• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Come to think of it, I've only ever had avocado in guacamole, I think. But that's pretty good!

Like someone said, you may also have had a bad avocado, and maybe you should have another just to make sure. I thought mangoes were crap at first because I had one that tasted like salmon that had been out in the sun for a day or two. But now it's one of my favourite fruits.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Avocados were made by god to give the human race a taste of heaven. Eat hass avocado though the others are trash.

Also don't forget to add a bit of salt.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine they were never really a thing in Germany until recently because they're grown on the other side of the world. I also wouldn't be surprised if the avocados available in Germany aren't that great for that reason, but I don't know if that's the case.

They're on the bland side, but I'm happy to eat them sliced up with a little salt and/or a squeeze of lime.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like the OP ate one raw.
That's prolly not going to taste good for the first time.

If your first experience is guac that's compeltely different.

That's my guess too. And I don't know too many people who just eat raw avocado salted or not, it's pretty much always a pair to something else.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Guacamole is fine but yeah avocados on their own are pretty grim. Largely slimy and pretty bland. Come to think of it I don't know if the guacamole is actually decent either really since I only ever use it as a dip for something that's bringing most of the flavour itself.

Oct 27, 2017
D1kgM8yXQAAtR_x.png

OP
OP
Man with Knife
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I'm not sure I have the willpower to try another one with salt, pepper or all the other stuff you posted. If I do and survive it, I'll update the thread. Might take a couple of years or decades though.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what you expected but.

Avocado is like a fruit made out of butter. It should be treated like butter in cooking and in consumption. Its savory profile should go with salt, not sugar. Try having it with some bread and salt and pepper.

Also umami. IIRC they contain a good amount of natural MSG and adding more boosts the flavour ime.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They never really were a thing here in Germany (now I know why) until hipsters "discovered" them a couple of years ago.

You know that uncomfortable feeling shortly before puking? You know it's gonna happen in ten minutes and you know there's not a damn thing you can do about it? That's what it feels like eating an avocado.

Now, I assume there are some very good recipes with avocado, but if there are, it's despite of it, not because of it.

I also know that there are many different varieties of avocados, but I'm sure they all taste like trash.

So what's the point of this thread? I guess it's a warning to all avocado virgins like me: Don't do it! Stay celibate!
It's not the avocado that is trash, it's your taste buds. You should seek medical help with that

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
And you lived to tell the tale, good for you! It's the mouth feel of avocado that I can't stand. Flavor is, whatever, since you dress it up with lemon, salt, toast, etc. Just can't get over the sliminess of it all.
Nothing like giving something a big hit of flavor by virtue of... toast and salt.

What kind of avocados, OP? The avocado game has levels. West coastis king, east coast gets some good ones, Europe in my experience has been a crapshoot. Mostly non-haas big ass ones, which are super sub par. And even the haas ones I had were 50/50. Some were what I want and expect, some much less so, be it from just being not good, or very commonly not being ripe enough.

That said, it's fat. It's nature's butter as far as taste and texture. Subtle, fatty, smooth, creamy.

Your loss though. They're expensive, 1 less consumer to hike the prices up further.

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also you can pulverize/process it with a bunch of cocoa powder and some sugar (and a pinch of salt) to make a really delicious dark chocolate pudding. It sounds gross but it's actually pretty great imo.

Also GOAT tier vegan sandwich lube. The applications of avocados are staggering so I pity anyone who can't see their potential.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
It's feeling like avocado is the new bacon. People hyping it up to the heavens, like bacon some years ago. Avocado is good, guac is good, but it's never an absolute essential for me. I'll always take it when it's there. But I never catch myself thinking man, this needed avocado.

-A Californian.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'm sorry you have bad taste OP.

Either that or you bought a bad avocado.

I'm not sure I have the willpower to try another one with salt, pepper or all the other stuff you posted. If I do and survive it, I'll update the thread. Might take a couple of years or decades though.

If you don't like it plain, then you probably just don't like it.

I add sliced avocado to my sandwiches sometimes and its delicious. And even though its a meme, avocado toast is pretty good as well.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I eat avocado pure. No salt no nothing. Eat it just like fruit. Very filling for late night when I wanna eat something that is not unhealthy.

Maven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I'll agree with you OP in the sense it's not all that to get crazy about

But, a good homemade avocado dip with lots of garlic is delicious with pita or chips tastes good once in awhile

Coleslaw

Nov 3, 2018
They never really were a thing here in Germany (now I know why) until hipsters "discovered" them a couple of years ago.

You know that uncomfortable feeling shortly before puking? You know it's gonna happen in ten minutes and you know there's not a damn thing you can do about it? That's what it feels like eating an avocado.

Now, I assume there are some very good recipes with avocado, but if there are, it's despite of it, not because of it.

I also know that there are many different varieties of avocados, but I'm sure they all taste like trash.

So what's the point of this thread? I guess it's a warning to all avocado virgins like me: Don't do it! Stay celibate!

Thank you, I don't actively dislike their actual taste as much as you (not a fan though), but they truly are an overrated trend food.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Also, for the raw avocado detractors, you know there's a window of ripeness for them right? Like with any fruit or vegetable? You have to get them or wait for them to be just a little soft to the touch. You don't want them mushy, but just right before that state.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
CELDlhpWgAApfyV.jpg

Avocado is not intended to be eaten alone. What's next, you are going to tell me you hate chiles too? :(

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As another poster said, eating avocado with a spoon is about as appealing as eating butter with a spoon. At least spread it on some bread or something.

Deleted member 5549

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
chocolate protein powder + avocado + banana + "milk" of your choice? tastes like chocolatey air!

...blend it, of course.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Did you just

bite into the avocado? Because, ugh. Don't do that. Put some cream cheese on toast, turn the avocado into mush, spread it above it, salt, paper, though? Amazing.
Now i'm imagine OP biting into an avocado, skin and all like an apple lol
Eating an avocado by itself it like eating an onion by itself, it's not how its meant to be eaten.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't eat avocado by itself. At least not at the beginning.

You eat avocado by itself once you're obnoxious about how good avocado is.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017

Guac, my dude, Guac.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017

Fresh avocado with a little salt is really the best.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
The avocadoes I had in Europe were not as good as the ones we have in the US.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
You're fine OP.

I slowly introduced myself to avocado by eating guacamole, it had to have lime and pico mixed.

From there I started eating avocado slices straight with egg and toast.

All it takes is a bad one to keep me from eating them for a long time. I don't know what it is that if I eat a bad piece, every one after that tastes as bad. We had a recall a couple months ago so I don't know if that impacted anything.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Avocados have a gooey texture that can be weird at first, especially if you aren't expecting it.

But they're good.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Avocado mostly tastes of nothing and I love it

Wait, people don't eat avocado plain???? Huh