• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
First of all, I have never played a FF before aside from the first CD in FF IX. I have been playing 16bit era RPG on my SNES mini and after finishing both Earthbound and Chrono Trigger it was FF VI turn.

I like everything about the game except for the random battles which is hindering my enjoyment big time.

Random battles every 5 seconds which is annoying as fuck. My characters are way overpowered now which make the battles boring and repetitive. Cannot make 5 steps without a random battle. What they were thinking with this?

I love the story, characters, music etc but the random battles are ruining the game for me.

Bartend3r

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are ways around it. Have you equipped sprint?

Also, don't get Octopath Traveler then.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm feeling similarly with octopath due to random battles. Here's hoping it gets better with cyrus

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Obnoxiously frequent random battles were a staple of the genre back then.

Thankfully, that's far less common now, and a lot more games let you see the enemies and avoid them, or offer other ways to mitigate encounter frequency.

Deleted member 35895

user requested account closure
Banned
Dec 11, 2017
I think you get a relic that reduces encounter rates at one point.

I played it on PS1, imagine a random battle every 5 seconds plus an additional 5 seconds of loading at the start and end of the battle

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't powerleveling early actually really bad in VI? You have to level up with an esper equipped to get the stat bonus, right?
So I think you being overleveled might even out later on.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I played FFVI in 2013 and didn't notice them as being more frequent than most games in the genre

At least the battles are fast and snappy (compared to most PS1 JRPGs anyway)

You might be overpowered but in general it's not really a difficult game

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would love every old final fantasy to get rereleased with bravely default's style of altering encounter rate and difficulty at the player's choosing. Would really keep some of these older titles accessible to younger generations. I grew up on random battles so I don't mind them at all, but if it helps the rest of the game is absolutely worth it.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Too bad you don't get the relic that eliminates random encounters (which can only be equipped by one character) until later in the game.

Nov 4, 2017
I'm pretty sure there are items that can half or eliminate encounters in FFVI. Some FF games have ways to avoid random battles, some don't.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Played it a few years ago and the random battles weren't that bad IMO.
But I am used to classic JRPGs, so maybe I didn't care too much.

Daknight

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't powerleveling early actually really bad in VI? You have to level up with an esper equipped to get the stat bonus, right?

No, that isn't how esper learning work. You would get esper points that where seperated from exp and those made you learn the spells equip from a esper. There is a certain island people would go to level esper fast cause of enemies being rather easy to kill but give a lot of esper points.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Wow first I've herd of someone complaining about random battles in FFVI, OP don't play any older RPGs if you think the encounter rate is high in VI. It's relatively low compared to other classic RPGs or even older FF games.

Also you can get relics to lower the encounter rate and also one that eliminates it entirely but that one has to be used on a specific character.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, SNES and PSX era rpgs suffer because of this. They are also annoying in FF 7, 8, and 9. Thankfully, they have reduced them a bit in the FF 9 port on PC (I think they must have done this in the others as well).

If you play the mobile version of FF VI (I know some people hate it, but I think it's not bad on PC with a mod to remove the blur filter), they also reduced the battle rate there. It is much more manageable.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy IV has random battles that can randomly give you game over via status effects. Those were not fun.

Nov 15, 2017
No, that isn't how esper learning work. You would get esper points that where seperated from exp and those made you learn the spells equip from a esper. There is a certain island people would go to level esper fast cause of enemies being rather easy to kill but give a lot of esper points.

He's not talking about esper learning he's talking about the stat bonuses at level up when you have an esper equipped. Without an esper equipped your stats don't go up when you level

(It doesn't really matter though because the stats themselves don't make THAT much of a difference and the game is easy anyway)

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I have been playing FFVI as well, around a year ago, but took a break because of being lost after I was confused how to go on. I went back to the right side of the map but need to be in the top left and don't know how to get there. Searching for the path back is supremely annoying with all the random battles :(.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
The random battles are too longer each other for my grind tastes... it could be fast.

Said that you basically needs to equip sprint to slower even more it.

BTW don't power level before you start to get Espers that add stats each new level up... the challenge is play without any level up to get overpowered late in the game due Espers bonus.

I think I reached the first Esper with lvl 11-12.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
FFVI is among the low-end of JRPGs, you might just not be used to it.

You can escape quickly in this game too. Use L+R

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
Just run as soon as you get into battles. Definitely do not try to fight them all. Wasting time and making the game worse for yourself by making it easy.

This is better to do in FF IV since you can run from battles instantly.

Nov 15, 2017
Sprint Shoes makes you go faster but it doesn't change the encounter rate which is calculated on a step basis. Timewise you'll be getting into encounters faster because you're taking more steps faster.

Mathematically speaking with the way encounters are calculated the average number of steps per encounter will be a little less than 30(less than 20 for the world map) which is comparatively non-painful for early RPGs

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Go to the spot where you get mog and get the item for him that lets you have no random battles. He had to be in your party but it really is not a big deal given you can skip all of them.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017

Yep, it's annoying to min-max the game. Basically every level up in the first 6-7 hrs of the game before getting espers, is a waste of potential stats. On my last run I had to level up only like 3 or 4 times in the first 7 hrs of the game, it made the boss battles annoying but still doable.

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
They didn't bother me when I was younger but nowadays they annoy the hell out of me. I tried to replay FFVII few months ago and at times it was torture because of the random battles. And VII doesn't even have that high of a encounter rate. I wonder how I had the patience for games like Suikoden 5 which IIRC had really high encounter rate...