• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Love the first movie and really liked the 2nd one.
Newt is the main reason why i like these movies so much.
And the niffler,omg i fell in love with the little bugger.
Well,i simply love all the beasts they've shown so far and their interaction with him.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I hope we get less bad movies too

This series is Hobbit levels quality awful.

Worse

You really think Rowling didn't look at her notes before adding such an important character? She's likely using a time Turner to help Dumbledore, she has a suspicious look chain around her neck in a deleted scene. Give the movies a chance to explain .

It was a fanservice cameo, I guess if you wanted to explain the age problem, you could say movie McGonagall is older than book McGonagall.

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I hope so too. I have enjoyed them so far. They are movies for children so I am able to look past some of the issues. I am a huge HP fan so I am just happy to see more things in that universe.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They need to give it room to exist as its own thing rather than feeling like a weird extension of the original stories. The Harry Potter universe is generally too well made to go back to the same small set of characters time and time again and in doing so it exposes the elements of the stories that don't quite line up right. That's what I liked about the original books and that's what I hoped these films would be but CoG especially wasn't that at all

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
They are no classic films by any stretch, but my god I love this universe and enjoyed them just for the visuals alone. Newt is indeed a cool character. I hope part 3 goes a bit upwards again. Biggest misstep was what they did to Queenie, they did to fix that somehow asap.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
First Fantastic Beasts movie was fine, but the second one was not good. The biggest problem is that it was a Fantastic Beasts movie when it should've just been a Wizarding World movie with maybe a Newt cameo. Newt and Newt's Friends shouldn't be the focus for this Grindelwald story.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I heard the second movie was bad, and then my loves-all-things-Harry-Potter girlfriend told me it was terrible, but I watched it anyways. She was right.

I too hope the series recovers and succeeds. I like Newt and his Beasts. But instead I got stuck watching bad melodrama in grey.

You really think Rowling didn't look at her notes before adding such an important character? She's likely using a time Turner to help Dumbledore, she has a suspicious look chain around her neck in a deleted scene. Give the movies a chance to explain .
I started choking on my lunch.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There were nuggets of interesting storylines in CoG and great cinematography but it was absolutely wasted.

The only thing that cheered me up was Newt's magical beasts scenes and the flashback with Leta.

Depp adds nothing to Grindelwald and I much preferred Colin Farrell's depiction of the character.

They also made the mistake of trying to make this grand plot without remembering that it took at least 5 books/films to build up to the war against Voldemort.

I hope they course correct but that also requires Yates and Rowling improving on their directing and scriptwriting skills and I'm not sure that is possible lol

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I never hope something fails, that's a silly thing to do.

Crimes of Grindelwald was really, really bad though. It didn't make 'a few missteps', it made almost all of them. The plot was bland and forgettable, yet at the same time extremely confusing and lacking in all coherence. Not a single character felt fleshed out and their motivations made no sense. A bunch of returning characters felt completely pointless (Jacob, Queenie and Credence). The twist makes no sense. Even in the third act they were still throwing long, 10-minute long exposition scenes in the viewer's face. And I can go on and on.

I'm just saying: name a single villain in that movie not named Grindelwald without going to Wikipedia or IMDB, I bet you can't.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Is it true that Grindelwald's crime is wanting to stop WW2?
Yes, it's super confusing. He smokes a skull and shows the Holocaust and I think the atomic bomb and he's like "We gotta stop the humans from doing this!"

And that's our villain? I guess you could make the argument that he's lying, but uhm, yeah it's odd.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
*scratches head*

Why do people defend these films?
This is the same movie that has an elaborate subplot about a African wizard who has literally searched his entire adult life for one of the main characters with the intention of killing him because his mother was raped and kidnapped by that character's assumed father... but then in the end it turns out nothing in that subplot mattered because he was mistaken and the kid he actually wanted to murder has been dead for years.

It's not a good movie and that some people are claiming it was okay, with a few missteps makes me wonder what these people do consider a bad movie.

Yeah I hope so too. I have enjoyed them so far. They are movies for children so I am able to look past some of the issues. I am a huge HP fan so I am just happy to see more things in that universe.
As a children's film Crimes of Grindelwald was also extremely unfitting. I mean, aside from the whole 'I want to kill this dude to take revenge for his father kidnapping and raping my mother'-subplot that I mentioned earlier, it contains the violent deaths of not one, not two, but three small children (including a pretty graphic depiction of a baby drowning).

If these are kids movies, I'm afraid to see what happens when J.K. Rowling tries to write something for adults.

Last edited:

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's super confusing. He smokes a skull and shows the Holocaust and I think the atomic bomb and he's like "We gotta stop the humans from doing this!"

And that's our villain? I guess you could make the argument that he's lying, but uhm, yeah it's odd.
Well his plan is to kill humans in to subjection...

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like there's nothing in the Hobbit films that is quite as awful as Queenie's assassination, or that ridiculous exposition dump near the end of the film about that baby. Newt as a character deserves so much better than being shoehorned into this shit.

Jan 10, 2018

Yea, the issues they suffer from are very similiar. Great unusual lead, who gets lost in the shuffle, due to the attempt to make it part of a bigger darker franchise.

Its so weird, everyone wants to be Marvel, but Marvel apparently has a patent on bid budget fun. Atleast DC is slowly correcting ship.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
JK's a TERF, Depp's a piece of shit, and the actual on-screen stuff is in no way near good enough to justify the terrible stuff from the big people behind it being swept under the rug for its continued benefit
Came in here to say this.

It's a huge shame too because little me would've been hype as fuck about a movie series based on Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Read that from front to back like 50+ times. But as is, it's just not worth it, given the quality and the problem people associated with it. Sorry OP.