• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Yes i agree and i wish wish you got something for getting a platinum, maybe an exclusive avatar or something just to gloat

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
I couldn't care less about trophies but it would make so much sense for those who get the platinum to be given an avatar, exclusive theme, weapon etc.. like it's already the case in some games.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Games should have a platinum but there is a lot of shovelware on the PS4, including games that are only designed for easy trophies. "Games" like My Name is Mayo are exploitative, in my opinion. I kinda wish those types were denied having a platinum.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
As far as I'm concerned, they completely remove trophies. Or give me an option to turn that shit off at least.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck trophies/cheevos, season passes, microtransactions, and loot boxes -- the four horsemen of the gaming apocalypse.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree completely, OP. I've always thought it was fucked-up that a game like Spelunky, which has some hard-as-fuck trophies, doesn't have a Platinum, but something like My Name is Mayo has a Platinum that can be achieved super quickly for doing nothing but clicking over and over again.

Microsoft evened everything out, and Sony should copy them just like they did with the trophy system in the first place.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Horrible idea.

I never liked the xbox system as it just ends up some number that doesn't tell you anything.

I can look at someones trophy list and instantly see what sort of player they are because of how many platinums they have.
So what you're saying is you like window dressing? Because that's literally all the trophies are. There is still a score assigned to it you just see it as broke, silver or gold. And well yeah, it's still a number.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
With game development costs increasing and crunch still a thing the low priority features are always going to get cut. Trophies and Achievements are bottom of the list.

OTOH, if you build your infrastructure with then in mind they're not too difficult to add in many cases (although it also depends on the nature of what you're trying to detect, of course!)... and since this is about platinums specifically, those are explicitly 'free' from a coding standpoint, as I understand it; the triggering event doesn't take place within the game code. You'd just have to cover the text (including translations) and the artwork, I believe?

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I see the trophy haters have already infested this thread.

I agree, every title should have a plat.
It incentivises me to play games I would never be interested in. That's a win for the dev in my book.....

AxeVince

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting. I still wonder how having the platinum would make the QA bump up that much though. I mean we still see glitched trophies and the like all the time afterall. Is having the trigger for all trophies linked to the final platinum trigger that much of an additional resource?
You need to make sure every trophy works independantly and the platinum can be unlocked.
If it's simply "play the game for X hours" trophies, it's simple, but if it's "kill all those specific characters", you need to make a bunch of things to try to bug those characters, then see if you can still kill them or not. If they are used throughout the world, make sure nothing can make them disappear without the player knowledge etc... Those "tries" to break the game take a long time. And if you have 50 trophies, it's getting longer obviously.
The unlock of the platinum is on Sony's side iirc. As soon as all other trophies are unlocked, you get the platinum.

The reason why some trophies do not trigger is beyond the simple goal of it, it's often because the player has made a series of actions that, in the end, caused a problem. That series of action can be so intricate that neither Sony QC or the dev QC would have thought it would block the trophy's unlock condition (which is often why devs ask for savegames, they can see with it *what* is locked and extrapolate why.

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
I like to keep a record of my playthrough. No dicks involved lol
This forever. Well-thought out trophy/achievement lists are like a journal or photo album, without all the work involved in curating. So ultimately I don't mind that it's not specifically a platinum trophy waiting at the end.

It bothers me more that I can get a platinum trophy and still be at "38% complete" because I don't want to spend additional money on DLC.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I love trophies but I would rather if the whole achievement/trophy system was retired.

I hate trophies and i always disable them if possible, alongside any other pop ups during my gameplay. I also think they are poison for young minds, pushing them to waste their time collecting worthless digital trophies instead of real life rewards (AKA money and fitness).

Like it or not, gaming is a fundamentally unhealthy activity (as are chess, card and board games, dominoes and reading) and it should be limited in time because human bodies are garbage that can't handle a little idleness. Anything that undermines this, such as trophies, is harmful.

i say this as someone who personally wishes they had spent less time playing games and more time swimming and playing soccer in the street.

My health would have been much improved.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hate trophies and i always disable them if possible, alongside any other pop ups during my gameplay. I also think they are poison for young minds, pushing them to waste their time collecting worthless digital trophies instead of real life rewards (AKA money and fitness).

Like it or not, gaming is a fundamentally unhealthy activity (as are chess, card and board games, dominoes and reading) and it should be limited in time because human bodies are garbage that can't handle a little idleness. Anything that undermines this, such as trophies, is harmful.

i say this as someone who personally wishes they had spent less time playing games and more time swimming and playing soccer in the street.

My health would have been much improved.

I love this. You can't just not like trophies. No... you gotta take it to the level that it's actively hurting children. Yikes.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So what you're saying is you like window dressing? Because that's literally all the trophies are. There is still a score assigned to it you just see it as broke, silver or gold. And well yeah, it's still a number.
I'm talking about ease of use, being able to gauge someone's enthusiasm quickly etc.

Not sure what the big issue is really.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I'm talking about ease of use, being able to gauge someone's enthusiasm quickly etc.

Not sure what the big issue is really.

You're trying to say it's easier to gauge enthusiasm by looking at a breakdown of trophy types vs seeing that someone has 200k gamerscore? I'd have to disagree. The bigger the number the more you play. Easy. If you want breakdowns theirs a gamerscore leaderboard, and in depth comparisons and a lot of games have statistics built into the achievement app.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I think it should be up to devs, for sure.

One thing I absolutely hate though: if you are going to remake/remaster an important game from a time before trophies existed, you absolutely need a platinum and a thoughtful trophy list. It's unbelievable that games like Ape Escape 2 and Resident Evil 4 dont have platinums, and RE4's trophy list is pathetic for how amazingly varied and robust the systems are

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, so I can avoid the accusation of being a drive-by troller for saying I think trophies should be dumped...

The achievement numbers and trophy levels and all this have been around for so long that they are essentially meaningless at this point, I can obtain no real information from viewing anyone else's data. And that's really the only reason they exist right, which is to show other people what you did in the game, basically "how long you played it."

That's why Nintendo's approach is infinitely better, you can view a list of games your friends have played and how many hours they've played them. It removes the obsfucation from the long list of barely-parseable data that trophies give and says "your friend has played the game this much." It allows for more meaningful conversations about game progress between friends, which is really all it's meant to facilitate anyway, and it removes the pressure--even if passive--from feeling like you are playing a game incompletely or wrong if you don't get them all, which virtually nobody does, even if you feel very satisfied with what you've done in the game.

In game lists of accomplishments, goals, milestones, sure, whatever, let the dev decide. But I hate that there's a system-wide list of what you've done that anyone can see with trophies, I hate that I have to see it, I hate that the ones I can see my friends get are either meaningless or they're hidden cause they're spoilers. Give me a counter of playtime for friends and that's it. Stop letting these arbitrary lists dictate how to play a game or what finishing a game means.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who used to go out of my way to get platinum trophies, the sooner you stop caring, the better your life will be. It's a sickness.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
You're trying to say it's easier to gauge enthusiasm by looking at a breakdown of trophy types vs seeing that someone has 200k gamerscore? I'd have to disagree. The bigger the number the more you play. Easy. If you want breakdowns theirs a gamerscore leaderboard, and in depth comparisons and a lot of games have statistics built into the achievement app.
Someone could play 1,000 games and only get 10 gamerscore on each or they could play 100 games and have 50 platinum trophies.

Under your logic the first person is more enthusiastic about games which from a pure numbers perspective would be true, but from a completionist perspective the second person would be much more enthusiastic.

I can judge that with trophies in a sec but for a gamerscore method it would take longer.

Also from a purely personal and aesthetic level, having a platinum trophy means more then just having a full score.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, that's too much priority given to something that only like 2-5% of people care enough about to even attempt to get. Priority should be for things that affect/interest everyone or at least most people.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I love going for trophies (only on games I really like) but I don't think every game needs a Platinum. It's usually the smaller games that don't and it fits.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I love this. You can't just not like trophies. No... you gotta take it to the level that it's actively hurting children. Yikes.

1. It wasn't meant to be an attack on you.
2. I wouldn't want my children exposed to video game trophies for the reasons I mentioned.

If you have an argument to offer as to why I am wrong, I am more than willing to read it :)