• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Maybe stadia having new released games on day 1 will force them to stay even with the competition and sony will do it eventually
Stadia has new release games... for sale.. on Stadia.. day one. You still pay the $50-60 or whatever.

That has little to do with games not being day one on PSNow. At least not how it's structured now; it's possible they could allow you to stream your games on PSNow that you've bought digitally.. but did you see the numbers for PSNow and how they shot up when Sony enabled game downloads? The majority of time on PSNow quickly became spent on downloaded games not streamed games...

Sony see's the lack of demand for streaming, at least with their quality of service.. they are probably looking at Stadia and thinking Google is crazy to expect people to pay full price to stream games.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Tried PS now and I am glad they are not prioritising streaming.

The tech is cool, but I don't see the benefit at the moment? It was lagging so bad and the picture quality was not good.

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Stadia has new release games... for sale.. on Stadia.. day one. You still pay the $50-60 or whatever.

That has little to do with games not being day one on PSNow. At least not how it's structured now; it's possible they could allow you to stream your games on PSNow that you've bought digitally.. but did you see the numbers for PSNow and how they shot up when Sony enabled game downloads? The majority of time on PSNow quickly became spent on downloaded games not streamed games...

Sony see's the lack of demand for streaming, at least with their quality of service.. they are probably looking at Stadia and thinking Google is crazy to expect people to pay full price to stream games.
I know, I want Sony to have last of us 2 available on ps now day 1 for 60$ for example

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tried PS now and I am glad they are not prioritising streaming.

The tech is cool, but I don't see the benefit at the moment? It was lagging so bad and the picture quality was not good.
That's because it's only 720p it needs a serious upgrade they are way behind which is one of the main points of this whole thread, it's been 720p for years

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe stadia having new released games on day 1 will force them to stay even with the competition and they will do it eventually
Maybe if a 3rd Party Publishers feel inclined to do so they will post their Day One releases on PS Now (Because it's not up to Sony what 3rd Party games go up on PS Now on Day 1 releases) but I don't see a future where Sony will undermine their entire Console strategy the same way Microsoft did and put their First Part titles on PS Now Day One. Not when they can sell you their First Party games for $60+ a pop and sell you a $400+ Console.

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if a 3rd Party Publishers feel inclined to do so they will post their Day One releases on PS Now (Because it's not up to Sony what 3rd Party games go up on PS Now on Day 1 releases) but I don't see a future where Sony will undermine their entire Console strategy the same way Microsoft did and put their First Part titles on PS Now Day One. Not when they can sell you their First Party games for $60+ a pop and sell you a $400+ Console.
Not many people use cloud though so it won't hurt their consoles

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about game ownership I get to play the same game either way for less money
That's incredibly short-sighted.

Within 2 years of streaming becoming the main focus of the industry, and not just "an option," you'll be wishing they'd go back to the way things were.
Imagine all the worst business practices of this industry rolled into one giant consumer-fucking pile of shit with no decent alternative.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Im hoping they will somehow let me stream digital games I own, from their servers in the future. Probably a PS+ of PSNow feature. They will just open the gates later, no need to rush to compete with Google. It is a nice service for now, data caps and speed are a big problem in the biggest gaming market...

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I could totally see them using it to push people away from discs as opposed to hyping it by itself.

Buy digital-> download, stream, or download only parts you play often and stream the rest

Buy physical-> can only install to hard drive

Nov 24, 2017
As i play my project Xcloud... which runs great and is in public beta.... looks and plays amazing, but like any streaming, it will depend on your wifi/cell strength.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
That's because it's only 720p it needs a serious upgrade they are way behind which is one of the main points of this whole thread, it's been 720p for years

Let's see here, Sony has 720p quality for years to Google and Microsoft's nothing. Let's see, 720p something to 0p nothing... Which is better I wonder. 🤔

You know that 1080p streaming is coming to Now is the near future yet still complain. You don't want to accept that companies don't go from 0 to 100 on a whim and that there is a progression to all of this. You act incredibly entitled that these companies should be sharing their future plans with you when they are not ready to do so yet.

Just chill man and let them do their thing. Info will come and the strategy of each company will become clearer with time.

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's incredibly short-sighted.

Within 2 years of streaming becoming the main focus of the industry, and not just "an option," you'll be wishing they'd go back to the way things were.
Imagine all the worst business practices of this industry rolled into one giant consumer-fucking pile of shit with no decent alternative.
No I won't be wishing, streaming is so much better and costs less ive been using GeForce now for the past year over my pc and I've never thought about going back to my pc, Ill have Nintendo for the old traditional offline system

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
No I won't be wishing, streaming is so much better and costs less ive been using GeForce now for the past year over my pc and I've never thought about going back to my pc, Ill have Nintendo for the old traditional offline system
It costs less for now, the same way Netflix streaming used to cost $7.99.
Netflix, of course, only needs to stream to you compressed video, not render time-sensitive complex and demanding games in real time. What they do struggle with is keeping users subscribed, which they deal with by spending a lot of money on original exclusive content.

Game streaming will have to deal with the same issues as any video streaming service, except they also will be much more expensive to run. Your occasional $60 purchase and/or $10/mo sub will never quite cover it. It can't remain as cheap as you want it, which is why I said you were being short-sighted.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
They're operating on completely different business models. Google is not [primarily] a hardware company, and they don't have a suite of game studios, so the only way they can compete with PS5 and the next Xbox is by having universal compatibility with tons of devices.

Sony and MS have a hardware business model for consoles, so it wouldn't benefit their business to offer their games and functionality across a range of devices. They want to sell consoles and accessories. Having a new generation that mixes new hardware and new software is a big boon for these companies' businesses, so it wouldn't behoove them to put their next-generation titles on the current generation in the form of streaming. They want people to upgrade.

Last edited:

TimFL

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
In an ideal world you'd buy a game from the PS Store, go to the library where you have a "Download" button and a separate "Stream" button that hides itself if you install the game (after the download).

Then you get apps on other platforms (Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android etc) that can stream any game you own.

I'd even pay a monthly fee (PSNow as requirement) for that. For the cheap ones, you should have the option to use your console as a streaming host (for all installed games) to deliver the content to your apps free of charge.

First one to do this wins next gen.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I don't care about game ownership I get to play the same game either way for less money

Geforce Now uses Steam and Uplay, like with Stadia you will pay a full license.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It costs less for now, the same way Netflix streaming used to cost $7.99.
Netflix, of course, only needs to stream to you compressed video, not render time-sensitive complex and demanding games in real time. What they do struggle with is keeping users subscribed, which they deal with by spending a lot of money on original exclusive content.

Game streaming will have to deal with the same issues as any video streaming service, except they also will be much more expensive to run. Your occasional $60 purchase and/or $10/mo sub will never quite cover it. It can't remain as cheap as you want it, which is why I said you were being short-sighted.
Streaming costs will always be fair and cheaper than physical hardware as long as theres streaming competition, the same way console makers don't make their consoles cost 1,000$

yea there will be a 1$ increase here and a 2$ increase there but it will still be much cheaper

and some even offer it for free like stadia when their base version comes out next year

Last edited: