• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they should be mandatory. It would be easier if developers didn't have to worry about them at all.

I will always hold a grudge against achievements/trophies for helping to kill off save game sharing.
DLC and online games played a role in that too, but I want to be able to share saves for single player stuff.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I would rather if the whole achievement/trophy system was retired.
This. Honestly, it kind of weirds me out to see some people proudly proclaim that they'll skip an entire game over trophies, I mean come on. If you're playing the games just for trophies or achievements, then you're more interested in the dick measuring contest than you are enjoying the game.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
This. Honestly, it kind of weirds me out to see some people proudly proclaim that they'll skip an entire game over trophies, I mean come on. If you're playing the games just for trophies or achievements, then you're more interested in the dick measuring contest than you are enjoying the game.

Hey, 10 platinums scores you $10 worth of Sony Rewards points

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't care about platinums, but don't understand why some indies don't have them. Should be standard.

I like to keep a record of my playthrough. No dicks involved lol

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
And if they don't do it, at least do not show platinum trophy icon in the general trophy list for games that actually do not have one!

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I do agree that the policy on platinum trophies should be made consistent, but in general I don't really care if they exist or not. Getting all the trophies without receiving a platinum is almost exactly the same to me.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea why anyone puts any merit into trophies.

I platinumed Bloodborne and Gravity Rush because they were fun games to play and I wanted to explore all their content, not so I could get a little jpeg on my PS4.
Some of the things you have to do in Bloodborne are pretty specific for the platinum so you obviously must've cared somewhat.

Why do people always have this mentality and post where and say they don't care about trophies. This isn't to discuss the trophy merit system.

The OP is right, all games should have a platinum. To use the latest example, why did Konami give Arcade Classics a platinum last month but not Castlevania Collection? These games are longer too and have lots more content in terms of length and variety.

It makes no sense and not only that, it has a measly 14 trophies spread across for all 8 games. They could have added all sorts of stuff in there and put in more imaginative and creative ones, such as finding all the secret rooms in Super Castlevania IV? Beating without continues?

I think it's just Konami and some other developers being out of touch when games don't have platinums and not having a clue how to implement trophies. They rush these out last minute just so they can be approved by Sony and meet the minimum requirements. This is Konami too though so I'm not surprised.

One thing I've noticed though is you do get a lot less platinumless games than a few years ago at least. Nearly all games have platinums these days. But this latest Castlevania one is both surprising and disappointing, especially after last months collection.

Last edited:

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Considering the ranking of trophies is all over the place (There was a time where I had less overall trophies than someone else, yet had a higher trophy level than them).
It's not all over the place.
The ranking of trophies is determined as
Each bronze nets you 15 rank points
Silver 30 points
Gold 90 points
Platinum 180 points
So you just need a higher amount of high valued trophies to have a higher rank with less trophies than your friend.

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed Sony's trophy policy is weird af. Check out the trophy set for Hitman 2, that game has a whopping 3250 points with no platinum.

Also as GaaS becomes the new trend, sony really need some tweak on the trophy system.

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
It's not all over the place.
The ranking of trophies is determined as
Each bronze nets you 15 rank points
Silver 30 points
Gold 90 points
Platinum 180 points
So you just need a higher amount of high valued trophies to have a higher rank with less trophies than your friend.
Exactly, there are games with 11 gold in their trophy set vs ones with 40 bronze in their trophy sets. But the totaly points have to be arond 1200.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I hunted and got 11 plat trophies on one the hardest games to get it on. It killed my enjoyments of the games it made me sure sick of them. Then I played on pc and switch and its such a fuckin relief.

I just wish plat trophies is acquired when you finish the main sp story then if there is extra missions and such they can add them as gold trophies no more.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. I still wonder how having the platinum would make the QA bump up that much though. I mean we still see glitched trophies and the like all the time afterall. Is having the trigger for all trophies linked to the final platinum trigger that much of an additional resource?
Not really as the Platinum trophy linking process is automated by the tool, and the unlocking of the Platinum is entirely outside the game's code. The only additional resource is art & localization, as the Platinum needs an icon and have its text translated in all supported languages. For QA the workload of testing the Platinum specifically is minimal, they need to unlock all the trophies anyway to ensure the game makes it past certification, and just need to check an extra 20 seconds after unlocking the last non-platinum base trophy.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I was surprised to see Shakedown: Hawaii didn't have a platinum because the game is pretty expensive and seems to have enough content to fit trophies in to.

Saying that, the size and price deciding if a game has a plat has always seemed like a myth. You've got Ratalaika games making a name for themselves publishing cheap and quick plat games.

What I want from trophies on PS5 is to be more than just a tab on your profile page. Something like that league table with friends the Xbox One had showing who got what that month. Or one time event trophies like achievements have. I do prefer trophies to achievements because that just ends up looking like a barcode number. But they do need to have a bit more to them.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why anyone cares about virtual trophies, but more power to those who want it, I guess?

Personally, I wish there was an option to turn off trophies system-wide.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I like trophies as its an extention on how I get through life in general.

There should be an option to turn them off for the people who don't like them but not at the expense of people who like them.

If Nintendo had them I would invest more in Switch. I think I have 2 games, once I finished the main campaign I dropped them. But I would invest another 30 or 40 hours in another game for the platinum

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
The trophy system has always sucked imo. Too many tiers, what one dev thinks is worth a gold another might think it's a bronze and the player thinks silver.

Should just have been numeric like achievements were imo. Oh and I agree with the platinum stuff, what decides if a game gets a plat or not? Price?
What you mean where one dev thinks an achievement is worth 100 and another 25. There is no difference.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want my achievement score to be converted to pounds and taken off the cost of the next Xbox. Only fair.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather trophies just done away if people are going to base value on a game's merit on an arbitrary list of objectives that are an external force outside of the game.

And yet some people enjoy Trophies.

Platinum trophy doesn't exist on "inde game" or "cheap game" (or Retro) since PS3. I doubt they change.

This is simply not true. I could name a metric ton of indie or "cheap" games that have a Platinum Trophy. Have a few:

Emerald Shores
My Name Is Mayo
Little Adventure on the Prairie
Slyde
Awesome Pea
Super Life of Pixel
Orc Slayer
Energy Cycle (Edge)
Sigi: A Fart for Melusina
All of Ratalaika games.
Most, if not all, of Sometimes You games.

And so on and so forth.

Yes it does. Whe you go online and all people want to do is try to get an achievement/trophy and won't let you enjoy the game.

This is the same as complaining about competitive multiplayer because you only play casual or the story mode. Not everything needs to be for everyone, and if Trophies bother you that much, stop interacting with people who enjoy hunting them down. It's fair easier (and more fair) than trying to prevent others from enjoying a game just because you don't like they way they are playing.

Lightning1981

Mar 31, 2019
I can understand platinum being a big deal for some people but for me I just don't care about that. I honestly want the opposite, I want Sony to give gamers the option of deleting that crap from the game as, in my opinion, many trophies are just a piss take and are just unnecessary.

I need to really really like a game in order to go for the platinum and even then it depends on what the requirements are.

Sony should give the option of deleting trophies and even blocking them from appearing in game or in the menus. I feel they should satisfy both parties with that.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I can understand platinum being a big deal for some people but for me I just don't care about that. I honestly want the opposite, I want Sony to give gamers the option of deleting that crap from the game as, in my opinion, many trophies are just a piss take and are just unnecessary.

I need to really really like a game in order to go for the platinum and even then it depends on what the requirements are.

Sony should give the option of deleting trophies and even blocking them from appearing in game or in the menus. I feel they should satisfy both parties with that.
I mean you can disable trophy notifications if you want

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Eh, just switch over to a level system full stop. Trophies are already bullshit. Each trophy technically has a gamer score which is tied to experience to level up. Platinum is just an extra XP boost for and a status thing rather than making any actual sense. You should just hope they revamp the whole thing. They took a simple concept (high score, every little bit helps) and fucked it up.
Horrible idea.

I never liked the xbox system as it just ends up some number that doesn't tell you anything.

I can look at someones trophy list and instantly see what sort of player they are because of how many platinums they have.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This is the same as complaining about competitive multiplayer because you only play casual or the story mode. Not everything needs to be for everyone, and if Trophies bother you that much, stop interacting with people who enjoy hunting them down. It's fair easier (and more fair) than trying to prevent others from enjoying a game just because you don't like they way they are playing.

How is it the same thing? I don't complain when I go into a match and play it competitively. My issue is someone coming in and is begging to help them get an achievement and if you don't help them they start killing off each other. Or you have those players who come in, join your team only for their friend on the opposite team kill them so they can get the kills they need for an achievement. And how do you know who are the ones hunting for trophies or achievements if they don't say so? I stop caring about achievements / trophies a long time ago but not once did I say in my post that they should get rid of them. Whether you want to believe it or not, it does affect your enjoyment of playing an online game. Please.

Horrible idea.

I never liked the xbox system as it just ends up some number that doesn't tell you anything.

I can look at someones trophy list and instantly see what sort of player they are because of how many platinums they have.

Whats the difference? If I remember correctly, you can look up how many games a player 100% on the Xbox. LOL there is no difference at all. I think you are fooling yourself into thinking their is a difference.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I like platinum trophies, even though I only have four of them and one is from the telltale batman game.

Lightning1981

Mar 31, 2019
I mean you can disable trophy notifications if you want
I know but not actual trophies. I don't like going into my list and it saying I've completed 71% of trophies but the balance of trophies are just there to add hours of doing the same thing over and over again with no real point. That's my issue with trophies. I don't game online, don't show them to anyone, they serve no purpose for me but after obtaining your first trophy they can no longer be deleted to my knowledge.

So Sony should satisfy both. Platinum compulsary but also have the delete option to remove them entirely for those who don't care for them.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
If they're well done they encourage players to explore/develop new skills etc. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with them it's just how they're often implemented that's the issue.

I couldn't tell you anything about how many trophies I've got or what level I am though. The little notification icon that pops up on screen is about as far as I go and TBH I do quite the metaphorical pat on the back they give me - unless it's just for completing a level 'cos that shit be lazy!

I think I said in another thread it'd be good if devs tied trophies/achievements into tangible rewards. If you look at Fortnite challenges you get some sort of cosmetic item for doing well. It'd be good to see that implemented in other games i.e. in something like Uncharted if you do something well that requires skill, for example killing 5 enemies with one grenade, you get a new photo mode filter or facial expression alongside your trophy. Stuff that's fairly small in scale and cheap to do but actually gives you something for your efforts.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
It is a weird inconsistency. On the one hand Plats don't actually mean much in and of themselves, they're just an indication you've got all the other achievements, so it seems an odd thing to be particularly desirable; on the other hand, though, because of those traits, it seems an odd thing to have or have not on a per-game basis.

Oh, I just noticed they give points that can be exchanged for discounts in the US somehow? That seems incongruous.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I know but not actual trophies. I don't like going into my list and it saying I've completed 71% of trophies but the balance of trophies are just there to add hours of doing the same thing over and over again with no real point. That's my issue with trophies. I don't game online, don't show them to anyone, they serve no purpose for me but after obtaining your first trophy they can no longer be deleted to my knowledge.

So Sony should satisfy both. Platinum compulsary but also have the delete option to remove them entirely for those who don't care for them.

Then... don't go into your trophy list?

I'm struggling to understand what the issue is, here; there are certainly reasonable criticisms of individual trophies (and the examples you gave are fair ones), but it seems your criticism is inherently dependent on you engaging with the feature in the first place!

Lightning1981

Mar 31, 2019
Then... don't go into your trophy list?

I'm struggling to understand what the issue is, here; there are certainly reasonable criticisms of individual trophies (and the examples you gave are fair ones), but it seems your criticism is inherently dependent on you engaging with the feature in the first place!
But it's there. I get I can just ignore it, which I currently do, but wouldn't the best option be for there to be an option to delete it altogether for those of us who don't care about that?

Again no issue with those who love the system and want to chase trophies etc and want platinum compulsary to reward their work in a game. All fair, but shouldn't be compulsary to be in everyone's list who don't care for it.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
But it's there. I get I can just ignore it, which I currently do, but wouldn't the best option be for there to be an option to delete it altogether for those of us who don't care about that?

Again no issue with those who love the system and want to chase trophies etc and want platinum compulsary to reward their work in a game. All fair, but shouldn't be compulsary to be in everyone's list who don't care for it.

I don't think you'd get deletion for several reasons - they're not just for the player, they're sometimes used for feedback and research metrics from the game developers (which is perhaps a fair criticism as well, there's a snoopy overtone to them!), and they're tied to the account so you'd be asking for two distinct account types; one with stored trophies, one with none.

The most realistic option would be to hide the icon in the UI, I guess. The data would still be there, of course, but I guess that would make the UI do the ignoring for you. This still wouldn't do anything for those games that integrate the trophy or achievement system into the game code itself, of course, and at that point we're on 'additional workload' territory.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017

Opting out of trophies will never be option.

They provide an incredible amount of information to companies from the massive databases they sync with.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think every release needs a platinum. Many releases come with poorly handled trophies without polish but thick padding. Better to give them the option to shrink it if devs don't care.

For legendary games like CV it's a major pain because because here got an opportunity to go wild with so many games and make people play and discover your game in many new ways. They completely missed their opportunity like so many other retro releases where people just credit feed to the end for 15 min. and forget what they've just played. One of the biggest blunder in this regard is the Capcom belt collection. A favorite release with a tiny list of trophies. They handled this way better in the japanese D&D release.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At the very least have an automatic generic platinum trophy. If Devs don't want to add one then the game defaults to that.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I only have 2 Platinums, Blazblue and Bloodborne. Anyone knows of another game with BB as initials that I can Plat to finish the trilogy?

Star Falcon

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
With game development costs increasing and crunch still a thing the low priority features are always going to get cut. Trophies and Achievements are bottom of the list.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why are people acting like these random external things that have nothing to do with pricing or availability can somehow be used to measure a game's worth to devs? The vast majority of consumers will never play a game nearly long enough to hear or care about what trophies they're getting, so it's weird to read so much into which ones you can get in different games.

Genuine kudos to you for chasing them, but trophies are niche after-thoughts for most.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised it doesn't have a platinum. This one and Resident Evil 4 are a bummer.

Trophies are dumb. Bye.
Trophies are alright depending on your completionist tendencies. Hi.

Why are people doing shitty driveby posts to call trophies dumb and then leave? Allergic to actual discussion?

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
I never understand this fascination and/or obsession over platinum trophies. I bought and finished a ton of ps3 and ps4 games, and I haven't had a single platinum trophy.
I do aim to finish games 100%, but it's in regards to content instead of getting that trophy. Looking back, the closest I got was Horizon, I'm one bronze short, the one that requires you to knock down all training dummies. And I have no intention to just restart the game to get that.

So, long story short, Sony really doesn't need to have a platinum trophy for every title imho.