• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I think a noticeable color scheme is great for company branding, and until this generation I don't think PlayStation really had one. Xbox is of course always associated with green and Nintendo has always focused on red from their main "Nintendo" logo (even though individual consoles may have varied, ie purple for GameCube or white for Wii).

It seems like every other generation, the PlayStation brand was just focused on black. PS1 had the grey SCE logo along with the black and multi-colored PS logo. PS2 was black with the blue PS2 lettering, and PS3 (both the early Spider-Man 3 font days and the later days) was a plain black background and white font.

This gen they seemed to have found a great color scheme with the blue & white to represent the brand. It's totally separate from anything Xbox or Nintendo uses and easily identifies PS4 when someone is browsing a store or site. You see blue, you think PlayStation. They've even incorporated it into many of their other logos (PS Store, PS Now, PS Vue).

I hope they don't try to reinvent everything again next-gen. The blue seems like a color that is timeless and can be adapted to go with whatever designs they choose in the future.

HD5Ns02.png

yApuXim.jpg

GKLVv5J.png

92Lk8bj.png

zQmXFJB.png

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I've associated blue with PlayStation for ages, since, in PALand, the PS2 game cases were blue.

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
Yes they should keep using the blue color. It's instantly recognisable as PlayStation.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
They change pretty regularly, depending on what else they're making at the time. I wouldn't say they have an overall design for playstation, aside from the dualshock.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Yeah, but they went back to the black and white for PS3. Which is why I'm saying I hope they finally stick to the blue going forward.

DvjYRUO.jpg

pgLOqk5.jpg

That Raimi Spider-Man font that they used for the PS3 was such a let down. Should've stuck with the PS2 style font from the get go. Luckily they redesigned at the end of the PS3 life cycle.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
PlayStation's always been blue for me, but they did go red for a little while with some of the PS3 branding.

I agree, stick with the blue.

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
I'm the exact opposite. Sony used to be really good with graphic design but this generation they just dropped the ball on everything from packaging to the look of the UI. The garish use of color is the biggest problem, I feel like in the past they didn't try to draw as much attention to their branding which made Sony seem like the classier alternative.
I find myself being actively turned off of owning physical editions of PS4 games because the packaging is so tacky, the blue styling downright clashes against the art at times. People admire old Japanese box art for a reason, the console branding was minimal. That meant no funky signature colors or giant banners.
latest
latest
This is the correct approach to branding. Just get rid of it and bring the content front and center.
So basically, I think Sony should ditch the blue. Nintendo and Microsoft both have signature colors so Sony would stand out enough by not having one and strive to be as neutral as possible.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like the blue for Playstation, but when I see the slick black/silver from the PS3 days I become unsure of that :P

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
They did a major rebranding project in 2009 when the PS3 Slim was released, not changing only the visual identity but the brand essence and positioning. I don't think they'll change it anytime soon, considering it worked very well so far.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
They'd be kinda crazy to change it now. The PlayStation blue is pretty engrained in the minds of the video game community at this point.

Thadeus

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised they went with blue considering the rough start they had (also in general with the company as a whole) as blue is considered one of the lucky colors in Japan.

What does the color blue mean in Japan? Blue symbolizes coolness, passivity as well as fidelity. It is a popular color in Japanese clothing. Many office workers wear different shades of blue whereas University students wear 'recruitment suits in blue' for job interviews. Blue is also one of the most important lucky colors in Japan with the others in the category being yellow, white, purple, green and, red.

https://www.color-meanings.com/color-meanings-japan/

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought of PlayStation signature color as blue since the PS2 days, even during the years of confusing branding with the PS3.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks nice and certainly has a good mindshare. Yeah, they'd be kind of foolish to throw it out now. Though looking above I guess they did throw it out after the most successful home console used it, so who knows what they'll do lol.