Dan's are pretty dense, I'm pretty sure the issue with the likes of Charmy the Bee isn't that they're playable - because hell, Charmy's basically the only way to enjoy Chaotix. He's just so annoying. In the same way Shadow's shtick ran dry about 15 years ago. It's responding to blanket statements with an equally daft blanket statement.

Oct 27, 2017
People don't hate Sonic, Knuckles, or Tails or anything. Because they make sense. They go well with the artstyle, and gameplay of the series.

It's bloat like this ^^^^^^ that needs to end. This is Sonics OG shitty friend. And it needs to be burned.

I actually hate Knuckles in terms of gameplay. He is awkward as shit to control. 25 or whatever years later and I still can't control that fuck

Oct 28, 2017
I like Sonic's friends but I know some of them have no reason to show up like Silver or Blaze unless they're filling the roster of a spin-off.

The Chaotix are the best and Big the cat is fine too since he adds some visual variety.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

MintyMisguidedAlbertosaurus-size_restricted.gif

Whoa man. Sonic's friends might be mostly shitty but leave Big the Cat out of this!

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you're proving what you want to prove.

Yes, a lot of people do hate them because of their gameplay. That's not really a point of contention. But they also don't like them character wise. Like what does Silver add, from your picture? I'd wager most people who don't like the supporting case don't know who the fuck Blaze or Cream even are. You're too close to things. They don't translate most of your characteristics to all but the most hardcore.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Just looking at any of them in marketing material for a game gives me that strong "shovelware" feel. They're awful.

Waluigi, for as lazy as that whole concept is, is a meme. People have fun with him in their own way. Every other Mario character has way more charm and identity. They seem like things that belong.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your argument fell apart the moment you mentioned it being like putting Waluigi in a Mario game. I hate Waluigi and I hate Sonic's shitty friends.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
I hate them because they all fucking suck. Waluigi has the benefit of Nintendo charm. Something Sonic characters are devoid of.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Whoa man. Sonic's friends might be mostly shitty but leave Big the Cat out of this!
Nobody should leave Big the Cat out of anything. That abomination doesn't deserve it.
Just looking at any of them in marketing material for a game gives me that strong "shovelware" feel. They're awful.

Waluigi, for as lazy as that whole concept is, is a meme. People have fun with him in their own way. Every other Mario character has way more charm and identity. They seem like things that belong.
Except Daisy. Daisy can fuck off.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I mean, op, you'retechnically right but, when shitty gameplay and forcing sonic friends into a game go pretty much hand in hand, i think you're kind of splitting hairs.

Still, you're right, i am indifferent to the characters moreso, i hate the gameplay

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The two OGs are ok:
SonicMania.gif

But the sonic & friends got so out of hand so quickly, crossing into the point where it was parody level with none of the self awareness. This sums it up well:

Most of them are either awfully designed, have a really annoying personality or starred in their own abysmal games.
Rouge is like the waifu of every edgy 10 year old.
Rose is just ugh.
I don't have to say much about Shadow.
Big the Cat? Yeah...

I'll just stop here and say Knuckles is the only one of those that doesn't look like he's from deviantart or just just annoying as hell.
Tails is just there but at least not offensive.

Silver is...ok I guess?

It really boils down to them all being Waluigi tier or worse. Except liking Waluigi is a nice meme so...

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Mario's friends are all charming, iconic and quirky, and many have gone to star in their own games.

Can't say that about most of Sonic's supporting cast in the least bit.

Scoops

Oct 27, 2017
If they didn't talk they would be a lot more bearable, but even then most of them are terrible designs.

Oct 27, 2017
I barely tolerate Tails and Knuckles as it is, no need for any more characters. I would have been perfectly happy with the series only being Sonic vs. Robotnik and Metal Sonic, and no more characters.

So yeah, fuck the shitty friends.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I probably wouldn't hate them nearly as much if voice acting wasn't a thing.
Mario characters barely ever speak. Nintendo knows what's up.

Status
Not open for further replies.