• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
"The whole game is super testosterone laden and the lack of any good female characters is so fucking obvious. I know this game came out several years ago but I really hope Rockstar does some reflecting on how to make a female character with some depth rather than have her there for titilation and target practice."

It is LITERALLY in your own OP, lol.
Holyy sheeet. You are so savage 😂😂

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
FWIW, you can already play a female protagonist in GTA Online.

In terms of the SP, Rockstar games are always highly derivative of film. When there are crime/gangster films featuring interesting female characters, I'd expect them to show up in GTA. I think it's Hollywood that needs to take the lead there.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I'm not saying I don't want it.

But GTAV has SOLD 110 MILLION COPIES.

110 MILLION.
I don't think Rockstar really wants to fuck around here. They want another 100 million for GTA6.

They aren't gonna do anything that rocks the boat. And I wouldn't be surprised if they think that a female protag would rock that boat.

Exactly.

No way Rockstar will rock that boat.

TimFL

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
There was an interview where someone asked the Housers that exact question ("female when?") and they shrugged it off saying they have 40 years+ of GTA story ideas and none involve any female protags because their stories are more or less mimicking the oldschool type flicks with male protags.

They also said they'd never do another GTA outside of america again in that same interview but people still request it so there's that.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
There was an interview where someone asked the Housers that exact question ("female when?") and they shrugged it off saying they have 40 years+ of GTA story ideas and none involve any female protags because their stories are more or less mimicking the oldschool type flicks with male protags.

They also said they'd never do another GTA outside of america again in that same interview but people still request it so there's that.

The concept art of GTAV really fooled me, i really hoped there would be one.

I thing the series of interviews you mention is here:
The one where he talks about female lead:
"The concept of being masculine was so key to this story"
He only spoke about GTAV... i think

or
In the future, could we do a game with a lead female character? Of course. We just haven't found the right game for it yet, but it's one of the things that we always think about. It didn't feel natural for this game but definitely for the right game in the future – with the right themes, it could be fantastic. But for GTA V, this was the organic thing that came up, these were the characters what would display the themes we wanted to think about.

The one about USA:
Speaking for myself – and normally I'd be as militant about saying 'we' as much as possible, because it certainly isn't only me at all, thank god – but my own personal feeling is that GTA is America.

LinLeigh

Oct 25, 2017
The question is do you think Rockstar would actually be able to handle including that representation in a good and meaningful way?

What we would likely get is something akin to another "Prostitute with a heart of gold" trope where I highly doubt women would be shown in a socially positive way.

Representation for the sake of representation is silly if that representation is shit.

Totally 100% disagree. White men can have shitty tropey characters all the time. Why can't I? Not every character can be perfect and to not have representation because of it is pretty terrible.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We will probably see female protagonists at the same time as SP Story DLC in current and next-gen games.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
A lot of it was GTA Online concept art. They still show it on GTA Online loading screens.
Whatever their promotion scheme was, they still fooled me ;)
There was no separation with online back then over here.
Said GTAV not GTA Online.

eyqcarm8.jpg

Without Michael, i am not sure i would have enjoyed that game. But that' another thing ;)

I hope i get to play a strong and cunning woman on GTAVI . I wouldn't mind if i could play a Fed ;)

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
I could see a female protagonist if she was one of multiple options, or if Rockstar did an Assassin's Creed: Odyssey kind-of-a-thing where you could play as a single protagonist, but could select either a male or female variant.

My ideal version would be that a female protagonist was but one of the multiple protagonists in the game.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can see Rockstar have a female protagonist among multiple protagonists as a way to shield some of the criticism of the game being mysoginistic in this day and age.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I thought about this for a bit & them aping Kill Bill sounds amazing
Kill Bill has such a focused and driving narrative in comparison to a game like GTA though. GTA games are more about portraying 'the life' rather than specific events. There are always revenge elements in the GTA games, but those plots take a back seat for huge portions of the game. I'm not sure how that would work in the context of a story like Kill Bill.

I honestly can't think of any major female characters in the genre of movies that serve as the inspiration for GTA games. To me, that's the underlying problem that needs to be addressed, since the Housers lift so much of their GTA stuff directly from movies. On the big screen we see lots of female spies, but so few hardened female criminals.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Meh. I don't mind, but (a) I don't see it happening, and (b) GTAs visual style is so stylized that it wouldn't be something I'd enjoy personally.

If course, would be good if it happened.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was pretty much a sure thing we'd get a female protagonist for GTAVI, given that they stick with the multiple characters format.
Had no idea so many of you were convinced otherwise.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The GTA games have often deliberately courted controversy. Personally, I don't think they'd be particularly bothered by that criticism, since they're no stranger to criticism (and outrage in general).
Agreed, but the criticism is much louder with the advent of social media and the issues more polarizing with the "SJWS ruining everything" rhetoric all over the internet. Not to mention, most game companies have tried do a better job in that regard than in the past, due to having a decent understanding to issues they never even considered before.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I'd like them to do a fully customisable character and a few voice actors regarding ethnicity and gender, it'd be expensive, but this is GTA we're talking about it's a franchise that makes literally all the money in the world, and more to boot. It's also a franchise known for its ridiculously large budgets so they could totally pay several voice actors to record the lines and pay for the budget of a character creator.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
I'm replaying story mode in GTAV (never actually finished it when it came out) and while the game and dialogue and setting are brilliant, it's amazing how Rockstar handles females in the game. The whole game is super testosterone laden and the lack of any good female characters is so fucking obvious. I know this game came out several years ago but I really hope Rockstar does some reflecting on how to make a female character with some depth rather than have her there for titilation and target practice.

Has Rockstar ever made a game featuring a female protagonist? Not that I can remember.

I really hope this changes. I really want to see the GTA world through a different vantage point.

Let the incels yell, I want my fem fatale.
The Housers hold us, all of us, Americans especially, in contempt. It's obvious.

The point of GTA is to be a massive fuck you to players, to places like LA, and to America. When you play and take GTA's story at face value and sympathize with the characters unironically, the joke is on you. The whole online aspect, the economic, the whale spending of MTX, that's the Houser's biggest joke on Hollywood culture, on players who enjoy that shit, on the pointless stupidity of American capitalism. It's satire.

American masculinity is part of that joke. If the protagonist was female, she would be the embodiment of everything wrong with Hollywood's depiction of women and the surrounding sociopolitical culture of trying to live up to that "ideal", in the same way the male characters are the product and victims of a society gone wrong. Whatever your orientation, do you really want a female protagonist to be the butt of that joke?

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
GTA 6 hasn't even been announced, They may will have a female protagonist, No one knows anything about the game yet.

How's Gears of war being recieved since switching to female protagonist? Haven't played those games since 360 era. I'm not calling it Gears like I don't call Pro Evo... PES

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
I doubt many of those who wish for a female protag would be fine with a protagonist full of negative female stereotypes and tropes, seeing how the men protags are portrayed. But, you never know. I'd for one welcome it, it would be interesting.

I hope whatever they do, they ditch the multiple protagonist route and stick with only one.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2's Sadie showed that Rockstar can absolutely create interesting and powerful ladies without any fan service etc. I doubt they'll have a female character as the only main protagonist in GTA6 though, but maybe they let us choose like with AC Odyssey or make a character swap midgame.

ByteCulture

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Personally i dont care about optional woman as playable character. If i have the choice i will stick with a guy anyway.

I only hope its in Vice city again.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like them to do a fully customisable character and a few voice actors regarding ethnicity and gender, it'd be expensive, but this is GTA we're talking about it's a franchise that makes literally all the money in the world, and more to boot. It's also a franchise known for its ridiculously large budgets so they could totally pay several voice actors to record the lines and pay for the budget of a character creator.
That would be awesome.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Thats basically my point tho im pretty sure their attempt would be a net negative for female representation.

From a representation standpoint wouldn't it be far more insulting if they were to make a female lead and then treated her differently from the male characters? In the sense that they tried to make her likable while the male characters are always scum. They can still do storytelling that factors in that she's a woman. Like how little respect women tend to have in the criminal underworld. But that wouldn't necessarily make her out to be "good". She'd still ultimately be taking missions that involved murdering people, pushing drugs, extortion, bank robberies etc.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Kill Bill has such a focused and driving narrative in comparison to a game like GTA though. GTA games are more about portraying 'the life' rather than specific events. There are always revenge elements in the GTA games, but those plots take a back seat for huge portions of the game. I'm not sure how that would work in the context of a story like Kill Bill.

I honestly can't think of any major female characters in the genre of movies that serve as the inspiration for GTA games. To me, that's the underlying problem that needs to be addressed, since the Housers lift so much of their GTA stuff directly from movies. On the big screen we see lots of female spies, but so few hardened female criminals.
GTA never copies the movies it apes 1:1 like you're mentioning here. Them copying Kill Bill would be copying the spine of the story. Protag is in a crew, life's good, then all of a sudden, left for dead. The end goal would be of course making due with where she was wronged (most GTA endings involve settling the score with someone who wronged you) but the guts of the game is where the Houser writing comes into play. They fill in the gaps and make a GTA game of you trying to get to the people who wronged you. Seeing as there's a time skip between the "left for dead" and the actual start of the main game, this creates the unknown for the PC

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I want a GTA game starring the actress who played Snoop from The Wire.

Basically just let me play as Snoop.

GTA never copies the movies it apes 1:1 like you're mentioning here. Them copying Kill Bill would be copying the spine of the story. Protag is in a crew, life's good, then all of a sudden, left for dead. The end goal would be of course making due with where she was wronged (most GTA endings involve settling the score with someone who wronged you) but the guts of the game is where the Houser writing comes into play. They fill in the gaps and make a GTA game of you trying to get to the people who wronged you. Seeing as there's a time skip between the "left for dead" and the actual start of the main game, this creates the unknown for the PC
This would be really cool.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only possible counterpoint I can think of is how GTA is an extremely violent franchise and how a female protagonist getting beaten up etc. could parallel domestic violence (against women) or just more generally violence against women and misogyny. I can especially see Rockstar having some scenes allude to sexual assault in gratuitous and harmful ways in a game with a female protagonist.

That said, I'm of the personal opinion that treating a male and female possible protagonist more or less equally in terms of violence would be a valid path to take so I'd be interested in seeing how Rockstar did it.

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of problems they would get by including a female protagonist in a game such like GTA, we would never hear the end of it.
Woman committing crime, getting beaten up, insulted by bystanders, doing ANYTHING sex related... Parents associations and social media would get that shit banned before it's even released. Not agreeing with it, but I know that's what would eventually happen.

Nah, you won't see this, not in this politic climate. And if they dare to do it, expect headlines coming non stop for the next freaking decade.

But I would like a gangster woman in GTA, sure why not.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
it's time. give me a character like yaritza from too old to die young

actually give me two characters, a female cartel assassin and a male corrupt cop or something

Oct 27, 2017
The question is do you think Rockstar would actually be able to handle including that representation in a good and meaningful way?

What we would likely get is something akin to another "Prostitute with a heart of gold" trope where I highly doubt women would be shown in a socially positive way.

Representation for the sake of representation is silly if that representation is shit.
What's the problem with a prostitute protagonist?

Have her be at the wrong place at the right time so the mob hunts her down and then she turns the tables and kills them then takes over their empire. Done.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
won't sell that great so can't see them doing it. at this point i doubt rockstar will want to change their formula. V is one of the best selling games of all time. they'll want VI to sell more than V.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Fucking Saints Row showed how it can be done in an open-world crime game. So I think it is waaayyyyy over due for Rockstar to do a GTA with a female protagonist.

And to the people saying "they make too much money to fuck with the formula" That is exactly what they did with RDR2 and look how that game sold. If anything the fact that GTA 5 made/is making money hand over fist means it is the perfect opportunity to mess with the formula and experiment.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not saying I don't want it.

But GTAV has SOLD 110 MILLION COPIES.

110 MILLION.

Gears game and pretty much any game are indie numbers compared to that thing.

I don't think Rockstar really wants to fuck around here. They want another 100 million for GTA6.

They aren't gonna do anything that rocks the boat. And I wouldn't be surprised if they think that a female protag would rock that boat.

We'll see. I hope I'm wrong, but I highly doubt it.
GTA isn't going to lose sales because it has a female protagonist lmao. Who in the actual fuck would be like "Oh cool a new GTA. Oh I have to play as a girl ewwwww I'm not buying it now"?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
R* should do whats needed to service their story, above all else. Don't care what sex they use.