• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I watched the series Finale when it aired in January. I bawled my eyes out. I then decided that I wanted to watch the entire series over again.

Before I knew it, I was at this point where the show was ending again. You would think that knowing what's coming would give me some sense of preparation, but nope, I cried again, if not even more than I did the first time.

Series Finales are never satisfactory for everyone, but for me this one was perfect. This show explores the reality of death and the concept of the afterlife in ways I've never thought of before, which leads me to think about the possibility of my own afterlife. What will it be like? Will I get to see my babies who passed away before we got the chance to know them? Or will I just be dust in the wind?

Please, if you have never seen this amazingly funny, thoughtfully creative, hauntingly beautiful show, do yourself a favor and give it a go. It's available on Netflix with each episode being a half hour long, each season being about 13 episodes and there are only 4 seasons. It's not a monumental investment of time. What started off as something just to make me laugh turned me into a beautiful, emotional wreck, and it was all worth it.

It's not perfect. Nothing is. But it's damn near perfect to me...

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Got bored of it by the end of the second season tbh. Never finished the 3rd season, might finish it if all the seasons are up on Netflix.

Really liked the first season.

Last edited:

Dermee

Dec 16, 2017
Haven't watched The Good Place, but Six Feet Under's finale messed me up pretty bad, cried for about 20 minutes... and I have never done that from a TV show before.

My wife and I are actually on our third run through it since it is free on HBO Go right now as part of their free movies and TV shows due to COVID.

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing tops the structure of the first season, and I think it kind of got lost in itself after the second season, but they did manage to pull something pretty thoughtful out of the whole series, even if it stopped being particularly funny halfway through (the all-Janets episode was a tour de force, though).

Oct 25, 2017
That shit was both beautiful and heartbreaking, when
Chidi realizes it's time for him to go
it's just so bittersweet.

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Most series don't get this kind of perfect resolution. My girlfriend didn't like it because "they all die and that is sad." but I pointed out how beautiful it was an how yes, they died but it was on their terms after spending as long as they wanted in paradise. It also shows that even with heaven you can't escape the inevitability of death but you can still understand life as a thing of beauty.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I was straight up sobbing. probably the best ending to a show that I've seen in a loooong time.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Did not enjoy the beginning of the last season at all, but glad I stuck with it. Fore sure one of the best season finales for me ever

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Probably the best TV show in the past few years (better than Mr Robot, and I loved that show), if for no other reason than it was an antithesis to a lot of the cynicism that pervades TV today. It was this honest, heartfelt show that just felt so different than anything out there.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The "waves" speech broke me, but it also helped me feel way more at peace about death.

Well done finale.

Take it sleazy.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I loved how they portrayed the feeling that they were ready to go. It was this calm, peaceful feeling of fulfillment, and they just knew that was it. Even chidi explaining the moment to eleanor, his mother wiping eleanor's face, is awesome, its different for everyone.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I thought season 1 was good, season 2 was great (the 2nd episode is one of my favorite episodes of TV ever), season 3 was uneven but had a lot of great moments, and season 4 was a mess. I didn't like season's 4 storyline (I kept waiting for a twist that would fix it that never came), I didn't think it was very funny (the giraffe was great though), and it simultaneously felt like they were rushing things in order to hit the story beats, while taking too long on uninteresting parts. I also thought the idea of heaven being a really long, mind-numbing vacation until you eventually can't take it any longer and kill yourself was an incredibly misguided way to end such a (previously) clever show.

They also did a complete character assassination on Simone in season 4 which is a shame since she rocked in season 3.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Have really tried to enjoy it because an afterlife premise with twists intrigues me but after two episodes I just don't find it funny at all. It's just a chore for me to get through. I might give it one more episode and then read the plot summary on Wikipedia.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Why do people feel the need to tell us how much you hated the show when the topic is about the series finale

Like...move on. No one needs to hear about how much you didn't like it

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I really loved The Good Place and think they landed the ending but for a show that I enjoyed as much as I did, I can't say I found the ending too emotional. Somebody else here mentioned Mr. Robot which is a drama and complete apples and oranges, but I'd agree that that show had one of the most emotional endings I've watched.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
The wave returns to the ocean.

Call me a sap, but it actually wasn't the ending that got me the most out of any moment in the series.

l1fys9k6za341.jpg

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I thought it was too sugarcoated to hit hard. Bojack Horseman tackled mortality in a much more realistic way.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Avidly watched the first three seasons and intended to binge watch all of season four when it went up on Hulu, but they only left up about five episodes at a time before dropping the oldest ones.

Currently waiting for it to hit Netflix.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
I also thought the idea of heaven being a really long, mind-numbing vacation until you eventually can't take it any longer and kill yourself was an incredibly misguided way to end such a (previously) clever show.
Wait, this seems like a misread. The idea of the Good Place was that you're in a place where time has no meaning (Jeremy Bearimy, y'all) so you're in eternal paradise, doing whatever makes you happy forever. The problem is
that happiness is finite - there's only so many experiences/conversations you can have before you start repeating. No challenge, no end. That's what made the people who DID make it to the Good Place so mushy - they'd completely lost the concept of elation that comes with 'effort'. These were souls who had completed all they wanted to do, and were forced to hang around forever.

Until the Soul Squad come in, and give the option of 'walking through the door' whenever you feel your time is up and you feel ultimately fulfilled. It's not quite death but it is a loss of self, and walking through the door doesn't mean you just stop 'being'. Your soul scatters into the real world, sending out 'goodness' and leading people on the right path to make it into the Good Place themselves (ala the mailman at the end).

I thought the ending was surprisingly poignant, especially considering they could've easily ended it an episode earlier. It was a wonderful epilogue to the show.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Wait, this seems like a misread. The idea of the Good Place was that you're in a place where time has no meaning (Jeremy Bearimy, y'all) so you're in eternal paradise, doing whatever makes you happy forever. The problem is
that happiness is finite - there's only so many experiences/conversations you can have before you start repeating. No challenge, no end. That's what made the people who DID make it to the Good Place so mushy - they'd completely lost the concept of elation that comes with 'effort'. These were souls who had completed all they wanted to do, and were forced to hang around forever.

Until the Soul Squad come in, and give the option of 'walking through the door' whenever you feel your time is up and you feel ultimately fulfilled. It's not quite death but it is a loss of self, and walking through the door doesn't mean you just stop 'being'. Your soul scatters into the real world, sending out 'goodness' and leading people on the right path to make it into the Good Place themselves (ala the mailman at the end).

I thought the ending was surprisingly poignant, especially considering they could've easily ended it an episode earlier. It was a wonderful epilogue to the show.

It just felt like this concept of heaven is so fundamentally different than my concept of heaven that it rubbed me the wrong way. And that kind of thing was great for comedy (look at the afterlife! it's a big bureaucracy run by people who don't know what they're doing!), but it didn't work for me when they tried to go deep or sentimental.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Might seem like an odd choice but the last third of Parasyte: The Maxim hit me really hard. Watched it during a particularly trying time in my life and a lot of the themes explored in those episodes changed how I viewed my own life.

The OST was fantastic as well.

VGEsoterica

Dec 10, 2019
It was a legit solid ending. One of the best in recent memory. I was worried they'd blow it somehow considering great shows a lot of times get terrible endings. Not this time

Oct 27, 2017
Always and forever, Blackadder Goes Forth. Fucking heartwrenching shit. Also really, really makes me miss my dad now as we used to watch this together. Double whammy of tears.

www.youtube.com

Good Luck Everyone - Blackadder - BBC

Baldrick's cunning plan will have to wait as Blackadder and his troops go over the top in a poignant and powerful finale to the series. Subscribe to Comedy G...

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I are about 3.5 seasons through at the moment and we both love it. The jokes are consistently laugh out loud funny, and the characters are all totally lovable. I'm going to bow out of the thread to not get spoiled. Not sure how we're going to watch season 4. Waiting X amount of months for Netflix will be killer.

OP
OP
SixtyFourBlades

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I are about 3.5 seasons through at the moment and we both love it. The jokes are consistently laugh out loud funny, and the characters are all totally lovable. I'm going to bow out of the thread to not get spoiled. Not sure how we're going to watch season 4. Waiting X amount of months for Netflix will be killer.
This is strange to me to hear people saying they're waiting for it to hit Netflix. I guess the region where you live dictates this? Because where I live (Belize, Central America), the episodes came out on Netflix the day after it aired on cable. So that's how my wife and I watched the series. It used to air Thursdays on cable and then we would watch it Friday on Netflix. We already have the full series completed.