• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will we see a reveal of Dragon Quest Builders 3 in 2022?

• Yes

Votes: 36 13.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 72 27.7%
  • No

Votes: 152 58.5%

• Total voters

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
b720acdef054498f8e9535e426cd6af5.png

Dragon Quest Builders 1 was released in 2016. Its sequel was released in 2019. Next year will mark the sequel's third anniversary.

Do you think we'll get an announcement of Dragon Quest Builders 3 in 2022?

Man I sure hope so. The first Dragon Quest Builders surprised me with how much I got into it. It was basically what I wanted out of Minecraft. A story-based creation game with just the right amount of guidance. There were some improvements that could have been done, but what was there was special.

Then came the sequel, and let me tell you: it was as if the devs had made a checklist of every request that fans had made for the second game, and incorporated them into the game. It was insane. Dragon Quest Builders 2 gave me the biggest feeling of "the devs really listened to the fans" out of any game. And it was ultimately for the best, because the sequel had improved every aspect of the original game. It was even longer too! There was so much game in there. Just amazing.

So I really want Dragon Quest Builders 3 to happen. I'm a tad worried because the director of the first two games has since departed from Square. But surely that would not be enough to deter Square from financing a third game, right? Dragon Quest is a long-running franchise of theirs. Surely someone else who has worked on the games can step up and fill that role. EDIT: so I just checked and DQB2 had two directors. So yeah, I'm sure the other guy will take care of things.

I really hope we get it.

Ash Blossom

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 11, 2021
How well did this game do? That's the best barometer we have unless someone other than the director is an advocate of the series at Square.

RedNine

Sep 7, 2020
Niinou took a bunch of the main staff from Builders with him to form Type-Moon Studio BB so Builders 3 might not happen as fast as 2 since they would need to form a new main team, but it all depends on whether there's anyone at S-E trying to make it happen.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How well did this game do? That's the best barometer we have unless someone other than the director is an advocate of the series at Square.
Both games sold over a million copies. The sequel achieved that just months after getting released. So it sold well.

Niinou took a bunch of the main staff from Builders with him to form Type-Moon Studio BB so Builders 3 might not happen as fast as 2 since they would need to form a new main team, but it all depends on whether there's anyone at S-E trying to make it happen.
Damn, that sucks. :(

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
b720acdef054498f8e9535e426cd6af5.png

Dragon Quest Builders 1 was released in 2016. Its sequel was released in 2019. Next year will mark the sequel's third anniversary.

Do you think we'll get an announcement of Dragon Quest Builders 3 in 2022?

Man I sure hope so. The first Dragon Quest Builders surprised me with how much I got into it. It was basically what I wanted out of Minecraft. A story-based creation game with just the right amount of guidance. There were some improvements that could have been done, but what was there was special.

Then came the sequel, and let me tell you: it was as if the devs had made a checklist of every request that fans had made for the second game, and incorporated them into the game. It was insane. Dragon Quest Builders 2 gave me the biggest feeling of "the devs really listened to the fans" out of any game. And it was ultimately for the best, because the sequel had improved every aspect of the original game. It was even longer too! There was so much game in there. Just amazing.

So I really want Dragon Quest Builders 3 to happen. I'm a tad worried because the director of the first two games has since departed from Square. But surely that would not be enough to deter Square from financing a third game, right? Dragon Quest is a long-running franchise of theirs. Surely someone else who has worked on the games can step up and fill that role.

I really hope we get it.
I doubt it. They already have a shit load of DQ projects going.
DQ3remake
Dragon quest dai
Dragon quest 10 offline
Dragon quest 12
Dragon quest with the dq11 twins
yeah ain't happening any time soon.
and I'm still missing some other projects

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Too many other Dragon Quest titles for Builders 3 to be that close. It will happen, but probably not for a few more years. I hope they focus on next gen too if at all viable. Builders 2 was really rough in some spots.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
I voted No because I heard the team and director aren't there anymore, but I would absolutely love this to happen. 2 is one of my all time favourite games.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
I LOOOOOOOOVED Builders 1 and really liked Builders 2. It's honestly my favorite new Square Enix series.

I am hopeful we will see it next year, but if not maybe the following year.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
I think about this (potential) game all the time. It has so much potential, especially since DQ3 introduced the job system. Imagine building different buildings for each job so your villagers can change and do new quests.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Nah it's done - Ninnou left SE and they've announced their DQ slate for the next couple of years.

Looking at what Omega Force has lined up, iunno. There is potentially room.

Last edited:

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
I'd really like a Builders 3 since it'd round out the parallel trilogy nicely. DQB is tied to DQ1, DQB2 is tied to DQ2, so a DB3 would be tied to DQ3.

Lirose

May 30, 2018
I enjoyed DQB 1 & 2 so much. DQB 3 is near the very top of my wishlist of sequels to be announced. I feel like yes it will be announced next year but that may be just wishful thinking.

Nov 1, 2017
The DQ Builders games were pretty unique weren't they? You got the creative building of a Minecraft, with the simulation of a Dwarf Fortress, but simplified and given a Dragon Quest theme and with high production values.
It sucks if there isn't another one because there's sooo much you can do with this formula, especially if they dug into the simulation a bit.
Imagine a Dwarf Fortress or Rimworld with the graphics and interface of a Builders game!

Oct 25, 2017
There will be another one, but I doubt in 2022. SE has a huge number of announced games or basically-announced-but-not-really games that are possibly coming in 2022.

It being based on DQ3 means that the different chapters will be based on "real world" locations, which is a nice premise for a building game.

Last edited:

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I voted no. I just don't expect it to happen even though it would be great. I liked DQB1 but thought it had room to improve and then they made things in DQB2 soooo much better and it was fantastic. I'd love to see what changes they make for DQB3 even though I was pretty happy with the second game. I bet they'd come up with some really great stuff to add and some good quality of life improvements

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
This is a strong no, as much as I would like to say the opposite. The director who was the brain-child of this project left, and I don't think SE knows what to do with it without him, since the game still needs some tech refinements and QoL improvements.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I loved both of these games—as someone with no interest in Minecraft, these both hit the spot and made me love Dragon Quest more than actual dragon quest games! But I voted no, because of the logistics and actual likelihood. I would easily be a day-one buyer if 3 ever came out.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Builders is great, but aren't we expecting a Dragon Quest Monsters game first?

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Builders 2 ended up being a favorite of my wife and I; made the wait for Animal Crossing a lot more bearable, and was just a downright amazing game in its own right. Like yeah the things you could do with the actual building are insane, but the story and characters were genuinely amazing, and the whole last chunk of Builders 2 is one of my favorite in recent memories. So seeing all the information in here about the director and team leaving Square Enix is kind of a huge bummer

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure a third game will happen eventually considering how the two games sold but probably a longer wait after the director and some staff left.

One of the producers mentioned last year they were working on something different than Builders so maybe after whatever that is.

Nov 23, 2017
I still play Dragon Quest Builders 2 on a daily basis. Played it on Switch first, then PS5, and now Xbox Series X. I'm sticking with the Xbox version for the long haul though. My wife and I play it together a lot. I'm blowing up my entire Isle of Awakening and building a bunch of stuff in it. Sunk many hours into it and don't plan on stopping.

I would LOVE a 3. Here is what I would want:

1. Make the story in 3 less bloaty than the second one. Make it more like the first but somewhat bigger.
2. Don't lock anything to story mode. Make everything in free build unlockable right away.
3. Don't impose any item, room, and people limits on your islands.
4. Instead of a bunch of small islands used for resources, make fewer but larger islands with more resources that you can make Infinite.
5. Speaking of resources, get rid of the item checker quests on each island. One of the least fun parts of the game.
6. Allow yourself to get more depth when placing blocks, especially with the transformer trial.

Nathan

Oct 27, 2017
I love these games but I don't think they're actively planning anything new for this series, unfortunately. Would love a new one with even more multiplayer options.

mudron

Feb 13, 2020
Man, I hope so, because Dragon Quest Builders 2 is now one of my all-time favorite ROGs despite me bouncing off the first game like puff-puff.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
The only DQ games (apart from Rocket Slime) that I care about. It finally gave the Minecraft formula enough structure for me to be enjoyable.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
I'd love one, especially if it follows tradition and is based off an alternate take on DQ3. As someone who never really got into Minecraft, I was a bit surprised how much I loved the first 2 (of course, nostalgia played a big part). I'm just hoping if they do make one it's a bit less handholdy than 2 and they cut back on the tower defense segments.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I'd love Builders 3, but I don't think it's happening with all the other games they're working on. Maybe after 12, 10 offline, and 3 remake.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Dammit I thought the bump was going to be news. I'll probably end up buying DQB2 on PC and replaying it while I wait.

Jul 26, 2018
Is it any good? I've done my fair share of Minecraft, and I tried this game on release but after 10 minutes of conversations I dropped it. Just let me play ><

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I had fun with the demo of Builders 1, spent a lot of time exploring and doing all I could until I reached the boundaries, then I bought the game and couldn't get back into it. It's like I did my time already and don't feel like it anymore. I'm not sure.

I'm still kinda interested though. Is it worth jumping back into? Should I play Builders 2 instead? Which game is better in your opinion?

For what it's worth, this song is forever stuck in my head:

Last edited:

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I had fun with the demo of Builders 1, spent a lot of time exploring and doing all I could until I reached the boundaries, then I bought the game and couldn't get back into it. It's like I did my time already and don't feel like it anymore. I'm not sure.

I'm still kinda interested though. Is it worth jumping back into? Should I play Builders 2 instead? Which game is better in your opinion?
Builders 2 is much better

but play Builders 1 too

grumpybat

Apr 12, 2021
USA
We need this. Builders 2 was super relaxing to play and got me through 2020 with my sanity mostly intact.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
Builders 2 was so good and such an improvement over Builders in my opinion. I'd love to see what they would change for a builders 3 but I don't really see it happening sadly.

I'd love to be wrong though

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Builders 2 was phenomenal, only let down by some pretty terrible performance on Switch. Would love a Builders 3.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
Builders 2 was probably the best sequel I've ever played, it improved on every element of the first (already a very good game) in every way. I would LOVE a DQB3.

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
i have #1 coming in the mail 🤤

they should complete the mirrored trilogy

then make dragon quest builders 6: an alternate universe where Terry didn't grow up to be an anime dickhead but instead discovered the pleasures of building things

then builders 5 where to have to rebuild your marriage

then builders 4: torneko gets a bigger shop

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who put a lot of time into 1, I liked it a lot and wasn't expecting the sequel to improve on basically everything that annoyed me. Really enjoyed 2 and hope it gets a sequel, but I don't think it'll be any time soon if it does.

There's enough to enjoy with 2 though that I almost don't even mind. I'll be fine if they take their time tbh.

2 is a lot better. Lots of great QoL changes, a longer campaign, way more music and content. Just a more ambitious game in general.

Game is veeeeeerry text heavy though, so some patience may be required at times.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017

For what it's worth, this song is forever stuck in my head:

2 has a pretty big demo, so you might try that, and maybe you'll feel like you're satiated again by the end of it.