Jun 23, 2019
It didn't even click with me that it was him. I just kept thinking how odd it was how much he looked like Topher Grace and kept remembering him as Venom in Spider-Man 3.

c02bd1179d4f70cc5cfcbac6b5b9e3b6.jpg

Thank you! I'm glad I wasn't the only one! I thought it was Topher Grace at first? But the voice was different.

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know it was Troy Baker either but then again, I don't really know (or pay attention to) which game characters he voices besides in the two Naughty Dog franchises.

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I didnt realise it was Troy.

He is a bland villian though, I've been playing it for a bit now expecting the real villian to show up.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, devs, producers really need to start broadening their scope on voice actors. I'm even starting to hear Ashly Burch in a lot of stuff, like the new Kate Bishop trailer for Avengers. Aloy teleported to the future with a new bow vibes.
Oh yeah. Don't get me wrong, I love Ashly as Chloe (obviously) but I can't think of anything since that wasn't her pretty much just being Chloe.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
Here in Spain everytging is dubbed. That means that the vast majority of times the same voice actor dubs different major actors. For example, Al Pacino, Sylvester Stallone and Robert de Niro are dubbed by the same voice actor.

What I want to say is that we are pretty much used to "oh, look, thats Al Pacino" when a new actor gets dubbed by a familiar voice actor.

So, for me, hearing common or repeated voice actors in different games has never been an issue.

OP
OP
fanboy

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
He's not the main villain so you might be asking too much from a relatively short game.

How is too much to ask for non dull main character of the game? He is on screen for quite a while to be this generic.

A lot of people say it for movies too. Like Leo.

Leo has shot like 4 movies in 6 years or so. Hanks is in 1/2 movies a year. Baker is in like 3-4 blockbusters/games every year.

Sorry, when I read big problem I assumed it was actually something major.

Its pútting me off in every cutscene. Actually, i had to pause mid cutscene to create this thread. Its a big reason for why I find this important character so unappealing.

Gray Matter

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
So, this thing I keep seeing when in regards to Voice Acting is people complain that it's the voice actors fault they use the same voice.

- Nolan North sounds the same in everything
- Laura Bailey sounds the same in everything

This is not "their" fault, because all of these actors have tremendous range. The issue is the casting and the direction all want that "standard performance" that people have assigned to these actors.

Best example is when Nolan was the Prince in PoP08. He wanted to use more of an accent, but Ubisoft just wanted him to do "Nathan Drake".

Or when he voiced David in the last of us. No idea it was Nolan until the credits rolled. These guys can have different voices, people just won't let them.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Same lol, him and Nolan have the most recognizable voices in gaming to me, and for instance it's hard for me to hear anything other than Drake when I hear Nolan on a different game.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
I haven't even played the game, but I've seen ~30 minutes of someone streaming this game. When I randomly heard this Simon guy on a radio, I instantly thought "This is Troy Baker, right?"
He seems to be pretty easy to recognize in Spider-man (as well as in many other games, tbh).

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
All I could hear was Troy Baker. At least in the Medium he should sound different.

Really though, I love Troy Baker, Laura Bailey, Nolan North, etc. but I can't unhear their voices. Even in roles like Sam Drake and Nadine. There are exceptions like David from TLOU, Joel from TLOU and MJ in Spidey, but they mostly do the same voice. Even weirder for Laura is the voice she does isn't her own, but many characters slip into it.

They are incredibly talented but maybe it's direction, overexposure or both but I'm far more excited nowadays to hear an unknown or even an up and comer like Lindbeck or Burch than their voices just due to how often they appear in games. I mean, Baker has played Hulk, Batman, Joker and Krieger in the last 2-3 years and 3 of them sound the exact same. Laura played MJ, Black Widow, Gwen Stacy/Spider Gwen, and Catwoman in the same time period and again, 3 sound identical. It's really becoming distracting and immersion breaking.

As for your point about Insomniac's writing, I feel the villains weren't great in Miles, particularly Tinkerer's motivation towards the end feeling straight out of a bad episode of Arrow (like Season 4 bad), but they nailed Doc Ock, Mr. Sinister, Jameson, Osborne and the rest of the Six in the OG Spider Man game.

OP
OP
fanboy

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
i
Because their good at their jobs?

Like, you have Bojack as your Avi and he's just Will Arnett albeit with horrific self esteem issues.

Blame the character writing because Simon Kreiger is just boring AF even with a good actor playing him.
I feel like you dont have to pay Baker for this lame ass character. There are probably hundreds of VA that can deliver his lines in same quality.. but we, overusing VA for unimportant roles is gonna stick...