• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Carlquincy

Jul 25, 2022
Din know theres a pill option now. Seems much better than gulping 4 litres of water down over an hour.

Jan 29, 2018
So how's it work? They shove a camera up there but uc they find a polyp how do they remove it? Does the camera have little robot claws?

OP
OP
echoshifting

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
So how's it work? They shove a camera up there but uc they find a polyp how do they remove it? Does the camera have little robot claws?

Dunno but my paperwork says "colonoscopy with possible polypectomy and biopsy" which presumably means they have some sort of instrument 🤷‍♂️

The camera is on a tube like any other scope I believe

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017

41lyp3-CWH6-L-AC.jpg

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
This isn't my first rodeo, so I started rolling back solids, spicy shit and anything else that could make this violently unpleasant a couple of days ago. Fingers crossed it makes a difference.

Last time I did this I had to drink one big jug of evil garbage and I never thought it was going to stop. I called the nurse line in tears midway through it. Something's wrong, I said, there's no way it's supposed to be like this. Yes, actually it is. We did this to you on purpose

This time they gave me Sutab, which you do in two stages. So it's nice that there's a break in the middle. Assuming that actually happens....here's hoping. The downside is I have to get up at 2:30 in the morning to do this again, so that kind of sucks. But I already prefer the cup of water with twelve pills to the jug of evil. Still it sure is weird popping all those fuckers knowing what you're doing to yourself

I can feel the dark magic beginning to work as I type this. Please commiserate and share your stories of colonoscopy prep woes. Or hell any surgical/procedure prep woes.

Yeah I wish they gave me pills. I had to really try for 30 minutes not to puke it all right back up.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know the meaning of diarrhea until I had my first colonoscopy last year. My prep was 2 bottles of liquid (1 the night before and 1 the morning of). I still gag thinking of the taste, but that's not even the worst part. Schedule that shit as early in the morning as possible. The prep is the fucking worst.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 33 and should probably have one in the next few years. I have no related symptoms but an uncle had colon cancer in his early 40s (and beat it), so there is a bit of a family history there.

I feel like I don't even know what the procedure itself is totally comprised of, haha. Do you get completely put to sleep for it or are you awake and just numb? Like novocain for inside your ass.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I got my first colonoscopy 3 years ago when I was 25, and sure enough they found a precancerous polyp. I might have been absolutely fucked if I waited until the recommended age to get one.

The prep was awful but the procedure itself was completely painless. Put me to sleep and when I woke up I thought it hadn't even started yet.

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
i Remember when I got my colonoscopy I was in the office waiting to be called and I'm seeing guys rushing to the restroom in a mad haste and it was just one so they were banging on the door like their life's were on the line.

Kozmo

Jan 5, 2018
I also wasn't aware of the pill option. I will see if I can ask for that going forward. I try to do one every 2-3 years now because of a polyp I once had. The drink is really the worst. I don't mind the pooping though, it feels good to get all that shit out.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
i did this a couple months ago. drinking that juice was easily the worst part. putting that much liquid down for me wasn't easy, and the juice tasted so fucking weird. other people i know got a lemon flavored one. mine was weird flavored. absolutely awful. the bathroom trips and no solids was the easy part for me.

i didn't think of using a chaser until a few rounds of it. it wasn't too bad after that. next time i do it, i won't choose to have it done first thing in the morning. getting up at 3 am to drink another gallon of weird juice wasn't a good decision lol.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
I was lucky (or maybe unlucky) for my colonoscopy. I hadn't had a solid stool or ingested any food for a few weeks so all they used for prep was an enema. My body had done the prep for them XD

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I am 35 and have not gotten one yet. Although I have had symptoms over the years but that was normal stuff and a diet change helped. More fiber and veggies. I do have a family history. My grandfather got it and they beat it but the cancer spread to his liver and he passed away. However he only got it because he didn't get his colonoscopy or stopped going all together. . I think after my grandmother passed away he stopped caring.

He also smoked a ton as well.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I was having issues a couple years ago and had an appointment with a doctor about a colonoscopy. I started getting better a couple weeks before the appointment and cancelled it. If I can help it, I'm never going to get a colonoscopy or prostate exam. That hole is a one way, exit only. Nothing's going up it.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
You can get tablets now? I couldn't drink the crap, like physically was unable. So I did the Gatorade and dulcalax method. I hate lemon lime Gatorade now.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
honestly, mine wasn't too bad (the prep work I mean, the colonoscopy is nothing). I got picoprep, which is a powder you mix with water (which gets warm due to some reaction which was funny) and you take one big glass the first time and the other in the morning (my colonoscopy was at 12). Tastes like some shitty orange drink and after about an hour it goes into effect. I just had to drink 2 liters of water to refill my fluids, but it was fairly painless. Outside of the constant squirting out of my ass obviously.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I was having issues a couple years ago and had an appointment with a doctor about a colonoscopy. I started getting better a couple weeks before the appointment and cancelled it. If I can help it, I'm never going to get a colonoscopy or prostate exam. That hole is a one way, exit only. Nothing's going up it.
My issues also were almost gone by that time and the doctor even suggested cancelling it, but I felt like I needed to know for myself so I went ahead with it. They found 3 benign polyps that could have become cancerous and now I have to get checked every 5 years (this was 3 years ago). So I'm glad I had one and really, the colonoscopy is nothing; you don't really feel it anyway and it gives you some peace of mind or it could potentially save your life.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
So I'm glad I had one and really, the colonoscopy is nothing; you don't really feel it anyway and it gives you some peace of mind or it could potentially save your life.

No one is going to see my bare ass. It was bad enough wearing a hospital gown when they did injections in my back. Besides, if anything ever did happen, my life isn't worth saving. Everyone would be better off without me.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I was expecting the worst after taking mine but it was actually pretty mild. They had me slow down solid foods gradually for days though.

How does that work? What do you even eat? Just soups? Im still years from needing these done, but I gag at the idea of a week straight of just broth or those ensure canisters drinks
hSCfnFa.png

OP
OP
echoshifting

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
How does that work? What do you even eat? Just soups? Im still years from needing these done, but I gag at the idea of a week straight of just broth or those ensure canisters drinks
hSCfnFa.png

I had ramen on Sunday for dinner, it's not that bad. No pork belly or spiciness or whatnot but was perfectly fine and caused no problems. And I've only really been heavily modifying my diet since Friday. Nobody was really stopping me from eating most things before Monday mid-morning, but once you've gone through this one time you know better than to fuck with a bunch of grease and capsaicin flowing out of you for hours

I am ready for real food again right now though. I can still have plain chicken broth for a few more hours and it's starting to sound pretty good

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I am ready for real food again right now though. I can still have plain chicken broth for a few more hours and it's starting to sound pretty good

Just hope they don't delay it and keep you hanging for hours. I had surgery a few years ago that was scheduled at 10:30 am. It was 2:30 pm when they took me back to the operating room. I couldn't eat after midnight the night before, so I was starving by the time I got to the recovery room.

OP
OP
echoshifting

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Just hope they don't delay it and keep you hanging for hours. I had surgery a few years ago that was scheduled at 10:30 am. It was 2:30 pm when they took me back to the operating room. I couldn't eat after midnight the night before, so I was starving by the time I got to the recovery room.

Oh yeah, I've been there too, for a back/implant surgery. That sucked. I'm hoping since it's straightforward, first thing in the morning, and doesn't seem like the doc who ordered it would be the kind of specialty that would elicit emergency needs very often (colo-rectal surgeon), that everything goes smoothly 🤞

The real challenge will be not eating anything stupid as soon as I get out. I've been fantasizing about a giant chicken-fried steak with a pile of eggs and bacon on top drowning in country gravy. My mom is my ride so I'm probably safe, she won't abide such nonsense

Oct 28, 2017
I remember my mum had to take a bunch of powder dissolved in water for a colonoscopy. She had a shitload left over afterwards so I nicked it, put it in a bottle of coke and gave it to one of the shitty bullies at school when he was demanding I give him my drink, like he'd always do to kids. He left a class partway through and we didn't see him for the rest of the day, but I know he had an absolutely awful day. One of the highlight memories of being at school.

Oct 28, 2017
Stopping with solid foot a few days ahead is definitely the way to go as far as I have heard. But it's still not a pleasant experience anyway. Hope they'll find everything alright OP!

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
The jug is the jug of the devil. I prefer going to the dentist for three hours straight than drink this garbage. The worst is, your body remembers that it makes you sick (in my case I vomit about half of it so I get twice the amount ) and everytime it gets worse.

NeoGold123

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As I understand it, the camera instrument also has a metal loop for polyp removal. They loop the polyp, the metal heats to high temperatures, and they just kinda pull the loop. The polyp gets cut off into a retrieval device, while the heat cauterizes the wound.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They do it differently here in the UK with endless litres of lemony water that has you basically glued to the toilet for about 8-12 hours.

That said, you feel hollow afterwards - I've always been curious to try them as part of a detox.
That lemon water stuff is evil. I got through one pack but I everytime I would even thinking about the second pack, I would almost throw up.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
I really need to get one scheduled, but every time I see a thread about it, doesn't make it jump to the top of my list. As someone who's struggled with hemorrhoids the prep sounds like hell

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
You're given sedation which pretty much puts you to sleep.
Freaky. I've never had major surgery so I've never gone under like that before. The idea of being deliberately put to sleep by someone/something, instead of just drifting off when you're tired, weirds me out for some reason.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Getting ready to start round two and just a little less enthusastic about doing this a second time in the middle of the night
I was gonna say, the biggest mistake I made was starting taking the laxatives at 2pm. I wish I had took the day off and started taking them in the morning.

I only got 1-2 hours of sleep before I went in for the procedure. I scheduled it for 8 or 9 am. And I had to get up around 3 - 5 am to finish taking the laxatives.

Stopping with solid foot a few days ahead is definitely the way to go as far as I have heard. But it's still not a pleasant experience anyway. Hope they'll find everything alright OP!
Agree, this is what I did. At least a day before I started taking them.

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Good luck, OP! I have my first coming up next week and I'm kind of dreading it. Think they gave me the pills. Just stuck them in the hall closet and haven't been brave enough to read through the directions yet 😅 I just know I'm going to be hungry and miserable going in

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've had to do colonoscopies since I was 16 and I've tried a bunch of prep. The jug has honestly been the most gentle for me. Others have cause intense cramping.

So now that it's yearly for me, I take a day off work, eat light. Then in the evening I do the jug thing while I watch bad TV.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
Golytely is that wonderful jug of liquid we give to patients along with some antibiotics that clear people out. If they can't drink it, we place an nasal gastric tube in them and administer it through that. Its definitely something I don't want to experience but I give it to people all the time when we prep for colon surgery.

OP
OP
echoshifting

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I'm all hooked up in here and ready to go and having an embarrassing cyborg problem

I left my remote for my stimulator at home. They don't want to proceed w/o being able to put it in surgery mode. Usually they have a device that can do this here buuuut I guess not today.

So I just sent my mom to my house to root around and find the thing. Ugh 🤦‍♂️

Last edited: