• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
As long as she is a piece of shit like all gta leads should be ...sure.

Something tells me that wouldn't fly with some people tho.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do we want them to when R* goes out their way to use every possible stereotype for their character writing, especially for protagonists?
Yea this.
I choose to play as female as often as I can in games, but this idea that it's now politically incorrect to not have females as the main character is becoming toxic.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we want them to when R* goes out their way to use every possible stereotype for their character writing, especially for protagonists?

After 10+ games, I want them to switch things up with a female protagonist for once instead of resigning themselves to hell of delivering the same kind of male protagonists over and over again.

But people would use the threat of "problematic writing" to justify a borderline obsessive penchant for creating male protagonists.

Talk about 0 ambition.

Yea this.
I choose to play as female as often as I can in games, but this idea that it's now politically incorrect to not have females as the main character is becoming toxic.

Forget about politics. The fact that they have 0 female protagonists in any of their mainline titles is embarrassing.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I for one can't wait for the next mainline GTA game. I'm thinking we'll get something like this:

The game will center on John Heidecker, a 30 something former athlete turned criminal after he had a bad run-in with the law.

He'll be accompanied by Antonio Smith a nervous accountant and Max Williams, an out of control alcoholic who doesn't have any patience (or morals.)

Together (but with differing motivations) they'll get to explore San Andreas, getting involved with all sorts of shady and crooked individuals while trying to better their own lives. Expect lots of intrigue, sex and violence and "funny" political commentary.

It's going to be great getting to play a brand new GTA experience!

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Multiplayer OP, you can create any character you want there.

Imagine the controversy of GTA 6 if they picked a female lead.

They certainly don't hold back on character development!

Feb 10, 2018
latest
I would like to play as a maude like character.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The grim truth is that for us it doesn't touch the formula but for millions of people it does

A lot of people said the same thing for San Andreas.

Look at how that turned out.

The question is do you think Rockstar would actually be able to handle including that representation in a good and meaningful way?

What we would likely get is something akin to another "Prostitute with a heart of gold" trope where I highly doubt women would be shown in a socially positive way.

Representation for the sake of representation is silly if that representation is shit.

You clearly haven't played many Rockstar Games.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
with the cultural status that GTA and Rockstar has, it would send a big message if they made a woman protagonist (preferably non-white)

but seeing how Rockstar hasn't bothered to do anything about it, even after the most vile harassment of women in games, I don't ever expect them to.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Find it hilarious that people don't think Rockstar could write a good female character.

They have written some great female characters..try playing Red Dead Redemption 2

Oct 27, 2017
Same here. I want something like claws or the deuce. I want it to be unashamedly feminine. I mean, I'd take a butch lesbian who is treated like "one of the boys" as well. That'd still be an upgrade over just another male protagonist. But it would be so much more pioneering if they wrote a feminine character and took her as seriously as they did Arthur Morgan. I want nail studios, make-up that needs to be redone routinely like shaving in RDR2 and an in-depth clothing system. I want antagonists I can hate because they don't take the main character seriously. Give us male love interests and a largely female supporting cast. GTA has a history of populating their worlds with dehumanized stereotypical portrayals of strippers, prostitutes and the like. I want Rockstar to take those people seriously for once and finally grant them some humanity.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Are people really not going to buy GTA6 just because you play as a woman?

I seriously doubt that. The series prints money on name alone.
If anything the press would make them sell even more.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
I've got a question regarding this. How many people would actually want to play as a female character? Wouldn't it make more sense to make a protagonist that the majority of people want rather than the minority?

I can see it making sense if it was 50/50 male/female who play GTA but I'm assuming it's mostly males who play GTA.

Forget about female, black male and black female characters, I think that they're already represented enough other than whites. What about Latinos? Where they at?

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a question regarding this. How many people would actually want to play as a female character? Wouldn't it make more sense to make a protagonist that the majority of people want rather than the minority?

I can see it making sense if it was 50/50 male/female who play GTA but I'm assuming it's mostly males who play GTA.

Forget about female, black male and black female characters, I think that they're already represented enough other than whites. What about Latinos? Where they at?
Who cares what people want? Many people don't want POC in their games, does that mean they should pander to them?

They should just do it and have a female character. Haters can cry me a river.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I don't see why that's a relevant argument, unless you're saying that most people will only play a game if the main protagonist is from a particular race or gender?

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
Honestly Sadie Adler from Red Dead Redemption 2 was such a kick ass lady who could hold her own. She garnered a lot of fans in the process. She was quite the trope, but that is because real life is just that. A bunch if rl tropes lol.

In the case of GTAVI I think it is about time for a female protagonist, but one out of 2 or three. A main female lead might be tough to sell depending on the marketing. Marketing needs to be spot on and not cringey.

Like the trailer for the Batwoman tv show has been yikesss from all directions. 🤪

ReBirFh

Dec 8, 2017
If the protagonist was a woman (assuming the themes GTA have), she would use her body and sex appeal and actually fuck her way up the power ladder, would people really want to play that game just to have some kind of representation?

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as she is a piece of shit like all gta leads should be ...sure.
Not all gta leads are pieces of shit though
Won't happen anyway.
If the protagonist was a woman (assuming the themes GTA have), she would use her body and sex appeal and actually fuck her way up the power ladder, would people really want to play that game just to have some kind of representation?
lmfao what

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
They won't.
They should... but, they won't.

Given how badly Rockstar handles female characters, it'd be an absolute shitshow.

MRAs would be pissed about a female led GTA, media would be unhappy about the violence, most people (male and female) would be vexed about the way the woman was written.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
In before well after the obligatory "oh no Rockstar can't write female characters, so they should stay away from that".

R* can absolutely do a fine job

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Restricting your vision based on the wants of the masses is pretty pathetic. Probably offbase too, given how many people are excited for TLoU2.

At this point you're just making excuses Rockstar and their lack of ambition.

Imagine the controversy of GTA 6 if they picked a female lead.

Good point, GTA has never been a controversial series before so why start now

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
This thread is crazy. A woman in GTA? What's next, equal pay? Pretty soon you'll be asking someone to replace our beloved Pac-Man with a female variant. It'd never work.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
I could see there being RDR2 DLC where you play as Sadie. Not sure about GTA unless they go the route of having multiple characters again. I just don't see them having a female if it's a game with a single protagonists. Would welcome it if they did though.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Restricting your vision based on the wants of the masses is pretty pathetic. Probably offbase too, given how many people are excited for TLoU2.

At this point you're just making excuses Rockstar and their lack of ambition.

Good point, GTA has never been a controversial series before so why start now

Rockstar and lack of ambition? Lmao, what?
having female playable characters in gta isnt the holy grail of ambition. It will happen at one point I'm sure, and it will be cool. But that won't be because the Housers are having some breakthrough in ambition, but simply because it is what the story they came up with makes sense with.

For the record, GTA has had some incredibly diverse, and cool protagonists and characters already. They clearly don't shy away from the standard main character tropes.

Last edited:

TimFL

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
User banned (2 weeks): Sexist rhetoric.
Who cares what people want? Many people don't want POC in their games, does that mean they should pander to them?

They should just do it and have a female character. Haters can cry me a river.
Nothing wrong with having a female character you can opt to play, but force one down players throats as the sole playable protagonist in a franchise (just to please a certain audience)... you're going to cause a riot. Look at what happened with BFV when their lead guy went on a political correctness rampage alienating a huge part of their playerbase in the process.

I, for one, have no interest in playing a female character in a game, so a single female protagonist in a GTA title would be a deal breaker for me. And yes, I didn't play Horizon and am not interested in playing the new TLOU2 (no, I don't care about the marketing or lesbian angle that has people up in arms, I simply don't want to play as Ellie in general). More power to the people who want to play female protags though.
Disclaimer: I am a white male so this post is probably getting me banned

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing wrong with having a female character you can opt to play, but force one down players throats as the sole playable protagonist in a franchise (just to please a certain audience)... you're going to cause a riot. Look at what happened with BFV when their lead guy went on a political correctness rampage alienating a huge part of their playerbase in the process.

I, for one, have no interest in playing a female character in a game, so a single female protagonist in a GTA title would be a deal breaker for me. And yes, I didn't play Horizon and am not interested in playing the new TLOU2 (no, I don't care about the marketing or lesbian angle that has people up in arms, I simply don't want to play as Ellie in general). More power to the people who want to play female protags though.
What about women who are "forced" to play as men. Ever thought about that for a second?

If people are idiots then that doesn't mean women shouldn't get represented. Fuck that.

TimFL

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
What about women who are "forced" to play as men. Ever thought about that for a second?
That's a two edged sword. In terms of GTA you were always playing as a male protagonist, so you can't really miss what you never had. But yes, it sucks for them if they want to play a female character. Maybe they'll go the multiple protagonists route again for VI and have a female one as part of the mix. That being said, I'm rooting for a single protagonist for VI.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
The question is do you think Rockstar would actually be able to handle including that representation in a good and meaningful way?

What we would likely get is something akin to another "Prostitute with a heart of gold" trope where I highly doubt women would be shown in a socially positive way.

Representation for the sake of representation is silly if that representation is shit.

Have you played RDR 2 ? its incredibly well done in terms of strong women representation. None of the main ones need any man or anything like that

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Well points for being honest, but the obsession with the status quo and
complete disinterest in playing a game with a female protagonist is genuinely pathetic.

Like I can't imagine being this male obsessed, especially when it results in missing out on genuinely great games.

And I sure as hell don't think game developers should pander to whiny gamers who'll throw a fit whenever a protagonist is anything other than white. Those people shouldn't be catered to.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
That's a two edged sword. In terms of GTA you were always playing as a male protagonist, so you can't really miss what you never had. But yes, it sucks for them if they want to play a female character. Maybe they'll go the multiple protagonists route again for VI and have a female one as part of the mix. That being said, I'm rooting for a single protagonist for VI.
In GTA (first game aside) you also played as white men before San Andreas came out with a black protagonist, even on NeoGaf people hated on that fact because "how dare they have a black character in my GTA". Does that mean it is a double edged sword? No, it does not.

More representation is always a good thing.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was in elementary school when people were whining about being "forced" to play as a black guy in San Andreas, and guess what, SA ended up being extremely well regarded by the GTA community.

People will always irrationally fear change until they actually experience. There were tons of people who wrote off a female protagonist for TLoU2 until it actually happened.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I was in elementary school when people were whining about being "forced" to play as a black guy in San Andreas, and guess what, SA ended up being extremely well regarded by the GTA community.

People will always irrationally fear change until they actually experience. There were tons of people who wrote off a female protagonist for TLoU2 until it actually happened.
Exactly.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tlou 2 is a crime simulator ? I don't think people mind the woman MC that much if the game is good. Bloodstained, Horizon, Hellblade, Uncharted Lost Legacy are some pretty good examples as of late

TLoU2 is a game with extreme violence
starring a female protagonist in a male dominated world, which is an argumeng people used to justift GTA being male dominated forever.

Modern GTA games aren't even primarily crime simulators. They have crime based narratives with a clear through line.

There are plenty of sandbox games with female protagonists that let you get away with slaughtering countless people

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It would be interesting if they did, but I would understand if they didn't. They're writing stories rooted in the world of organized crime and that's male-dominated. You're usually an unremarkable person navigating that world - hired muscle, not a femme fatale -type. It's over-the-top but that's its core.

I don't think you can just ignore it in telling a narrative, and I also don't think a female character's journey to being taken seriously and seen as formidable within a misogynistic criminal enterprise is a story the writers are interested in telling or equipped to tell.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
TLoU2 is a game with extreme violence
starring a female protagonist in a male dominated world, which is an argument people used to justify GTA being male dominated forever.

Modern GTA games aren't even primarily crime simulators. They have crime based narratives with a clear through line.

There are plenty of sandbox games with female protagonists that let you get away with slaughtering countless people

Ah, that's just sad then

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
I think some of the violence that happens to the main characters may not be taken as well if it's done to a female lead.

Edit: my reasoning was dumb and I'm wrong.

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
They should cast the protagonist as a gay black woman voiced by an actual African American woman.
The reveal trailer can have some basement dwelling fedora-clad neckbeard loser complaining about women in video games on his computer before a car smashes through his house running him over. Out comes the new protagonist.

I know that wouldn't be serious and GTA wants to be serious now but man I miss the tongue-in-cheek style of the old games.

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sadie-red-dead-redemption-2-1151415.jpeg

This badass lady showed that Rockstar can make a fucking awesome female lead character. And they're increased my interest. Now, I want a female lead only GTA. Not as an option.

OP
OP
UF_C

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
I think Rockstar has the chops to pull this off. I mean, before GTAV, if you told me that their game dropped 50 N-Bombs in the first 2 hours of gameplay, I'd have thought the game was doomed to fail and ridicule. But, playing the game, the language, while it hurts every part of my being, fits the world. It's a testament to how much time and thought and "research" they did because having that sort of language was a huge risk.

If Rockstar can pull off something that risky, writing an engaging take on today's pop culture through the eyes of a female shouldn't be too much of a stretch.