• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
It's the late fat model with software PS2 emulation, the 80GB that came with MGS4. The fans crank up to maximum instantly on powering on; I fear any use will cause the YLOD. I would like to get it fixed by someone who knows what the hell they're doing but don't know my options and don't trust a cursory Google search. I'm disabled and can't do the repairs myself, and don't know anyone locally I could trust. Could anyone with experience on this matter help guide me?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have specific suggestions of where to go, but wherever you go, make sure they know about the TOKIN caps on the PS3. Those are what fail, and not the solder balls failing like people thought for a while. If they are aware of that then there's a way better chance of them knowing what they're doing. I wouldn't trust someplace that defaults to try to redo the solder for the CPU and GPU.

MrChocolate

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have specific suggestions of where to go, but wherever you go, make sure they know about the TOKIN caps on the PS3. Those are what fail, and not the solder balls failing like people thought for a while. If they are aware of that then there's a way better chance of them knowing what they're doing. I wouldn't trust someplace that defaults to try to redo the solder for the CPU and GPU.

Sorry, I'm an idiot. TOKIN caps? Would you mind to elaborate?

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly OP those early fat models are more trouble than they're worth.

I do miss my CECHA01 sometimes but I babied it (even modding it so the fans would ramp up to keep the CPU/GPU temps low) and it still failed ... twice. Even had the bloody thing on a wire cooling tray to help dissipate heat from underneath.

If it wasn't for the parts shortage I'd recommend a PS2 slim with a RAD2X cable for an easy, neat and tidy way to play PS2 games via HDMI.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, I'm an idiot. TOKIN caps? Would you mind to elaborate?

Sorry. Should have been more descriptive.

The fat PS3 used a chip capacitor that is labeled as NEC TOKIN, and they look like this.
OE907-Tokin.jpeg

It has been discovered that they have a very high failure rate, and the yellow light of death on fat PS3's was caused by them going bad. However, for many years people thought the fix for the YLOD was to try to reflow the solder balls under the CPU and GPU, or for repair companies to completely remove the CPU/GPU and resolder them. It appeared to work, because when heated the token caps temporarily regain proper functions, but it was never a permanent solution, not to mention it was far more risky.

The current fix is to replace the Tokin capacitors with more reliable capacitors. So you'd end up with something like this.
y67kBRd.png

The reason I mention them is because last I checked there were still many places claiming to do PS3 repair that don't replace those capacitors, and instead use outdated information and do the much more difficult job of resoldering the CPU/GPU.
Basically it's a good test to see if the repair place you choose has kept up to date on their info. It sounds like you might just need a good cleaning and new thermal paste, but better to go with a place that knows their stuff rather than one using years old info.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
I have a yellow LOD Fat PS3... this is very relevant to my interests , I would LOVE to resurrect the guy.

Oct 25, 2017
I've got the same exact model, fat MGS4 PS3 that still retains the emulation (it was the last model to do so)
it yellow deathed too, I popped the top off to try and get my disk out at the time
basically in the same boat
I've wanted it repaired for years but havent known where to go

The fat PS3 used a chip capacitor that is labeled as NEC TOKIN, and they look like this.
OE907-Tokin.jpeg

It has been discovered that they have a very high failure rate, and the yellow light of death on fat PS3's was caused by them going bad. However, for many years people thought the fix for the YLOD was to try to reflow the solder balls under the CPU and GPU, or for repair companies to completely remove the CPU/GPU and resolder them. It appeared to work, because when heated the token caps temporarily regain proper functions, but it was never a permanent solution, not to mention it was far more risky.

The current fix is to replace the Tokin capacitors with more reliable capacitors. So you'd end up with something like this.
y67kBRd.png

The reason I mention them is because last I checked there were still many places claiming to do PS3 repair that don't replace those capacitors, and instead use outdated information and do the much more difficult job of resoldering the CPU/GPU.
Basically it's a good test to see if the repair place you choose has kept up to date on their info. It sounds like you might just need a good cleaning and new thermal paste, but better to go with a place that knows their stuff rather than one using years old info.
thats useful information thanks
maybe ill finally get my ps3 repaired somewhere

MrChocolate

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

OE907-Tokin.jpeg

y67kBRd.png

Thank you! (and the other members!!) I didn't know about this

PieOMy

Nov 15, 2018
Boston

This guy has a great channel and he replaces those capacitors.

My original fat PS3 got the YLOD. After I removed the disc inside my dad threw it away a few weeks later without my consent and bought me a slim.

The fan on my slim was also cranking up like your fat. In 2020 I dissembled it, dusted, and replaced the thermal paste. Good as new. The process was stressful though.

trappedinsap

Jul 26, 2019
Not to derail the thread, but are the later Phat PS3 models that aren't backward compatible also faulty? I inherited one recently that had only ever been used for one game. Any tips on upkeep? It's not turned on often, barely at all in fact.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Not to derail the thread, but are the later Phat PS3 models that aren't backward compatible also faulty? I inherited one recently that had only ever been used for one game. Any tips on upkeep? It's not turned on often, barely at all in fact.

No idea if they're systemically faulty, but as a totally anecdotal data point, mine red screen of deathed after a year or two of heavy use :(

BlackBoyFly

Oct 12, 2020
Not sure where you live OP, but this repair shop is near Baltimore Maryland. If you're far from there, they also accept mail ins.

I've used them a couple of times before and absolutely love them. They're cheap and do an excellent job with all types of repairs. You can give them a call and describe your problem, they'll give you an estimate. The only downside to them is that they are always backed up by 3 or so months. But I just credit that to them running an excellent business with high demand for their services.

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT

OE907-Tokin.jpeg

y67kBRd.png

This is good to know, thanks for posting! I'll have to keep this in my back pocket.

OP
OP
Harmony Friends
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly OP those early fat models are more trouble than they're worth.

I do miss my CECHA01 sometimes but I babied it (even modding it so the fans would ramp up to keep the CPU/GPU temps low) and it still failed ... twice. Even had the bloody thing on a wire cooling tray to help dissipate heat from underneath.

If it wasn't for the parts shortage I'd recommend a PS2 slim with a RAD2X cable for an easy, neat and tidy way to play PS2 games via HDMI.
I have a PS2 and a RetroTink, so back compat is actually not that meaningful for me. If it's gonna be cheaper in the long run to get a newer PS3, I'll just go with that. Do you know if any particular models have better reliability, or can you not really go wrong?

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Any advice on this for Europe/Germany?

There was a youtube channel I think called NSC Modz, i think in Europe (maybe Germany?) who seems very proficient and does a ton of niche videos on ps3 repair. I think they have contact info in their channel description.

I have a PS2 and a RetroTink, so back compat is actually not that meaningful for me. If it's gonna be cheaper in the long run to get a newer PS3, I'll just go with that. Do you know if any particular models have better reliability, or can you not really go wrong?

Super slim or late era regular slim. Prefer super slim for fewer moving parts. Both will require a blu ray drive to boot I think. If you want cfw and the ability to bypass this in case of error you'll need an older slim or fat but then you'll probably have the same capacitor issue down the road. I think the cutoff point for cfw is models which originally shipped with 3.55 or earlier? So 21xx or 20xx but not 25xx, not sure.

Every ps3 model up until the mid era Slims (I think, for example, around 2009 but maybe not 2010) uses NEC Tokin caps, just less than the fat ps3s, so in theory they should have the same issue. That said, my ps3 slims from way back still work with no issue while I've had issues with fats from only a bit earlier, so idk. The trade off is that later slims and super slims don't have the same degree of cfw abilities as earlier units so take that as you will.

trappedinsap

Jul 26, 2019
There was a youtube channel I think called NSC Modz, i think in Europe (maybe Germany?) who seems very proficient and does a ton of niche videos on ps3 repair. I think they have contact info in their channel description.

Super slim or late era regular slim. Prefer super slim for fewer moving parts. Both will require a blu ray drive to boot I think. If you want cfw and the ability to bypass this in case of error you'll need an older slim or fat but then you'll probably have the same capacitor issue down the road. I think the cutoff point for cfw is models which originally shipped with 3.55 or earlier? So 21xx or 20xx but not 25xx, not sure.

Every ps3 model up until the mid era Slims (I think, for example, around 2009 but maybe not 2010) uses NEC Tokin caps, just less than the fat ps3s, so in theory they should have the same issue. That said, my ps3 slims from way back still work with no issue while I've had issues with fats from only a bit earlier, so idk. The trade off is that later slims and super slims don't have the same degree of cfw abilities as earlier units so take that as you will.
Very interesting. My original slim is a champ that just keeps on going, I've never had any issues with it whatsoever. Thinking my new(to me) fat PS3 will just be a display piece, it just looks so cool still!

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
For those looking for modders, recommended modder lists on reputable sites is always a good start. Check out their work on twitter/elsewhere too.

support.castlemaniagames.com

Recommended Modders

This is a list of modders we have worked with directly or have at the very least we've reviewed their work and would hire them ourselves. Before hiring, please read and review the following with your modder: When contacting a modder it is a...

Ifixretro is the only one I personally have paid to do work for me (ps1 XStation install). I would recommend them based on my experience.

OP
OP
Harmony Friends
Oct 28, 2017
I found someone local who buys PS3s in order to do custom case mods and stuff like that, so I've decided I'm just gonna sell it and get me a later model system. Thanks a bunch everyone for all your advice!