• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Turbowaffles

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's to check if I have sleep apnea and how severe it is. But the problem is, I can't really sleep good ANYWHERE except for my own bed in my own home. How the hell am I supposed to give them accurate data sleeping in a foreign room on a foreign bed with all kinds of wires and stuff attached to me?

Anybody here have a sleep study done and how did the experience go for you?

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
They have home machines now. That's how I did mine 3 months ago. It's super uncomfortable with all these wires hanging around but they just needed 3-4 hours continuous so that worked out fine.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I did the exact thing you're talking about and they lent me the equipment to use at home.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
They really only need you to sleep for a couple hours to get the data they need. I had a sleep study done many years back and I had the same concern.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Keep in mind that these devices are designed to be used by human beings, and particularly those who are bad at sleeping. Yes, a lot of people toss and turn in their sleep. A lot of people have trouble falling asleep in the first place. A lot of people wake up suddenly in a manner that might dislodge various sensors and wires.

It's fine. They're not going to throw the data out if something goes wrong. As I understand it sleep apnea is pretty obvious if you can get even just a few hours of halfway decent sleep.

Shoot, when I took it, they gave me the home kit, which meant that my dog was in my bed that night. When we woke up she'd gotten all tangled in the wires. It was super cute. Data was still fine.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
They'll give you a sleeping pill to knock you out, if you want it. That's what they did with I had a sleep study done.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
You don't get as much data with the home equipment, personally I'd want to do it at the lab to get the best info possible (unless your insurance will only cover the home test). My wife just did one in the lab, she said it was a lot easier than she thought it would be. Quiet and dark.

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017
It's to check if I have sleep apnea and how severe it is. But the problem is, I can't really sleep good ANYWHERE except for my own bed in my own home. How the hell am I supposed to give them accurate data sleeping in a foreign room on a foreign bed with all kinds of wires and stuff attached to me?

This is kind of the point though. Like if you have that much trouble sleeping, it's going to become super apparent. Also, I can't help but feel that the sleep science may actually make it easier for you to sleep. Consider this, beds have different feels, and certain feels may be better or worse for certain people. What if they know the best time to give you a meal? Ultimately, Don't stress out, because that is going to make it worse, and remember, science is about patterns. There's probably a lot of people like you, that make you a data group, and so your results will be accurate insofar as they already contain the correction from you being uncomfortable when you are not in your own bed.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC

My mom is doing the same thing in a few weeks. They're having her do hers from home. All she has to do is pick up the equipment from the doctors office.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Most companies send a kit to your home and you do it from your bed. That's what mine was two years ago. Super easy to work with imo, and its gave me good results.

Found out I had moderate sleep apnea. Always had trouble sleeping since a child and never was tested for this until 2 years ago.

Darth Karja

Oct 25, 2017
They plan for most people to not sleep very well, and the machines they use to measure you can account for it. I had two done a couple weeks ago, and it was hard to sleep with 21 wires attached to your head, chest, arms and legs.

My wife got to do an at home one. Hers was much simpler.