• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
lmao that was my first thought

also OP if you've already confronted your neighbor about this he's gonna know it's you fucking with him. bad idea. unless you're moving soon or something. don't get in a passive aggressive arms race with your neighbor.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure everyone that has lived next to him has confronted him. I'm referring to the people that live on the other side of him. Since I've lived here-10 years-4 families have moved out from that home.

He's a total asshole-I posted on the old site about some HOA trouble I had with him-he's just a constant pain in my side.

Oct 25, 2017
China
After listening to one of the more recent rooster teeth podcasts where they talked about how these are used to shut down presentations at conventions, meetings, and anywhere else people might be minding their own business, all I can think is that you're probably just going to become one of those assholes too... best of luck with it.
I had the watch version in the 90's can confirm this is true.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Stick it to a drone
Fly it through the neighborhood
Turn off each TV

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this on a Reddit post and as soon as I did, I had to have it.

41PUAchPk6L.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006GD9CE/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Small keychain device for turning off obtrusive TVs at bars and restaurants
  • Contains 209 separate turn-off codes for nearly every TV model and cycles through entire list in fewer than 69 seconds!
  • Lightweight and discreet key ring attachment; range of up to 50 feet

My neighbor blasts his TV and subwoofer like an asshole and it comes through our walls. I've asked him in the past to just please turn it down a tad and maybe reduce the bass, but he got defensive and said it was his right-and since then he's been punitive and only done it more. I'm hoping to use this to turn his TV off when it starts up and fuck with this head a bit. I don't think it will go through walls, but maybe I can do it from outside on my patio.

If he's got a woofer he is most likely running it via receiver so if you shut off his tv the sound won't stop...

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could probably complain about your neighbor to the city. See if they have noise ordinance for certain times of the day.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
You could do it with an arduino/raspberry and set it at random times, multiple times a day. That way you wouldn't be a suspect!

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is it IR or RF based? If IR, it won't work without a direct line-of-sight, correct?
Sometimes the IR light can reflect of surfaces enough to work. I could point many of my old TV remotes directly away from the TV and still issue commands. But that doesn't work with my current TV. I suppose it depends on how bright the IR is.

But it most certainly will not work through a wall. You'll need to at least have a way of pointing it at a window in the room where the devices reside, and I think windows may block IR light? So the window might need to be open.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Could probably complain about your neighbor to the city. See if they have noise ordinance for certain times of the day.

I've thought about that. But my wife didn't want to do anything for fear that he would be looking for revenge. He looks like Jack from RE7 and is a die hard Trump supporter.

We had an issue with the water in our fridge leaking and it went through his wall. Long story short-HE didn't believe in paying for homeowner's insurance-but he wanted OUR homeowner's insurance to just cut him a check. He even told them that it completely flooded his downstairs (not true-I had an inspector over to examine), it gave his dog pnuemonia, etc. Our HOA requires that homeowners have homeowners insurance and my insurance company was battling him over this. He even started emailing them telling lies about me so that I wouldn't be compensated by my own insurance company for my damage. During this entire time-every day when we came home from work, he would be standing in his driveway just glaring at us.

Everyone in the neighborhood is freaked out by this guy. He's a wacko. My other neighbor who is a good friend actually had the misfortune of going into "Jack Baker"s house one day and he said there were doll heads hanging on the walls everywhere. My wife found his Twitter account - and he was begging Betsy Devos to give him a job.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I've thought about that. But my wife didn't want to do anything for fear that he would be looking for revenge. He looks like Jack from RE7 and is a die hard Trump supporter.

We had an issue with the water in our fridge leaking and it went through his wall. Long story short-HE didn't believe in paying for homeowner's insurance-but he wanted OUR homeowner's insurance to just cut him a check. He even told them that it completely flooded his downstairs (not true-I had an inspector over to examine), it gave his dog pnuemonia, etc. Our HOA requires that homeowners have homeowners insurance and my insurance company was battling him over this. He even started emailing them telling lies about me so that I wouldn't be compensated by my own insurance company for my damage. During this entire time-every day when we came home from work, he would be standing in his driveway just glaring at us.

Everyone in the neighborhood is freaked out by this guy. He's a wacko. My other neighbor who is a good friend actually had the misfortune of going into "Jack Baker"s house one day and he said there were doll heads hanging on the walls everywhere. My wife found his Twitter account - and he was begging Betsy Devos to give him a job.
I was down with your plan until this post. Now I'm worried for you.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone

Dalek I'm going to miss you

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an equivalent for speakers? I've got neighbours that like to blast music at 4am over the fence.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting for the follow up "My neighbor just kicked the shit out of me I can't stop crying help" thread.
after the detail about his neighbor having a bunch of doll heads nailed to the wall, i'm just hoping he doesn't end up in a dumpster. jesus!

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

OP gonna get fucked up in his own house

Ql3q8R4.gif

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Noisy neighbors deserve much worse. Good luck op.

if only I had something to stop my upstairs neighbors tap dancing with steel toes god fucking damnit

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Have you ever thought about just sitting down with him over a meal, like a rational adult, and slipping rat poison in his food?

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why do things like that even exist? So much power with so little.
These things exist only because they can exist. The problem was TVs sticking to the same form of open remote control for decades when it things should have switched to some kind of coded radio system ages ago.

Although there are benefits in the openness of IR.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
Obtrusive TVs at bars? Jeez, just go to a different bar. This is a tool made almost exclusively for self-entitled pricks.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
why is this thing taking 69 seconds to cycle through 209 items lol. if i had 69 remotes i could move faster.