• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
I would very much like this. If there are some women writers involved then it could end up being a really interesting take on a GTA protagonist.

I do think that the world might cave in on itself, poltergeist style, at the sound of 10 million fragile, salty boys all gasping at once.

I wonder what that would sound like...I'm guessing like a "Splosh" sound or something similarly icky.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
As long as there is only one protagonist, I'll be happy with whatever... unless they're an unrelenting prick like Trevor was.

Oct 27, 2017
They left the door open for
Sadie Adler
to take over Red Dead Redemption.

It would make sense for them to have one in GTA if they do multiple protags again, but I'd rather see that in Red Dead to be honest. Red Dead is like...mature storytelling Rockstar. GTA is unsubtle attempts at parody and wackiness Rockstar so I'm not sure I'd care as much about that.

JetBazooka

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
I prefer the traditional crime/gangster movies and games. I suppose they can make a side character a female since gta 5 has you rotating between 3 different characters.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
It will not happend, for market reasons. People that don't buy GTA today wont buy one just because it has a female protagonist. And a part of the people that actually buy GTA wont buy it because of that. I am not even thinking about the incels and the far right... I feel like a lot of parents wont like buying a game that has a woman with rifles and killing people in the streets to their children.

Oct 28, 2017
it's time. give me a character like yaritza from too old to die young

actually give me two characters, a female cartel assassin and a male corrupt cop or something

To be perfectly blunt, if this is the sort of female character you want out of GTA, then you might have missed the point of GTA somewhere along the way.

GTA5, specifically, is about impotent masculinity. The main characters are a fat, middle-aged former gangster, a violent homophobe and misogynist and a petty thief. At no point are you supposed to find any of these characters likeable or cool.

That's not to say that you can't have a woman as a main character, but a femme fatale type would be severely out of character for the series.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
To be perfectly blunt, if this is the sort of female character you want out of GTA, then you might have missed the point of GTA somewhere along the way.

GTA5, specifically, is about impotent masculinity. The main characters are a fat, middle-aged former gangster, a violent homophobe and misogynist and a petty thief. At no point are you supposed to find any of these characters likeable or cool.

That's not to say that you can't have a woman as a main character, but a femme fatale type would be severely out of character for the series.

That's why they should give us a gang boss like Ma Ma from Dredd.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018

gta 5 was like that. gta 3 and vice city had a completely different approach. who says rockstar can't go in a different direction? i know gta 5 sold a lot but did anyone think the gta 5 protagonists were great? Michael was the best one he's still pretty low on my list of best gta characters. there is a reason people remember tommy so fondly

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I hope we get a solo female lead so that people will lose their shit like when CJ was announced for San Andreas.

Feb 21, 2019
gta 5 was like that. gta 3 and vice city had a completely different approach. who says rockstar can't go in a different direction? i know gta 5 sold a lot but did anyone think the gta 5 protagonists were great? Michael was the best one he's still pretty low on my list of best gta characters. there is a reason people remember tommy so fondly
I thought they were great. Terrible wrecks of humans that each had their own satirical bend to them.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be cool with having a female protagonist, but I think a lot of people might struggle by having a female protagonist who is a shitty human being. Or, at least, it'll strike them differently than Michael, Trevor, and Franklin, male protagonists who are shitty human beings (at least, Michael and Trevor are, while Franklin is simply just boring).

Rockstar has made some of the best female supporting characters, going back to Kendyl in GTA:SA, Bonnie McFarland in RDR, Sadie in RDR2. They can write really compelling, great female characters with great voice talent behind them. But I wonder whether they'd really take a chance writing a flawed, unlikable female protagonist for GTAVI. I think they should challenge themselves to do it. Although, I'm also hoping that they don't beat the same nihilistic, self-hating drum of GTAV, too. I don't think they have to play on the same overwhelming negative themes they've been playing since after GTA:SA, and wouldn't mind if they went back to an on-the-whole positive character, story, and world as with GTA:SA.

GTAVI will let you create your own character for the story campaign.

I personally doubt it. Rockstar likes to tell specific stories, and it's tougher to do that with the generic create-your-own character, esp with their voice acting/animation standards. I figure they'll do what they've done with GTAV and RDR2, having a voiced protagonist(s) for the main story, and then giving a create a character for the online stuff.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope we get a solo female lead so that people will lose their shit like when CJ was announced for San Andreas.

If San Andreas was released nowadays gamers would lose their absolute shit over CJ

You'd hear cries "forced diversity", "sjw pandering" and other bullshit

But that didnt happen and now people are (relatively) more accepting of black male protagonists. The same thing could happen with a female protagonist but folks (in this thread) don't even want to entertain the thought.

Not gonna call them out for being sexist, but I didn't think men could be so boring.

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
I'd be happy if they did a playable guy and girl for maximum customization possibilities.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I don't to play a female protagonist written by incels Houser brothers. I am already concern by the female protaginist of Cyberpunk...

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Yet another instance where it seems like 90% of ResetEra hasn't actually played a modern Rockstar game.

This idea that they can't write female characters has been inaccurate for like 15 years.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I could see an Assassin's Creed Odyssey/Mass Effect Andromeda scenario happening where you're given the option of choosing either the male or female player character.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
This is why I wish Saints Row didn't go full cartoon in 3 and 4.

Now there's no alternative that will actually be open to a female protagonist

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Finished it. You will tell me Sadie is a well written character, don't you ?

All the female characters in RDR 1 and 2 are well written. GTA is 100% satire since Vice City and everyone should know that at this point

Also with how the game is gunning for progression aswel as treating very well the push for women rights back then, I'm not sure how you can argue otherwise

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Can the creative team tackle that... while the engineering team tackle that really strange physics/ragdoll where you fall and then roll for 10 seconds then take another 5 getting up?

Kareem

Jan 4, 2018
Unless I am hugely mistaken (could be) the "money printing" this game does, at this stage, is largely/entirely due to the online mode, right?

The mode where you can make male & female characters who do not talk but appear in cutscenes? I've seen Crime Crew..

I dunno where I am going with this exactly, my brain still working on it. But I guess I expect GTAVI to blend on/offline more closely, so a female protagonist, or a custom one, could be possible.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
I'd be surprised if GTA6 didn't let you customize your protagonist to a strong degree. Maybe ethnicity. Definitely facial structure and so forth. Gender starts getting in to a mess as you'll double the number of VAs required. Even if online and off are the same character and story (see Destiny and The Division) it won't be GTA without that "incredibly smart and witty story"

And I actually think they could do a woman. Mostly because I think Trevor is actually interesting if you pretend he is a woman. Rather than just yet another "Ha ha, he is a poorly developed manchild who wants to play with toys and murder. You AreThe Trevor. We are smart" bullshit, imagine if he were a she

• She has really complicated feelings toward her mother
  • She compensates for being female in a predominantly male field by engaging in toxic hyper masculinity
  • Her best friend that she probably wants to fuck abandoned her because she was too weird and getting in the way of his family
  • She engages in the most over the top (but not really) GTA-like experiences in the game

Starts playing on some standard "woman in a man's world" tropes and gets rid of the probably unintentional homosexuality themes, but it makes a generic character something of a subversion that is at least as "nuanced" as "made man who wants to go straight" and "inner city youth who wants to be a crime lord".

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I actually would find it pretty cool, if they added a female protagonist along with a male protagonist as they act as a partner in the criminal empire.

OP
OP
UF_C

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
I could see an Assassin's Creed Odyssey/Mass Effect Andromeda scenario happening where you're given the option of choosing either the male or female player character.
This would be such a copout! How can you make a statement on today's society if you make sure that statement is completely sexless?

bishoptl

Remember
Oct 26, 2017
Vancouver
I remember the squeals of outrage from little piggies worldwide when Rockstar revealed a black character protagonist for GTA San Andreas.

God. It was SO GOOD. The anger. The denial. The walls of "how will I be able to relate to him?" Bitch you play games as a 20 ft robot, go drown yourself in a bucket of ice water.

The doom. The gloom. The dire predictions that this Negro interloper would KILL THE FRANCHISE. Twisting themselves into knots that "the cool factor" bestowed upon GTA w their previous focus on white protagonists would be lost

nay

SHATTERED

once the gang warfare inherent to these people infested what was previously the greatest franchise on earth. Then it destroyed ALL the sales records.

I hope Rockstar gives us three female protagonists for GTA 6. I really, really do.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the squeals of outrage from little piggies worldwide when Rockstar revealed a black character protagonist for GTA San Andreas.

God. It was SO GOOD. The anger. The denial. The walls of "how will I be able to relate to him?" Bitch you play games as a 20 ft robot, go drown yourself in a bucket of ice water.

The doom. The gloom. The dire predictions that this Negro interloper would KILL THE FRANCHISE. Twisting themselves into knots that "the cool factor" bestowed upon GTA w their previous focus on white protagonists would be lost

nay

SHATTERED

once the gang warfare inherent to these people infested what was previously the greatest franchise on earth. Then it destroyed ALL the sales records.

I hope Rockstar gives us three female protagonists for GTA 6. I really, really do.
Oh man, the I still remember reading on GameFAQs about how people just couldn't relate to that "gangsta" stuff on the San Andreas boards. Hilarious.

OP
OP
UF_C

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
What makes you think Rockstar is interested in any of that?
I'm interested, that's all I'm trying to say. I'd love to see GTAs take on pay inequality, Harvey Weinstein (sex to play), how women dress = how they are portrayed by men, Instagram influencers.

I just think there is a real opportunity to turn all of these notions on their head. The fem character doesn't have to be perfect. But it would be awesome to show, even if it's just contextually, all the shit women have to go through in today's weird society.