• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I know Crimes of Grindelwald made some misteps, ones fans rightly criticize such as the exposition dumps and pacing, and ones we have yet to see are true mistakes, as I don't believe JK would introduce Mcgonogall without knowing her birth date, and believe there's more to it such as possible time turner shenanigans.

I know it's the cool things to shit on Rowling but she's still an accomplished author with her latest novel gaining critical praise. Its clear she needs to up her screen play game though and pace things out better, as CoG had the makings of a good story, yet felt rushed. And I hope she's learning for FB3.

Anyway, the main reason I'm hoping the franchise succeeds is Newt himself. He's a different hero than the current ones in hollywood, one perhaps more relatable. I love Marvel movies as much as the next guy, but not every hero needs to be a witty buff guy.

I see Newt as autistic in a way, shown by his mannerisms, social anxiety and awareness and his love for animals make him such a charming character. His and Tinas romance is cute, awkward and feels real. His friendship with Jacob is touching and they compliment each other, having the the things the other doesn't.

I know people see FB as nothing more than a cash grab, but JK wanted it doing right ensuring Warner Bros knew about Newt and his history. He's one of my favourite characters in recent times, nd believe the strong cast of supporting characters can really flourish if given the appropriate pacing. Plus the beasts themselves are awesome, well designed, and have a ton of personality.

I believe if the series just focuses on the already established characters and put more emphasis on Newt and his beasts it will be something great.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
I love Newt and he derseves a better series and author than JK.
Just make small stakes adventures movies about him travelling around the world after Fantastic Beats, it´s not that hard

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really loved the first movie and I agree with you. They need to make the 3rd one much smaller and focus on the magical beasts. Theres just something great about the first one that the second one lacks.

I hope they make the right steps for FB3. JK is a damn good writer.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
All I hope is that the Grindelwald v Dumbledore fight delivers to be honest.

But yeah, something more FB1 and less FB2 in focus/character would be great for sure.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
FB would be much better off if it had focused on Newt and the beasts instead of more Dumbledore lore.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I believe if the series just focuses on the already established characters and put more emphasis on Newt and his beasts it will be something great.
This I agree. I also hope they find more success. Newt is great, but I dont like Tina for some reason. Jacob is a great character.
As for the movies, I really wish they focus on the animals a little bit more for now on. There is so much potential when Newt visits and talks about Animals, that I wish the focus was exclusively on them at times.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I want it to succeed too. But I also want David yates, Johnny Depp, and more and more, JK Rowling, off the project.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
At this point, the FB series needs a lot of work to even approach the level of quality I'd want out of an HP follow-up. CoW took the tiny amount of goodwill the first film was able to conjure, and just obliterated it in a fever of bad CGI, awful performances, and a story that genuinely went nowhere.

Get Yates & Rowling far away from the project as possible, wrap up the loose ends that remain in quick (and cheap) fashion - and find a new storyline to play with ASAP. It's the only way the 'Wizarding World" survives the next decade.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wish it succeeded twice now...not sure how much more I can take. I will say the art direction and costuming is absolutely unparalleled though.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
they just need to get rowling as far away from it as possible, because she made it god awful in CoG

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I agree with most in this thread, everything good about Fantastic Beasts is completely muted by the constant high-stakes magic Nazi bullshit that has nothing to do with Fantastic Beasts (nor does it have any advice on where to find them).

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
No interest in this prequels and I love the books.

JK Rowling being a TERF doesn't make me want this to succeed

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I watched the second movie last weekend and I was literally shocked to see that it was nothing but a build up to the third movie.

Of course, movies lead into each other if there will be a series, but god damn it felt like the sole purpose of that movie was to just let me know that I need to watch the third one. There wasn't much to discuss after the movie besides, "Hmm I wonder if this evil guy is lying about the kid's identity" and "I wonder when she gets stuck in her snake form."

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
JK's a TERF, Depp's a piece of shit, and the actual on-screen stuff is in no way near good enough to justify the terrible stuff from the big people behind it being swept under the rug for its continued benefit

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Just wait until Newt travels to a country that's not part of the Anglosphere. Things are gonna get real cringey real fast.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they don't make any more they were pretty awful, the second one was worse than many netflix/syfy originals

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I watched the second movie last weekend and I was literally shocked to see that it was nothing but a build up to the third movie.

Of course, movies lead into each other if there will be a series, but god damn it felt like the sole purpose of that movie was to just let me know that I need to watch the third one. There wasn't much to discuss after the movie besides, "Hmm I wonder if this evil guy is lying about the kid's identity" and "I wonder when she gets stuck in her snake form."
Nagini going from 'Fuck Grindelwald' to being Voldemort's beloved pet is hilarious.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I liked the first but the best part by far is always NEWT and his FANTASTIC BEASTS, which took a stupid backseat in CoG for stupid Dumbledore backstory (and I'm including Credence since whether or not it's a fakeout, he's now one of them). I need more Planet Earth: Fantastic Beasts and less "we are expanding the wizarding world but oh look everyone is still related to everyone else you already knew! oh yeah and newt is somewhere here too"

OP
OP
Sea lion

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Nagini going from 'Fuck Grindelwald' to being Voldemort's beloved pet is hilarious.
Because we know how it happens and everything.
She'll introduce Mcgonagall's gay Brazilian cousin who will be the worst caricature you've seen in years.
Oh yeah haha because she made a major, well written, and powerful character gay haha. Without any hints at all in the last book.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I would love for it to be successful but my god was was Crimes of Grindlewald bad. Like really bad with no respect for the canon.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
The worst thing about CoG, imo, is how they handled Queenie. Turned her from a sweet scatter brain into an idiot who messes with her boyfriend's mind and descends into fits of anger...she's completely different to the endearing character from the first. I also think that Johnny Depp sucks as the villain, and they should've stuck with Colin Farrell.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
The worst thing about CoG, imo, is how they handled Queenie. Turned her from a sweet scatter brain into an idiot who messes with her boyfriend's mind and descends into fits of anger...she's completely different to the endearing character from the first. I also think that Johnny Depp sucks as the villain, and they should've stuck with Colin Farrell.
the true crime in CoG is what they do to the female characters. All of them are bad, Tina being mad with Newt because a gossip magazine is pathetic, Queenie is just a character murder, Nagini is pointless and Leta pretty much only exist to create tension between Newt and his brother

OP
OP
Sea lion

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Just because Mcgonagall showed up years before she was born didn't mean that they didn't care about the canon!
You really think Rowling didn't look at her notes before adding such an important character? She's likely using a time Turner to help Dumbledore, she has a suspicious look chain around her neck in a deleted scene. Give the movies a chance to explain .

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I hope WB don't drive every fantasy property they've got into the ground, it's nice to have futile hopes.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
the true crime in CoG is what they do to the female characters. All of them are bad, Tina being mad with Newt because a gossip magazine is pathetic, Queenie is just a character murder, Nagini is pointless and Leta pretty much only exist to create tension between Newt and his brother
The assassination of Queenie's character was so sad. I like her in 1 but they ruined her in 2.
You really think Rowling didn't look at her notes before adding such an important character? She's likely using a time Turner to help Dumbledore, she has a suspicious look chain around her neck in a deleted scene. Give the movies a chance to explain .
I started howling at work when I read this. Lol.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Just because Mcgonagall showed up years before she was born didn't mean that they didn't care about the canon!
well, that and it was more interesting that Dumbledore couldn't fight Grindlewald for personal reasons than magical reasons.

They could have done such interesting things. I love the idea of Nagini being good but she is spent alone until Voldemort can speak to her, but felt like her character was kinda pointless.

I want to love a Harry Potter movie with Grindlewald as the villain. Its really interesting as a "World war 1" movie but I haven't liked this whole Newt thing. The movie should have focused on Dumbledore from the beginning

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
well, that and it was more interesting that Dumbledore couldn't fight Grindlewald for personal reasons than magical reasons.

They could have done such interesting things. I love the idea of Nagini being good but she is spent alone until Voldemort can speak to her, but felt like her character was kinda pointless.

I want to love a Harry Potter movie with Grindlewald as the villain. Its really interesting as a "World war 1" movie but I haven't liked this whole Newt thing. The movie should have focused on Dumbledore from the beginning
the movie should focused on Newt and his adventures or in the Grindlewald war. RIght not it´s like two different franchises glued together

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first one was amazing, loved all the funny little critters etc but the second one was so horrible I didn't even watch it to the end. It sucked so bad.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Grindlewald was awful. Which was a shame, since I enjoyed the first movie quite a bit. This movie was devoid of all the character and charm that made the first so appealing.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

Honestly I'm kind of enjoying watching the Potter fanbase go through their midi-chlorian denial/acceptance process. It's like a rite of nerd passage.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its gonna be a mammoth task to salvage a followup from the absolute trainwreck that was FB2. Even the most hardcore Harry Potter fans thought movie was a lackluster turd at best.

Sadly with the way Rowling is going about these things and how the production dealt with them leaves me feeling that things are not going to get better after the second film. At best this thing stumbles along till they decide to put it out its misery with a truncuated ending compared to what they were originally going for.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
CoG was so actively atrocious on so many fronts that I really can't care about anything else moving forward. I still love the first one, but the second one suffered so much from the lack of care in maintaining backstory, non-sensical character assassinations, and stupid plot contrivances to avoid "touchy" subjects that it is likely one of the worst movies I saw that year.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I hope it succeeds too. Fantastic Beasts has a really wonderful setting and cast, and I think Newt is an outstanding protagonist who serves as a strong, empathetic counterpoint to the more common hypermasculine hero types.

This series is Hobbit levels quality awful.
People here really overstate how bad the Hobbit movies were. I guess that's what happens when a series goes from once-in-a-century masterpieces (LotR) to merely good fantasy movies.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I was very pleasantly surprised by the first Fantastic Beasts, liked how it wasn't particularly tied into the rest of the Harry Potter stuff beyond Grindlewald being crammed in there.

But I haven't even watched the second one, everything over heard about it sounds terrible, from roping in way more Harry Potter prequel shit, to what it does to most of the characters, to just how poorly the movie seems to be put together.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Grindelwald was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. My GF is a massive HP fan and she decided to take a nap 40 minutes into it. Just an abysmal piece if shit all around.