• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
I'm replaying story mode in GTAV (never actually finished it when it came out) and while the game and dialogue and setting are brilliant, it's amazing how Rockstar handles females in the game. The whole game is super testosterone laden and the lack of any good female characters is so fucking obvious. I know this game came out several years ago but I really hope Rockstar does some reflecting on how to make a female character with some depth rather than have her there for titilation and target practice.

Has Rockstar ever made a game featuring a female protagonist? Not that I can remember.

I really hope this changes. I really want to see the GTA world through a different vantage point.

Let the incels yell, I want my fem fatale.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Set in Vice City in the 80's again please. Would be fantastic. A new twist on the vice theme.
HonestFrighteningFritillarybutterfly-size_restricted.gif

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Me too. Especially if they are going to go the multiple protagonist route again it would seem weird not to have a woman character.

I think it would interesting to see what they can do with a female character.

Oct 25, 2017
This game literally prints money. Thats not even an exaggeration. GTAV is STILL fucking selling like 7 years later.

Do you honestly think Rockstar is gonna fuck with their formula?

Oct 25, 2017
How would adding a female protag fuck with the formula?

"The whole game is super testosterone laden and the lack of any good female characters is so fucking obvious. I know this game came out several years ago but I really hope Rockstar does some reflecting on how to make a female character with some depth rather than have her there for titilation and target practice."

It is LITERALLY in your own OP, lol.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
"The whole game is super testosterone laden and the lack of any good female characters is so fucking obvious. I know this game came out several years ago but I really hope Rockstar does some reflecting on how to make a female character with some depth rather than have her there for titilation and target practice."

I mean, Gears did it

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm replaying story mode in GTAV (never actually finished it when it came out) and while the game and dialogue and setting are brilliant, it's amazing how Rockstar handles females in the game. The whole game is super testosterone laden and the lack of any good female characters is so fucking obvious. I know this game came out several years ago but I really hope Rockstar does some reflecting on how to make a female character with some depth rather than have her there for titilation and target practice.

Has Rockstar ever made a game featuring a female protagonist? Not that I can remember.

I really hope this changes. I really want to see the GTA world through a different vantage point.

Let the incels yell, I want my fem fatale.

Play Red Dead Redemption 2 if you want to see Rockstar write good female characters. GTAV in particular is a different beast. It's based on a place that Dan doesn't seem to particularly like (LA). And everyone in it is trash. From the main characters to the side characters regardless of their race or gender. It's quite different from something like even GTA4 where a character like Kate for the most part was a really good person that was just in a really fucked up situation.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Gears did it

I'm not saying I don't want it.

But GTAV has SOLD 110 MILLION COPIES.

110 MILLION.

Gears game and pretty much any game are indie numbers compared to that thing.

I don't think Rockstar really wants to fuck around here. They want another 100 million for GTA6.

They aren't gonna do anything that rocks the boat. And I wouldn't be surprised if they think that a female protag would rock that boat.

We'll see. I hope I'm wrong, but I highly doubt it.

OP
OP
UF_C

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017

I see your point though there is a way to keep the same themes without making every single female character a narcissistic, sex craved, sex working, future road kill.

I mean, they are able to make the male protags different while still having all other dudes be narcissistic, sex craved, sex working, future road kill. So why can't they do the same with a woman?

Oct 25, 2017
I mean y'all are talking like GTA wasn't the series where for the fifth game they decided they would tackle be able to seamlessly transition between three separate characters present in the open world. They have the cache to take risks and they do take risks.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I mean y'all are talking like GTA wasn't the series where for the fifth game they decided they would tackle be able to seamlessly transition between three separate characters present in the open world. They have the cache to take risks and they do take risks.
But see this particular risk fucks with the formula

scar654

Oct 27, 2017
They had the opportunity of using a great female protagonist on RDR2 and they didn't. So I don't think Rockstar wants to.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Online is gonna be the selling point and everyone gets to have whatever they want.

That's why they won't do it in offline single-player.

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
Me too. Especially if they are going to go the multiple protagonist route again it would seem weird not to have a woman character.

I think it would interesting to see what they can do with a female character.
I kind of hope they dont go multiple protagonist again. Just give me one very well written character ala Arthur Morgan.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Its about the Housers, not sales. They have mentioned their preferences, no? GTA would sell with a non gendered alien as the MC lol.

Sunset Crusader

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 25, 2019
The question is do you think Rockstar would actually be able to handle including that representation in a good and meaningful way?

What we would likely get is something akin to another "Prostitute with a heart of gold" trope where I highly doubt women would be shown in a socially positive way.

Representation for the sake of representation is silly if that representation is shit.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
The question is do you think Rockstar would actually be able to handle including that representation in a good and meaningful way?

What we would likely get is something akin to another "Prostitute with a heart of gold" trope where I highly doubt women would be shown in a socially positive way.

Representation for the sake of representation is silly if that representation is shit.

I'm not sure what you're expecting from GTA. The protagonists in the series are terrible people across the board. Some are worse than others, but they have very few redeemable qualities.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they only have one protagonist. Didn't really like having multiple ones in 5. I'd prefer a male as well and Vice please

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
They've had this idea ever since the development of GTA SA. Hell, this function is actually present in GTA SA's game code but wasn't feasible to properly implement in the final game due to hardware limitations on consoles.

If they wanted a female protagonist, we would have gotten one by now.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They've had this idea ever since the development of GTA SA. Hell, this function is actually present in GTA SA's game code but wasn't feasible to properly implement in the final game due to hardware limitations on consoles.

If they wanted a female protagonist, we would have gotten one by now.
We've had multiple protagonists since the very first GTA game, female too.
latest

latest

latest

latest

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand there's no excuse for not having a woman protagonist at this point.

On the other Rockstar's GTA games have some of the worst writing in games and art that I've ever seen. I have zero hope that they could write a good female character.

It's really a monkey's paw type of situation.

rehjul

Dec 27, 2018
On one hand there's no excuse for not having a woman protagonist at this point.

On the other Rockstar's GTA games have some of the worst writing in games and art that I've ever seen. I have zero hope that they could write a good female character.

It's really a monkey's paw type of situation.
Your scope of experience in games 'and art' must be microscopic then, lol.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Thats basically my point tho im pretty sure their attempt would be a net negative for female representation.
You're not going to be perfect on the first go. Representation doesn't mean hitting it out of the park and only have positive, unflawed characters. There shouldn't be gatekeeping to representation, that if you can't nail it on the first go then you don't try at all. Of course you have female consultation along the way just like Rockstar does with all the environment, culture, character research they do. You can still have flawed female criminals and hope their character is worth following and writing is engaging eg Saint's Row. Much like with female criminal or villain characters in other forms of media, which gets them fans because it's refreshing and varied.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Do we want them to when R* goes out their way to use every possible stereotype for their character writing, especially for protagonists?

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
You believe the game for boys that want to be gangsta will include females for other reason than to be a good looking reward?