• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
So for the longest time ive put off getting an hdr 4k tv. But for black friday i got a small 43 inch tv for my room because i live with my friends. I got the samsung nu6900 and the first thing i did was turn on hdr and i was blown away by how good it looked.

Now i need more HDR showcase games. Any suggestions?

Mostly pc games. dont really have a 4k console

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I need a better tv. I have a Sony 43X800D. HDR looks washed out no matter what settings are recommended to me by people. I've spent countless hours trying to get it to look good, and can't do it.

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
I think i'm about to bite the bullet and buy a 4k TV too.

Thinking of a 6 series Samsung, on sale at best buy.

dont even have a 4k console yet either but i'll be good for next year.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
600 nits is the minimum you'd need for decent HDR, though there's other things you can benefit from like the wider colour gamut.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I think that's one of the lower-end 4k TVs, but yeah it's still a pretty nice upgrade.

Also what 4k content are you watching, blu-rays?

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll really be on OP for not getting a HDR TV that's not 600 nits minimum yikes.

I bought the same TV too OP, and I agree, HDR is a pretty big change.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
first post immediately shits on the OPs purchase

classic ERA XD

Eh, I think it's good that people point it out. There's a LOT of misleading advertising for 4k TVs.

To answer the OP's question, I've heard Tomb Raider's HDR is impressive, but PC doesn't have as many HDR games as consoles.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
600 nits is the minimum you'd need for decent HDR, though there's other things you can benefit from like the wider colour gamut.
this particular TV doesn't have wcg ;)

Sorry OP, my first hdr TV was a budget Samsung like this one, 4k sdr was fine but hdr never looked right.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
first post immediately shits on the OPs purchase

classic ERA XD

don't mean to shit on the purchase! it's a perfectly fine TV for most things, but a lot of sub-$500 "HDR" TVs support HDR in name only (aka, they can accept an HDR signal and that's about it) and simply do not have the peak brightness or contrast ratios (or, in some cases, even proper wide color or 10-bit support) to deliver an actual high dynamic range image. not the OP's fault at all, the TV manufacturers are deliberately misleading people on this point.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Ya'll really be on OP for not getting a HDR TV that's not 600 nits minimum yikes.

I bought the same TV too OP, and I agree, HDR is a pretty big change.

It's a massive problem with HDR marketing right now, why do you think there are so many posts here saying they can't see a difference? Every 4K TV under the sun has HDR branding but half of them can barely get past 200-300 nits which is nowhere near bright enough for proper HDR.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
Your TV doesn't even have HDR OP, all it does is accept an HDR signal.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
It's a massive problem with HDR marketing right now, why do you think there are so many posts here saying they can't see a difference? Every 4K TV under the sun has HDR branding but half of them can barely get past 200-300 bits which is nowhere near bright enough for proper HDR.
I know it's a huge issue but I decided to buy the same TV anyways because I'm not going to drop an additional $600+ just to have proper HDR support when there are more important factors for me.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
If the faux-hdr TVs don't get bright enough, then what is the improvement the OP is seeing? Is it just placebo, or a difference in settings between SDR and HDR (eg. higher contrast and/or color)

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I know it's a huge issue but I decided to buy the same TV anyways because I'm not going to drop an additional $600+ just to have proper HDR support when there are more important factors for me.

There's nothing wrong with that but don't come in and cry about people pointing out that 300nits isn't really HDR when it's just facts.

OP
OP
Tahnit

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
It's a massive problem with HDR marketing right now, why do you think there are so many posts here saying they can't see a difference? Every 4K TV under the sun has HDR branding but half of them can barely get past 200-300 nits which is nowhere near bright enough for proper HDR.

I loaded up destiny 2. i can DEFINITELY see a difference. its night and day.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I know little about HDR, but God of War on PS4 Pro looks damn nice with HDR enabled.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
If the faux-hdr TVs don't get bright enough, then what is the improvement the OP is seeing? Is it just placebo, or a difference in settings between SDR and HDR?

Placebo and high contrast most likely, some of the faux-HDR tvs come shipped with super high contrast and colour settings.

The most common analogue to this situation is probably the "HD Ready" tvs back in the mid 2000s when they would come with resolutions lower than 720p but would accept a 720P+ signal and scale it.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the faux-hdr TVs don't get bright enough, then what is the improvement the OP is seeing? Is it just placebo, or a difference in settings between SDR and HDR?
an HDR signal is going to expect a brighter and wider dynamic range and color gamut + depth than the TV actually has, so what these sorts of TVs do is tonemap the HDR signal to their essentially-SDR output. in doing so this may result in an image with more saturated colors or higher contrast in a way similar to just bumping up the saturation or contrast on the TV, which some people may find aesthetically pleasing even if it's not accurate to the source image.

OP
OP
Tahnit

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
an HDR signal is going to expect a brighter and wider dynamic range and color gamut + depth than the TV actually has, so what these sorts of TVs do is tonemap the HDR signal to their essentially-SDR output. in doing so this may result in an image with more saturated colors or higher contrast in a way similar to just bumping up the saturation or contrast on the TV, which some people may find aesthetically pleasing even if it's not accurate to the source image.

then find me a tv in the same price range and size with better hdr and ill take this one back.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Ever since I got my OLED I don't even care about 4K. Give me HDR
Hah, thats how I feel about my parents LG OLED. 4k wasn't that big for me, a little clearer and sharper picture, sure, but HDR is where I was blown away. Forza Horizon 4 PC looked soo good VS with HDR off.

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
if you're interested in HDR, then it's not really pretending. it is what it is.
Im coming from a 1080p TV I got in 2010 with zero HDR and Im still more than satisfied with it.

Think i'll be alright with faux HDR, 5 hundred something is really the most I can afford to drop on a TV anyhow

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I've never really seen the true benefit of HDR and im always fiddling with settings to make sure it's set up right.

I've got a cheap TCL Roku set which id imagine for the price is not true HDR or whatever.

If also has some weird issues of switching back from hdr to non hdr and having super dark menus / UI.

One day maybe, but not today

NU6900 only hits like 300 nits brightness, you still ain't even seen proper HDR

Don't yuck someone else's yum

Last edited:

itspapagreg

Oct 25, 2017
Nah OP. You need a $3000 4K HDR to REALLY understand what this all means. /s

Enjoy your TV, dude. HDR is dope

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Samsung does a very good job with HDR. Never had any problems with either of my units. You made a good purchase OP.

OP
OP
Tahnit

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
looking on amazon and i cant find a single tv in the 40-43 inch range that has decent HDR. seems like "true" hdr or whatever is for your bigass panels and Oleds.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
The Death Stranding HDR test from the main menu showed me the difference, and I was astonished.

But I honestly wouldn't have noticed it if it hadn't been pointed out.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
What TV marketing firm do you work for?

Huh?

It's just one of those things. If you have a friend who tells you "omg I just got a new car and it has heated seats! It's amazing I've always wanted to experience heated seats and now finally I get to have it!!!" And then you respond to their enthusiasm with "bro you have a Civic I wouldn't even consider their seat heaters 'heated'" it's just a way to make someone feel bad about their enthusiasm.

Like, when someone is excited about something, it's bad taste to shit on what excited them. At least there's ways to say "your hdr sucks and mine is the best hdr" that aren't as douchey as the first reply. General life advice, don't go around yucking someone's yum.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
14549_500.jpg

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
Huh?

It's just one of those things. If you have a friend who tells you "omg I just got a new car and it has heated seats! It's amazing I've always wanted to experience heated seats and now finally I get to have it!!!" And then you respond to their enthusiasm with "bro you have a Civic I wouldn't even consider their seat heaters 'heated'" it's just a way to make someone feel bad about their enthusiasm.

Like, when someone is excited about something, it's bad taste to shit on what excited them. At least there's ways to say it that aren't as douchey.

It's more like "bro, you don't actually have heated seats, you just have the ability to install heated seats, also while you can install heated seats the car can't actually power them enough to make it warm".

OP got tricked by marketing BS, people should be calling this out and making other people aware.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Im coming from a 1080p TV I got in 2010 with zero HDR and Im still more than satisfied with it.

Think i'll be alright with faux HDR, 5 hundred something is really the most I can afford to drop on a TV anyhow
it is indeed a fine tv for the price.

the title of the being "I have seen the light of HDR at last" is why the conversation has gone this way.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's more like "bro, you don't actually have heated seats, you just have the ability to install heated seats, also while you can install heated seats the car can't actually power them enough to make it warm".

OP got tricked by marketing BS, people should be calling this out and making other people aware.

In the thread there's two types of people... People who look at the first reply and think "ugh what an embarrassing response," and then the other type is

"WELL AAAAACKKTUALLLLY..."

there's a way to not shit on someone's enthusiasm while still informing other people about your technical know how. When I said to "not yuck someone's yum," that's apparently ... Doing marketing work for ... Tv companies.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
In the thread there's two types of people... People who look at the first reply and think "ugh what an embarrassing response," and then the other type is

"WELL AAAAACKKTUALLLLY..."

there's a way to not shit on someone's enthusiasm while still informing other people about your technical know how. When I said to "not yuck someone's yum," that's apparently ... Doing marketing work for ... Tv companies.

But you're actively encouraging misleading information and companies that take advantage of people who aren't technically informed. That's not "yucking people's yum" or whatever you say to make yourself feel better about taking advantage of others.

The reason people responded the way they did was because OP made a grand statement about HDR while having a TV that does not display HDR, only accepts an HDR signal and tonemaps. That's a very important distinction.

I'll never understand why some people shit on those who try to help.

Bishop

Nov 1, 2017
I loaded up destiny 2. i can DEFINITELY see a difference. its night and day.
Do you have HDR+, Contrast Enhancer turned on and maybe the picture mode in Dynamic?

I ask because I have an 40 inch MU6300 in the bedroom, and with all those "enhancers" turned off, the TV gets extremely dark when an HDR signal is sent to it. I don't use those enhancers in that set, so I disable HDR as SDR gives me the better experience. Enjoy your set as you like though.

Premium HDR starts with the 49 inch sets, think of the Sony X900F for example. They just don't include true HDR for TV sets in the 40 inch to 43 inch range. unfortunately the option is not there for TV's in those sizes.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The main reason we're pointing this out is because of the thread title, not because we just want to shit on the OP's purchase.