• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShinUltima

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Trinidad, West Indies
From a "True 3D Mario" perspective, I can understand being somewhat disappointed with SM3DW, since it's not Super Mario Galaxy 3.

But in the grand scheme of things, screw that noise. SM3DW is pure joy, especially in MP. First Mario I 100% beat since Super Mario World (which is still my favourite Mario game to date). I played it with two of my three kids (youngest was too young to play then) and, prior to Odyssey coming out, they would still play 3DW quite often. An absolute masterpiece.

So yeah: There's no correlation here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
3DWorld is still amazing today. Odyssey is really good but I hope "Course" based 3D Mario isn't done. People really have an ax to grind with that game lol.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely don't disagree with anything that you said here. Being a sequel to a 3DS game didn't help when trying to view 3D World as "the next big 3D Mario" I had been waiting for to succeed Galaxy.

And despite what I've said against it, I do think it's a really great game that accomplishes everything it sets out to do and is probably my fourth favorite after the Galaxies and Odyssey.
thumb-up-terminator+pablo+M+R.jpg

start

Oct 25, 2017
Ughhhh, I disagree so much on this. And the last thing 3D World is lacking is "charm," it's probably the most/second most charming Mario game ever.
It feels the most soulless Mario game to me, along the New Super Mario Bros series after the first one. But that doesn't mean they're bad, just below the high bar the past games have set before.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imo, 3D World is a masterpiece, one of the best plattformers Ive ever played. Love it to death. I would rather have 3D World 2 than Odyssey (have yet to touch my copy of Odyssey though).
3D World is a masterpiece of pure platforming design, but that doesn't mean Nintendo should keep making the same game over and over and expecting people to get excited. People lost their shit for BotW because it was different and because it was modern, and they wanted to see them do the same for Mario. Odyssey might not be the best Mario game in terms of polish and pure gameplay, but it's the right Mario game for right now.

Kage

Oct 27, 2017
If Nintendo's consoles performed based on the quality of their Mario titles then N64 would have steamrolled the PS1, and WiiU would have performed far better than it did as 3D World was well renowned mostly.

Oct 27, 2017
3D World is a masterpiece of pure platforming design, but that doesn't mean Nintendo should keep making the same game over and over and expecting people to get excited. People lost their shit for BotW because it was different and because it was modern, and they wanted to see them do the same for Mario. Odyssey might not be the best Mario game in terms of polish and pure gameplay, but it's the right Mario game for right now.

Mario 3D World might not be the best example for your "making the same game over and over" argument. In fact, it's a pretty bad example considering it's pretty damn different than any of the previous Mario titles.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It maybe would make sense of 3D World wasn't an amazing game. Local Co-op on that game is delightful.

Unfortunately, I've never played Sunshine. Can't talk about it.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's about Mario at all, but about having a strong flagship title at launch.

NES had SMB
SNES had SMW
N64 had SM64
Gamecube had no strong title
Wii had Twilight Princess (or Wii Sports if you will)
Wii U had no strong title
Switch had Breath of the Wild

Notice how the systems with that did not have a strong desired launch title did not fare so well.

The N64 is an anomaly because it launched with one of the strongest games ever, but it had many many many months of no games. I remember magazine reports of people returning (or selling) the N64 to stores after beating SM64 and buying a Playstation, which by that time it had already started to pick up real momentum with titles like Resident Evil and Square's deflection from Nintendo to Sony.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mario 3D World might not be the best example for your "making the same game over and over" argument. In fact, it's a pretty bad example considering it's pretty damn different than any of the previous Mario titles.
It's just 3D Land with bigger/better levels... And 3D Land was pretty much a mix of Mario Galaxy and NSMB. It was a deliberate throwback, so it doesn't really tick that "modern" box that Nintendo needs right now. I don't think it was a bad move, but I do think Odyssey is going to be a much better system seller than 3DW2 would have been,

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This logic is kind of shaky, but it is interesting that Sunshine and 3D World are my two least favorite 3D Marios and those are the two worst Nintendo consoles.

Funny coincidence, I guess.

OP
OP
perfectchaos007

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I stand by my comment that 3D World was essentially a beefed up 3D Land. isometric block formatting and level design were pretty similar in many ways. 3D Land was a solid game though, but with a 90 metacritic score its the lowest rated of the mainline 3D mario games.

One last post from me to illustrate my point will utilize ResetEra's new text colors. Below are the 5 mainline mario games in ascending order from lowest metacritic to highest metacritic and below them are the console platforms they played on from lowest selling WW to highest selling WW. I color matched the game with its respective platform, but I had to remove the Switch/Odyssey because the Switch technically is the lowest selling console at this time (but I think we can all agree that wont be the case in a couple of years )

Sunshine, 3D World, SM64, Galaxy1&2
Wii U, GCN, N64, Wii

Oct 27, 2017
I stand by my comment that 3D World was essentially a beefed up 3D Land. isometric block formatting and level design were pretty similar in many ways. 3D Land was a solid game though, but with a 90 metacritic score its the lowest rated of the mainline 3D mario games.

One last post from me to illustrate my point will utilize ResetEra's new text colors. Below are the 5 mainline mario games in ascending order from lowest metacritic to highest metacritic and below them are the console platforms they played on from lowest selling WW to highest selling WW. I color matched the game with its respective platform, but I had to remove the Switch/Odyssey because the Switch technically is the lowest selling console at this time (but I think we can all agree that wont be the case in a couple of years )

Wii U, GCN, N64, Wii

Good lord, I can't believe you actually think this is a good argument.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru

Wii U, GCN, N64, Wii

... What?

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017

Wii U, GCN, N64, Wii
Again, what 3D World was and the quality is irrelevant imo as far as the Wii U's success went. You really think the Wii U would have done much better if it had a traditional 3D Mario game? Because I really don't think so, the system had a lot of other issues.

stone1024

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
You make some good points, but the N64 wasn't really considered a success, not compared to the sales of the SNES and def not compared to the Playstation (N64: 33 million, SNES 49 million, Playstation 104 million). GC did indeed sell less than the N64 at 22 million

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
you calling sunshine and 3d world mediocre just completely nuked your argument my man