• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
First, It's still the best fighting game I have ever played. (I see you Mark of the Wolf fans)

Is there any reason to think this will come to the 1up Arcade series of games? If not, What is the consensus best port of the game that I can build (or pay my brother to build) an arcade cabinet based on(like what do the play this on at tourneys?) I really wanted the actual Arcade game but that thing is $$$$$$. Are Hori fighting sticks still considered good? This is one of the final pieces to the game room. Blessings!

Last edited:

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
Dunno about Arcade 1up, but the best port is generally considered Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition, which is stuck on Xbox 360 and PS3. Nothing wrong with Hori sticks!

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
First, It's still the best fighting game I have ever played. (I see you Mark of the Wolf fans)

Is there any reason to think this will come to the 1up Arcade series of games? If not, What is the consensus best port of the game that I can build (or pay my brother to build) an arcade cabinet based on(like what do the play this on at tourneys?) I really wanted the actual Arcade game but that thing is $$$$$$. Are Hori fighting sticks still considered good? This is one of the final pieces to the game room. Blessings!

Reported to move to gaming side.
I could see a 1up machine at some point but I think it would need to be paired with another big Capcom game for it to financially make sense. As beloved as 3rd Strike is a $500+ 1up machine with an online enabled 3rd Strike along with the other two versions of SF3 doesn't strike me as a real mover.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
I could see a 1up machine at some point but I think it would need to be paired with another big Capcom game for it to financially make sense. As beloved as 3rd Strike is a $500+ 1up machine with an online enabled 3rd Strike along with the other two versions of SF3 doesn't strike me as a real mover.

You're probably right. I would pony up some real money for a Arcade cab, although the original ones are like 3 grand and I can't pull that off.

Son of a...

Mamoniadas

Oct 25, 2017
Tournies for this game are on hardware cps3 rev. A with super guns if they're available. I think next best version is SF3:O on 360 or emu I guess idk much about the 30th version other than native lag. Before that we played on PS2 AE version but all those have slight quirks. Theres a fairly thorough writeup on getting an accurate emu build out there as well as that enhanced training mode stuff but I never bothered. also seimitsu ls-32 and sanwa obsf are the sbo standard.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
Tournies for this game are on hardware cps3 rev. A with super guns if they're available. I think next best version is SF3:O on 360 or emu I guess idk much about the 30th version other than native lag. Before that we played on PS2 AE version but all those have slight quirks. Theres a fairly thorough writeup on getting an accurate emu build out there as well as that enhanced training mode stuff but I never bothered. also seimitsu ls-32 and sanwa obsf are the sbo standard.

So they are playing on OG arcade boards? Good to know. I can stop chasing that car and focus on building a solid home setup.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
What's your budget?

CPS-3 is what the arcade version runs on. A CPS-3 setup plus third strike is probably over $1000.

You could also run fightcade via VGA to an arcade cab. Not sure where you are located but a highly recommend a Blast City.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Fightcade is your best bet.

Or if you got the 360 route, you can use Brook Wingman XBs if the controllers are for any console that uses USB.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
Fightcade is definitely your best bet if you want to play online with other players, it uses the arcade CPS3 version.

If you're looking for more single player content (like trials and a training mode) then go for the PS3/360 port. The 30th anniversary collection also has a training mode iirc but no trials. Not sure if either of these versions still have a lot of players online though.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
If you got a PS3 and get that version of Third Strike Online, then the Qanba Obsidian Stick is compatible with the console.

Now if you are talking about actually wanting to play competitively online, then Fightcade is what you're going to have to do.

DaCocoBrova

Oct 27, 2017
1up arcade units are overpriced. I have one (bought well before the prices skyrocketed) and gutted it. Used a RPi3 for compute, sanwa/seimetsu parts and a 16:10 display. Plays SFIII among many other games at full speed/ with CRT filters etc.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
What's your budget?

CPS-3 is what the arcade version runs on. A CPS-3 setup plus third strike is probably over $1000.

You could also run fightcade via VGA to an arcade cab. Not sure where you are located but a highly recommend a Blast City.

I'm in Philly and $500 . Considering I have most of the hardware to do this on console or pi4 laying around in the basement. Just gotta buy sticks

Fightcade is your best bet.

Or if you got the 360 route, you can use Brook Wingman XBs if the controllers are for any console that uses USB.

Fightcade is definitely your best bet if you want to play online with other players, it uses the arcade CPS3 version.

If you're looking for more single player content (like trials and a training mode) then go for the PS3/360 port. The 30th anniversary collection also has a training mode iirc but no trials. Not sure if either of these versions still have a lot of players online though.

If you got a PS3 and get that version of Third Strike Online, then the Qanba Obsidian Stick is compatible with the console.

Now if you are talking about actually wanting to play competitively online, then Fightcade is what you're going to have to do.

Never even heard of "fightcade" before. I'm out the loop badly it would seem.

I didn't wanna play online so much. I Challenged my son to a "fight-off" and one of the games I choose was Street Fighter 3 (he's gonna murder me in Smash Ultimate but it's cool) I think it will be a nice addition to the game room.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Never even heard of "fightcade" before. I'm out the loop badly it would seem.

I didn't wanna play online so much. I Challenged my son to a "fight-off" and one of the games I choose was Street Fighter 3 (he's gonna murder me in Smash Ultimate but it's cool) I think it will be a nice addition to the game room.

Fightcade is an emulation hub geared towards arcade fighting games and giving online match-making lobbies for them.

Mamoniadas

Oct 25, 2017
So they are playing on OG arcade boards? Good to know. I can stop chasing that car and focus on building a solid home setup.
The thing about those 1up mini cabs is they're not perfect. Theyre cool toys for sure but the emulation isn't 100% and they're stocked with cheap arcade parts that'd you'd have to swap out. If your bro can make a cab for you, imo it's a better investment to put an 360 or little PC in there and play 3s and other games you and yours might like. might be more front end investment but you'll have more flexibility in the long run The arc board is a big commitment to make esp for a single game tbh. Also peep the jazzy circuit. They run a 3s events across the us

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
The thing about those 1up mini cabs is they're not perfect. Theyre cool toys for sure but the emulation isn't 100% and they're stocked with cheap arcade parts that'd you'd have to swap out. If your bro can make a cab for you, imo it's a better investment to put an 360 or little PC in there and play 3s and other games you and yours might like. might be more front end investment but you'll have more flexibility in the long run The arc board is a big commitment to make esp for a single game tbh. Also peep the jazzy circuit. They run a 3s events across the us

yeah the 1 up Ms. Pac Man i have has a cheapo stick but I didn't know if that was across the board. I had played on a SF2 cab and it felt ok. Didn't feel like I was missing inputs but I'm not a pro.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Still annoyed that 3soe isn't BC on any of the systems. And that it wasn't even released on steam.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
SF30th Anniversary Collection is the best version you can buy.

3rd Strike Online Edition is great, and has more features. The trials are a joy. Extra colors are cool.

SF30th plays the same, though. It actually has less bugs. And the online is less rollbacky in my experience.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Get the 30th anniversary collection on sale on steam, extract the ROM and play it in fightcade. I believe that's the best totally legal experience.