• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The mods actually lay out the reasoning and giving warnings visible to everyone.

People are testing everyone's limits looking for things to cherry pick and show off elsewhere. Many of us still browse other places and are not as stupid as some people are hoping. The actual posts in question, as well as the context in which they were posted, can be seen by anyone.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I think this is the wake-up call we all needed. I loved the old place of course and this is the same community. But this transfer just made us more mindful of each other for a bit, all the fanboy wars and other bullshit arguments have been toned down. And shit, I absolutely love this place and all the people in it. This is the honeymoon phase of course and things will normalize eventually but right now we're all a bit kinder to each other. I love it and I hope that it lasts. I'll definitely make an effort on my end.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
Eventually some bad apples are going to sneak in and make inflammatory posts. I hope the practice of dogpiling gets the boot. You could see a post and several pages later that exact same post is drumming up the same reaction. Everyone trying to get their 2 cents in like that fuck head cares to read all that.

Use the report button, ignore and keep it moving.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
dynasticcycle.gif

AkuMifune

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eventually some bad apples are going to sneak in and make inflammatory posts. I hope the practice of dogpiling gets the boot. You could see a post and several pages later that exact same post is drumming up the same reaction. Everyone trying to get their 2 cents in like that fuck head cares to read all that.

Use the report button, ignore and keep it moving.

TxxuTTO.gif

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I have decided that if the contents of a thread are giving me negative feelings, I am just going to ignore it.

Always be kind.

And since there are creators here, if I can't offer a constructive criticism about a game I'll just keep my thoughts to myself. I'll need to keep a reminder nearby to adhere to that rule when Drunk Me is posting.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
obviously the novelty will wear off and not everything is going to all peace and love all the time but hopefully in let's say 6 months to a years time this ethos will still be broadly followed by everyone. If the mods and admins remain as transparent as they have so far too then things should be fine. Not feeling like you're walking on eggshells all the time will be a big help to fostering a more relaxed community.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I just saw some guy get banned for a month because he thought the depiction of transgendered people on Southwark was fine, and that people who were sensitive to that stuff shouldn't play south park games cause they make fun of everyone. It felt like a legitimate perspective to me
Oof. That makes me happy to hear though (about the ban).

This won't turn into the other place. Because it has better leadership and everyone is happy that they have a place to go so they'll be less likely to start fights. It truly is a reset, the start of a new era.
I still wish they had come up with a better name, but I'll take it. At least it was more creative than New NeoGAF.

Bitterness is a creeping sickness. It tends to overtake a person or a community with the effect of a slow boil. People adjust to the new normal and don't realize how far they've come.

I think at least one bit of advice to keep in mind is that it's possible to be extremely firm about what you believe is right without being needlessly catty. Bitter hostility can feel, in the heat of the moment, like emphatic honesty and projection of strength.

One of the hardest lessons for people to learn in my experience is that it's not just about being polite to other people, including people who offend you. It's really a form of self care. Wallowing in bitterness ruins a person's personality, even there are totally valid and understandable reasons for one to be angry and bitter.

Also I agree that more transparent moderation might help prevent dogpiling. That's probably one of the biggest problems any threaded discussion forum faces.

Polaroid_64

Oct 25, 2017
I was definitely one who could be part of the problem in dogpiling. One of the things I am looking to change and help keep things positive.

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People making posts like this, and more importantly bumping their own post three times because nobody replied yet they felt that self important is really not going to help.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Too much positivity in here. I feel like I should just knock over stuff to balance things out. I dont like this one bit. You guys GOT too SOFT!

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
And the ignore button actually lets you ignore people!! There quotes and posts vanish like a fart in the wind. It's actually useful now!!!

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
People making posts like this, and more importantly bumping their own post three times because nobody replied yet they felt that self important is really not going to help.
Nah he made it when threads were gettting lost in the sauce going up like 10 a minute. There was discussion to be had, even if OP had to nudge. The tone of the thread is "let's be positive and stay positive" that's worth a bump or two imo.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As long as we all treat each other with kindness and respect, I think we won't have too much to worry about.

Peace everyone. :)

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Report button alone should cut down on people constantly drudging up posts so mods can see them. Underrated feature.