• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seiki

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Call it flawed logic I am pretty certain that the PS1/N64-era definitely didn't have any lootboxes, you couldn't even connect to the internet. Around the time of the Dreamcast (the first online console) and PS2 we could now make purchases online but it wasn't as simple to connect to the internet (such as wireless) so I'm assuming many skipped on making online purchases despite lootboxes having no presence whatsoever, just game content downloads.

There was simply a period in gaming where money was not being spent on lootboxes in games to make profit for companies at the expense of recieving unknown in-game content, that's a staggering thought. Unfortunately the PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch are actually the most prone generation and the biggest offender because of the bigger amount of titles are including Overwatch, WWE 2K18 especially however we're up to the point that even single-player titles like Assassin's Creed Origins are setting lootboxes so this is becoming a trend... WHY??? (I know they're optional but still)

3139430-overwatch-ds1-670x377-constrain.jpg

I'm against lootboxes as developers in the past probably took more effort when creating these games from scratch and didn't sacrifice hard work for a box full of content that people don't know what they will recieve until the purchase is made. That may not be the situation every time but content is randomly generated and hidden away in these boxes for sure... but what's worse is what they offer since they are often little in value and it's kind of a gamble to see what you get.

1506961986043zgus3.jpg

Profit margins of companies like EA and Activision aren't higher than they were before lootboxes but I'm still going to imply they are "greedier" now and not as back then, I guess I'm wrong but just think about it... lootboxes never existed but are annoyingly prevelant amongst several titles this generation in an attempt to make profit and personally I'd like to see them become less prominent in gaming as a whole, I as a consumer simply decide not to give in to them. I'll have to exaggerate the point that I know lootboxes ARE optional but they're still a nuisance to include in games especially when I'm being forced into buying them, terrible.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Vote with your wallet and spread the word. The only reason they keep pushing it is because people are willing to pay for it.

Oct 25, 2017
Previously without lootboxes the game would release and that's it. No free new maps, no costumes.
You're probably not going to get people to stop buying loot boxes and even if you did it probably wouldn't be good for anyone

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I hate that consumers are continuously complaining about them. I think Overwatch does it fine it keeps me playing the game ive never spent a dime on them, but i love to earn them.

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is there any entertainment hobby where people are more concerned with how other people spend their money than gaming?

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
Vote with your wallet and spread the word. The only reason they keep pushing it is because people are willing to pay for it.

Interesting, I haven't paid for a single lootbox and somehow this problem has only gotten worse.

It's almost like the entire premise of this thread is OP despairing that his "vote" is being drowned out by the masses of idiots who buy this crap.

OP
OP
seiki

seiki

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Previously without lootboxes the game would release and that's it. No free new maps, no costumes.
You're probably not going to get people to stop buying loot boxes and even if you did it probably wouldn't be good for anyone
I'm not causing any panic that people will buy lootboxes, that's fine I've just stated that this trend has to be less common that's all. It will only continue to get worse if they see they're actually making profit hiding away content for money.

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when user-generated content was what the publishers were chasing? Those were the days.

getoffmylawn.png

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Loot boxes and DLC are pretty much the same. Post-release earnings for the publisher. Content that you dont have access to with the initial purchase of a game.

Lazrgatr

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
There's no point in trying to convince people here to not buy lootboxes.

Perhaps try bringing the message to a place with a more casual audience.

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017

Except for the people who are, frankly speaking, addicted to buying lootboxes? Or consumers who would rather keep lootboxes out of single-player games with little post-launch support? Or people who would rather be able to play a multiplayer game without sinking hundreds of dollars in it to be competitive? The idea of a harmless lootbox that benefits everyone is a myth and should be treated as such.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I've come to accept loot boxes as a way of gaming life at this point. In a perfect world they wouldn't be necessary.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
It's kind of funny we're calling the dreamcast the first online console now
Famicom_Network_System.jpg

I'm personally about at the limit of what I can do about loot boxes because I don't put a dime towards them but even my roommate has dropped over $100 on Fortnite.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Really? Most games are dearth of stuff like costumes especially because it's all regulated to $0.99 keys on the platforms respective store.

OP
OP
seiki

seiki

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when user-generated content was what the publishers were chasing? Those were the days.

getoffmylawn.png
This. I can actually recall this with the Tenchu games on PlayStation by releasing new versions with the Level Editor which promotes user-generated content, people went and bought it alone just for that... This is not much of a thing anymore but here's hoping with the videogame Dreams.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
There's no point in trying to convince people here to not buy lootboxes.

Perhaps try bringing the message to a place with a more casual audience.

It's pointless. I remember painstakingly explaining when I was younger that Candy Crush was psychologically manipulative to my "non-gamer" friends. I was even working for a mobile company at the time, so I had an inside ear to the nasty tips and tricks. Nobody cares.

The solution is regulation.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I do not like where this generations games are headed, it going to do some real damage to the industry in the long run

Mark my words. Im already playing less than ever, and it because progression systems designed around loot boxes kills my love. Battlefront 2 had the worst I have ever seen, COD was pretty bad, Forza is an embarrassment, Just losing my love.

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any entertainment hobby where people are more concerned with how other people spend their money than gaming?

Last time I checked, book publishing companies didn't tear out the last few pages of a book and force you to pay extra to buy them. You don't usually go to a movie theatre and spin a wheel to decide which movie your $15 will get you to see.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This argument only holds if those post-launch content additions makes games better today than they were 10 years ago.

I don't think they are.

BLACKDOG

Nov 8, 2017
I buy loot boxes for the games I enjoy, typically games that are multiplayer and that I know I will be spending many hours play. I purchase these also knowing the large expense that games cost to make and maintain. Also knowing that my purchase is helping pay for more art more technology to help the game or the studio grow.

My issue is when those loot boxes are used in a way that effect the performance of a player or when those loot boxes lock you out of critical game play elements.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Interesting, I haven't paid for a single lootbox and somehow this problem has only gotten worse.

It's almost like the entire premise of this thread is OP despairing that his "vote" is being drowned out by the masses of idiots who buy this crap.
You seem very angry about how other people choose to spend their own money.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
Loot boxes going away would be bad for the industry.

Games cost a lot of money to make and we're getting more free content updates than ever before.

Game companies are for-profit entities. They're not "greedy", they're "looking to maximize profits," it would be crazy if they weren't trying to do that.

If you don't like loot boxes, don't buy them, but try to look at the situation from a more well-rounded perspective before posting a poorly thought out thread regurgitating the same myopic internet outrage points we've seen a thousand times before.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Consumers have a choice to buy what they want. Telling others how to spend their own money never goes well.

Status
Not open for further replies.