• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I have been playing Tetris Effect, which is great. I've played an hour or two every night since it came out on Friday, but I'm going to have to stop because I'm literally suffering from the Tetris Effect at night.

I have sleep problems as it is, and I have been waking in the middle of the night, and every time I try to sleep, I am slipping into a half-dream state, but imagining playing Tetris. It's kind of comparable to when you work a long shift and then dream you're still at work, but it has definitely messed with my sleep.

Has anyone else literally felt "the effect" ?

Psykotik

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brunei
ZC7Hv0H.gif

i had tetris dreams after my first playthrough of tetris effect.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the first time you've put effort into Tetris? The same thing happens to me when I get serious about new things, most recently coding. I'd lose so much sleep thinking about Python problems, but eventually they went away.

It sucks you see it as suffering. Tetris has the opposite effect because Tetris DS used to be my go-to game to stop my anxiety attacks. I hope you can get through it and find therapeutic some day.

If you're playing it before bed, i'd suggest finding a different time in the day to play it.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, after I've played Puyo Puyo Tetris a lot last year after it launched.
I saw Tetris blocks everywhere, when I closed my eyes, while driving, while doing work.
Fortunately I didn't have sleep problems.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds a lot like when a new Pokémon game comes out and you get an earworm. Good luck OP. It's a cycle that you'll have to break somehow.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I have been playing Tetris Effect, which is great. I've played an hour or two every night since it came out on Friday, but I'm going to have to stop because I'm literally suffering from the Tetris Effect at night.

I have sleep problems as it is, and I have been waking in the middle of the night, and every time I try to sleep, I am slipping into a half-dream state, but imagining playing Tetris. It's kind of comparable to when you work a long shift and then dream you're still at work, but it has definitely messed with my sleep.

Has anyone else literally felt "the effect" ?
Geometry Wars did this to me. I was addicted to both GW1 and GW2 last gen as I tried to beat leaderboard scores within my group of friends.

But I'd literally lie in bed at night seeing Geometry Wars in my head. It was a worrying time.

It's a good job we didn't have HDR last gen or I think it would have imprinted in my brain even more.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
What's bizarre is that I tend to get the afterimage stuff extremely quickly... But not at all from this version.

Nov 8, 2017
The most severe case of Tetris Effect I've had was from playing Tetris Attack on SNES. There were times when I'd literally be playing the game in my mind just before I fell asleep. It was awesome how the play field in my head seemed to stay consistent without me having to make any effort to consciously remember where everything was. It felt so close to playing the game that it literally felt like I could practise it and improve my skill!

Another time I got Tetris Effect from playing DJMax Technica Tune on Vita. Every time I read text on web pages, there seemed to be imaginary vertical lines sweeping right and left across the page, in sync with whatever I was reading.

I also constantly have ear worms, which is basically the audio equivalent of Tetris Effect. This is so common to me that any time I don't have an ear worm, everything seems strange and eerily silent, like something that's always there is suddenly missing.

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
I remember I had it when I played Tetris on the DS. It didn't really bother me that much though, it was kind of fun being able to "play" Tetris wherever I was.

Another time I got Tetris Effect from playing DJMax Technica Tune on Vita. Every time I read text on web pages, there seemed to be imaginary vertical lines sweeping right and left across the page, in sync with whatever I was reading.

This one I can't stand though. It's why the Hatsune Miku Project Diva series is my favourite style of Rhythm game since the targets appear all over the screen and it is almost impossible for a Tetris Effect to develop.

Nov 8, 2017
This one I can't stand though. It's why the Hatsune Miku Project Diva series is my favourite style of Rhythm game since the targets appear all over the screen and it is almost impossible for a Tetris Effect to develop.
Well to be fair, I haven't had it from any other rhythm games (and I play a lot), but it was quite annoying with Technica Tune, since it messes up my normal reading speed as my attention is drawn to follow the imaginary lines instead of reading the text at regular speed.

neonxaos

Oct 29, 2017
I have experienced this many times in the past, mostly with Tetris, Puzzle Fighter and Bomberman. I used to have trouble focusing on reading, because I would imagine how to fit in blocks or place bombs between the words. It doesn't give me sleep problems, though. Because Tetris Effect in VR blocks out all social media and other visual stimuli, I findt myself strangely refreshed after playing it. The weird thing is that due to the way the music works, I now also HEAR the rotating blocks after extended sessions, as if they were musical tracks that got stuck in my head, but still somehow "interactive". Quite interesting.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I have the tetris effect from every game I play usually, it's why I quit playing games two hours before hitting bed.

Seeing a certain movement or attack pattern in flashes on loop sucks when you want to sleep haha.

I don't have it on Tetris yet because I still suck at it.

Deleted member 11018

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had tetris effect after playing the first european Tetris on NES when it came out.
The music and gameplay haunted the nights after i played it, but i just couldn't stop going back to it.
Алексeй Леонидович Пажитнов designed my first videogame drug... it was good and it was painful, i craved for it at school, one hell of an experience.
edit:
that one:

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I have experienced this many times in the past, mostly with Tetris, Puzzle Fighter and Bomberman. I used to have trouble focusing on reading, because I would imagine how to fit in blocks or place bombs between the words. It doesn't give me sleep problems, though. Because Tetris Effect in VR blocks out all social media and other visual stimuli, I findt myself strangely refreshed after playing it. The weird thing is that due to the way the music works, I now also HEAR the rotating blocks after extended sessions, as if they were musical tracks that got stuck in my head, but still somehow "interactive". Quite interesting.
I can relate to that although it only happened once in my life. It was some Burger Rush kinda game back in 2007 or so, maybe even a browser game? but all those moving tiles and the delivering of burgers to the customer popped up in my mind every time I closed my eyes. I couldn't think of anything else because it was so distractive and I couldn't sleep for a few days. I literally HAD to stop playing this game.

Never happened again with any other game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
Is this the first time you've put effort into Tetris? ........

It sucks you see it as suffering.....

If you're playing it before bed, i'd suggest finding a different time in the day to play it.

I've played Tetris many times over the last 30 years.

I call it "suffering" because it is combining with my sleep problems.

And yes.... I shouldnt play in the evening.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
had a really bad case of this when i was obsessed with multiplayer on ds.
it was really annoying.

been playing tetris effect last couple of days, nothing until now.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mainly had this with Bejeweled back in the day when I was obsessed with it, but Tetris also managed to influence my thoughts and dreams at one point. When a game's logic goes deep into your brain, it's easy to look at real life stuff and imagine how those elements would act in the game. Come to think of it, another "bad influence" was Portal - spent quite some time looking at walls thinking "yep, a portal could fit there, and that type of wall would definitely allow it".