• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
49-55inch is the smallest size you can get for decent HDR sets, no one bothers making higher end sub 43inch TVs because they're very small for today's standards (and too small to really see 4K properly).

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoy your TV man, it's great for the price. Feel free to ask advice in the TV thread here if you ever want to buy a main TV and have a bigger budget.

What tv do you recommend for OP and people like me? Let's keep it to this thread rather than having to hunt and pick other threads, bec
But you're actively encouraging misleading information and companies that take advantage of people who aren't technically informed. That's not "yucking people's yum" or whatever you say to make yourself feel better about taking advantage of others.

The reason people responded the way they did was because OP made a grand statement about HDR while having a TV that does not display HDR, only accepts an HDR signal and tonemaps. That's a very important distinction.

I'll never understand why some people shit on those who try to help.

Im not actively encouraging anything other than just not being a douche. The first reply -- the one I replied to which offended you -- was not helpful at all, it came off as snarky and condescending.

OP
OP
Tahnit

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have HDR+, Contrast Enhancer turned on and maybe the picture mode in Dynamic?

I ask because I have an 40 inch MU6300 in the bedroom, and with all those "enhancers" turned off, the TV gets extremely dark when an HDR signal is sent to it. I don't use those enhancers in that set, so I disable HDR as SDR gives me the better experience. Enjoy your set as you like though.

Premium HDR starts with the 49 inch sets, think of the Sony X900F for example. They just don't include true HDR for TV sets in the 40 inch to 43 inch range. unfortunately the option is not there for TV's in those sizes.

then why even bitch about the fact that i dont have true HDR when its not an option? For my little bedroom this is perfectly fine.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
then why even bitch about the fact that i dont have true HDR when its not an option? For my little bedroom this is perfectly fine.

It's your thread title as mentioned before. People just pointing out that you're not even close to seeing the potential of the technology.

You might want to read up on a guide for Windows 10 HDR because it's pretty flaky still on PC.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
So for the longest time ive put off getting an hdr 4k tv. But for black friday i got a small 43 inch tv for my room because i live with my friends. I got the samsung nu6900 and the first thing i did was turn on hdr and i was blown away by how good it looked.

Now i need more HDR showcase games. Any suggestions?

Mostly pc games. dont really have a 4k console

Just a heads up the base PS4 does HDR fine, you don't need the Pro to enjoy HDR. Not sure about on the X1 side. HDR on PC has been kind of a crapshoot for me personally, but I thought Far Cry 5 looked pretty nice with it turned on. I would say RDR2, but not sure if it supports HDR on PC.

Regardless, enjoy your new toy op!

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019

Because you were the one who made a thread title about "seeing the light", that's a strong proclamation without any research on your part.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
Im not actively encouraging anything other than just not being a douche. The first reply -- the one I replied to which offended you -- was not helpful at all, it came off as snarky and condescending.

This sentence:

NU6900 only hits like 300 nits brightness, you still ain't even seen proper HDR

Is not snarky or condescending. What are you reading?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
This sentence:

NU6900 only hits like 300 nits brightness, you still ain't even seen proper HDR

Is not snarky or condescending. What are you reading?

It's literally just a factual sentence but I guess if you're really defensive about it "proper HDR" might be mildly condescending. I'm grasping at straws here mate.

Bishop

Nov 1, 2017
Just pointing out the differences you may be seeing may be do to the enhancers and not the HDR. I'm not sure if you have calibrated the TV yet, but if you did, then you should be seeing how dark HDR gets on these sets.

Again, enjoy the TV as you like, although those enhancers aren't great for input lag and the motion interpolation will make the rest of the shows and movies not look as intended. That's if you even have them turned on. It's a great price for the 4K picture quality and the overall quality, it's just not a true HDR output and you will have a better experience by setting it to SDR. It's your TV so enjoy your purchase just as you like.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:
OP
OP
Tahnit

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
i notice a difference. like..SD cant get to 300+ nits so i dont see what the big deal is. 300 looks good for what i paid.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
However, if the TV does accepts HDR signal and does a good SDR tone-mapping, at 300nits it should still look better than SDR.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
i notice a difference. like..SD cant get to 300+ nits so i dont see what the big deal is. 300 looks good for what i paid.

And that's fine OP. If you are seeing a difference, by all means, enjoy it!

However, I want to be transparent. If this is "seeing the light" in your case, then prepare to see a Supernova when you eventually see an actual 700-1000 nits display with wide color gamut and a good HDR game implementation (or Dolby Vision + OLED)

The whole experience can only improve, congrats on your purchase!

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
It's a massive problem with HDR marketing right now, why do you think there are so many posts here saying they can't see a difference? Every 4K TV under the sun has HDR branding but half of them can barely get past 200-300 nits which is nowhere near bright enough for proper HDR.
You are conflating some TVs that's genuinely do HDR poorly with all TVs bellow 600 nits doing HDR poorly.

I've got a KS8000 that gets to 1000 nits, and it delivers a great HDR picture. I also bought a Samsung 7100 this weekend, and I can say the 7100 does a respectable job with HDR, regardless of the nits count.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018

Download these demos, copy to a usb drive, plug to the one-connect box and enjoy.
😎

I've got a KS8000 that gets to 1000 nits, and it delivers a great HDR picture. I also bought a Samsung 7100 this weekend, and I can say the 7100 does a respectable job with HDR, regardless of the nits count.
I find KS8000 doing better HDR (without subtitles) than TCL P617 and on par with SONY X930E, which is kinda surprising.

Sincerest

Jan 22, 2018
I'm guessing those who get

SUPER DEFENSIVE

In this thread are the ones who got scammed by those Black Friday "HDR" TVs lol.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
300 nits is a lot when you compare to older TVs. I had a TV maybe 6 or 7 years old and a 4k Dell XPS, the difference in quality is huuuge. Now I've beem using my parents low end 4k (30fps, no HDR) TV and the difference to my Dell isnt huge anymore. Just like anything else a low end device today is way better than a low end device half a decade or more ago. It might not be the true HDR, but it is an improvement and it is great to see it. Enjoy your purchase OP! I've heard Infamous has good HDR implementation, in case you have it.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
If the faux-hdr TVs don't get bright enough, then what is the improvement the OP is seeing? Is it just placebo, or a difference in settings between SDR and HDR (eg. higher contrast and/or color)
SDR is intended to be viewed at 100 nits and with a smaller color gamut than HDR.
Going from 100 nits to 300 nits with a wide color gamut can still be a noticeable difference, even if it's not a proper representation of HDR.
But most people seem to watch SDR above the 100 nit spec, and the TV doesn't support P3 color, so whatever they're seeing is probably just some kind of image processing that is applied when it's fed an HDR signal.
It doesn't seem unreasonable to think that a good HDR conversion could be preferable to watching the native SDR output though, even if it's not a true HDR image.

7.7 for HDR gaming, seems decent to me.
RTINGS' reviews are full of great content, but their scoring system is worthless. Its high score is because the input latency is low when HDR is active, not because it does a good job of displaying HDR.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu6900 said:
The Samsung NU6900 is a good TV for HDR Gaming. This is due mainly to the very low input lag at 4k @ 60Hz + HDR and the fast response time that leaves only a little blur in fast action. Unfortunately, the TV cannot display HDR content as the director intended as it cannot get very bright and does not have a wide color gamut. Therefore, although it will be responsive when gaming in HDR content, the picture quality will not be what you would expect.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
If you have a PS4, Wipeout Omega Collection is a good game to see HDR highlights.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
From the reviews, this TV is decent and for the money it's actually pretty great. While his experience with HDR might be a placebo, it was still a massive jump over whatever he or she had before. So it's a win win for him.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I switched from an old 1080p TV to a 4K HDR TV while playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey, and the difference was absolutely astounding.
Definitely try AC Odyssey as well if you have the chance.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
And that's fine OP. If you are seeing a difference, by all means, enjoy it!

However, I want to be transparent. If this is "seeing the light" in your case, then prepare to see a Supernova when you eventually see an actual 700-1000 nits display with wide color gamut and a good HDR game implementation (or Dolby Vision + OLED)

The whole experience can only improve, congrats on your purchase!

I just got a 65" Q90R and can't tell the difference from my old non-hdr 46" 1080p screen :P then again i don't have them side by side to really see. Just playing off memory at this point.

OP
OP
Tahnit

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Just loaded up dmc v and it's amazing. The difference is night and day compared to my monitor. One day I'll get a good hdr monitor.

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
7.7 for HDR gaming, seems decent to me.

I guess I should have been more clear, the number is meaningless, you need to read the review and look at the brightness values and (lack of) local dimming.

"It can't get very bright and does not have a wide color gamut, so it cannot deliver good HDR performance."

I'm not trying to shit on OP or ruin his purchase, it's a great TV, it's just unfortunate that manufacturers have glommed onto "HDR" as a selling point without really spending the money to ... do HDR.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I just got a 65" Q90R and can't tell the difference from my old non-hdr 46" 1080p screen :P then again i don't have them side by side to really see. Just playing off memory at this point.

It may depend on some conditions. Sadly, HDR standardization is a mess at this stage.

Since your TV is a high end HDR LCD, you may be trying to map to something like this:
  • Old TV (non HDR) - SDR content vs New TV (HDR) - SDR content
  • Old TV (non HDR) - SDR content vs New TV (HDR) - HDR content
If you are comparing the current SDR output with your previous SDR memory then yeah, it would probably be pretty close. But non HDR to HDR is this gen revolution (over 4K) so you may be having other issues:

• TV: non calibrated SDR and HDR modes for movies or games (for movie/streams or games)
  • Content: the actual content you are trying may not be the best in HDR (movies, games, etc.)
  • Other devices: the "in-game" HDR calibration, or the device HDR calibration (PS4, Fire Stick 4k, Windows, etc.), may be incorrectly setup.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
looking on amazon and i cant find a single tv in the 40-43 inch range that has decent HDR. seems like "true" hdr or whatever is for your bigass panels and Oleds.

it is true that in the 43" space your options are limited. The best would be a Samsung q6 and then slightly behind that would be a vizio m or tcl 5 series. All of them wide color gamut. Only the Samsung hits even over 500 nits iirc. The tcl and the vizio are like 400 nits. The tcl is a bit tricky because rtings only measures in tcls "dark Dolby vision" mode when there's a normal and bright dv setting that is brighter and you can offset the contrast and blue tint changes those modes introduce. They did measure normal hdr at 374 nits. Eyeballing it bright hdr seems at least a another hundred nits over normal as the dark hdr is only 300 or so nits. Also hdr 10 stuff seems brighter than dv stuff in general. So it might actually be a 500-600 nit set, there just aren't any comprehensive measurements.

I just got the tcl s525 43" and I'm very impressed with it. It's nearly as good as my b7 oled.

this 600 nit stuff is hogwash. You can still get a good hdr effect with wcg and even 300-400 nits. You just might miss out a bit in the 2% and 10% highlights, which while important, isn't the only thing going on with hdr. Even without wcg Samsung is doing something to improve just a regular 4K image so chill out people.

Last edited:

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
As they said your TV doesn't even support real HDR, your is just a placebo effect or something, i also have an LG 29WK600 Ultra Wide monitor which is marketed as HDR but really doesn't have the specs to display it fully, indeed on my PC with HDR on and HDR content it has blurrier image, washed colors and lower brightness compared to HDR off, so i never use it and i'd rather have it in standard mode

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I need a better tv. I have a Sony 43X800D. HDR looks washed out no matter what settings are recommended to me by people. I've spent countless hours trying to get it to look good, and can't do it.
I have the 49X800D. The reason is the peak brightness is only at 380 nits for the TV. Some HDR content requires much more. I've tried spending ages as well. I have a x900f and there's a difference in brightness (1000 nits) and HDR looks much more impressive. Just read it's also because of local dimming zones which X800D didn't have.

OP
OP
Tahnit

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
it is true that in the 43" space your options are limited. The best would be a Samsung q6 and then slightly behind that would be a vizio m or tcl 5 series. All of them wide color gamut. Only the Samsung hits even over 500 nits iirc. The tcl and the vizio are like 400 nits. The tcl is a bit tricky because rtings only measures in tcls "dark Dolby vision" mode when there's a normal and bright dv setting that is brighter and you can offset the contrast and blue tint changes those modes introduce. They did measure normal hdr at 374 nits. Eyeballing it bright hdr seems at least a another hundred nits over normal as the dark hdr is only 300 or so nits. Also hdr 10 stuff seems brighter than dv stuff in general. So it might actually be a 500-600 nit set, there just aren't any comprehensive measurements.

I just got the tcl s525 43" and I'm very impressed with it. It's nearly as good as my b7 oled.

this 600 nit stuff is hogwash. You can still get a good hdr effect with wcg and even 300-400 nits. You just might miss out a bit in the 2% and 10% highlights, which while important, isn't the only thing going on with hdr. Even without wcg Samsung is doing something to improve just a regular 4K image so chill out people.

should i return the samsung and go with the tcl? samsung doesnt have the wide color gamut. is the tcl brighter?

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
should i return the samsung and go with the tcl? samsung doesnt have the wide color gamut. is the tcl brighter?

honestly up to you. depends if you want to deal with the hassle and spending a bit more, and if you like the roku smart platform or Samsung. If you're happy with your set be happy with it.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow my X900F already hurts my eyes when there is a sun or a white loading screen
Imagine a 2400 nit screen damn

The great thing about nits that high is when you're playing a game with decent HDR, like Assassins Creed Odyssey, coming out of a cave and having the sun shine in your face makes it really seem like the real sun is shining in your face.