• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have never been a big fan of this, I was especially put off by this in MK9 since the characters had to fight 4 matches in a row, often sequentially which made the tournament part of MK1 not feel like a tournament at all and I'm not too big a fan of not being able to play as my favorite characters in story mode potentially. Injustice 2 finally gave you some kind of choice in the matter, but it still wasn't much of a choice. I would like Netherrealm to do something new, but Ed Boon seems completely dead set on doing things this way because "switching would be confusing" he once put to me in a tweet after MK9 came out.

Oct 28, 2017
How are they meant to communicate a specific story without you playing as the character currently being drawn into the fight? Its also a fantastic way to expose players to different characters, try different styles and all that.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Four fights is a great way to introduce a character to new players in a casual setting and acclimate to their playstyle, giving you a good taste of what they can offer and focus the story on them exclusively for at least a solid, uninterrupted duration. Honestly wouldn't even mind five or six fights if it means more time with the cast.

My ONLY complaint isn't the four fights but rather the lack of any ability to typically play as the villains in the narrative. You can only beat up Reptile and Baraka so many times before you only see them as jobbers when a story shift from their perspective might be equally as entertaining. It's good to be bad, sometimes.

And MK has never felt like a proper tournament...