• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what motivated me to potentially open another DmC can of worms solely for the scene where Vergil talks about his penis but here we are.

DmC is not a well written game. For whatever we'll say about the gameplay, and most of us can at least agree that the Definitive Edition bumped the game up to something worthwhile, DmC's dialogue is universally reviled, and for good reason. Characters intended to be more grounded and down to earth spout absolutely pathetic barbs such as "The world is your bitch, as am I", and there are scenes that are, at best, in poor taste (and you know which one I'm talking about).

Nowhere is the more prevalent than with lead characters Dante and Vergil. Dante as a character has been dissected here enough, while Vergil is kind of a fucking dorkface. The once proud Son of Sparda who deftly wields the Yamato and detests guns is now a fedora-clad hacker running a counter-demon Anonymous, and who murders a demon mother in cold blood with a sniper rifle in one of the game's most loathed scenes.

And then he just casually reveals himself to be a villain, because this a reboot.

But today I want to talk about one particular slice of this story, and that is the conversation Dante and Vergil have while in Mundus' tower, where Vergil gives the iconic, Shakespearean line.

In this scene, for the first time in the whole game, Dante and Vergil speak to each other like actual human beings, and as brothers. They're playfully squabbling with each other, showing a degree of respect and camaraderie with a level of writing this more realistic universe was meant to display all the time. It's one of two, maybe three scenes in the entire game where Dante is allowed to emote like a human being (the other two being his attempts to reassure Kat as she's taken away by the SWAT team and, seriously I will fight this, the time where he talks about his experiences with self harm), and does a standup job at characterizing and selling Dante's growing sense of purpose and place in his world, where he can finally bring himself to care about other people.

Is it anywhere near as good as Dante refusing to admit he's crying after Vergil descends into Hell, and then throwing himself into a horde of demons to distract himself? Heck no, but it was nice to give a shit about the cast of DmC for once.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
My most relatable Vergil moment was when he performed an abortion via sniper bullet on a hostage before tapping her in the head.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly thought DmC had a great story, people love to make fun of the "sniper rifle demon abortion" but the game had a very unique vibe.

Especially dug that a boss was essentially a fox news anchor.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Yeah, writing genius there. How long did it take them to think that one up? They must have been up all night.

What's next for this unnamed Shakespeare? Maybe, "I know you are but what am I?" Or maybe something like, "That's what your mom said."

An incredible generation defining moment, honestly.

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
image0-33.png

My favorite part of DmC is Ninja Theory removing Vergil's neckbeard fedora in most of the cutsecnes in the re-release

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, writing genius there. How long did it take them to think that one up? They must have been up all night.

What's next for this unnamed Shakespeare? Maybe, "I know you are but what am I?" Or maybe something like, "That's what your mom said."

An incredible generation defining moment, honestly.
The most Shakespearian line for me is "The world is your bitch, as am I."

Really makes you think.

My favorite part of DmC is Ninja Theory removing Vergil's neckbeard fedora in most of the cutsecnes in the re-release
My favorite part is them backpedalling at top speed with the Definitive Edition, adding in all the stuff they insisted fans didn't need, like hard lock-on and 60fps gameplay.

They came to the DMC series with all that attitude and embarrassed themselves by falling far short of the series' standards.

Look at DmC next to DMC5. Amateur hour.

Last edited:

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
DmC is a way funnier game than a lot of people give it credit for. It got a fair few belly laughs out of me, for which I'm grateful.

"Desiccated squirrel semen" being one of them.

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of vitriol directed at this game all this time later is still amusing to me.

Though I'll have to say that this is not the best example of the story or dialogue doing something well.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
My most relatable Vergil moment was when he performed an abortion via sniper bullet on a hostage before tapping her in the head.

In all seriousness, I related the most with Dante in that scene.

Yes, Dante has spent the entirety of the game being edgelord FUCK YOUUUU incarnate at that point, but even he was like "what in the fuck dude" as the screen cuts to Vergil just smiling with glee

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
DmC is the only Devil May Cry game I've played and I think the dialogue is hilarious. I enjoyed the hell out of this game.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I totally get disliking everything else about DmC, but Big Dick Vergil is the highpoint of the whole experience. It's a dumb line that's so unexpected from a game that is otherwise so painfully earnest in its adolescent "SHUT UP, MOOOOM!" tone. Every other line Vergil says is just cliched villain dross or plain exposition, so you can't help but giggle when he finally grows a personality for half a second.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I think you're making a big deal out of some cringe line. I do it all the time for MGS.

Can you believe NT were hired in part to improve DMC's writing and storytelling? Homerun...

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I completely understand that people didn't like how DmC was such a massive tonal departure for the series, but I'm still a little bewildered by the amount of hate it continues to get after all this time. I really enjoyed this take on Dante as its own separate thing, silly dialogue included. It's often immature and snarky, but in a way that entirely fits the game's tone and (this version of the) characters.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was a useless release and the DE cemented that, this retread actually went back to what made DMC good in the first place. Capcom wasted money, time and resources on DmC which was released during a rather dark period of their time.

They can make a far better DMC game in house and V seems to become just that. I'm glad Capcom aborted this reboot.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
DmC's dialogue is honestly more natural and relatively human in comparison to games like The Witcher 3

rapid32.5

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I enjoyed DmC more despite liking DMC back in PS2 era. The battle system was more fun, even the story and dialog.